Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 7
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:28 pm

I know mention my issue with drinking soda all the time and I tried limiting myself to one 2L a day. I end up doing that for awhile and then, BAM I go back to binge drinking the stuff again. What makes things worse , there is a 7-11 not even a block away from me so only buying soda when I buy groceries doesn't work.

Now I finally had it. I'm sick and tired of not being able to have stuff I want or worse, not having what I need simply because I'm drinking and pissing it away on soda. So I had my last bit of soda an hour ago, as of now I'm no longer drinking soda. Even the cheap stuff adds up very quickly if you are binge drinking it, and not to mention the toll it takes on your health.

So if guys don't hear from me in awhile, you know it's because I'll be in bed holding my head in pain... :evil:
 
FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil
Posts: 7599
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: the abyss into which you gaze

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:33 pm

Good luck, man. Cold turkey is one way to do it. I know people who have successfully cured addictions that way. In the end you'll be better off, and your body will hopefully come to realize how much better it feels not having deadly gobs of sugar coursing through it.

Keep us posted on how you're doin'. I'm rootin' for 'ya.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
 
Hawkwing74
Silver subscriber
His Holy Gerbilness
Posts: 13961
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:51 pm
Location: Streamwood, IL

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:35 pm

Soda addiction is hard. Coke Zero is my vice.
 
Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP
Posts: 333
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:36 pm
Location: Pville...

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:36 pm

If your gonna binge drink I suggest alcohol... It's not anymore healthy but it is a lot more fun!
Windows10, EVGA G2 750w Power Supply, Acer XB270H G-synch monitor, MSI Krait Gaming 3X, I7 6700K, 16 gigs of CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz ram, Crucial 500 gig SSD, EVGA GTX1080 FTW
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:37 pm

Thanks. I drink diet due to diabetes but that has it own issues to deal with.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:38 pm

Pville_Piper wrote:
If your gonna binge drink I suggest alcohol... It's not anymore healthy but it is a lot more fun!

And gets in you in a lot more trouble. So no thanks.
 
Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4567
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:21 pm
Location: Denham Springs, LA

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:56 pm

The problem is you're breaking two physically taxing addictions at once. Caffeine, likely the more serious, and high doses of HFCSyrup.

You may have better luck drinking caffeine free sodas first. When I realized caffeine was causing a cycle of migranes and mood issues for me I stopped and had a full week of vomit inducing class migranes. Good luck. :wink:
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.
 
Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4462
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:49 pm
Location: Europe, most frequently London.

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:03 pm

Keep water in your fridge at all times so that it's cool and refreshing without any effort when you are thirsty, or failing that, ice cubes, always ready to go.

A dash of lemon or lime juice goes a long way towards making the water more satisfying to your sugar-craving tastebuds; Use half a real lemon per liter if you can, but the bottled stuff works almost as well if you can't be bothered.

Carbonated water helps too, and at the end of the day it's still just water. Just make sure it's plain carbonated water and not anything sweetened that will make the sugar cravings resurface.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.
 
Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4462
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:49 pm
Location: Europe, most frequently London.

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:08 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
The problem is you're breaking two physically taxing addictions at once. Caffeine, likely the more serious, and high doses of HFCSyrup.


Switching from soda to espresso is not a bad idea; Coffee is different enough to soda that over time your body will associate a caffeine craving with coffee o'clock, and cold drinks can finally be about refreshment and hydration.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.
 
layerup
Gerbil
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:41 pm

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:40 pm

whm1974 wrote:
I know mention my issue with drinking soda all the time and I tried limiting myself to one 2L a day. I end up doing that for awhile and then, BAM I go back to binge drinking the stuff again. What makes things worse , there is a 7-11 not even a block away from me so only buying soda when I buy groceries doesn't work.

Now I finally had it. I'm sick and tired of not being able to have stuff I want or worse, not having what I need simply because I'm drinking and pissing it away on soda. So I had my last bit of soda an hour ago, as of now I'm no longer drinking soda. Even the cheap stuff adds up very quickly if you are binge drinking it, and not to mention the toll it takes on your health.

So if guys don't hear from me in awhile, you know it's because I'll be in bed holding my head in pain... :evil:


I wish you luck, I have never had caffeine withdrawals, as I never really drank much soda (too much carbonation), and I drink coffee, but far from regularly. Most of my immediate family has been addicted to caffeinated soda, and I know how hard a time they have had with the headaches associated with dropping the stuff. I like the idea mentioned earlier, of switching to caffeine free first, that way you are only fighting one battle, caffeine, instead of two, caffeine and craving for the drink.

Perhaps try iced tea? Water is my general go to drink anywhere but at home (I generally have several nalgenes full of the stuff), at home it tends to be a nice beer or tea.
 
Topinio
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1561
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:28 am
Location: London

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:47 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
Switching from soda to espresso is not a bad idea; Coffee is different enough to soda that over time your body will associate a caffeine craving with coffee o'clock, and cold drinks can finally be about refreshment and hydration.

This is a great idea, if you like coffee. Could make it longer with Americanos, or colder with a jug of iced coffee in the fridge.

Good luck!!
Desktop: E3-1270 v5, X11SAT-F, 32GB, RX Vega 56, 500GB Crucial P1, 2TB Ultrastar, Xonar DGX, XL2730Z + G2420HDB
HTPC: i5-2500K, DH67GD, 6GB, RX 580, 250GB MX500, 1.5TB Barracuda
Laptop: MacBook6,1
 
DPete27
Silver subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3617
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:56 pm

I've been getting into cold-brew coffee lately (although I'm not a "coffee drinker", and I only like cold coffee). It's childishly easy to make in a french press (although I've moved to making it in a gallon glass growler and running it through a coffee filter which is a bit time consuming). The fact that cold-brewing coffee generally tends to reduce the bitterness compared to hot-brewing also reduces the amount of sweetener the average person needs to enjoy it.
I find that the caffeine high that coffee offers is much more potent than soda (per volume of course). So you may find that you only need a cup or two per day to equal the same effect you had with soda.

Carbonated water flavored with squeezed citrus (lemon/lime/etc etc) is a great idea to trick your body into thinking it's drinking actual soda. Feel it out though, as others have said the sudden lack of sugar AND caffeine may be difficult to overcome. Sometimes a step by step approach is better. Whether you're getting rid of the caffeine with CF-free soda, or the sugar with carbonated water.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:02 pm

DPete27 wrote:
I've been getting into cold-brew coffee lately (although I'm not a "coffee drinker", and I only like cold coffee). It's childishly easy to make in a french press (although I've moved to making it in a gallon glass growler and running it through a coffee filter which is a bit time consuming).
I find that the caffeine high that coffee offers is much more potent than soda (per volume of course). So you may find that you only need a cup or two per day to equal the same effect you had with soda.

Carbonated water flavored with squeezed citrus (lemon/lime/etc etc) is a great idea to trick your body into thinking it's drinking actual soda. Feel it out though, as others have said the sudden lack of sugar AND caffeine may be difficult to overcome. Sometimes a step by step approach is better. Whether you're getting rid of the caffeine with CF-free soda, or the sugar with carbonated water.

Well right now I'm drinking a diet Tea Drink Mix that I get at Ruler Foods. It comes in 6 large straws, and one straw will fill a two liter bottle up.
 
End User
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2896
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:47 pm
Location: Upper Canada

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:34 pm

I love regular Coca-Cola. I don't buy it anymore. I bought a bicycle and drink water.
"Belly floppin' lockin' while I'm rockin' in the bubble bath"
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:43 pm

Now I feel sick. :(
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PrxXxY
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2 ... 20&ie=UTF8
If I had quit drinking soda 4.5 years ago, I could have brought the above for Xmas and be gaming in 4K! :evil: :roll:
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 51858
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:53 pm

You seem kind of obsessive about this 4K monitor thing...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
layerup
Gerbil
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:41 pm

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:59 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Now I feel sick. :(

If I had quit drinking soda 4.5 years ago, I could have brought the above for Xmas and be gaming in 4K! :evil: :roll:


How would you drive a 4k display? You are using a 970 right?
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:01 pm

just brew it! wrote:
You seem kind of obsessive about this 4K monitor thing...

Oh I am indeed I am. But my point was that all the money I spent on soda alone, I could have brought things that I can use and to show what I'm spending my money on. Binge drinking soda is why I don't have nice things. :roll:
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:03 pm

layerup wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Now I feel sick. :(

If I had quit drinking soda 4.5 years ago, I could have brought the above for Xmas and be gaming in 4K! :evil: :roll:


How would you drive a 4k display? You are using a 970 right?

I've checked and most of my games that I currently have will do 4K with a 970. Middle Earth: Shadow of Moldor I probably can't.
 
ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Posts: 8109
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:47 pm
Location: Sunny Colorado front range

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:06 pm

I never had a soda addiction, but I did get rid of it almost entirely by having substitutes. Unsweet iced tea is good when you just need something cold to drink, and you can brew it yourself very cheaply. Flavored seltzer water (La Croix is big in the US right now, but there are others) can be good for getting that fizzy tang with a dash of flavor. Once you get acclimated to drinking unsweetened beverages the sweetened kind will become cloying and nearly unpalatable. I even find myself diluting fruit juice.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration
 
derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 24714
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:58 pm

ludi wrote:
Unsweet iced tea is good when you just need something cold to drink

I gave up soda in January at my doctor's insistence. Good ol' plain iced tea is way better. Between tea, black coffee (just a plain old drip-brew maker, nothing fancy), and water, I don't have time to drink anything else.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:18 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
ludi wrote:
Unsweet iced tea is good when you just need something cold to drink

I gave up soda in January at my doctor's insistence. Good ol' plain iced tea is way better. Between tea, black coffee (just a plain old drip-brew maker, nothing fancy), and water, I don't have time to drink anything else.

I just wished that I started sooner. And I'm drinking cold tea now.
 
derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 24714
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:44 pm

You can't live a life of regret, always looking back. Live it going forward. Time only moves in one direction, certain sci-fi universes excepted.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:47 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
You can't live a life of regret, always looking back. Live it going forward. Time only moves in one direction, certain sci-fi universes excepted.

Good point. Well I'm quitting soda now so there's that. 7 hours already and I'm starting to get headaches.
 
strangerguy
Gerbil Team Leader
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 8:46 am

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:55 pm

If you are like me who drink water all the time even sugarless black coffee would begin to taste sweet.
8700K 4.3GHz @ 1.05V | Cryorig H7 | MSI Z370M AC | 32GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3200 | GTX 1070 @ 0.8V | 500GB Evo 850 | 1TB M550 | 3TB Toshiba | Seasonic G650 | Acer XB271HU
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 51858
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:01 am

whm1974 wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
You can't live a life of regret, always looking back. Live it going forward. Time only moves in one direction, certain sci-fi universes excepted.

Good point. Well I'm quitting soda now so there's that. 7 hours already and I'm starting to get headaches.

I still have a bit of a (diet) soda habit myself, though not to the extent that you do. These days I try to drink mostly LaCroix during the day at work, but still hit the Diet Mt. Dew and Dr Pepper, especially first thing in the morning (to help me get fully awake and focused) and after lunch (to keep me from getting too drowsy in the afternoon). I can generally skip a day without getting the headaches though, which is an improvement over how things were a few years ago.

I'd probably lose a decent amount of weight if I cut back on the beer... I'm probably ~25 lbs over what I should be, and it's mostly beer gut. No "Lite" beer for me, it's all the full-flavor, full-calorie stuff! :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:09 am

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
You can't live a life of regret, always looking back. Live it going forward. Time only moves in one direction, certain sci-fi universes excepted.

Good point. Well I'm quitting soda now so there's that. 7 hours already and I'm starting to get headaches.

I still have a bit of a (diet) soda habit myself, though not to the extent that you do. These days I try to drink mostly LaCroix during the day at work, but still hit the Diet Mt. Dew and Dr Pepper, especially first thing in the morning (to help me get fully awake and focused) and after lunch (to keep me from getting too drowsy in the afternoon). I can generally skip a day without getting the headaches though, which is an improvement over how things were a few years ago.

I'd probably lose a decent amount of weight if I cut back on the beer... I'm probably ~25 lbs over what I should be, and it's mostly beer gut. No "Lite" beer for me, it's all the full-flavor, full-calorie stuff! :lol:

Well the cravings are also a killer as well, and the really bad part is that there is a 7-11 not even a block away from me. It is taking all my willpower not to go over there and buy some soda.
 
derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 24714
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:18 am

Don't do it. Or do. Who am I to tell you how to live?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:48 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Don't do it. Or do. Who am I to tell you how to live?

Not helping here.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 51858
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:57 am

whm1974 wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
Don't do it. Or do. Who am I to tell you how to live?

Not helping here.

I'm having a Bourbon right now, if that helps. (Not!)

Wild Turkey 101, if anyone's curious. (In spite of what you might have heard, it's decent. Stupid Whiskey snobs have decided it's uncool for some reason...)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 7

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests