Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:43 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Well I do enjoy a dark rum every now and then. But I only drink a shot or two. So I would have to use less, maybe a teaspoon per 16oz of coffee?

Taste is subjective. I don't know how you expect someone else to tell you how much will taste good to you.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:26 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Well I do enjoy a dark rum every now and then. But I only drink a shot or two. So I would have to use less, maybe a teaspoon per 16oz of coffee?

Taste is subjective. I don't know how you expect someone else to tell you how much will taste good to you.

I was just wondering if anyone else tried it before.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:19 am

whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

I have used mollases for home-brew rootbeer, and a little bit goes a loooonnnnggg way...once you get it fully dissolved, which takes some doing. It has a powerful flavor and may taste slightly sharp or metallic if you add too much.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:27 am

ludi wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I have used mollases for home-brew rootbeer, and a little bit goes a loooonnnnggg way...once you get it fully dissolved, which takes some doing. It has a powerful flavor and may taste slightly sharp or metallic if you add too much.

I've had similar experiences using it as an ingredient in beer (the alcoholic kind, not root beer). While it does not add sweetness in that case since all of the sugars ferment, it can add a metallic "twang". It's a fine line between getting a light "rummy" character (which is what you're typically after) and avoiding the metallic note.

At the end of the day, molasses is a concentrate of all the impurities and trace minerals that are removed from sugarcane when it is refined to make white sugar. So it is not surprising that it has a strong, "minerally" flavor.

Rather than guess, just start with a full glass of whatever you're trying to sweeten, and add molasses 1/8 tsp at a time (making sure to dissolve thoroughly after each dose), until you reach the level of sweetness you want or the molasses character starts to become too strong for your tastes. Keep track of how many doses you add, and then you'll know exactly how much to use next time.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:31 am

just brew it! wrote:
ludi wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

I've had similar experiences using it as an ingredient in beer (the alcoholic kind, not root beer). While it does not add sweetness in that case since all of the sugars ferment, it can add a metallic "twang". It's a fine line between getting a light "rummy" character (which is what you're typically after) and avoiding the metallic note.

At the end of the day, molasses is a concentrate of all the impurities and trace minerals that are removed from sugarcane when it is refined to make white sugar. So it is not surprising that it has a strong, "minerally" flavor.

Rather than guess, just start with a full glass of whatever you're trying to sweeten, and add molasses 1/8 tsp at a time (making sure to dissolve thoroughly after each dose), until you reach the level of sweetness you want or the molasses character starts to become too strong for your tastes. Keep track of how many doses you add, and then you'll know exactly how much to use next time.

Using 1/8 of a teaspoon to start with sounds like good advice. I put too much of that stuff on toast before and didn't like it.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:45 am

Drink lots of water. Water is the best thing you can drink. Staying well hydrated will help you to burn fat and benefit your metabolism.

You'll lose some weight by cutting out soda, be strong, my dude! Your body will thank you for it.

If you miss the bubbles, there's always Perrier or club soda.

Cheers
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:42 am

Well guys, by this Monday afternoon coming up, I will have stop drinking soda for three weeks now. while I still have the cravings they much lower then when I started quitting.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:47 am

Good for you, whm. How does it feel?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:15 am

FireGryphon wrote:
Good for you, whm. How does it feel?

Pretty good actually. I haven't been eating out either for the last three weeks either. Other then going to Walgreen and getting a few things, I also been saving up my money.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:36 am

whm, how's this going?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:31 am

whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Well I only brought brown sugar because Walgreen didn't have any Stevia and it was much cheaper then Splenda was.

Nutritionally it is effectively identical to plain sugar. Unless you bought "raw" or "turbinado" sugar, it is actually refined white sugar that has had a little of the molasses (which is refined out in the production process) mixed back into it. The difference between light and dark brown sugar is the amount of molasses that gets reintroduced after the sugar has been refined.

Well that is well I'm only using one teaspoon of brown sugar instead of two.

My coffee additives used to be 1/2 teaspoon sugar in the day and 1/2 measure of Jim Beam in the evening.
Now it's 1/4 teaspoon of honey. Don't know if it's any healthier than sugar-but it's nice...............................

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:53 am

Have you lost any significant weight by eating in and laying off the pop? That's a double win and good on you! I love stories of people being healthier. Good luck and keep it up.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:17 am

DragonDaddyBear wrote:
Have you lost any significant weight by eating in and laying off the pop? That's a double win and good on you! I love stories of people being healthier. Good luck and keep it up.

I was drinking diet so no weight loss.

FireGryphon wrote:
whm, how's this going?

Still laying off the soda. It is getting a little easier.

Oh, Merry Xmas to everyone.

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:08 am

Congrats on sticking with this, breaking a habit is damn hard!

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:24 pm

NTMBK wrote:

Well two week later I still going without soda, and my wallet is slowly getting healthier...

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:07 pm

whm1974 wrote:
NTMBK wrote:

Well two week later I still going without soda, and my wallet is slowly getting healthier...

How are you feeling? Starting to feel the health benefits yet?

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:38 pm

NTMBK wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
NTMBK wrote:

How are you feeling? Starting to feel the health benefits yet?

Not sure, I was drinking diet so no weight loss there.