Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:12 pm

Artificial sweetener affects your body’s ability to process sugar.i don’t have the article link handy, but the upshot is that artificial sweetener isn’t the free ride everyone thought.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:04 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
Artificial sweetener affects your body’s ability to process sugar.i don’t have the article link handy, but the upshot is that artificial sweetener isn’t the free ride everyone thought.

IIRC the issue is that it primes your body to expect incoming sugar, and then when you don't get it, things kinda go off the rails. Your body doesn't like being tricked.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

demolition
Gerbil First Class

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:52 am

sluggo wrote:
Within a month I got to where I was drinking about 4-5 cans (12oz) per day and then noticed that my vision was getting blurry. Also I was getting up at 3AM with a terrible thirst and would run to the fridge for water.
Doctor said "welcome to pre-diabetes".

Sorry to say, but that sounds very much like full-blown diabetes since those symptoms are related to having very elevated blood sugar levels over an extended period of time.. I hope you had it checked properly as it is not something you'd want to stay untreated for 10 more years until it cannot be ignored any longer as you start to get the long-term symptoms.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:32 pm

demolition wrote:
sluggo wrote:
Within a month I got to where I was drinking about 4-5 cans (12oz) per day and then noticed that my vision was getting blurry. Also I was getting up at 3AM with a terrible thirst and would run to the fridge for water.
Doctor said "welcome to pre-diabetes".

Sorry to say, but that sounds very much like full-blown diabetes since those symptoms are related to having very elevated blood sugar levels over an extended period of time.. I hope you had it checked properly as it is not something you'd want to stay untreated for 10 more years until it cannot be ignored any longer as you start to get the long-term symptoms.

As someone who has been diabetic since mid 2009, I was told by doctors that if I watch my sugar intake and take my medicines(pills) like I'm supposed to, I can avoid having to take insulin shots and damage to my body. So far it is well controlled.

If you have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes the important thing you can do is change your diet.

layerup
Gerbil

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:08 pm

whm1974 wrote:
If you have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes the important thing you can do is change your diet.

I will always argue that if you have to choose between altering your diet or exercise, go with the exercise to control type II diabetes (along with removing the more sinister foods). Obviously, both is the ideal situation, but that does not always happen. Exercise has numerous additional benefits besides control your metabolic rate and insulin absorption.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:26 pm

layerup wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

I will always argue that if you have to choose between altering your diet or exercise, go with the exercise to control type II diabetes (along with removing the more sinister foods). Obviously, both is the ideal situation, but that does not always happen. Exercise has numerous additional benefits besides control your metabolic rate and insulin absorption.

Well the doctors did tell me to exercise more as well, so you are right doing both are ideal.

layerup
Gerbil

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:31 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Well the doctors did tell me to exercise more as well, so you are right doing both are ideal.

I can only speak from personal experience, but basal insulin requirements decrease exponentially with exercise intensity and amount.

sluggo
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:02 pm

Yah, I also missed that 5th post where whm said he was drinking sugar-free drinks. My apologies for the unnecessary anti-sugar rant.

FWIW, my post-Crush experience has been a series of blood panels, diet change, exercise and Metformin regimes. My worst-case (peak Orange Crush) blood sugar number was 15 (approx 270 on the common US scale). My GP was stunned, as I'd never been above 7 in the prior years. Following a six-month press of exercise, heavily restricted carbs, and Metformin, I was back below 6. I'm at the point where they're confident that with just the restricted diet I can avoid the needle.

Exercise has been a big help, as I grew up playing sports year-round until 35 or so and I think my body is attuned to that. Also, nothing wrong with a diet that calls for low carbs, minimum artificial sweeteners, and all the protein I like.

EDIT: Correction - the blood sugar numbers above are A1C percentages, not fasting blood sugar levels. So 15% and 7%, etc.
Last edited by sluggo on Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action - Goethe

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:18 pm

sluggo wrote:
Yah, I also missed that 5th post where whm said he was drinking sugar-free drinks. My apologies for the unnecessary anti-sugar rant.

FWIW, my post-Crush experience has been a series of blood panels, diet change, exercise and Metformin regimes. My worst-case (peak Orange Crush) blood sugar number was 15 (approx 270 on the common US scale). My GP was stunned, as I'd never been above 7 in the prior years. Following a six-month press of exercise, heavily restricted carbs, and Metformin, I was back below 6. I'm at the point where they're confident that with just the restricted diet I can avoid the needle.

Exercise has been a big help, as I grew up playing sports year-round until 35 or so and I think my body is attuned to that. Also, nothing wrong with a diet that calls for low carbs, minimum artificial sweeteners, and all the protein I like.

keep in mind that the human body only has limited means of dealing with large amount of proteins in the diet. Eating a pure protein diet will give you protein poisoning:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_poisoning
Just make sure you do have some fat in your diet to prevent this.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:59 pm

Ketogenic diet just replace sugar with fat. You have to get your energy from somewhere and fat and alcohol are the only other sources available.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:52 pm

Unless you have a specific need for a particular diet, I think people should eat a bit of everything. It’s only when there’s an excess or lack of something that there’s a problem.

I used to not care about sugar as a kid. I could have all the candy and cookies around me and still eat just a couple pieces and be satisfied. Now as an adult if I get a bag of chocolate chip cookies I can eat half of it before I realize it. That can’t be good and I’ve started really watching what I snack on. Bodies and habits do change.

whm, how’s it going so far?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:41 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Ketogenic diet just replace sugar with fat. You have to get your energy from somewhere

Fat also has greater energy density than either carbohydrate or protein making it a better fuel, but like FireGryphon said consuming too much of it does bad things.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:50 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
Unless you have a specific need for a particular diet, I think people should eat a bit of everything. It’s only when there’s an excess or lack of something that there’s a problem.

I used to not care about sugar as a kid. I could have all the candy and cookies around me and still eat just a couple pieces and be satisfied. Now as an adult if I get a bag of chocolate chip cookies I can eat half of it before I realize it. That can’t be good and I’ve started really watching what I snack on. Bodies and habits do change.

It's been two days so far.

demolition
Gerbil First Class

Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:12 am

whm1974 wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:

It's been two days so far.

Keep at it - the cravings will subside, I promise. :-) When you get them, just remind yourself why you're doing it. It is actually possible to turn the negative feelings around to something positive if you associate them with the fact that you are taking charge of your situation and that you know that you will be rewarded for your efforts in the end. I find that can provide a very nice mental boost.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:11 am

I forgot the coffee when I went to the store last night as I was thinking drinking that in the morning when I need something to wake me up so I can avoid soda. Oh well I guess I'll buy some later then.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:02 pm

Well it's been four days so far without drinking any soda at all. Easier then I thought it would be, the cravings aside.

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:01 pm

Congrats on making it this far. I never could drink diet soft drinks, as the artificial sweeteners, to me, had a horrible aftertaste that would never go away. Also, for some reason, aspartame in particular messes up my heart rhythm (does the same to my mom). A single 12 oz. Diet Coke, for example, makes my heart race...then bottom out...then race...etc. I was once a Sun Drop citrus soft drink man. It was not uncommon for me to drink two or three of the 20 oz. plastic bottles a day. After college, my metabolism slowed significantly, and I went from being 6'1" 135 lbs., able to eat anything I wanted to about 185 lbs. Nothing fit. I had to undo the button on my slacks when I left work for the day to feel comfortable on the drive home. It was either 1.) buy all new clothes and keep on living on junk or 2.) make a significant lifestyle change. It just so happened at the time that my mom and dad had purchases a new Weider weight machine and a new treadmill. I also, coincidentally, was talking with an old friend from high school who had gotten into strength training. He set up a 3 day split for me on the machine and gave me diet pointers. It took about 2 solid months to adjust to my new lifestyle, but once I did, I could never go back. Now, with that said, I don't deny myself everything I enjoy. By far, my biggest weaknesses are beer, potatoes (chips and french fries, especially), and pizza of damn near any kind. I don't have them often, and when I do, I literally try to have what amounts to a true "single serving" as opposed to half a bag. Though I enjoy full bodied/flavored craft beers, I generally stick to something like Mich Ultra. Once I had given up soft drinks for some months (maybe it was even a year or two), I tried a drink of one just to see if the nostalgia factor was there. It was literally like drinking syrup. It make me thirstier. My caffeine addiction (which I freely admit I have and embrace) is fed today by black coffee (usually prepared in a French press; unsweetened "iced" (black) tea; and unsweetened green or white tea. The rest of the day it's water only. I even switched to unsweetened "almond milk" for my morning 1/2 cup of Wheat Chex, as it's only 30 calories vs 80 for skim milk. Ironically, now even standard dairy milk is "too sweet" for me. What I realized after giving up soft drinks was that I didn't miss the caffeine (see above) or even the taste...it was the burn/tingle of the carbonation that I really missed. Sort of like how a smoker misses the "burn" of the inhale off a cigarette drag. The best advice I can give you is to avoid keeping any in the house....much less within easy reach. Also, make sure you focus on building up new associations. E.g, if you associate long gaming or coding sessions with drinking soft drinks, keep plenty of water (flavored or whatever) or unsweetened (but maybe flavored - e.g., white tea with peach and mango flavors) teas around, and consume those when you are doing activities you'd normally associate with soft drinks. It does take time, but after a couple of months, which sounds like forever, now, you'll have replaced those triggers/associations with something far more healthful, hopefully. I wish you nothing but success, my friend. Some might laugh or scoff and say, "how you be addicted to soft drinks?!"...but as humans with our complex chemical reactions and reward centers, we can become addicted to damned near anything. And, if you do slip up, do NOT beat yourself up to the point where you say, "why even bother quitting?". Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and simply start again. Life's far too short to be your own worst enemy. Plenty of other sadistic trolls will cover that for you.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:35 pm

Pagey wrote:
Congrats on making it this far. I never could drink diet soft drinks, as the artificial sweeteners, to me, had a horrible aftertaste that would never go away. Also, for some reason, aspartame in particular messes up my heart rhythm (does the same to my mom). A single 12 oz. Diet Coke, for example, makes my heart race...then bottom out...then race...etc. I was once a Sun Drop citrus soft drink man. It was not uncommon for me to drink two or three of the 20 oz. plastic bottles a day. After college, my metabolism slowed significantly, and I went from being 6'1" 135 lbs., able to eat anything I wanted to about 185 lbs. Nothing fit. I had to undo the button on my slacks when I left work for the day to feel comfortable on the drive home. It was either 1.) buy all new clothes and keep on living on junk or 2.) make a significant lifestyle change. It just so happened at the time that my mom and dad had purchases a new Weider weight machine and a new treadmill. I also, coincidentally, was talking with an old friend from high school who had gotten into strength training. He set up a 3 day split for me on the machine and gave me diet pointers. It took about 2 solid months to adjust to my new lifestyle, but once I did, I could never go back. Now, with that said, I don't deny myself everything I enjoy. By far, my biggest weaknesses are beer, potatoes (chips and french fries, especially), and pizza of damn near any kind. I don't have them often, and when I do, I literally try to have what amounts to a true "single serving" as opposed to half a bag. Though I enjoy full bodied/flavored craft beers, I generally stick to something like Mich Ultra. Once I had given up soft drinks for some months (maybe it was even a year or two), I tried a drink of one just to see if the nostalgia factor was there. It was literally like drinking syrup. It make me thirstier. My caffeine addiction (which I freely admit I have and embrace) is fed today by black coffee (usually prepared in a French press; unsweetened "iced" (black) tea; and unsweetened green or white tea. The rest of the day it's water only. I even switched to unsweetened "almond milk" for my morning 1/2 cup of Wheat Chex, as it's only 30 calories vs 80 for skim milk. Ironically, now even standard dairy milk is "too sweet" for me. What I realized after giving up soft drinks was that I didn't miss the caffeine (see above) or even the taste...it was the burn/tingle of the carbonation that I really missed. Sort of like how a smoker misses the "burn" of the inhale off a cigarette drag. The best advice I can give you is to avoid keeping any in the house....much less within easy reach. Also, make sure you focus on building up new associations. E.g, if you associate long gaming or coding sessions with drinking soft drinks, keep plenty of water (flavored or whatever) or unsweetened (but maybe flavored - e.g., white tea with peach and mango flavors) teas around, and consume those when you are doing activities you'd normally associate with soft drinks. It does take time, but after a couple of months, which sounds like forever, now, you'll have replaced those triggers/associations with something far more healthful, hopefully. I wish you nothing but success, my friend. Some might laugh or scoff and say, "how you be addicted to soft drinks?!"...but as humans with our complex chemical reactions and reward centers, we can become addicted to damned near anything. And, if you do slip up, do NOT beat yourself up to the point where you say, "why even bother quitting?". Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and simply start again. Life's far too short to be your own worst enemy. Plenty of other sadistic trolls will cover that for you.

Thanks for the encouragement. Well now it's been five days since I had any soda since I started ~2:30pm Monday afternoon. Basically this is my New Year's resolution but started early.

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:14 pm

Yes, sir, glad to put in a few words of encouragement. I've struggled with "depression" and social anxiety all my life. I've tried everything, legal and "illegal" to medicate/self-medicate it. So, I know what it's like to struggle with addiction and/or unhealthful habits. Sometimes a word of encouragement is all we have to hang on to. Sometimes it's the difference between choosing "right" and "wrong" or "good" and "bad". Hang in there.

LostCat

Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:49 pm

I don't wanna my arms tired and I hate this place.

(/didn'tsayanything)

If I could afford healthier drinks I'd probably get em. So far I still switch between pop and crystal light w/ caffeine stuff every so often so it doesn't get as bad as it used to.
Meow.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:28 pm

LostCat wrote:
I don't wanna my arms tired and I hate this place.

(/didn'tsayanything)

If I could afford healthier drinks I'd probably get em. So far I still switch between pop and crystal light w/ caffeine stuff every so often so it doesn't get as bad as it used to.

I suppose it will depend where you shop at, but wouldn't Crystal Light w/ caffeine be cheaper then soda?

LostCat

Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:07 pm

whm1974 wrote:
I suppose it will depend where you shop at, but wouldn't Crystal Light w/ caffeine be cheaper then soda?

By far, but I still end up going through it quicker than I'd like. They're both pretty cheap really.
Meow.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:11 pm

LostCat wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

By far, but I still end up going through it quicker than I'd like. They're both pretty cheap really.

I beg to differ, soda isn't cheap if you add it up. Which is why I quit drinking the stuff.

LostCat

Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:42 pm

whm1974 wrote:
I beg to differ, soda isn't cheap if you add it up. Which is why I quit drinking the stuff.

Depends where you buy it and if sales are going on I guess. I just got four twelve packs for $8 a couple weeks ago.

Can regularly get prices similar if not usually that good at my local place.

The only real reason for me to avoid soda is I don't like how much of our water supply spends a lot of time in bottles these days. I'm not a tree hugger per se but that seems like a bad deal for the general ecosystem.
Meow.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:58 pm

LostCat wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

Depends where you buy it and if sales are going on I guess. I just got four twelve packs for $8 a couple weeks ago.

Can regularly get prices similar if not usually that good at my local place.

I generally buy 2L bottles only on sale (local supermarket frequently has sales on Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet Mt. Dew for a buck a less). At work there's free soda and LaCroix in the break room; I try to stick to the LaCroix, but I still need an occasional dose of caffeine.

Given the amount of diet soda I've consumed over the past ~3 decades (my consumption probably peaked about 5 years ago, I've definitely cut back since then), I'm a walking lab experiment for long-term effects of aspartame. Hopefully it's like cigarettes, where some of the bad effects are reversed after you cut back or quit.

LostCat wrote:
The only real reason for me to avoid soda is I don't like how much of our water supply spends a lot of time in bottles these days. I'm not a tree hugger per se but that seems like a bad deal for the general ecosystem.

At home I use a carbon block filter and drink filtered tap water (when I'm not drinking soda or beer).

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:17 pm

just brew it! wrote:
At home I use a carbon block filter and drink filtered tap water (when I'm not drinking soda or beer).

Fresh fish pee here, as if you've got town water in NW VT, 99% of it comes from Lake Champlain.

As far as avoiding things, this is day 40 since I've had strong drink (or wine for that matter). Beer consumption has increased a bit, but not in any way close to what I had been consuming in hard stuff. The first couple of weeks were tough but I'm through that now, and all without any "program".
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:24 pm

Well I was drinking up to four 2L bottles a day of soda and even with just drinking the cheap stuff alone costs me ~$1000 a year. And I'm tired of being broke.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:26 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Well I was drinking up to four 2L bottles a day of soda and even with just drinking the cheap stuff alone costs me ~$1000 a year. And I'm tired of being broke.

My strong drink problem ran close to $4,000/yr and that was also cheap stuff.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:27 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Fresh fish pee here, as if you've got town water in NW VT, 99% of it comes from Lake Champlain.

Most of the Chicago metro area gets its water supply from Lake Michigan, by buying it from Chicago's waterworks. There's chlorine added, and in the warmer months it can smell a little "fishy" (I've heard that this is partly due to invasive zebra mussels colonizing the water intakes). Hence my use of a carbon block filter. Take the chlorine and "fishiness" out and it's actually very good water.

We're pretty close to the westernmost reach of the pipelines for distribution of Chicago water. Go a mile or two west of here, and water is either pulled from deep wells or surface sources (e.g. Fox River).

There's one town about a bit northwest of here that actually RO treats their entire municipal water supply; that can't be cheap. Yes, it's a fairly affluent town.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:29 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

My strong drink problem ran close to $4,000/yr and that was also cheap stuff.

Ouch!!!