Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5466
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:44 am

Khali wrote:
I have also recently give up soda/pop as my main drink. I would go through one to two liters a day.

At first it was Mountain Dew until I had some health issues. Turns out I was more sensitive to something in Mt. Dew than most people. That something was BVO, Brominated Vegetable Oil. Bromine is the chemical element of atomic number 35, a dark red fuming toxic liquid with a choking, irritating smell. Pepsi used it in everything. They said they were going to remove it but it still can be found as an ingredient in Mountain Dew. I switched to Mello Yello since it did not contain BVO. But there have been several recent health studies saying the leading cause of heart disease and plaque build up was not in fact Cholesterol/fatty food but HFCS, High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Since I have been considering ditching Soda/pop for a while I decided to make a change. I gave it up and switched to Lipton Peach Iced Tea. While it still has some HFCS, 18 grams, its no where close to the amount a 12 oz. can of soda has, 45 grams. In the mean time I am still searching for something that has no HFCS at all but instead uses real surgar. Yes I could switch to diet but I don't like the taste and each of the various artificial sweeteners have their own health drawbacks.

Check out Stevia It's made from a leaf so it is not artificial.
 
demolition
Gerbil
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:27 am

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:51 am

whm1974 wrote:
Check out Stevia It's made from a leaf so it is not artificial.

That does not necessarily mean it is better. The most toxic substances you can find generally comes from nature as it has had million of years to perfect the recipe.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5466
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:55 am

demolition wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Check out Stevia It's made from a leaf so it is not artificial.

That does not necessarily mean it is better. The most toxic substances you can find generally comes from nature as it has had million of years to perfect the recipe.

Well that is true.
 
trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2037
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:28 am
Location: 'Tween oceans...

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:59 am

You are best off with mostly unsweetened drinks, i.e. teas or flavored waters. Exotic leaf or fruit infusions can add variety.

Having sugar regularly induces insulin surges that can be damaging in the long run. Aspartame-type chemical sweeteners along with mucho caffeine can cause inflammations, shortness of breath, and other quality of life problems.

Organically-produced Stevia sweetener is considered to be much less inflammatory in effect. Try Coca-Cola Life (green bottles and cans). This recipe uses a mix of Stevia and some (correction) non-high-fructose sugar, it has the regular Coke taste without many of the negatives.
Last edited by trackerben on Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
demolition
Gerbil
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:27 am

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:23 pm

trackerben wrote:
Try Coca-Cola Life (green bottles and cans). This recipe uses a mix of Stevia and some non-fructose sugar, it has the regular Coke taste without the negatives.

I see the use of Stevia in Coca Cola Life as mostly a marketing gimmick. It is basically a regular coke with 25% of the sugar content replaced with Stevia, and those 25% doesn't make much of a difference. People who buy it may also unconsciously drink more of it since they feel that it is healthier. When you write non-fructose, I guess you mean glucose? That isn't exactly healthy either, although I think the Coke Life around here is just based on sucrose like regular Coke.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5466
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:28 pm

demolition wrote:
trackerben wrote:
Try Coca-Cola Life (green bottles and cans). This recipe uses a mix of Stevia and some non-fructose sugar, it has the regular Coke taste without the negatives.

I see the use of Stevia in Coca Cola Life as mostly a marketing gimmick. It is basically a regular coke with 25% of the sugar content replaced with Stevia, and those 25% doesn't make much of a difference. People who buy it may also unconsciously drink more of it since they feel that it is healthier. When you write non-fructose, I guess you mean glucose? That isn't exactly healthy either, although I think the Coke Life around here is just based on sucrose like regular Coke.

Yeah if I was going to make a diet soda I would use pure Stevia.
 
LostCat
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1800
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:18 am
Location: Alphanumeric symbols.

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:34 pm

mmmm tea. if only it actually tasted good.
And now I'm no longer primarily a PC gamer. *shrug*
 
Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Posts: 26471
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:37 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Yeah if I was going to make a diet soda I would use pure Stevia.

Too bad that left-handed glucose costs way too much to synthesize to be commercially viable.
If the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5466
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:44 pm

LostCat wrote:
mmmm tea. if only it actually tasted good.

I drink tea all of the time, and there is nothing wrong with it.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5466
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:44 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Yeah if I was going to make a diet soda I would use pure Stevia.

Too bad that left-handed glucose costs way too much to synthesize to be commercially viable.

First time I've heard of it. Has it been tested on humans before?
 
LostCat
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1800
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:18 am
Location: Alphanumeric symbols.

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:13 pm

whm1974 wrote:
I drink tea all of the time, and there is nothing wrong with it.

cept for it bein nasty sure :p

You can assume I am aware that not everyone has the same tastes but dear god, I'd rather just drink water than that crap
And now I'm no longer primarily a PC gamer. *shrug*
 
Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Posts: 26471
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:20 pm

whm1974 wrote:
First time I've heard of it. Has it been tested on humans before?

Yup. Taste-wise, it is equivalent to regular glucose. Problem is, we've yet to find a natural process that creates it. Seems that Earth life is resolutely right-handed (at least in the sense of the chirality of our sugars). The only side effect is that, since it isn't metabolized, it must be broken down in the intestines. We all know what that process creates.
If the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5466
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
First time I've heard of it. Has it been tested on humans before?

Yup. Taste-wise, it is equivalent to regular glucose. Problem is, we've yet to find a natural process that creates it. Seems that Earth life is resolutely right-handed (at least in the sense of the chirality of our sugars). The only side effect is that, since it isn't metabolized, it must be broken down in the intestines. We all know what that process creates.

Then no thanks, I all already have a gas problem. it's so bad that gas just pour out of my other end.
 
Topinio
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:28 am
Location: London

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:48 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Then no thanks, I all already have a gas problem. it's so bad that gas just pour out of my other end.

Jesus dude, TMI.

But since we're there, it's fairly likely that staying off the soda will help you out there, as apparently both the bubbles and the sweeteners are causal.

There are also other dietry changes that can help, but 1 step at a time is best for chances of success.
Desktop: E3-1270 v5, X11SAT-F, 32GB, RX Vega 56, 250GB BX100, 2TB Ultrastar, Xonar DGX, XL2730Z + G2420HDB
HTPC: i5-2500K, DH67GD, 6GB, GT 1030 SC, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Barracuda, Xonar DX
Laptop: MacBook6,1
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 49721
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:15 pm

At least it's just gas... :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5466
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:20 pm

just brew it! wrote:
At least it's just gas... :wink:

Funny thing is, I actually started having less gas since I begin drinking coffee. :o
 
trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2037
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:28 am
Location: 'Tween oceans...

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:27 pm

demolition wrote:
I see the use of Stevia in Coca Cola Life as mostly a marketing gimmick. It is basically a regular coke with 25% of the sugar content replaced with Stevia, and those 25% doesn't make much of a difference. People who buy it may also unconsciously drink more of it since they feel that it is healthier. When you write non-fructose, I guess you mean glucose? That isn't exactly healthy either, although I think the Coke Life around here is just based on sucrose like regular Coke.


I meant that Coke Life normally contains cane sugar, a natural source of sucrose. It does have 60% of the sugar of regular Coke, but does not readily cause tissue inflammation when ingested in large amounts. You're right that Coke Life is not all that healthy, unlike waters and most infusion drinks (my favorites are moringa and cucumber).
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 49721
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:13 pm

trackerben wrote:
demolition wrote:
I see the use of Stevia in Coca Cola Life as mostly a marketing gimmick. It is basically a regular coke with 25% of the sugar content replaced with Stevia, and those 25% doesn't make much of a difference. People who buy it may also unconsciously drink more of it since they feel that it is healthier. When you write non-fructose, I guess you mean glucose? That isn't exactly healthy either, although I think the Coke Life around here is just based on sucrose like regular Coke.

I meant that Coke Life normally contains cane sugar, a natural source of sucrose. It does have 60% of the sugar of regular Coke, but does not readily cause tissue inflammation when ingested in large amounts. You're right that Coke Life is not all that healthy, unlike waters and most infusion drinks (my favorites are moringa and cucumber).

Sucrose is just a glucose molecule and a fructose molecule linked together; these are rapidly split apart into individual fructose and glucose molecules by the enzyme sucrase, in your small intestine. HFCS is typically 55% fructose and 45% glucose. Same damn stuff, pretty much.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2037
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:28 am
Location: 'Tween oceans...

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:43 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Sucrose is just a glucose molecule and a fructose molecule linked together; these are rapidly split apart into individual fructose and glucose molecules by the enzyme sucrase, in your small intestine. HFCS is typically 55% fructose and 45% glucose. Same damn stuff, pretty much.


Pretty much so, same with the bad effects.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 49721
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:48 pm

trackerben wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Sucrose is just a glucose molecule and a fructose molecule linked together; these are rapidly split apart into individual fructose and glucose molecules by the enzyme sucrase, in your small intestine. HFCS is typically 55% fructose and 45% glucose. Same damn stuff, pretty much.

Pretty much so, same with the bad effects.

But you implied that cane sugar is better, because it is "natural".
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5466
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:48 pm

Well drinking coffee mixed with a teapoon of unsweetened dark cocoa powder and stevia is helping me kick my soda habit. :wink:
 
trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2037
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:28 am
Location: 'Tween oceans...

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:46 am

just brew it! wrote:
But you implied that cane sugar is better, because it is "natural".


Err no, Cane sugar is still sugar, HFCS is also mostly derived from natural sources, unlike man-made artificial sweeteners.

Coke Life is not better because it relies on a natural source of sucrose, it's because it contains about 1/3 less sugar overall than the regular drink. I was responding to demolition's questioning of my misleading term 'non-fructose' (now corrected) and agreed that it uses sucrose, as he pointed out. For me, Coke Life also seems to taste better. Perhaps because cane sugar just tastes better in most drinks?

I was also agreeing with you in that equal amounts of all forms of sugar, as used in most processed foods, will produce the same effects.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5466
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:59 am

trackerben wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
But you implied that cane sugar is better, because it is "natural".


Err no, Cane sugar is still sugar, HFCS is also mostly derived from natural sources, unlike man-made artificial sweeteners.

Coke Life is not better because it relies on a natural source of sucrose, it's because it contains about 1/3 less sugar overall than the regular drink. I was responding to demolition's questioning of my misleading term 'non-fructose' (now corrected) and agreed that it uses sucrose, as he pointed out. For me, Coke Life also seems to taste better. Perhaps because cane sugar just tastes better in most drinks?

I was also agreeing with you in that equal amounts of all forms of sugar, as used in most processed foods, will produce the same effects.

Why not just use pure stevia?
 
trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2037
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:28 am
Location: 'Tween oceans...

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:01 am

whm1974 wrote:
Well drinking coffee mixed with a teapoon of unsweetened dark cocoa powder and stevia is helping me kick my soda habit. :wink:


It's my habit as well! I add powdered whole milk and a chocolate/stevia/creamer generic powder mix to make home-style mocha. I normally use instant coffee flakes as it's only simple mocha. I try to avoid vegetable oil-based creamers, though.

Why not just use pure stevia?


I use pure stevia a lot, but sometimes there's nothing else but Splenda around. Or muscovado sugar, which my wife buys and we both like.
Last edited by trackerben on Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5466
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:12 am

Strange enough I found some websites and YouTube videos about adding some sweet(unsalted) butter to this. Maybe I'll try it next time I have a cup.
 
trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2037
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:28 am
Location: 'Tween oceans...

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:15 am

whm1974 wrote:
Strange enough I found some websites and YouTube videos about adding some sweet(unsalted) butter to this. Maybe I'll try it next time I have a cup.


Oh yea, now you're onto it. With some people, butter depresses fat production from certain other foods that they are also eating (same with low-fat, high-calcium milk). If life feels too short at times, you can melt in a dollop of crunchy peanut butter in place of marshmallows or something. Or put in a half-teaspoon of mint syrup, if that does it for you.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5466
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:31 am

trackerben wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Strange enough I found some websites and YouTube videos about adding some sweet(unsalted) butter to this. Maybe I'll try it next time I have a cup.


Oh yea, now you're onto it. With some people, butter depresses fat production from certain other foods that they are also eating (same with low-fat, high-calcium milk). If life feels too short at times, you can melt in a dollop of crunchy peanut butter in place of marshmallows or something. Or put in a half-teaspoon of mint syrup, if that does it for you.

Well what do you think of mixing coffee, dark cocoa, stevia, and unsalted butter together and drinking the mixture?
 
trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2037
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:28 am
Location: 'Tween oceans...

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:32 am

whm1974 wrote:
Well what do you think of mixing coffee, dark cocoa, stevia, and unsalted butter together and drinking the mixture?


It's nice when you're in the mood for something rich. I sometimes make buttered mocha that way but with decaf coffee and extra whole milk. I also like plain brewed & buttered milk coffee with stevia, muscovado if things are especially chilly.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 49721
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:37 am

trackerben wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
But you implied that cane sugar is better, because it is "natural".

Err no, Cane sugar is still sugar, HFCS is also mostly derived from natural sources, unlike man-made artificial sweeteners.

You said:
trackerben wrote:
I meant that Coke Life normally contains cane sugar, a natural source of sucrose. It does have 60% of the sugar of regular Coke, but does not readily cause tissue inflammation when ingested in large amounts.

Seemed to me you were saying that Coke Life doesn't cause inflammation because cane sugar is from "a natural source of sucrose" (as opposed to the HFCS used in regular Coke). If that's not what you meant, then I misinterpreted that post.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
cjcerny
Gerbil First Class
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:58 pm

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:18 am

Not to be too preachy, but there really isn't any beverage that you should be drinking other than water if health is your main concern. Even coffee, tea, and milk have their downsides. I'll be the first one to admit that this is a really hard goal because all those sugary drinks taste really damn good, but don't fool yourself into thinking that "diet" or "cane sugar" or "stevia" based beverages or anything else are good for you. They are not.

I've been at 100% water for years and I still feel the pull of a Coke to wash down whatever. You have to figure out the tricks and games that you need to play on yourself to get there, like not having the stuff in your house, or buying small cans, or whatever it takes, honestly. It can be done--and you'll feel so much better (as long as you don't compensate by eating sugary snacks) that you will be so mad at yourself for having mistreated your body for so many years.
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests