Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: OK I finally had with binge drinking soda.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:16 am

just brew it! wrote:
Seemed to me you were saying that Coke Life doesn't cause inflammation because cane sugar is from "a natural source of sucrose" (as opposed to the HFCS used in regular Coke). If that's not what you meant, then I misinterpreted that post.

Yes, describing added sugars as healthy in drinks wasn't what I intended. Heavy usage leads to systemic imbalances in blood sugar levels and will whipsaw insulin production badly in susceptible persons.

I regret that the phrase is misleading. It's reasonable for anyone to interpret it as supporting more than an agreement on sucrose's presence in Coke Life. I will say that I do tolerate naturally-derived sugars (especially cane and coconut derivatives) better on a daily basis than Aspartame, though.

trackerben

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:45 am

cjcerny wrote:
Not to be too preachy, but there really isn't any beverage that you should be drinking other than water if health is your main concern...

Preach it brother for it's true, though we fail to follow. I am adding my coffee/mocha vice to my fasting routines, now that I can overcome my aversion in spirit.

...I've been at 100% water for years and I still feel the pull of a Coke to wash down whatever. You have to figure out the tricks and games that you need to play on yourself to get there, like not having the stuff in your house, or buying small cans, or whatever it takes, honestly. It can be done--and you'll feel so much better (as long as you don't compensate by eating sugary snacks) that you will be so mad at yourself for having mistreated your body for so many years.

Try this: quietly spit out some every so often, after pooling for the taste.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:00 am

trackerben wrote:
I regret that the phrase is misleading. It's reasonable for anyone to interpret it as supporting more than an agreement on sucrose's presence in Coke Life. I will say that I do tolerate naturally-derived sugars (especially cane and coconut derivatives) better on a daily basis than Aspartame, though.

I'm convinced that all Aspartame is not created equal (heh). The local supermarket used to have a house brand of diet cola, and drinking even one glass of it would give me a headache, not unlike a mild hangover.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Aether
Silver subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:20 am

cjcerny wrote:
Not to be too preachy, but there really isn't any beverage that you should be drinking other than water if health is your main concern. Even coffee, tea, and milk have their downsides.

I don't agree with this statement. There is mounting evidence that moderate coffee consumption is not deleterious and may even be beneficial. If you enjoy black coffee (as I do), there is no documented downside, unless you have specific health issues like heart arrhythmia or high blood pressure and shouldn't consume caffeine. I am unaware of detrimental health effects of consuming whole milk from cows that are not given hormones or antibiotics. I don't know about tea, but I'm not specifically aware of it being bad for you.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:34 am

Same thing with some amount of wine.

whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:52 am

And dark unsweeten and undutched cocoa.

demolition
Gerbil

Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:56 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Why not just use pure stevia?

Because pure Stevia has a quite bitter taste. They are working on finding variants that taste better but so far they say that they can only replace 20% of the sugar with Stevia before it negatively affects the taste. That being said, perhaps you can get used to a pure Stevia taste, however it is not comparable to real sugar any more.

I find it curious why many people think that cane sugar is more 'natural' than regular white sugar. Regular sugar is also natural in the way that it is made from sugarbeets. So is HFCS which is made from corn. Why should sugar made from sugar canes be better than if it is made from sugar beets or corn? The end result is practically the same - >~99% sucrose. There's small differences in the balance between fructose and glucose but nothing really significant. Cane sugar may look more 'natural' since it is not white but that is just because it still contains a bit of impurities that colors it brown. Those impurities might change the taste a bit but doesn't change anything with regards to how it affects your blood sugar and your body in general.

trackerben

Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:56 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I'm convinced that all Aspartame is not created equal (heh). The local supermarket used to have a house brand of diet cola, and drinking even one glass of it would give me a headache, not unlike a mild hangover.

I'd stay away from regular use of that stuff, even if you can get it for free.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:08 pm

trackerben wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Yeah, I've been working on cutting back. It helps that I actually like La Croix.

Apparently Diet Mt. Dew uses a blend of aspartame, acesulfame potassium, and sucralose. TBH I have no idea whether that is better or worse than pure aspartame from a potential health effects standpoint...

whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:08 pm

just brew it! wrote:
trackerben wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Yeah, I've been working on cutting back. It helps that I actually like La Croix.

Apparently Diet Mt. Dew uses a blend of aspartame, acesulfame potassium, and sucralose. TBH I have no idea whether that is better or worse than pure aspartame from a potential health effects standpoint...

Well I glad I quit drinking that stuff almost two weeks ago.

Anyway I ran out of stevia and Walgreen didn't have any so I end up buying two 16oz boxes of brown sugar. :evil: I only use one teaspoon of it per cup instead of two however. Maybe next time I go to Walmart I'll buy a bunch of it, or maybe Save n' Save carries it?

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:48 pm

Brown sugar is probably better for you anyway.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:36 pm

If you're gonna do this for the long run i recommend getting liquid versions of your choice sweetener on amazon.

The powder versions are usually bound to maltodextrin(carbs) to reduce the concentration and make the measurements sugarlike.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:38 pm

Redocbew wrote:

Unless you happen to be deficient in one of the trace minerals found in molasses, probably not. (It's just white sugar with a bit of molasses in it.)

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:48 am

True. I meant in comparison to a low calorie sugar substitute. Looking for alternatives which don't have as sharp a glycemic response is one thing, but it seems like we might be turning the corner on thinking the substitutes are better just because they have a lower calorie count. At least I hope so, because this is a huge mess. Chemistry is not my field, but I also have to wonder what the effects are of refining and manufacturing these things. Heiwashin touched on that a bit, I guess.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:32 am

just brew it! wrote:
Redocbew wrote:

Unless you happen to be deficient in one of the trace minerals found in molasses, probably not. (It's just white sugar with a bit of molasses in it.)

I cut the serving size in half.

strangerguy
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:06 am

Redocbew wrote:
True. I meant in comparison to a low calorie sugar substitute. Looking for alternatives which don't have as sharp a glycemic response is one thing, but it seems like we might be turning the corner on thinking the substitutes are better just because they have a lower calorie count. At least I hope so, because this is a huge mess. Chemistry is not my field, but I also have to wonder what the effects are of refining and manufacturing these things. Heiwashin touched on that a bit, I guess.

There's so much big govt and money interests riding the sugar and diabetes health FUD train that I don't know who to trust anymore.

The only thing I can definitely trust is my wallet since not drinking soda every day nets me a 8700K + Z370 equivalent of savings every year. Not smoking half a pack a day will net me a free iPhone X 256GB every year.
8700K 4.3GHz @ 1.05V | Cryorig H7 | MSI Z370M AC | 32GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3200 | GTX 1070 @ 0.8V | 500GB Evo 850 | 1TB M550 | 3TB Toshiba | Seasonic G650 | Acer XB271HU

Aether
Silver subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:13 am

whm1974 wrote:

That's great if you are only using 1 tsp of sugar per serving, given how much sugar you used to be consuming in each serving of soda. Once your taste buds have adjusted to this new norm, you should try cutting the sugar in half again to see if this works. In addition, when you retrain your taste for drinks not being sugary sweet, you may find that you also do not need your food to be sweetened as much.

whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:24 am

Aether wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

That's great if you are only using 1 tsp of sugar per serving, given how much sugar you used to be consuming in each serving of soda. Once your taste buds have adjusted to this new norm, you should try cutting the sugar in half again to see if this works. In addition, when you retrain your taste for drinks not being sugary sweet, you may find that you also do not need your food to be sweetened as much.

Well I only brought brown sugar because Walgreen didn't have any Stevia and it was much cheaper then Splenda was.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:29 am

whm1974 wrote:
Well I only brought brown sugar because Walgreen didn't have any Stevia and it was much cheaper then Splenda was.

Nutritionally it is effectively identical to plain sugar. Unless you bought "raw" or "turbinado" sugar, it is actually refined white sugar that has had a little of the molasses (which is refined out in the production process) mixed back into it. The difference between light and dark brown sugar is the amount of molasses that gets reintroduced after the sugar has been refined.

whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:36 am

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

Nutritionally it is effectively identical to plain sugar. Unless you bought "raw" or "turbinado" sugar, it is actually refined white sugar that has had a little of the molasses (which is refined out in the production process) mixed back into it. The difference between light and dark brown sugar is the amount of molasses that gets reintroduced after the sugar has been refined.

Well that is well I'm only using one teaspoon of brown sugar instead of two.

whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:01 pm

Do they put something in soda to make it more addicting? I quit soda cold turkey two weeks ago and I'm still getting cravings. The coffee and raw cacao mix helps but I really had to force myself not to buy any soda when I to Walgreen twice this week.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:18 pm

Caffeine is addictive.

whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:25 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Caffeine is addictive.

I know that!!! I still rather drink soda then coffee despite the higher caffeine content of coffee.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:53 pm

If you know that why did you ask?

whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:01 pm

just brew it! wrote:
If you know that why did you ask?

Because I'm still getting strong cravings for soda.

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite

Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:03 pm

The coffee and cocoa should cover the caffeine though.

No idea what ingredients might be responsible, but PepsiCo sodas and especially Mountain Dew affect me much more than can be explained by the caffeine content. Caffeine in other forms (even other sodas) hardly does anything to me, but a 20oz Dew is an uncomfortable amount of stimulant even if I was a bit sleepy to start with. PepsiCo has got to be using some pretty weird stuff in it.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:00 pm

Your body responds to the sugar by releasing reward chemicals in the brain. Your brain wants you to consume sugar to keep the fix going. Just keep up the fight. Keep water around at all times to sip on. As a motivator, use the money you save to go to the bbq next year ;)

whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:08 pm

DragonDaddyBear wrote:
Your body responds to the sugar by releasing reward chemicals in the brain. Your brain wants you to consume sugar to keep the fix going. Just keep up the fight. Keep water around at all times to sip on. As a motivator, use the money you save to go to the bbq next year ;)

Maybe I should buy a jar of dark molasses and put that in my drink mix instead of white or brown sugar when I run out of Stevia? I think dark molasses is strong enough that I would only need to use a small amount.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:09 pm

whm1974 wrote:
DragonDaddyBear wrote:

Maybe I should buy a jar of dark molasses and put that in my drink mix instead of white or brown sugar when I run out of Stevia? I think dark molasses is strong enough that I would only need to use a small amount.

If you don't mind the flavor of dark molasses I suppose that could work. It'll be messier though.

TBH you'd be even better off getting yourself accustomed to unsweetened beverages. I've gotten to where I vastly prefer tea unsweetened, for example.

whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:17 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
DragonDaddyBear wrote:

If you don't mind the flavor of dark molasses I suppose that could work. It'll be messier though.

TBH you'd be even better off getting yourself accustomed to unsweetened beverages. I've gotten to where I vastly prefer tea unsweetened, for example.

Well I do enjoy a dark rum every now and then. But I only drink a shot or two. So I would have to use less, maybe a teaspoon per 16oz of coffee?