Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Robo Vacuum for Christmas

Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:11 am

I'm thinking of getting the wife a cheap robot vacuum for Christmas this year. I've been waiting for black Friday to come and saw a ECOVACS DEEBOT N79. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Re: Robo Vacuum for Christmas

Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:23 am

Buying your wife a vacuum for Christmas is a bold choice :lol: my wife loves ours. We have the low-end Roomba and absolutely love it.

Omniman
Gerbil XP

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:43 am

I've got a Roomba and it works great. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience on any other brands :(
Intel i7-7700, MSI Trident, 32GB DDR4 2133mhz, Geforce 1060GTX, and Samsung Evo 1TB.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:38 pm

She has asked for one. She is very on top of vacuuming and doesn't have an easy time finding time.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:51 pm

They were fantastic in hard floors or surface dirt on carpet. They don’t have deep suction so aren’t going to suck out of a thick carpet as well, but if you run it daily, it shouldn’t really get to be a problem.

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:44 pm

We got a Eufy Robovac 11, which is basically the same original design but with slightly different customizations. For <$200 shipped we LOVE IT. Robots in this price range don't have fancy things like room tracking but seem to do a decent job with randomly traversing a room and flipping among spot, corner, and full room modes until the battery runs out. The parts are cheap to replace, the bin is easy to clean, it's quiet, has an IR remote to navigate it wherever, and the battery lasts 30-45m depending on how thick the carpet is or over an hour and a half on hardwood floors.

Is it as powerful or thorough as a normal vacuum? No. But you know what? It's way easier to just press a button and have it do a quick cleaning while I go do other stuff. Because of that, the floors get cleaned way more often than if I had to lug the big vacuum out and do it all myself. It's a great maintenance vacuum but you're still going to do the actual spring cleaning.

Five stars, would buy cheap knockoff Roomba again.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:42 pm

As long as you think of it as a sweeper instead of a vac, it'll probably be fine. Personally, I'd go for a refurb Neato for the same price or less, as they can frequently be found for.
TR BBQ XV is over.

BIF
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:49 am

I'm terrible about having stuff on the floors in every room, so I'd probably confuse these little fellas. But I'm fascinated by them. Do they go back and dock when they need recharging?

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:57 am

TR BBQ XV is over.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:26 am

Fish, any recommendations, were to find a deal on one? Amazon sold out of the m79 for $150, which is admit add much budget as I have room for.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:37 am

Best deals I've seen are from NewEgg and Amazon marketplace sellers. I still don't recommend someone go right out and buy a top of the line $500-800 model right away. Look for a refurb XV-21 for $125. If you like it, dedicate it to a room or a floor of your house when you get a brand new one. You might even find that the refurb is "good enough" for longer than you'd expect.
TR BBQ XV is over.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:06 am

We bought ours on Craigslist for $120

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:24 am

I couldn't find a refurbed Neato that was in seemingly decent condition for under $200. In the end I went with the Deebot. Here's to hoping she'll like it!

Anthonyb
Gerbil In Training

Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:47 am

I have now bought two vacuum cleaners and both of them have disappointed me. iLIFE V3s just went silent and the next one, Housemile is just a joke - Doesn't clean at all.Thinking of spending a fortune but I'm still not decided on which one to go for between the Roomba 960 and Roomba 980
Or do I just get the Roomba 890, I hear its way cheaper ...Bear in mind I have no pets

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:39 am

What flooring do you have? Carpet or tile/laminate/hardwood.

YoTechBoii
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:55 am

was looking into Eufy too since it runs longer hours compared to other expensive vacuums but it would have been nice if it can be connected to wifi.

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:12 am

YoTechBoii wrote:
was looking into Eufy too since it runs longer hours compared to other expensive vacuums but it would have been nice if it can be connected to wifi.

I have the Eufy (not the + version) and on hardwood it runs for over 2h at a time. On very low-pile carpet it runs about 2h, on medium-pile carpet it goes about 45m-1h on highest power. The algorithm it uses is not that smart but it gets the job done. I quite like it for day to day sweeping. Keeps the cat hair at bay.

janiewellen
Gerbil In Training

Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:29 pm

Which type of floor are you using? What is your budget?

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:35 am

Not that I would respond to a mild necro, there is the fact I never followed up. I ended up with a DeeBot. It worked surprisingly well on our carpet and hardwood. It didn't get everything every time but that dirt bin was way more full than I expected it to be. Unfortunately it was quite stupid and was inefficient. It's stupidity caused it to commit suicide via the stairs. It survived the first time but not the second. It's way dead now.

SmartHomeNerd
Gerbil In Training

Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:27 pm

Which one Deebot did you get? N79?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:43 am

I have a Eufy Robovac 11+ and love it! We use it on hardwoods with area rugs and it does an darn good job. I bought it after reading a Lifehacker article that suggested it as a middle end one.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:57 am

So, the person that necro'ed this was a first-time poster and didn't read the part where I said we selected the DeeBot. I wasn't keen on responding. However, I thought I'd update my status with it since people seem to read this.

DeeBot is dead. It died months ago. It committed suicide via jumping off the ledge downstairs. It took it two tries. The cause of the demise appears to be a design issue. The sensor that detects drops was covered in pet hair. After the first attempt and ending up in the junk pile I discovered this and tried to keep it clean but it's just not possible with 2 kids and 2 cats. That said, it was amazing while it worked. I couldn't believe with how stupid that thing was and just how much it got up. You still need to vacuum but should add some time between when you having to do any real work. That is, if you don't have stairs and cats.

SmartHomeNerd
Gerbil In Training

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:21 pm

I've read all of the thread, just wanted to check did you get the particular N79 model or something else. But the note answered my question. Thanks for the update! :)

Kretschmer
Silver subscriber
Gerbil XP

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:29 pm

I know that the OP has already made this decision, but I might as well throw in my experience for other readers.

My Deebot M80 Pro (nicknamed "Helen Keller") was a black Friday impulse buy to assist with the copious cat hair and litter than can infest a studio apartment. At its best, the Deebot is great for sucking up pet detritus, but it rarely brings its A game. Unless you thoroughly vacuum-proof your apartment, it WILL get stuck. I'm not just talking about any kind of wire, from power strip cords to phone chargers. Ms. Keller will relentlessly hump any small elevation (like the 1.5" base of my cat tower) until the battery runs dry, never realizing that the 985th try is probably not going to work better than the 743rd try. I'll even come home to it drained on the 60-degree, 2-inch-wide legs of my dining table! If by a miracle the Deebot completes its cleaning cycle you're faced with another 50/50 chance of it finding the charging dock (in a 500 sqft Manhattan studio, not a maze or palace).

Overall I would say that this product saves me work (especially if I'm home to untangle and extricate it during its cycle), but its' not the sort of thing you can rely on to tidy up on a timer before friends visit.

Kretschmer
Silver subscriber
Gerbil XP

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:33 pm

Helen asleep on the job:

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:56 pm

Kretschmer wrote:
Helen asleep on the job:

Haha, love the reply. I had a very similar experience. It works but is very stupid. It would get caught in my drums all the time. It ran daily because it would get stuck and not finish.