Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Re: Your favorite brand of coffee?

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:10 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Redocbew wrote:
LD50 is the estimated dose that will kill half of the people for which it is given. If you're not part of that half, then lucky you, but it's still a very very bad idea.

Well I guess we can get away doing dumb stuff in our teens that would kill us in our 40's or later?

That too. I injured my back when I was in my teens, because of stupidity. It meant a trip to the ER, but I was out after an exam and a scrip for painkillers. The docs there said that if I did the same stupid stunt in my 30s I'd be looking at permanent injury and long-term physical therapy.

Teenagers aren't actually immortal, but they are still elastic enough to bounce well.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:16 pm

Redocbew wrote:
2.5 grams is 2500 milligrams. Again, you're grossly overestimating the amounts involved here.

As I recall the caffeine pills came in 16 pill packs. At one point when I was 17, I was consuming whole packs every day with lots of soda. Strange enough however I had no trouble sleeping at night.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:25 pm

As JAE said earlier, the half life of caffeine is about 5 to 6 hours meaning that after 5 to 6 hours half of the caffeine you ingested is gone from your system. Obviously it's not a great idea to be popping caffeine pills like that, but I still don't think you had as much in your system as you seem to think you did.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:32 pm

Redocbew wrote:
As JAE said earlier, the half life of caffeine is about 5 to 6 hours meaning that after 5 to 6 hours half of the caffeine you ingested is gone from your system. Obviously it's not a great idea to be popping caffeine pills like that, but I still don't think you had as much in your system as you seem to think you did.

I was consuming enough caffeine that I was twitching. between 16 200mg pills and the amount of soda, I thinking I was consuming 3600mg to 4000mg per 16 to 18 hours. And like I said, I no trouble sleeping 6 to 8 hours.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:46 pm

The point being that you didn't take that much all at once. If you had, then you probably wouldn't be here. Stupid teenager antics aside there are limits to how different one body is from another.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:51 pm

Redocbew wrote:
The point being that you didn't take that much all at once. If you had, then you probably wouldn't be here. Stupid teenager antics aside there are limits to how different one body is from another.

Of course I wouldn't do it now since I much wiser(I hope!!!) and 43 y/o with high blood pressure.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:13 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:
3. Inverted AeroPress method with METAL mesh (the paper soaks up the oils).

I've only recently started drinking coffee, so I'm still learning, but I just did a side-by-side test of this point and there's a noticeable difference. I just had a jug of cold brew finish (14 hours), so I figured this would be a perfect test from the exact same batch of coffee. I filtered a sample through my french press metal filter and another sample through a traditional white paper filter. My grinder kinda sucks (Mr. Coffee burr grinder), so I get more "mud" than I'd like, but gravity usually does the trick for coarse filtered (french press). Grittiness aside (from the mud suspended in the freshly shaken pour), the coffee from the metal filter was definitely more earthy, and the paper filter coffee was watery in comparison.

BTW, what (if any) difference is there between the white paper filters and the brown ones?
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:49 pm

OK I did it and finally brought a jar of molasses and decided to try it with a cup of dark cacao and coffee. And oh boy was the aroma very strong after I opened the jar. Placed a teaspoon of it in my drink and tasted like I needed some more... A bit strong, but delicious.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:03 am

DPete27 wrote:
BTW, what (if any) difference is there between the white paper filters and the brown ones?

Mainly, the satisfaction of knowing your filters were not bleached, thereby shaving a small fraction off the pollution created by the papermaking process. But white presents better on the shelf, so most of them are white.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration