Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Your favorite brand of coffee?

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:55 pm

whm1974 wrote:
That's funny, how did you find that?

How else was I to respond to foul calumny against cheesy comestibles? Oh, and from whence do you think the cheese requirement for every TR poll came forth ('twas the sketch, not me)?

That said, if there's anything one may reliably find on YouTube, it's Python sketches.

As for the topic coffee is (to me) simply a caffeine delivery device. If it doesn't gag me when I drink it (black only), it's acceptable.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:30 pm

whm1974 wrote:
I only had to put two packets of Stevia in instead of three or four.
Stevia tastes completely nasty to me. Splenda is the best low-calorie sweetener.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:32 pm

Interesting I found two websites that reported some health benefits from a study about drinking coffee with cocoa power mixed in:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... -span.html
https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2017/03 ... ur-coffee/
Well to me coffee and dark cocoa together is perfect. :P

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:12 am

Captain Ned wrote:

You don't say?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:37 am

ludi wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Why would anyone even drink that that?

I'm told the civet is a finicky critter that only eats the best coffee cherries on the bush. Then the acids and enzymes in their G.I. tract, having stripped away the cherry flesh for digestion, have a pleasant effect on the seed's character.

I've never tried it myself. But I have tried many varieties of something that a yeast culture ate and peed out, generally with pleasant results.

Agreed. Have you ever seen how kombucha is made? We make it at home. It's pretty gross, but it's good stuff and good for you.

I'd try this coffee, except for the price tag.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:38 am

whm1974 wrote:
ludi wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Why would anyone even drink that that?

I'm told the civet is a finicky critter that only eats the best coffee cherries on the bush. Then the acids and enzymes in their G.I. tract, having stripped away the cherry flesh for digestion, have a pleasant effect on the seed's character.

Even so people who buy this stuff are literally drinking expensive Sh*t. :o

Dude, they clean the poop off, LOL. It's not like you're sticking a dung patty in your coffee machine.

Kretschmer
Gerbil XP

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:28 am

I'm going to hijack this travesty of this thread to ask if there is any decaffeinated brand that can compare to bold dark caffeinated coffee. I try and manage caffeine intake but miss that intoxicating taste.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:52 am

Kretschmer wrote:
I'm going to hijack this travesty of this thread to ask if there is any decaffeinated brand that can compare to bold dark caffeinated coffee. I try and manage caffeine intake but miss that intoxicating taste.

If you can find a brand of decaff coffee using the supercritical CO2 method that leaves the taste while removing the caffeine. From Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decaffeination
CO2 process

This process has been referred to as CO2 Method, Liquid Carbon Dioxide Method, and Supercritical Carbon Dioxide method but it is technically known as supercritical fluid extraction.

The supercritical CO2 acts selectively on the caffeine, releasing the alkaloid and nothing else. Water-soaked coffee beans are placed in an extraction vessel. The extractor is then sealed and supercritical CO2 is forced into the coffee at pressures of 1,000 pounds per square inch (about 69 bar) to extract the caffeine.[3] The CO2 acts as the solvent to dissolve and draw the caffeine from the coffee beans, leaving the larger-molecule flavor components behind. The caffeine-laden CO2 is then transferred to another container called the absorption chamber where the pressure is released and the CO2 returns to its gaseous state and evaporates, leaving the caffeine behind.[3] The caffeine is removed from the CO2 using charcoal filters, and the caffeine free CO2 is pumped back into a pressurized container for reuse on another batch of beans. This process has the advantage that it avoids the use of potentially harmful substances. Because of its cost, this process is primarily used to decaffeinate large quantities of commercial-grade, less-exotic coffee found in grocery stores.[3]

Aether
Gerbil First Class

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:04 am

Kretschmer wrote:

While I have had decaf that I would call good, I have never had any with the same flavor complexity as bold dark caffeinated coffee.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:20 am

Aether wrote:
Kretschmer wrote:

While I have had decaf that I would call good, I have never had any with the same flavor complexity as bold dark caffeinated coffee.

In Kretchmer's case he might be better off drinking dark chocolate made from raw cacao power instead of coffee.

Kretschmer
Gerbil XP

Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:22 pm

I ordered two brands of coffee that are decaffeinated through the "Swiss Water" method. Worst comes to worst they will be on par with what I'm already drinking.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:48 pm

Starbucks double espresso for when I have to work 10PM to 7AM shift. Luckily, for cost reasons, it's only once every couple months I have to do that.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:14 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Stevia tastes completely nasty to me. Splenda is the best low-calorie sweetener.

Agreed - I hate the trend of adding stevia to stuff to sweeten it, it's just foul, like a weaker saccharin. I don't really care for any of the artificial sweeteners, I take honey in my coffee.

Aether wrote:
Kretschmer wrote:

I'm with Aether on this - I have a back of good decaf beans on the shelf that I will be making use of in an hour or so for my afternoon cup. It's from a local roaster, Barismo. It makes a good cup of coffee, and the best decaf I've ever had, but it's not quite as good as the morning cup of medium dark roast.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:19 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Aether wrote:
Kretschmer wrote:

I'm with Aether on this - I have a back of good decaf beans on the shelf that I will be making use of in an hour or so for my afternoon cup. It's from a local roaster, Barismo. It makes a good cup of coffee, and the best decaf I've ever had, but it's not quite as good as the morning cup of medium dark roast.

If you don't want the caffeine, then why drink coffee? Oh and by the way, decaff still does have some caffeine in it.

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:34 pm

Cold brew. Black with cane sugar, or a bit of flavored cream if I'm in the mood. Brand doesn't matter, a lot of times the fancy expensive brands taste weird to me. Actually though, like others in this thread I've been wanting tea more than coffee lately. English Breakfast. I have a taste for strong drinks, too often it tastes watered down.
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:28 pm

whm1974 wrote:
If you don't want the caffeine, then why drink coffee? Oh and by the way, decaff still does have some caffeine in it.

Because coffee tastes good? I mean, that's why I drink it in the first place: I like the taste and the fact that it's a hot beverage. The caffeine is welcome, but not necessary. And I've found that a cup of regular coffee in the afternoon or evening leads me to staying awake later at night, which I don't necessarily want. Therefore, decaf in the afternoon.

And while there is a trace amount of caffeine remaining in decaf, by law it has to be so small as to have no effect.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:44 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

Because coffee tastes good? I mean, that's why I drink it in the first place: I like the taste and the fact that it's a hot beverage. The caffeine is welcome, but not necessary. And I've found that a cup of regular coffee in the afternoon or evening leads me to staying awake later at night, which I don't necessarily want. Therefore, decaf in the afternoon.

And while there is a trace amount of caffeine remaining in decaf, by law it has to be so small as to have no effect.

OK decaff has less then I thought. But they measure the cup at 6oz, and just who normally only drinks 6oz at time? The cups I have holds 16oz of fluid and coffee at restaurants and elsewhere are usually 12oz or more.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:57 am

400 milligrams is an often quoted value for the safe daily allowance of caffeine. Do the math, and you'd need to be drinking a bucket of decaf coffee everyday in order to get anywhere near that much in your system. Even then, you'd have to down the buckets pretty quickly to sustain that amount before it gets metabolized out.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:49 am

Caffeine stays in your system about 10 hours. That's why I try not to drink caffeinated beverages after lunch.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:18 am

Redocbew wrote:
400 milligrams is an often quoted value for the safe daily allowance of caffeine. Do the math, and you'd need to be drinking a bucket of decaf coffee everyday in order to get anywhere near that much in your system. Even then, you'd have to down the buckets pretty quickly to sustain that amount before it gets metabolized out.

Pfft. LD50 or nothing.

(Before anyone even thinks I'm serious - do not test the LD50 figures.)

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:41 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Redocbew wrote:

Pfft. LD50 or nothing.

I think with caffeine a healthy human would have to consume multiple grams of the stuff in a day just to reach intoxication much less LD50. With coffee, tea,and most sodas, that is almost impossible unless you are also downing pills with them.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:47 am

whm1974 wrote:
Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Redocbew wrote:

Pfft. LD50 or nothing.

I think with caffeine a healthy human would have to consume multiple grams of the stuff in a day just to reach intoxication much less LD50. With coffee, tea,and most sodas, that is almost impossible unless you are also downing pills with them.

In case you're thinking of putting this to the test, the estimate (because we can't test it to be certain) for human LD50 that I read years ago is 2500 mg -- 2.5 g -- or 250 mg/kg of body weight, whichever comes first. That is very easily achievable with a combination of beverages and caffeine pills, so please, don't mess around with it.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:52 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
In case you're thinking of putting this to the test, the estimate (because we can't test it to be certain) for human LD50 that I read years ago is 2500 mg -- 2.5 g -- or 250 mg/kg of body weight, whichever comes first. That is very easily achievable with a combination of beverages and caffeine pills, so please, don't mess around with it.

You're short a zero in your total mass measurement for a 100kg person.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:53 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Pfft. LD50 or nothing.

Never fear, because I won't. I've been through that in my late teens and early 20's.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:21 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Chuckaluphagus wrote:

It was "whichever came first," meaning that 2.5 g of caffeine taken at once was the hypothetical LD50 for a human regardless of body mass.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:38 pm

I've become kind of a coffee snob. I'm sure I'm not a snob among snobs, but just above your average coffee drinker in terms of budget and time spent with it.

1. Filtered water at 195 degrees. Much hotter and you'll scorch the grind and ruin the flavor IMO.
2. Fresh grind of your choice. I like Rook's coffee (https://rookcoffee.com/) lately. For a grocery store purchase, probably Peet's dark roast.
3. Inverted AeroPress method with METAL mesh (the paper soaks up the oils).
4. Smidge of cream for color, raw turbinado sugar to taste.

I didn't start drinking coffee until around age 30, I don't know how I lived without it.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:47 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Chuckaluphagus wrote:

It was "whichever came first," meaning that 2.5 g of caffeine taken at once was the hypothetical LD50 for a human regardless of body mass.

Come to think of it, I might have taken more then 2.5g at once doing my late teens? I was downing 200mg pills with soda at least a few times a day back then.

Redocbew

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:04 pm

LD50 is the estimated dose that will kill half of the people for which it is given. If you're not part of that half, then lucky you, but it's still a very very bad idea.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:06 pm

Redocbew wrote:
LD50 is the estimated dose that will kill half of the people for which it is given. If you're not part of that half, then lucky you, but it's still a very very bad idea.

Well I guess we can get away doing dumb stuff in our teens that would kill us in our 40's or later?

Redocbew

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:07 pm

2.5 grams is 2500 milligrams. Again, you're grossly overestimating the amounts involved here.