Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

dashbarron
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Cyber Monday Deals? Meh.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:37 am

Super anecdotal, readers beware.

So I'm attempting to build a shiny new rig based around the 8700k. My current rig--circa 2009--I exclusively used Newegg which has since lost a lot of luster, which we've all noted. Excluding the processor which was completely on/off again, I had everything in an Amazon cart; and I had alternative parts in there too. I had everything picked out in early November, and have since watched it, seeing what sort of deals pop up for Black Friday & Cyber Monday. All was normal until Tuesday the 21. By Thursday I had dropped $5-20 on 3 or 4 components, but the GPU increased $80, and other parts went unavailable. By Monday, all parts excluding RAM were available again, but both of the monitors Acer/Asus 2560x1440 I was looking at skyrocketed to $100-150+, and the other slight discounts of $5-20 remained.

Supply and demand came into play and drove the overall cost up enough that I could have jumped up from a 1070 to a 1080, bought more RAM, or picked the M.2 instead of SATA III SSD and would have felt better.

Needless to say, I've held off buying anything for now.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Cyber Monday Deals? Meh.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:22 am

I helped a friend pick parts for a PC this month and we just bought deals as they came. Starting around the 20th parts started to drop here and there and so I'd grab one. Saved around $80 in total, enough to go with a nicer EVGA B3 power supply and fancier mATX case and still come in well under budget. You just have to grab the parts you want when the deal happens or, like you said, the parts will become unavailable.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:37 am

I was very happy with the Steam Sale but it started well before Cyber Monday.

Got 7 games for an average of under 10 bucks.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:41 am

The Lego deals on Cyber Monday were Phenomenal! I bought 5 large Star wars sets for under 150 bucks.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

TheRazorsEdge
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:54 am

dashbarron wrote:
I exclusively used Newegg which has since lost a lot of luster

I've noticed them going downhill as well. Too many Amazon-style pricing games, and most of their marketplace partners aren't that great.

I waited for the sales, and they were disappointing all around. Steam are GoG are good as they've always been, but I got that meh feeling too. Especially from Newegg.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:17 am

I managed to get a radeon rx 580 8gb card for $260 with a $10 MIR from Newegg.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

dashbarron
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:31 am

TheRazorsEdge wrote:
dashbarron wrote:
I exclusively used Newegg which has since lost a lot of luster

I've noticed them going downhill as well. Too many Amazon-style pricing games, and most of their marketplace partners aren't that great.

I waited for the sales, and they were disappointing all around. Steam are GoG are good as they've always been, but I got that meh feeling too. Especially from Newegg.

True all that.

Sometimes I see something that looks like a good deal, but never really jump on something because if I needed it I would have already got it. This year, since I'm in the market, I set up this little experiment just to see. Turns out I would have spent a lot more waiting for Cyber Monday on everything as a whole. While it can change every year, a good reminder for myself and others that unless you happen across something, don't hold off waiting.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:41 am

tanker27 wrote:
The Lego deals on Cyber Monday were Phenomenal! I bought 5 large Star wars sets for under 150 bucks.

Oh wow, was not aware they had such deals! Too many Lego in the house already, but sounds like a great deal.

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP

Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:59 am

TheRazorsEdge wrote:

I love when it they state the savings from full list price or when they state that the Oculus Rift is $150 off... Except that the $499 price tag isn't the current list price. I also want to get in on selling the GTX 1080 (non TI) for $899...
Windows10, EVGA G2 750w Power Supply, Acer XB270H G-synch monitor, MSI Krait Gaming 3X, I7 6700K, 16 gigs of CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz ram, Crucial 500 gig SSD, EVGA GTX1080 FTW

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:50 pm

-yeah, few (VERY FEW) really good deals overall. (..that Seasonic gold full modular power supply with rebate was really good.)

What was really skanky going through Newegg's listings for Black Friday and Cyber Monday was the laptop section.

Not only were most of them not "deals" :roll: , but more than half the listings were REFURBISHED :evil: : not just used, but previously BROKEN - and potentially more likely to break again (or at least that's been my experience with that "market").

Of course set the option for New only (which isn't default), and any sense of a really good deal dry's-up *real* fast.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:57 pm

CScottG wrote:
-yeah, few (VERY FEW) really good deals overall. (..that Seasonic gold full modular power supply with rebate was really good.)

What was really skanky going through Newegg's listings for Black Friday and Cyber Monday was the laptop section.

Not only were most of them not "deals" :roll: , but more than half the listings were REFURBISHED :evil: : not just used, but previously BROKEN - and potentially more likely to break again (or at least that's been my experience with that "market").

Of course set the option for New only (which isn't default), and any sense of a really good deal dry's-up *real* fast.

I only bought a refurb anything from Newegg one time several years ago, and it was a disaster. It was a "manufacturer refurbished" Xbox 360. The first one I got was DOA. Sent it back and got another that worked for about 15 minutes before developing RROD. Fortunately its manufacture date was recent enough that Microsoft fixed it for free. So never again. I'm equally wary of Amazon "Warehouse" deals, which I think are just RMA'd items that someone else bought and returned for who knows why.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:58 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

Oh wow, was not aware they had such deals! Too many Lego in the house already, but sounds like a great deal.

You can never have too many Legos!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:59 pm

In the past 4 years or so that I've religiously browsed newegg prices on black Friday and cyber Monday, black Friday has by far seen better pricing. Cyber Monday on newegg has always been a let down. (It is, after all, basically an Amazon.com "holiday").
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:03 am

Cyber Monday deals have (almost) universally been not as good as the Black Friday promos, it's just how the scheme has always worked.Sure there are exceptions, but they are going to be few and far between.

The way Black Friday has been going, my advice is to start the week before and watch things like a hawk. A lot of the best deals for things like HDDs were available up to a week in advance. A lot of promos kick in before or at the start of Thursday, and by 1am Friday you should already be done with most of the shopping list. Physical stores had some decent Black Friday promos, but even then I noticed places like JC Penny's opened at 2pm on Thursday. The line was gone inside 30 minutes.

dashbarron
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:32 am

Kougar wrote:
Cyber Monday deals have (almost) universally been not as good as the Black Friday promos, it's just how the scheme has always worked.Sure there are exceptions, but they are going to be few and far between.

The way Black Friday has been going, my advice is to start the week before and watch things like a hawk. A lot of the best deals for things like HDDs were available up to a week in advance. A lot of promos kick in before or at the start of Thursday, and by 1am Friday you should already be done with most of the shopping list. Physical stores had some decent Black Friday promos, but even then I noticed places like JC Penny's opened at 2pm on Thursday. The line was gone inside 30 minutes.

Probably region specific, but a few people I know went out shopping 10pm-7am and do it every year about the same time frame. There was one store they had to wait 15 minutes to checkout, but otherwise the stores were less busy than on a regular weekend and they were able to get in/get out with ease. It was the first year this happened.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:53 am

tanker27 wrote:
Hawkwing74 wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

That's what I was going to reply with.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:54 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

It's been years, but stepping on one at 3AM in the dark belies that statement.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

llisandro
Gerbil

Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:19 am

Captain Ned wrote:

sure, but to be fair, you only had one too many!

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:43 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

I got hobbitses feet. :P
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:15 pm

Since I do the deals and guides all the time, I feel like I have a little authority on the matter.

Basically your general impressions are true. I did find many deals since BF/CM promotions are generally going to affect far more items than on any other day. However, I think that the days of insane deals are long gone. You'd be forgiven for thinking there would be like twenty 50% discounts on monitors, and maybe motherboards half-off, or something equally crazy, but that's all in the past. It doesn't seem restricted to computing gear either.

I'll even anecdotally point out that Amazon UK and DE, from where I shop a lot, also didn't have much that was all that impressive. I remember seeing a cheap LG 4K monitor, Crucial MX300s, then some peripherals that aren't all that expensive to begin with. Contrast this with 3 years ago when I saw and bought a TON of stuff at stupid discounts from there.

I figure that BF and CM are simply hot enough shopping days that shops don't even need to bother doing big discounts anymore. The cash will roll in anyway. Wasn't it Amazon that made some stupid-high amount of cash thanks to BF alone?
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:21 pm

The only thing that jumped out to me as a crazy good deal was Amazon's offering of their integrated 4K Fire TV by Element. $399 shipped for a 55" 4K smart TV with FireTV integration? It's a steal, even if it's not the best panel you can buy in terms of features and integration. The 50" version was $299.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

dashbarron
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:18 pm

morphine wrote:
Since I do the deals and guides all the time, I feel like I have a little authority on the matter.

Basically your general impressions are true. I did find many deals since BF/CM promotions are generally going to affect far more items than on any other day. However, I think that the days of insane deals are long gone. You'd be forgiven for thinking there would be like twenty 50% discounts on monitors, and maybe motherboards half-off, or something equally crazy, but that's all in the past. It doesn't seem restricted to computing gear either.

I'll even anecdotally point out that Amazon UK and DE, from where I shop a lot, also didn't have much that was all that impressive. I remember seeing a cheap LG 4K monitor, Crucial MX300s, then some peripherals that aren't all that expensive to begin with. Contrast this with 3 years ago when I saw and bought a TON of stuff at stupid discounts from there.

I figure that BF and CM are simply hot enough shopping days that shops don't even need to bother doing big discounts anymore. The cash will roll in anyway. Wasn't it Amazon that made some stupid-high amount of cash thanks to BF alone?

Thanks for the input.

gmskking
Gerbil

Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:36 pm

I agree. Black Friday and Cyber Monday have been a joke for many years. I do not even look at the ads anymore because I know it is all junk. And if I wanted something I would have already bought it.
Main: Core i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz | Samsung 850 Evo | 16GB DDR3 | Antec P110 Luce | Windows 10
Other: Core i5 2500K | Toshiba TR200 240GB | 8GB DDR3 | Windows 10
Gaming: Xbox One X

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:17 pm

Black Friday and Cyber Monday will both continue to peter off over time until they both end. Pricing is too competitive on a continuous basis now. The war for starting sales earlier is right in line supporting how they'll eventually fail too. They'll slowly keep trying to spread Black Friday sales over a longer time until it just blends in with everything else.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:23 pm

From what I've seen recently, Black Friday is more the first day of christmas season pricing, but the deals aren't >20% off nor are they limited time.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:27 pm

Yeah, Black Friday has always been the unofficial start of the holiday buying season, but now with everyone trying to stretch it out for weeks it's really just like any other sale. Of course a lot of people still don't treat it that way. I've been on the backend of an ecommerce site during Black Friday, and it's not really what I'd call a good time. The bean counters love it because even a small site can bring in as much as most of their employees make in a year during a single day, but it's quite a grind for the people who are actually on the front lines.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.