Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

 
CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 1115
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:53 pm

Parents had their Paypal account hacked..

Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:03 pm

To the best of my knowledge, this was a straight-up Paypal hack.. the information was not phished from elsewhere to hack their specific account.

..only a few purchases from Gamestop showed up (from an unused debit card specifically entered for Paypal sales), and one trying to use a credit card (and info.) as collateral for a Lending-tree loan (..Mortgage specifically).

Fortunately Paypal was reasonably quick to respond, and refunded the Gamestop purchases. My parents have gone through the process of cancelling cards and getting things straight with Lending-tree. Annoying for them (particularly during the holiday season), but nothing terrible.


BUT,

IF you've got a Paypal account, you might want to think about changing passwords and credit cards. Because I'm guessing it's a breech worthy of *multiple* account holders - with that information being sold. (..because I'm doubting the same person purchasing the games from Gamestop was trying to purchase a home.) :lol:
 
Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4467
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:21 pm
Location: Denham Springs, LA

Re: Parents had their Paypal account hacked..

Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:40 pm

I love how dumb criminals can be. Trying to get a mortgage with stolen info. I'm sure it'll end well. :wink:
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.
 
Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1776
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:32 pm
Location: Paragon City, RI

Re: Parents had their Paypal account hacked..

Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:59 pm

I guess it's time to change passwords, although I'm using 2-factor for Paypal so hopefully that should help.
 
Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Posts: 27185
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Parents had their Paypal account hacked..

Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:53 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
I guess it's time to change passwords, although I'm using 2-factor for Paypal so hopefully that should help.

If your 2-factor is a passcode automatically sent via SMS to a cellphone of record, please be advised that the US Gov't no longer considers this as true multi-factor authentication.

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/ ... _long.html

[/Day job]
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
 
Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4467
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:21 pm
Location: Denham Springs, LA

Re: Parents had their Paypal account hacked..

Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:31 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:
I guess it's time to change passwords, although I'm using 2-factor for Paypal so hopefully that should help.

If your 2-factor is a passcode automatically sent via SMS to a cellphone of record, please be advised that the US Gov't no longer considers this as true multi-factor authentication.

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/ ... _long.html

[/Day job]


Does that allow for steam style app based verification?
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.
 
NovusBogus
Silver subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1278
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:37 am

Re: Parents had their Paypal account hacked..

Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:02 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
I love how dumb criminals can be. Trying to get a mortgage with stolen info. I'm sure it'll end well. :wink:

Admittedly, if something like that showed up on an account statement my first call would not be to the CC's fraud department...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: notfred, Usacomp2k3 and 4 guests