Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Basting meat with molasses in slow cooker?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:36 am

A few weeks ago or so I'm came up with a thought of basting Corn Beef brisket with molasses in a slow cooker with carrots and potatoes. Anyone here ever tried using molasses in a basting sauce for meat before? How did it come out? And I found this site:
https://whatagirleats.com/blackstrap-molasses-brisket/
I don't know if if I'll try that recipe out, but I would add onions.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 51370
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Basting meat with molasses in slow cooker?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:21 am

It'll be like brown sugar, but more intense. Seems like it would work to me, but I'd me more inclined to use it on pork (which tends to work better with sweet sauces IMO). Careful not to overdo it.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
llisandro
Gerbil
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:30 pm

Re: Basting meat with molasses in slow cooker?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:48 am

Cool! I've never heard of blackstrap molasses, but it sorta sounded more like black treacle than regular molasses. A quick googlin' says blackstrap is less sweet, maybe even a little bitter, compared to black treacle? I'd say give it a shot! Black treacle is the not-so-secret ingredient in my wife's chocolate-based baking and there's no comparison to "regular" molasses, IMO.
Some of the reviews on amazon say it tastes "medicinal" so maybe go easy first time around, but this recipe also has coffee to cut the sweet as well. Interested to hear how it goes!
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Basting meat with molasses in slow cooker?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:09 am

Personally I would just use a few shots of dark rum with some spices added to it, but thanks to HUD I can't have booze in my apartment. So that is why I thought of using molasses.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 51370
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Basting meat with molasses in slow cooker?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:18 am

I thought alcohol was only an issue for HUD housing if it was abused? Or is there a "zero tolerance" policy in effect at some facilities?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Basting meat with molasses in slow cooker?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:23 am

just brew it! wrote:
I thought alcohol was only an issue for HUD housing if it was abused? Or is there a "zero tolerance" policy in effect at some facilities?

Well in addition to housing those with mental illnesses, it is also a treatment center for those with alcohol and drug problems. So hence the rules.
 
paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Posts: 6242
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:14 am
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Basting meat with molasses in slow cooker?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:25 am

Under some circumstances they can, and PHA's have pretty broad latitude. There's a lot of HUD programs and I'd have to know which one whm is on; sounds like one of their programs with a substance abuse focus? Those ones aren't particularly active in my area so I don't have working experince with them.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
 
Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 799
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Boston area, MA

Re: Basting meat with molasses in slow cooker?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:52 am

I think you'd want to proceed cautiously on your first go basting meat - blackstrap is extremely strongly flavored, and I'd think its viscosity would make it hard to apply evenly. Maybe dilute it a bit, say with cider?

llisandro wrote:
Cool! I've never heard of blackstrap molasses, but it sorta sounded more like black treacle than regular molasses. A quick googlin' says blackstrap is less sweet, maybe even a little bitter, compared to black treacle? I'd say give it a shot! Black treacle is the not-so-secret ingredient in my wife's chocolate-based baking and there's no comparison to "regular" molasses, IMO.
Some of the reviews on amazon say it tastes "medicinal" so maybe go easy first time around, but this recipe also has coffee to cut the sweet as well. Interested to hear how it goes!

Blackstrap molasses is powerfully sweet, while also having strong notes of bitterness and a mineral flavor - it has appreciably high levels of iron, calcium, and a number of other metals, as well as vitamins. It was/is regularly consumed straight, by the spoonful, as a vitamin dose for that reason. Personally, I can't take it straight, it's just too strong. It makes for wonderful molasses cookies, though.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Basting meat with molasses in slow cooker?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:59 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
I think you'd want to proceed cautiously on your first go basting meat - blackstrap is extremely strongly flavored, and I'd think its viscosity would make it hard to apply evenly. Maybe dilute it a bit, say with cider?

llisandro wrote:
Cool! I've never heard of blackstrap molasses, but it sorta sounded more like black treacle than regular molasses. A quick googlin' says blackstrap is less sweet, maybe even a little bitter, compared to black treacle? I'd say give it a shot! Black treacle is the not-so-secret ingredient in my wife's chocolate-based baking and there's no comparison to "regular" molasses, IMO.
Some of the reviews on amazon say it tastes "medicinal" so maybe go easy first time around, but this recipe also has coffee to cut the sweet as well. Interested to hear how it goes!

Blackstrap molasses is powerfully sweet, while also having strong notes of bitterness and a mineral flavor - it has appreciably high levels of iron, calcium, and a number of other metals, as well as vitamins. It was/is regularly consumed straight, by the spoonful, as a vitamin dose for that reason. Personally, I can't take it straight, it's just too strong. It makes for wonderful molasses cookies, though.

Like I said I rather use dark rum instead. But that is the rules where I live so....
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Basting meat with molasses in slow cooker?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:37 am

I wonder if I could get permission to have a small bottle of dark rum for cooking purposes in my apartment? Probably not, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Anyway if I get permission and use a half a cup(4oz) mixed with other stuff, and cook the meat and veggies for 12 hours, how much alcohol is left after slow cooking? I'm not looking to get drunk here.
 
chuckula
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1844
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:18 pm
Location: Probably where I don't belong.

Re: Basting meat with molasses in slow cooker?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:44 am

whm1974 wrote:
I wonder if I could get permission to have a small bottle of dark rum for cooking purposes in my apartment? Probably not, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Anyway if I get permission and use a half a cup(4oz) mixed with other stuff, and cook the meat and veggies for 12 hours, how much alcohol is left after slow cooking? I'm not looking to get drunk here.


Don't use alcohol in slow cookers. It doesn't evaporate like when it is used in a skillet over high heat so your food will just end up tasting like alcohol.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-1080 sold and back to hipster IGP!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Basting meat with molasses in slow cooker?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:01 pm

chuckula wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
I wonder if I could get permission to have a small bottle of dark rum for cooking purposes in my apartment? Probably not, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Anyway if I get permission and use a half a cup(4oz) mixed with other stuff, and cook the meat and veggies for 12 hours, how much alcohol is left after slow cooking? I'm not looking to get drunk here.


Don't use alcohol in slow cookers. It doesn't evaporate like when it is used in a skillet over high heat so your food will just end up tasting like alcohol.

OK never mind then. Thanks

I've looked at several recipes, and they all use a 1/4 cup of molasses, so I will start with that mixed with other stuff like toasted sesame oil and Worcestershire sauce, some malt vinegar, and a few spices?
 
Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1776
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:32 pm
Location: Paragon City, RI

Re: Basting meat with molasses in slow cooker?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:06 pm

whm1974, blackstrap doesn't taste the same as regular molasses, and not all brands (or batches) are alike since it's essentially the barrel scrapings from making the regular stuff.

I'd definitely taste whatever you buy before you cook with it.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Basting meat with molasses in slow cooker?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:07 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
whm1974, blackstrap doesn't taste the same as regular molasses, and not all brands (or batches) are alike since it's essentially the barrel scrapings from making the regular stuff.

I'd definitely taste whatever you buy before you cook with it.

Good idea, I'll try that.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 51370
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Basting meat with molasses in slow cooker?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:21 pm

whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
I thought alcohol was only an issue for HUD housing if it was abused? Or is there a "zero tolerance" policy in effect at some facilities?

Well in addition to housing those with mental illnesses, it is also a treatment center for those with alcohol and drug problems. So hence the rules.

Ahh, that makes sense then.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Posts: 9136
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Basting meat with molasses in slow cooker?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:24 pm

Redocbew wrote:
+1 Whm thread
+1 oddball widget
+1 question asked "is this just me?"


Can't get any better than this quote.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: notfred and 4 guests