Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Re: Active Safety in Cars: What's good?

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:45 pm

notfred wrote:
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

I'll shoulder check on a multi-lane highway for the one 2 lanes over merging at the same time as me, but if it is just 2 lanes then the mirrors are enough.
This is exactly what I mean by properly adjusted mirrors. Didn't realize it was from the SAE.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:37 pm

My issue with most of the discussion of age is the lack of evidence of effectiveness. I've met people 60+ who are bad at driving, and other 60+ people that can handle a B class bucket truck more precisely than I can my compact. I've also met people under 30 who under no circumstance would I drive with again. Policy needs to be evidence based; evidence and proposed policy need to undergo a peer review process and then a public comment/debate process to ensure that policy is based on actual prioritized results and does not have unintended consequences not worth the price of implementation.

That said, I doubt it will be hard, in 20 years, for automated cars to out-compete the median driver. I also doubt that automation will be able to beat the 6th sigma driver, but that doesn't matter to policy.

moriz
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:46 am

the "eyesight" system in my '17 subaru outback is pretty decent. it's no tesla autopilot, but for what it does do, it does very well.

- auto braking works as advertised. if the car in front of you suddenly stops/slows, and the system detects that you've not braked within a certain timeframe, it'll slam on the brakes for you
- adaptive cruise flawlessly matches speed with the car in front of you, and is capable of completely stopping your car if needed
- lane departure warning... works
- lane keep assist is pretty terrible. it's not capable of following the curve of the road; it only abruptly nudges you back into your lane if it detects that you're about to drift out of it. it WILL NOT keep you in your lane during a turn, since it cannot apply enough force to turn fast enough

also, the "eyesight" system works off of binocular cameras mounted near your rearview mirror. this means that i won't get obscured by mud/dust/snow from the road, but if your window is sufficiently blocked, it'll stop working.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:17 am

Waco wrote:
End User wrote:
Manual transmission
NA engine

I agreed on the former, but turbos are fun. :P
Also agree on the former. Superchargers are more fun than NA because you get all that grunt right off the line without having to wind it up.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:12 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
Also agree on the former. Superchargers are more fun than NA because you get all that grunt right off the line without having to wind it up.

Sure, but turbos are infinitely easier to tune and/or increase boost. Supercharger pulleys are a pain in the ass compared to a little solenoid between the wastegate and manifold. :)
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:05 am

Waco wrote:
Mr Bill wrote:

Sure, but turbos are infinitely easier to tune and/or increase boost. Supercharger pulleys are a pain in the ass compared to a little solenoid between the wastegate and manifold. :)

Big displacement NA all the way! I'm having a hell of a time in my 2018 2SS 1LE - and that is while it's limited to the 4000 rpm break in limit.

NA: Cheaper, simple to maintain, no lag, and lighter on the front end.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:08 am

My new car has audible traffic warnings on by default. Useful for when I am travelling but fracking annoying when I'm in my home town.

Backup camera is useful but I still turn my head to look back and to the sides.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:44 pm

End User wrote:
Big displacement NA all the way! I'm having a hell of a time in my 2018 2SS 1LE - and that is while it's limited to the 4000 rpm break in limit.

NA: Cheaper, simple to maintain, no lag, and lighter on the front end.

Big displacement is absolutely fun, but turbos are a hoot. :)
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun May 13, 2018 6:20 pm

Landed on a 2018 Accord Hybrid EX. It's got lane-centering LDW/LKAS above 45mph, full speed ACC, BSM/RCTA (but no parking sensors), and 212HP/232 torques.

Drives great. The tech is well-tuned to be assistive without holding your hand to the point of inattention (it'll let you know if it thinks you're distracted/drowsy). LDW is best as a quiet visual with steering wheel feedback instead of annoying beeps. Really love the full-speed ACC, efficiency, and having 212HP on tap. Sign recognition is a gimmick since it only reads speed limits, but whatever. I love the car!