Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Re: TR BBQ XV 6/23/18 - Official Thread

Wed May 23, 2018 6:34 am

I think his grammar skills have waned since his departure ;P

My friend from last year that was unable to make it is planning on tagging along this year.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu May 24, 2018 3:45 pm

I'll be driving by 2 weeks ahead of the bbq! Sucks, but maybe next year since I'll be closer than Nova Scotia!

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu May 24, 2018 4:59 pm

Is anyone showing up Friday welcome to crash on a couch or pitch a tent Friday night? I might try to come Friday afternoon this year instead of driving morning of.

What's the level of interest in doing the PC parts swap-o-rama again this year?

@Captain Ned, @thegleek, and any other craft beer fans -- bottle share/swap again this year?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu May 24, 2018 5:35 pm

I'll be pulling in Friday afternoon as always, so will head over from the hotel to see what's about.

I will bring more VT brews, as the new entrants just keep on coming. Simply impossible to taste them all (at least in full can size) without becoming a Hogarth etching.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu May 24, 2018 5:43 pm

@Starfalcon - Any interest in some Slot A hardware for your collection?

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Thu May 24, 2018 6:48 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Is anyone showing up Friday welcome to crash on a couch or pitch a tent Friday night?

Ditto. I'm still working through the route and deciding how much torture I feel like putting my sport bike friend through in one day but I'm thinking I might make it there by Friday night. I'm still deciding on a tent to buy.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu May 24, 2018 7:10 pm

Yeah, folks are welcome on Friday night, it'll just be the same informal event as normal.

BTW, the count on the bedrooms in the front cottage is as follows. There are three rooms with twin beds and one room with bunk beds. All of them are upstairs. zgirl gets one on Friday for sure. The Frobozzes have one booked for Saturday night. I think that's all I've committed so far, but let me know if I'm forgetting something. The bunk house and the three beds in there are still unknown, I don't know if new mattresses have been acquired for it.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu May 24, 2018 7:20 pm

drfish wrote:
Yeah, folks are welcome on Friday night, it'll just be the same informal event as normal.

I figured that was probably the case, but not having been there on Friday before thought I'd better get it clarified. I can sleep pretty much anywhere, so as long as I've got somewhere to pitch a small tent or unroll a sleeping bag I'm good.

drfish wrote:
BTW, the count on the bedrooms in the front cottage is as follows. There are three rooms with twin beds and one room with bunk beds. All of them are upstairs. zgirl gets one on Friday for sure. The Frobozzes have one booked for Saturday night. I think that's all I've committed so far, but let me know if I'm forgetting something. The bunk house and the three beds in there are still unknown, I don't know if new mattresses have been acquired for it.

I don't think I've ever even been upstairs! :lol:

Bunk house, couch/floor in the family room (or whatever you call the room that opens up onto the yard), or a tent on the lawn is fine with me. Unless it's pouring rain, in which case the tent is somewhat less attractive...

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu May 24, 2018 7:24 pm

just brew it! wrote:

I don't think any of us outside of Dr. Fish and family have ever set foot in the front cottage, which is our ground zero this year.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu May 24, 2018 7:28 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I don't think any of us outside of Dr. Fish and family have ever set foot in the front cottage, which is our ground zero this year.

Oh, right. I'd forgotten that detail!

Dibs on the hammock if the weather doesn't suck! :lol:

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Thu May 24, 2018 9:15 pm

I've been tossing around putting this out there and I think my wife would rather I say something than not.

Last year I was told by someone who knows more about medicine than me that I can't have gluten any more. For the food, maybe people can label allergens for those that make stuff? I know there was one peanut person last year. It's a small thing that makes a big difference to gerbils like me.

For those bringing some beverages to share from lands far away from the Midwest I have a special request. If you happen to come across a local gluten free brewery please let me know. Shortly after the last event my body decided to kick my immune system in over drive when I drink the real stuff (celiac, so gluten removed isn't an option). Gluten Burg and Burning Brothers is all I've known for the last year so other brews to experiment with would be amazing if any others have a local option for me to try. I'm happy to pay you back for it.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu May 24, 2018 11:02 pm

Do you like hard cider? Many of the commercial ones are too sweet for my tastes, but there are some drier ones out there.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Fri May 25, 2018 7:03 am

I'm with you that most ciders are way too sweet. I've had a local brand that was pretty good from Sweetland Orchard. Most don't like it because it's not the spiked apple juice that most have come to expect. They make some good stuff, just hard to find. What's amazing about cider, especially that brand, is just how different it can be.

You've inspired me, JBI. I think I'm going to try and get some this weekend. It'll be a hot one and some Scrumpy sounds quite refreshing.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri May 25, 2018 8:15 am

DragonDaddyBear wrote:
I'm with you that most ciders are way too sweet. I've had a local brand that was pretty good from Sweetland Orchard. Most don't like it because it's not the spiked apple juice that most have come to expect. They make some good stuff, just hard to find. What's amazing about cider, especially that brand, is just how different it can be.

You've inspired me, JBI. I think I'm going to try and get some this weekend. It'll be a hot one and some Scrumpy sounds quite refreshing.

You can also make a reasonably decent dry cider at home from Costco apple juice and a pack of wine yeast. The risk with homemade hard cider typically isn't that it'll be too sweet, but that it'll be bone dry, since most of the sugar in apple juice is simple sugar (glucose and fructose), which yeast just love to chow down on. If dry's your thing it may be worth considering.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Fri May 25, 2018 8:57 am

I actually did that once many years ago. It was OK. The thing with the local company is that they have all kinds of cool ciders from different apples. It's much better than buying a gallon of juice from Costco and making my own with a kit.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Fri May 25, 2018 11:36 am

drfish wrote:

if wife is coming with, we'd def like a room in the front cottage... if it's all booked up, we'd settle for the bunk house... either way we're coming with no tent or hotel bookings, so if all housing fails, maybe a couch or we'll sleep sadly in our van.... see what you can do dr fish! thanks!

just brew it! wrote:
@Captain Ned, @thegleek, and any other craft beer fans -- bottle share/swap again this year?

beer! yum! i'm slowly giving up this greatest hobby known to man, but i'll end up bringing a ton of rare beers from around the country for all to enjoy... i'll partake in it too, just not much.

and the pc-trade ghetto garage sale is always a must!

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Fri May 25, 2018 11:47 am

thegleek wrote:
...we'll sleep sadly in our van...

It's a lake but I suppose it's close enough for this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2VIEY9-A8

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri May 25, 2018 12:38 pm

Got you covered, gleek. You guys want the bunk beds? ;)

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun May 27, 2018 8:45 pm

just brew it! wrote:
@Starfalcon - Any interest in some Slot A hardware for your collection?

Sure never say no to any old hardware.

Ill pretty much crash any bed, couch, or floor you got drfish.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:28 am

I just planned the trip this weekend with my friend. We'll be there Saturday night only. Do you have beds still available? Anywhere is fine, we're not picky. If no rooms/beds are available we'll have a tent.

Side note, any comments on the ferry from Manitowoc to Ludington? It's slower than the one from Milwaukee but the time works better for us.

Edit, ajaddict is traveling with me. It's his first BBQ.
Last edited by DragonDaddyBear on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:55 am

You should be good, you'll be the last room. I'm confirming whether or not the mattresses for the bunk house have been located or replaced. That would mean an extra three beds before we need to start planning on tents and couches. Tents/sleeping bags are always a good backup plan, though.

Also, shortly, I'll be updating the first post with "the list" of things we need people to bring.

Oh, and if you haven't done so already, double check the list of attendees and make sure I have you in the right group.

Mr. Robot
Gerbil

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:29 am

I am confirmed at this point and happy to bring anything you are in need of.

Otherwise, I suppose I will default to bringing Sprecher soda since those have been popular with the booze and non-booze drinkers alike the last few years.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:41 am

Excellent!

One thing I forgot to ask the Sunday morning cleanup crew, my mom would like to get your opinion on what she should cook up for breakfast? :D

finkka
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:59 pm

Did I already post that Finkka and at least a part of my crew will be coming?

-Finkka

ajaddict83
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:55 pm

I will be attending

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:02 am

drfish wrote:
Excellent!

One thing I forgot to ask the Sunday morning cleanup crew, my mom would like to get your opinion on what she should cook up for breakfast? :D

Whatever that baked thing was that had the cinnamon with the maple syrup was amazing.
Eggs and bacon are always a home run too 8)

Gleek: "MEXICAN BREAKFAST" lolololol :lol: (um...NO)

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:34 am

Myself, +1, +2 Shelties and a WHOOOOOOOLE lotta meat. Fish thank you for the back room I will be there Friday and Saturday night as usual.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:42 pm

Oh thank goodness, I was getting nervous I hadn't heard from you in awhile. ;) It's the front cottage this time so all the rooms are upstairs and the kitchen is a little different, but comparable. Stacy's family will be staying there the week before the BBQ so we'll put it through its paces and address any shortcomings before you arrive.

BTW, I got confirmation that the family is hiring someone to build steps down to the beach where there is currently a big drop off. That's double-good because it saves me time and will definitely be better than the rope ladder hack-job I was planning.

Victorious Secret
Gerbil

Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:24 pm

drfish wrote:
Excellent!

Anything she would like to make. No matter what, it's very much appreciated. I know last year, she was happy trying some new things....like the cinnamon roll casserole thing. I'm up for trying new things or, just eggs and toast is fine. :-)

Please put us (Frobozz_Inc) down for chips. I'll get a bunch of little bags so that everyone can munch on them all day.

Bomber
Gerbil XP

Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:46 pm

Put me down for water.