Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

So, are you ready to have tiny machines throughout your body?

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:39 pm

Creepy, but cool! 8)

(..and only about 50 years after being written in SciFi books for this purpose.. I think, though those were general-purpose health nano-bots.)

https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/12/res ... mors-mice/

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: So, are you ready to have tiny machines throughout your body?

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:47 pm

I've been reading sci-fi for about 45 years now and the vast majority of it has been warnings to me saying "don't do that". I know it's coming and that the species will someday "transmigrate" with bio-computing extensions; I just won't be one of them.

Won't ever hop on a transporter (should certain physical laws be abrogated) either. I don't care what designer colors may be available, my lawn will be green and free from intruders.

"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind" is a good starting point.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:48 pm

Yeah, pretty nifty stuff. I wonder though how quick the initial diagnosis needs to be before this kind of treatment would be effective. Having a chunk of dead, necrotic tissue inside you often has the same bad results.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:25 pm

Bring it on dude. I'll be a guinea pig. I'm mostly speaking more broadly than this particular article, but it's still cool too.

(A lot of this comes from the fact that my eyes are total crap and the problem can't be solved by "conventional" means. Therefore, I can at least feel a semblance of what someone with much larger issues might feel with a far more serious disability or disease.)
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:37 pm

-yeah I might as well, but I'd have to be in pretty bad shape to be a "beta tester". :lol:

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:37 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Yeah, pretty nifty stuff. I wonder though how quick the initial diagnosis needs to be before this kind of treatment would be effective. Having a chunk of dead, necrotic tissue inside you often has the same bad results.

Eh? The body processes countless cell deaths every day. The "chunk of dead, necrotic tissue" scenario typically occurs after a bacterial invasion that overwhelms the body's ability to clean house.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:42 pm

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:56 pm

just brew it! wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sp2bJg_wqI

Whereas I think of the sci-fi of Vernor Vinge, Charles Stross, and Alastair Reynolds.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:56 pm

And then you have a different take that I saw when I was younger... still a bit to young for the Fantastic Voyage though...
But Innerspace I remember....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kQDIosuZuo

Redocbew

Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:05 pm

ludi wrote:
Eh? The body processes countless cell deaths every day. The "chunk of dead, necrotic tissue" scenario typically occurs after a bacterial invasion that overwhelms the body's ability to clean house.

True, but depending on how industrious this little bio-bot is it may overwhelm the body's natural capacity. I was thinking of things like obstructed bowels which can cause a significant amount of tissue death inside the body. That's maybe not the best example since that can also let gut bacteria out on the loose, but we're basically talking about inducing gangrene here. Since this is all internal we may not be able to just ignore how the dead stuff gets expelled from the body.

I'm just speculating on how effective this kind of treatment would be on its own without some kind of conventional surgery or other treatment involved as well. It's pretty cool stuff, regardless.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:47 am

Redocbew wrote:
True, but depending on how industrious this little bio-bot is it may overwhelm the body's natural capacity. I was thinking of things like obstructed bowels which can cause a significant amount of tissue death inside the body. That's maybe not the best example since that can also let gut bacteria out on the loose, but we're basically talking about inducing gangrene here. Since this is all internal we may not be able to just ignore how the dead stuff gets expelled from the body.

The way I read it, the quantity of nanobots released would be controlled proportionate to the amount of damage that needed to be done, similar to any other drug delivery. The result was to halt the progress of the tumor or shrink it, rather than kill it all at once. Seems like that compares favorably to targeted radiation or ultrasound therapy with higher precision and fewer side effects.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Redocbew

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:57 am

Yeah, after I posted that I was thinking there'd probably be a way to control how quickly the bots go about their business. I was also thinking that instead of being used as an alternative to radiation maybe the best use for the bots is to set them loose on a search and destroy mission for anything which may not be detectable by conventional means. Being told "You're in the clear. Come back in six months just in case." is great, but you still have to come back in six months. :P

ptsant
Gerbil XP

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:00 am

The CAR T-cell treatment that has been approved by the FDA against cancer (leukemia) actually consists of engineered donor cells. You take them out, manipulate them and put them back in. This avoids all types of nasty reactions. Very dangerous but also very impressive.

Kougar

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:42 pm

Oh, so this isn't actual mechanical robots, just manipulated organic molecules.

This above treatment sounds positively benign by comparison to CAR T-cell treatments. As Pstant says, given the CAR T cell treatment is actual genetic engineering of donor cells, and has very serious side effects because these genetically engineered cells replicate once in your body. These organic molecular machines don't self-replicate, for starters which makes it world's safer...

End User

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:49 pm

If I could transplant my brain into a cybernetic body I would.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:53 pm

End User wrote:

Death is the most important part of the human experience.

End User

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:59 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
End User wrote:

Bollocks. I’ve not had a white picket fence life. I don’t have anything to hold on to. I want to see the stars.

End User

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:02 pm

I want to be Daneel.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:08 pm

End User wrote:
I want to be Daneel.

I read into that that you care less about life extension than you do about forcing humanity down your chosen path.

Don't debate Asimov with me unless you're really ready.

End User

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:13 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
End User wrote:
I want to be Daneel.

I read into that that you care less about life extension than you do about forcing humanity down your chosen path.

Don't debate Asimov with me unless you're really ready.

Debate you?!? WTF? I need someone/thing to create a digital frontier to reshape the human condition.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:17 pm

End User wrote:
I need someone/thing to create a digital frontier to reshape the human condition.

And the track record of those wanting to "reshape the human condition" is??? I've read all of those novels and it never ends well for those who desire to remain 100% unenhanced human.

You say "reshape", I hear "bend it to my will". Sorta comes with the gray hair.

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:24 pm

Are there side effects?
Will I get kidney stones instead of cancer?

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:24 pm

Captain Ned wrote:

No 3.5mm jacks! Lossy codecs for everyone!

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:01 pm

ludi wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

No 3.5mm jacks! Lossy codecs for everyone!

And monophonic sound, apparently.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:28 pm

Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:50 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
End User wrote:
I need someone/thing to create a digital frontier to reshape the human condition.

And the track record of those wanting to "reshape the human condition" is??? I've read all of those novels and it never ends well for those who desire to remain 100% unenhanced human.

You say "reshape", I hear "bend it to my will". Sorta comes with the gray hair.

Gattaca (great movie) - it ended well.. but it sure was hell to get there. (..cut your legs off and put them back together just to gain a couple of inches to impersonate an enhanced human.)

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:08 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
End User wrote:

..but does it need to be permanent? (..that's assuming of course that reincarnation doesn't occur.)

I tend to wonder at what point humanity will achieve the possibility of clinical immortality. Biotech is moving pretty damn fast, but I don't think it will happen for at least 200 years or so (..if it's possible, and I think it is).

Then it becomes a matter of: how do you get to that point in time?

https://youtu.be/B1JnmOyF7zE?t=27

-if we do achieve that (clinical immortality), will we be "human"? (..certainly after just a few centuries social structure will become quite different, assuming the technology gets to the "masses" - which is probably a big assumption.)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:54 am

I, for one, would never want to be part of "the load of serene bastards".

K-L-Waster
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:18 am

Captain Ned wrote:

Citation needed. How do you know it isn't over rated?

I took a quick look for first hand accounts, but so far there seems to be a remarkable lack of documentation from credible witnesses...
Main System: i7-8700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM, ASUS 6800XT, 1 TB WD_Black SN750, Corsair 550D

HTPC: I5-4460, ASUS H97M-E, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970, CRUCIAL 256GB MX100, SILVERSTONE GD09B

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:58 am

K-L-Waster wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

Citation needed. How do you know it isn't over rated?

I took a quick look for first hand accounts, but so far there seems to be a remarkable lack of documentation from credible witnesses...

Maybe he meant "universal" rather than "important". On the other hand, it probably is the single most important factor that shapes human life into what it is. After all, a construct's boundaries are a major part of defining it.