Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

NTMBK
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Star Trek Discovery [SPOILERS]

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:25 am

So now the first season is over, what did everyone make of it? I thought it was pretty uneven, but overall I liked it. It started off with lots of characters making terrible decisions, but in light of the overall season they were obviously going for an arc of redemption for Burnham.

I also thought the redesign of the classic Enterprise in the last episode was pretty well handled. It's always been hard to believe that the ship on TOS was the same one in the movies, and this redesign looks a lot closer to the movie design to my eyes (especially the secondary hull shape and nacelle mounts):

fullbodydenim
Gerbil

Re: Star Trek Discovery [SPOILERS]

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:53 am

I've just started the second half of the first season so I can't comment on it as a whole. However, I have read some initial reactions people have and some were downright brutal saying "THIS IS NOT STAR TREK" and that is one of the nicer replies.

I was disappointed when Enterprise went off the air over a decade ago after only 5 seasons. In the meantime we have had the 3 Star Trek reboot movies which I liked for the most part.

I am happy Star Trek : Discovery kept the production values of those movies for this new TV series. I like the writing and the period set once again prior to TOS is acceptable to me. I like seeing Star Fleet in a time of war as this is not something I recall seeing before in a Trek series. I like each of the officers and the actors portraying them. I like the idea of a mutineer only being allowed back on a Star Fleet vessel by an unconventional captain willing to do anything to win a war. I like the plot and the pacing of the episodes which started out fast (which is good when trying to attract a new audience) and then slowed down a bit allowing for more character development as the season went on.

My only complaints are the requirements to subscribe to the CBS All Access streaming server in order to view episodes. I much prefer to just save up and buy the entire season on Bluray than continue to shell out a monthly fee in order to maintain a subscription. I am also worried that this model may limit the popularity and longevity of the series. I signed up for a 1 week free trial which I tried to cancel before getting an additional month free. At this time I was hooked and ended up maintaining my subscription for the past 4 months. After I have watched the remainder of Season 1 I will probably cancel my subscription and purchase the seasons when they are released on a home media. I don't like the idea of paying this monthly fee and then having nothing to show for it.

NTMBK
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:04 am

fullbodydenim wrote:
My only complaints are the requirements to subscribe to the CBS All Access streaming server in order to view episodes. I much prefer to just save up and buy the entire season on Bluray than continue to shell out a monthly fee in order to maintain a subscription. I am also worried that this model may limit the popularity and longevity of the series. I signed up for a 1 week free trial which I tried to cancel before getting an additional month free. At this time I was hooked and ended up maintaining my subscription for the past 4 months. After I have watched the remainder of Season 1 I will probably cancel my subscription and purchase the seasons when they are released on a home media. I don't like the idea of paying this monthly fee and then having nothing to show for it.

Yeah, that really sucks for you Americans. :( I'm in the UK, where we get it on Netflix (which I already subscribe to).

superjawes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:05 am

NTMBK wrote:
fullbodydenim wrote:

Yeah, that really sucks for you Americans. :( I'm in the UK, where we get it on Netflix (which I already subscribe to).

Begun, the Streaming Wars have...

Sorry for crossing the fandoms!
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:00 pm

Definitely thought it was uneven as well, but after seeing how the season arc plotted out particularly with Captain Lorca... I rather liked it. A lot of the things I took issue with in earlier episodes suddenly made a lot of sense with the extra context, so with the benefit of hindsight I'd say I liked it.

As for the NCC-1701 design it looks pretty good to me. Has most of the original TOS nacelles and hull design, yet still gives a strong appearance of the "refit" class 1701-A. Looks a hell of a lot better than the stuff Abrams came up with.

Fonbu
Gerbil

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:11 pm

NTMBK wrote:
fullbodydenim wrote:

I am in Canada and had to catch the show on the Space channel :roll: . However all the other Star Trek series are on Canadian Netflix. I curious if the first season of Discovery will end up on Canadian Netflix?
-Ryzen 1700 w Noctua NH-U14S-16GB RAM-Asus Crosshair VI Hero-1080Ti-Sam960EVO 240GB-CrucialM5 480GB-WD2x4TB-EVGA750W G2-Fractal Design Define R5 Black
-Intel i5-6400 w H60-16GB RAM-Crucial MX200&M5'sRAID0 2x240GB-WD1TB-R9-290X 4GB-Oculus Rift

Krogoth
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:25 pm

NTMBK wrote:
So now the first season is over, what did everyone make of it? I thought it was pretty uneven, but overall I liked it. It started off with lots of characters making terrible decisions, but in light of the overall season they were obviously going for an arc of redemption for Burnham.

I also thought the redesign of the classic Enterprise in the last episode was pretty well handled. It's always been hard to believe that the ship on TOS was the same one in the movies, and this redesign looks a lot closer to the movie design to my eyes (especially the secondary hull shape and nacelle mounts):

Funny that you brought pictures that show the beginning and the end of the NCC-1701 (She was about to be scuttled).
Ivy Bridge i5-3570K@4.0Ghz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GiB of PC3-12800, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-600 and Fractal Refined R4 (W). Kentsfield Q6600@3Ghz, HD 4850 2x2GiB PC2-6400, Gigabyte EP45-DS4P, OCZ Modstream 700W, and PC-7B.