Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Corned beef pottage.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:25 pm

I'm thinking of trying something different with Corned Beef this year for St Patrick's Day. Namely, instead of using cabbage and potatoes, maybe use Pearled Barley, Lentils, and Brown Rice, along with some onions to make a pottage?

So how do my fellow gerbils usually prepare Corn beef brisket?

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: Corned beef pottage.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:34 pm

I don't normally prepare brisket. But if I was going to, I would probably smoke it.

Hmm, maybe I need to pick up some brisket at one of the St. Patrick's day sales; can always freeze it until the weather is more conducive to outdoor cooking.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:41 pm

I definitely prefer smoked brisket, which my dad does semi-regularly. Boiled with non-cabbage foodstuffs doesn't sound half-bad, though. I just really hate boiled cabbage, and it's a good way to ruin a brisket.

Don't tell the Irish part of my family...my grandmother came to the US from the Isle of Man as a little girl. I bet she's rolling over in her grave right now. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:44 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I don't normally prepare brisket. But if I was going to, I would probably smoke it.

Hmm, maybe I need to pick up some brisket at one of the St. Patrick's day sales; can always freeze it until the weather is more conducive to outdoor cooking.

Normally I just use a Crock Pot to fix corned beef with cabbage, potatoes, and onions. But that is a good thought to buy some extra brisket and freeze it for later use.

whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:49 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I definitely prefer smoked brisket, which my dad does semi-regularly. Boiled with non-cabbage foodstuffs doesn't sound half-bad, though. I just really hate boiled cabbage, and it's a good way to ruin a brisket.

Don't tell the Irish part of my family...my grandmother came to the US from the Isle of Man as a little girl. I bet she's rolling over in her grave right now. :lol:

Well I have a few bags of brown lentils due to the store I go to no longer has split peas, and I only brought them since they are easy and quick to cook. However the last time I fixed lentils, they were just by themselves.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:04 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

I seem to be a bit of an outlier in my immediate family, as I'm the only one who's a fan of cabbage (and turnips).

When I was a kid, we sometimes had what was (in retrospect) a weird Asian-American-Irish fusion version of corned beef and cabbage. Instead of having potatoes in it, it was served over rice. Seasoned with black pepper and soy sauce. :lol:

derFunkenstein wrote:

I was reading a while back that corned beef and cabbage isn't actually an Irish dish; in Ireland it was traditionally bacon and cabbage. Corned beef and cabbage came into being because it was easier for Irish immigrants to get corned beef than Irish-style bacon here in the US.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:38 pm

Pottage, I have always thought of it as a thick porridge with what ever you had available added to it, sometimes with meat if you have some. While stew is something like half way in thickness between it and soup.

whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:14 pm

I've been looking up recipes on using corned beef with other foodstuffs instead of cabbage. While I don't mind eating cooked cabbage, I really don't like the strong smell.

So I'm thinking:

Potatoes
Onions
Garlic
Pearled Barley
Brown Lentils
Brown Rice(maybe?)
Green Split Peas(Maybe?)
Anything else?

whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:59 pm

This thread dead already? Well I guess I'll post pics after I make this and and described how it turns out.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:05 pm

Well, corned beef with potatoes, onion, & garlic is usually called hash 'round these parts. Chop everything up to equal size and fry it all until crispy. Tastes real good with some sriracha over the top.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:07 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Well, corned beef with potatoes, onion, & garlic is usually called hash 'round these parts. Chop everything up to equal size and fry it all until crispy. Tastes real good with some sriracha over the top.

Well yes, but I'm not frying it and this will include some grains and legumes, so it isn't hash but pottage.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:22 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Well yes, but I'm not frying it and this will include some grains and legumes, so it isn't hash but pottage.

I'll bet the beans and legumes would fry up well too.

I've eaten far too many boiled dinners over my many years (Mom's were the worst) and have come to realize that it all just tastes better with some crisp and the results of the Maillard reaction. Brisket is inherently fatty (unless you pay big $$ for the flat cut) and simple boiling doesn't allow that fat to properly melt. That said, it's your dins. I'd probably keep a close eye on liquid levels if you're using dry legumes.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:28 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

I'll bet the beans and legumes would fry up well too.

I've eaten far too many boiled dinners over my many years (Mom's were the worst) and have come to realize that it all just tastes better with some crisp and the results of the Maillard reaction. Brisket is inherently fatty (unless you pay big $$ for the flat cut) and simple boiling doesn't allow that fat to properly melt. That said, it's your dins. I'd probably keep a close eye on liquid levels if you're using dry legumes.

I am wondering if I can cook the grains and legumes in the crock pot along with the meat and other stuff, or do I have to cook them separately? Or add them an hour or two before serving?

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:32 pm

whm1974 wrote:
I am wondering if I can cook the grains and legumes in the crock pot along with the meat and other stuff, or do I have to cook them separately? Or add them an hour or two before serving?

If you're cooking the brisket in the crock pot, that will take much longer than the grains/legumes. Look up how long those are supposed to take cooking on their own, then toss them into the crock pot adding 30/60 minutes or so because they won't be boiling.

If they're not done and the meat is, just put the meat on a plate and boil everything else until done, then add the meat back in along with all the juices from the plate.

whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:39 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

If you're cooking the brisket in the crock pot, that will take much longer than the grains/legumes. Look up how long those are supposed to take cooking on their own, then toss them into the crock pot adding 30/60 minutes or so because they won't be boiling.

If they're not done and the meat is, just put the meat on a plate and boil everything else until done, then add the meat back in along with all the juices from the plate.

Thanks, I will try this.