Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP

Re: Anyone eats kimchi?

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:37 pm

I might...is Kim Chi cute and single?
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:14 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Authentic kimchi has fermented fish or shrimp paste in it. That's got a pretty powerful aroma... :lol:
That it has. We have this dish (surströmming) that is basically really heavily and aged fermented herring. You need to open the can pretty much underwater in a bucket or it can easily stink up not only an apartment, but the stairwells as well. Usually kimchi doesn't come even close to it and can be eaten alone. The fish on the other hand, usually is eaten with potatoes and some stuff inside a double of hard flatbread.

Secondary usage beyond eating included putting an open jar and doing the same pranks as people using butyric acid.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:09 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Chuckaluphagus wrote:
According to the story, when they cracked the container, the hot kimchi smell instantly roiled out the door of the dorm room and out the hall, and it was so bad that one off the other girls panicked and pulled the fire alarm.

That's good kimchi.

Indeed. I like it when it is somewhat tart; sometimes when you buy it (especially if from a non-Korean grocery store) it hasn't had enough time to develop full flavor. If it just tastes like cabbage with a bunch of salt and red pepper on it, shove it to the back of the fridge and leave it for a couple of weeks or more; it gets better. :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:14 am

I just read that kimchi contains probiotics that aid in digestion, so eating it is one of the best things you can do to keep yourself healthy. I must admit, fermented vegetables sounds disgusting, and while this is the first I've heard of it in this thread and I'm curious what it tastes like, I'm not brave enough to.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:19 am

FireGryphon wrote:
I just read that kimchi contains probiotics bacteria that aid in digestion give you wicked smelling gas

FTFY!

Still worth it though. :wink:

(I chuckle every time I see the word "probiotics" used to describe a food. It's just beneficial bacteria. People get grossed out by bacteria because they think of germs and disease, but let's call a spade a spade!)

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:41 am

All right, I had just woken up and mixed my words. 'Ya got me. :wink:
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:56 am

FireGryphon wrote:
I'm curious what it tastes like, I'm not brave enough to.

Just try some!

Best I can describe it:

Its salty, spicy, sometimes with a hint of fishyness. (just like how true Caesar salad dressing is made with anchovies and has a hint of fishyness to it) It's sometimes crunchy from the cabbage. It's overall taste is umami (as the Japanese would call it).

It pares well with just about any oriental food. Soups, stir fry, on rice, etc. Or just on its own.

Just like any other recipe no two taste exactly alike and no two people make it identically, each putting their own spin to it. You may not like one but truly love another.

For starters I would suggest this brand: http://www.hmart.com/shopnow/shopnow_ne ... 0809010141
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:52 am

FireGryphon wrote:
I must admit, fermented vegetables sounds disgusting <snip> I'm not brave enough to.

I hope you don't like beer; That fermented vegetable drink is utterly disgusting!
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:32 am

Objection, m'lud! Grain != vegetable.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:02 am

bthylafh wrote:

I think the intent was the classical "animal, vegetable or mineral" classification scheme.

Wine is probably closer to kimchi on the Fermented Family Tree, since that's fermented fruit.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:08 pm

LOl, objection overruled! :D

"Vegetable" is a plant or part of a plant used as food.

If you're going to start arguing the culinary definition rather than the actual botanical definition then all bets are off because that the culinary definitions vary wildly depending on who you speak to and how badly educated they or the person they learned the wrong definition from was. The one thing that they agree on will be that they don't agree ;)

Anyway - rice, barley, wheat, potato or whatever plant decomposed to make your alcoholic beverage of choice, it's fermented plant matter!

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Wine is probably closer to kimchi on the Fermented Family Tree, since that's fermented fruit.

Actually no, Kimchi is from cabbage, which is the leaf and stem of the plant, much like barley or wheat in beer production. Wine on the other hand is from the fruit of a grapevine; we do not make wine from the vinestalks and leaves.

I'll stop sciencenerding now.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:21 pm

bthylafh wrote:

It's still fermented though.

Cheese, yogurt, wine... a lot of common foods and beverages are fermented.

And mushrooms are fungi. You're eating a close relative of mold!

Chrispy_ wrote:
LOl, objection overruled! :D

"Vegetable" is a plant or part of a plant used as food.

If you're going to start arguing the culinary definition rather than the actual botanical definition then all bets are off because that the culinary definitions vary wildly depending on who you speak to and how badly educated they or the person they learned the wrong definition from was. The one thing that they agree on will be that they don't agree ;)

Anyway - rice, barley, wheat, potato or whatever plant decomposed to make your alcoholic beverage of choice, it's fermented plant matter!

Chuckaluphagus wrote:

Actually no, Kimchi is from cabbage, which is the leaf and stem of the plant, much like barley or wheat in beer production. Wine on the other hand is from the fruit of a grapevine; we do not make wine from the vinestalks and leaves.

I'll stop sciencenerding now.

I object to your overruling of the objection!

The part of the barley plant which is used to make beer is the seed, which is much closer to being a fruit than it is to being a stem/stalk.

Edit:
tanker27 wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:
I'm curious what it tastes like, I'm not brave enough to.

Just try some!

Best I can describe it:

Its salty, spicy, sometimes with a hint of fishyness. (just like how true Caesar salad dressing is made with anchovies and has a hint of fishyness to it) It's sometimes crunchy from the cabbage. It's overall taste is umami (as the Japanese would call it).

It pares well with just about any oriental food. Soups, stir fry, on rice, etc. Or just on its own.

Just like any other recipe no two taste exactly alike and no two people make it identically, each putting their own spin to it. You may not like one but truly love another.

For starters I would suggest this brand: http://www.hmart.com/shopnow/shopnow_ne ... 0809010141

Another way to describe it would be spicy sauerkraut, with a hint of savory/fishy character.

And I second the recommendation for H-Mart's kinchi, though you probably ought to start with a smaller container than the linked 1/2 gallon size! :lol:

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Anyone else enjoys Kimchi?

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:43 am

I haven't had Kimchi in awhile and lately I've been having cravings for some. But instead of eating it straight out of the jar, this time I'm going to make various other dishes with it. Such as sausage and kimchi over rice, or maybe kimchi soup. I usually get the spicy kind.

So who else likes eating Kimchi? By itself, or with other stuff?

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Re: Anyone else enjoys Kimchi?

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:47 am

I knew this was another one of your threads :lol:

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:54 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I knew this was another one of your threads :lol:

But you haven't answered the question.

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:00 am

I'm not an expert but I've enjoyed it from time to time. In small doses though.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:11 am

That would be best you you are not used to eating it.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:16 am

Running out of new ideas for random threads, whm? You are repeating yourself.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=117413&hilit=Kimchi

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:19 am

just brew it! wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=117413&hilit=Kimchi

Sorry I forgotten about that thread. Anyway I'm looking for ways to use kimchi in other dishes beside just eating it by itself.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:38 am

Kimchi jjigae - https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kimchi-jjigae

Jjim, Bokkeum, Jorim, etc etc.

Theres also the staple, Kimchi & Spam/Bacon/Pork/Any meat really fried rice - http://momofukufor2.com/2010/03/bacon-k ... ce-recipe/

You cannot go wrong with a David Chang recipe!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:04 am

just brew it! wrote:
Fixed.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2