Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Re: spending only $100 a month on food.

Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:57 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
If you want the meaty/umami without the sodium overload, look to the low-sodium versions of Better Than Bouillon. They have excellent flavor with far less salt than a bouillon cube or ramen flavoring powder. A jar will last you months.

Thank you, I heard of it in passing, but how good is it?

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:01 pm

Just in case you guys are thinking that I'm eating a rather bland diet, I did have an egg sandwich this morning for breakfast. Still needed a little salt...

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:02 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Boy does a little salt make a really big difference in taste. I went to 7-11 and brought a salt and pepper shaker and my leftover porridge is actually tasty.... Maybe next time I'll use fresh onions and garlic, along with some salt?

Don't you live in Alaska? Maybe hunting, gathering, and fishing could reduce food costs ;)

edit or start making kim-chi, that should be inexpensive??
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:03 pm

anotherengineer wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Boy does a little salt make a really big difference in taste. I went to 7-11 and brought a salt and pepper shaker and my leftover porridge is actually tasty.... Maybe next time I'll use fresh onions and garlic, along with some salt?

Don't you live in Alaska? Maybe hunting, gathering, and fishing could reduce food costs ;)

Nope I sure don't.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:03 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Just in case you guys are thinking that I'm eating a rather bland diet, I did have an egg sandwich this morning for breakfast. Still needed a little salt...

:o

Now I'm back to thinking you might be a bot. A pet project of some MIT student maybe.

I guess we should take that as a "no" on spicy...
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:05 pm

Redocbew wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

:o

Now I'm back to thinking you might be a bot. A pet project of some MIT student maybe.

Now why do you think I could be a bot?

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:17 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
If you want the meaty/umami without the sodium overload, look to the low-sodium versions of Better Than Bouillon. They have excellent flavor with far less salt than a bouillon cube or ramen flavoring powder. A jar will last you months.

Thank you, I heard of it in passing, but how good is it?

Did you even read the whole post? He just said it has "excellent flavor".
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:20 pm

whm1974 wrote:

Because a lot of your threads feel like we are conversing with a bot.

Case in point: Ned recommends Better Than Bouillon, says it is "excellent". You respond with "how good is it?"

And all the dozens of things you've talked about doing, but never actually do. Frequently starting random threads that eventually go nowhere seems like bot-ish behavior to me.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:22 pm

That, and knowing that egg sandwiches are bland is exactly the kind of thing that's difficult to teach to a bot.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:25 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

Because a lot of your threads feel like we are conversing with a bot.

Case in point: Ned recommends Better Than Bouillon, says it is "excellent". You respond with "how good is it?"

And all the dozens of things you've talked about doing, but never actually do.

I'm a hermit with MDD. Not a bot.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:31 pm

whm1974 wrote:
I'm a hermit with MDD. Not a bot.

I don't think anyone seriously believes that you are.

But if you spent even half as much time actually pursuing something (e.g. learning software development, like you've said you wanted to do on multiple occasions) as you do starting and posting in random forum threads, you'd probably be well on your way by now.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:08 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Don;t overcook the starches. They're supposed to have texture other than mush.

This for sure. edit: that even goes for non-starchy veggies. Green beans are supposed to have some snap to them, for example.

Captain Ned wrote:

Also this.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:22 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Don;t overcook the starches. They're supposed to have texture other than mush.

This for sure. edit: that even goes for non-starchy veggies. Green beans are supposed to have some snap to them, for example.

There are a number of vegetables that I grew up thinking were very different than how they really are when properly prepared, because I only ever had them canned and/or overcooked. Asparagus, green beans, spinach, and broccoli top the list. I was either indifferent to or actively disliked all four until I learned that they don't have to be mushy and tasteless. WTF is up with canned spinach, anyway? It's like eating a puddle of pond scum.

And while they hold up better to canning than most other veggies, I was also subjected to way too many canned beets as a child. I think I avoided beets entirely from the time I moved out of my parents' house until I was in my 30s (maybe even 40s). I've come to terms with them though, and would even say I like them now. Last night I actually ordered a roasted beet salad for dinner! :lol:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:44 pm

just brew it! wrote:
WTF is up with canned spinach, anyway? It's like eating a puddle of pond scum.

Any spinach other than fresh should be illegal. Frozen just winds up the same way.

I don't like asparagus at all, regardless of how it's prepared. The closest I come to liking it is grilled in a foil pouch with a little olive oil and sea salt.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:50 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Any spinach other than fresh should be illegal. Frozen just winds up the same way.

Yeah, I like raw spinach, but it doesn't like me. If I eat a raw spinach salad, I'm spending a non-trivial chunk of the next several hours on the throne. It needs to be at least lightly blanched. Added to hot soups just before serving also works.

derFunkenstein wrote:
I don't like asparagus at all, regardless of how it's prepared. The closest I come to liking it is grilled in a foil pouch with a little olive oil and sea salt.

Roasted in the oven with a little olive oil, sea salt, and black pepper is easy and quick. You also need to make sure to trim the tough bottom section of the stem off, or peel it to get rid of the outer tough fibrous part, unless you have really slim, tender shoots. Otherwise the upper part of them will be overcooked by the time the lower part is edible.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:19 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Roasted in the oven with a little olive oil, sea salt, and black pepper is easy and quick. You also need to make sure to trim the tough bottom section of the stem off, or peel it to get rid of the outer tough fibrous part, unless you have really slim, tender shoots. Otherwise the upper part of them will be overcooked by the time the lower part is edible.

Oh for me it's not the texture. It's the flavor. Kinda tastes like farts.

Coincidentally, it treats me in much the same way that spinach treats you (even when cooked all the way to mush).

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:23 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Coincidentally, it treats me in much the same way that spinach treats you (even when cooked all the way to mush).

The last time I had either one, I ended up with a really bad case of nasty smelling farts. :o

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:39 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Ahh, gotcha.

There's a genetic component to our sense of taste; entirely possible that different people perceive its flavor differently. Cilantro is another one; some people love it, other people think it tastes like soap. Or the Saaz hops used in a lot of Czech beers -- my wife says they taste like dirt.

derFunkenstein wrote:

Well that would certainly be a disincentive! I do find that asparagus makes my urine smell really bad; this starts within a half hour or so, and lasts for about 12 hours. It's apparently a very common effect; asparagus does this to a lot of people.

whm1974 wrote:
The last time I had either one, I ended up with a really bad case of nasty smelling farts. :o

Many vegetables will cause increased levels of flatulence. The vegetable matter ferments in your gut...

Bottle-conditioned beers (especially anything with wild yeast in it, e.g. Belgian Lambic) will also tend to have this effect.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:18 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Well that would certainly be a disincentive! I do find that asparagus makes my urine smell really bad; this starts within a half hour or so, and lasts for about 12 hours. It's apparently a very common effect; asparagus does this to a lot of people.

Yeah, I figured that was a universal thing.

I always figured my body just wasn't used to it, but it hasn't ever adjusted despite really giving it a good go last summer. I recently underwent an enormous diet change (down almost 30lbs since the start of the year without really trying too hard) and maybe my body chemistry has changed a little, and maybe it wouldn't be so bad now, but I don't really want to chance the stomach cramps when there's plenty of other good food I get to eat.

Pancake
Gerbil First Class

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:04 pm

whm1974 wrote:

Describe - in single words - only the good things that come into your mind about your mother.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:30 pm

Pancake wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

Describe - in single words - only the good things that come into your mind about your mother.

LOL

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:35 pm

Pancake wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

She was a good cook.
She was also nice and charitable.
And loved me dearly.

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:59 am

whm1974 wrote:

I'm getting a little concerned with this-add more salt-add more salt.
Too much salt is bad for you-especially as you get older.
Next time you see your doctor I suggest you ask them.

To spice up a egg sarnie-
CURRIED EGG SANDWICH
Hardboil a egg-cool and dice.
add 1 tablespoon of mayo and 1/2 teaspoon curry powder.
spread on bread of choice.
ENJOY

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:51 am

whm1974 wrote:
Pancake wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

She was a good cook.
She was also nice and charitable.
And loved me dearly.

Clearly a skin job.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:00 am

I don't feel like my egg sandwiches need salt. I'm eating a half-cup of egg substitute, a handful of frozen chopped peppers and onions, and a thin slice of sharp cheddar all on some whole-grain wheat toast. And a banana. If that's bland then so be it. :lol:

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:45 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I don't feel like my egg sandwiches need salt. I'm eating a half-cup of egg substitute, a handful of frozen chopped peppers and onions, and a thin slice of sharp cheddar all on some whole-grain wheat toast. And a banana. If that's bland then so be it. :lol:

The pepper and onions keep it from being bland, and you're adding a fair amount of salt indirectly (in the cheese). Approximately 175 mg in a typical slice of cheddar.

So if you feel it needs the cheddar, then you actually do feel it needs salt. :wink:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:11 am

Hmmm...

175mg isn't too bad though.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:14 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Hmmm...

175mg isn't too bad though.

Yeah, in the grand scheme of things it's not. But I'll bet that most people don't even realize that cheese can be a non-trivial source of salt.

Kretschmer
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:47 am

DancinJack wrote:
Kretschmer wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
And yeah, a decent beer alone will set you back more than $2.50 at a bar/restaurant, unless you hit them on a night with drink specials.

I'm always flabbergasted when I can order craft beer for <$8 at a bar when traveling. New York can be a harsh mistress for beer snobs.
That reminds me, I have a Dogfish 120 Minute IPA at home that requires conquering...

It's pretty amazing the differences. I grew up (and currently reside, temporarily) in Kansas, and have lived for extended periods in Boston and Austin. Boston was the most expensive on average I would say at something like ~7-9 for a run-of-the-mill known craft beer. More for more exotic brands and brews. Austin was second place with something closer to ~5-7 for regular stuff and on up from there. Kansas though? IF you can find those craft beers at bars, they're usually like 4 bucks, sometimes 5 or 6 depending on where you are. I have had 1 dollar beers here, obviously not craft beers, but still. A dollar a beer is good for a bar.

I went on a business trip to San Antonio a few years ago and was ordering $2.50 IPAs in a restaurant.Up here, $2.50 in a restaurant will get you a...partially-filled fountain beverage?

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:29 am

whm1974 wrote:

You should make the egg with a Rollie next time. To go with your whole food-masochism thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q73WBiHXQI