Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Re: Warning about Newegg

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:00 pm

https://www.geekwire.com/2018/sales-tax ... -shopping/
I'm not sure which side of this I see it falling on. I have a feeling that the ruling will be in favor of the State to enforce the collection of sales tax by the selling party. The $100k threshold seems reasonable as that would still allow hobbyists and even full-time-but-still-small businesses to not be burdened. I'm pretty sure the Quickbooks of the world already allow for this. I would think that most eCommerce sites can add the tax collection pretty easily also.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:58 pm

NovusBogus wrote:
I've thought about moving to Alaska later in my life, when I'm closer to retirement age. I'm not exactly a people person so the farther away I am from the big mob of screaming apes and their self-immolating PoliSci overlords the happier I'll be. And given the nature of what I do for a living, it's highly likely that your logistical problems will be substantially reduced by the time I consider myself successful enough to quit acting like a peasant and stake a territorial claim somewhere.

Closer to retirement age sounds like the worst possible time to do that to me. Why would you want to move to Alaska just as you're getting to the age when your body will be less able to cope with the rigors of living in a harsh climate?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:08 pm

Yeah, that's why a lot of retiring people move to Florida and Arizona, after all.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:50 pm

Looking at the data I could easily do Anchorage year-round. The record lows aren't too far below what I'm used to here in VT and it doesn't get as hot.

Florida? I don't do humidity.
Arizona? I'd have to spend a summer at Dad's place in Bisbee (elevation 5,500') to see if "dry heat" is bearable. My sister and I will inherit the place anyways, so I should get used to it.

As for the OP, tomorrow's tea leaves will be an interesting read. My personal hope is that SCOTUS thinly affirms Quinn and dumps the whole lot back in Congress' lap with a warning of "don't bring this to us again, you won't like the result."
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

MOSFET
Gerbil XP

Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:05 pm

The is fine with me, I don't want this to become the next Washington.

You're in no danger there, Alaskan. You're over 6 million people short.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.