Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

I miss my TiVo!

Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:35 am

I've had been a TiVo user up until a few weeks ago when I closed on my house which had fiber and Cat 6e ran through it. The new neighborhood was laid with fiber from ATT so I went with uVerse.

MY EYES! oh gawd the uVerse UI is atrocious! it's a jumbled mess that I haven't quite figured out.

Things I loved about the TiVo UI that are sorely missing in the uVerse UI:

- Channel Icons/logos. Man that was such a great update to TiVo when it started providing the actual channel logos. It made finding channels easy even if I didn't remember the actual channel number.

- Indication of if the show is new. I cannot tell if a show is a re-run or new in uVerse. it doesn't say!

- Setting up a season pass. Man TiVo did a bang up job with it's algorithm of this. Sometimes it did get a little wonky with cable channels but worked flawlessly with the big four. I still cant figure out how to do this with uVerse!

- Just the overall aesthetic of the TiVo UI was pleasant, simplicity at its best. The uVerse UI is just too damn busy.

Either TiVo needs to get on the ball and offer a fiber capable device or uVerse needs to license it's UI!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: I miss my TiVo!

Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:51 am

The Xfinity UI is a mess too. My wife actually uses the voice control feature to find stuff; that seems to work reasonably well.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:30 am

Can you get a CableCard for uVerse and use that in your Tivo?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:14 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Can you get a CableCard for uVerse and use that in your Tivo?

Nope, it really is true fiber from the street to the house and in it (if you dont have fiber in the house then its over CAT) and is true IPTV. I've been researching and it seems some people have gotten a Series 2 connected to the ATT uVerse media players to work. Im a little fuzzy on how but to me this isnt even an option because TiVo doesnt sell Series 2s anymore. So ones you'd find are refurbs or NIB from third party.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:19 pm

You could connect a decent antenna to your TiVo (except the cable card only TiVo Roamio Pro) and use it for your FOtA HDTV recording. Yes, you have the aggravation of having to swap inputs, remotes, etc., but you would get the advantage of higher-quality video with less compression than you get from U-verse or XFinity.
i7-8700K, H100i v2, RoG Strix Z370-G Gaming, 16 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:54 pm

I have Verizon FiOS service and use a Tivo Roamio with Verizon's "cable card", and that works well. As you say, much better user interface than the box Verizon provided, and saves me a couple dollars a month to boot.

It'd be a shame if you're really locked out of using third-party boxes with your new service.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:59 pm

Wierd, I thought FiOS was exactly like uVerse......so FiOS isnt 100% IPTV?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

DPete27
Silver subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:21 pm

HA. I switched from ATT Uverse to Charter when I moved because Uverse wasn't available in my neighborhood yet.
Charter's TV guide is stuck in 4:3 aspect mode. Even on the brand new box I just got 3 weeks ago. You can only see 1.5 hours of programming on the screen at a time.
Charter's TV guide shows 4-5 channels per page because of all their extra on-screen stuff, IIRC Uverse was 6-8(?)
Charter only has a 2-channel tuner on their DVR box....even the brand new one. Which means you can't record 2 shows and watch a 3rd at the same time (you can watch a 3rd previously recorded show while 2 shows are recording though)
Charter box can't search for shows (when you're setting up series recordings on DVR). I've had my new box for 3 weeks and I still haven't caught Big Bang Theory to get it recording.
The list goes on....
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:33 pm

tanker27 wrote:

I'm on FIOS with a cablecard.

EDIT: Which I assume means they are still QAM? At least for the regular broadcast and not PPV/VOD/whatchamacallit or something?

EDIT2: I mean, I don't have a box or anything. The single cablecard+tuner->mythtv is the sole conduit to my "TV" service, I don't have any way to watch TV without it.

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:49 pm

tanker27 wrote:

I don't know? I went by Verizon's own statement and looked for the models on Tivo's website that they specifically described as being compatible with FiOS. It has worked perfectly for two years now.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:46 pm

Yeah it's in the admission and you'd have to know what is the difference in IPTV and QAM:

If you use a CableCard, certain Interactive Media Guide, Widget, and VOD services will not be accessible.

And I actually had to on version for this:

Currently Fios TV is a hybrid of IP and QAM video delivery

hence the CableCard and the ability to use TiVo
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

defaultluser
Gerbil

Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:31 pm

tanker27 wrote:

Nope, they started from two different technologies. FIOS started from Fiber (with more bandwidth than Cable), so they decided to go with MoCA over Coax. You can make a Cable Card that works wit this.

AT&T started with VDSL2, so they went IPTV from the beginning. They could offer a broadcast like Cable or FIOS now, but they don't.