Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

New washing machine

Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:00 pm

Mine just stopped working, and the repairman said it'll cost $700 to replace the motor. No thanks, on a 10 year old machine. Does anyone here have a recommendation for a washer? I'm looking at top-load agitator washers currently and need one at least 4.7 cf. (FYI, consumer Reports seems underwhelming in its washer reviews)...
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Re: New washing machine

Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:03 pm

One hears good things about Speed Queen, if you want reliability and repairability more than anything else. I will probably have to replace my washer in a year or two (bad bearing) but I don't think Speed Queen has a front-loader, which we prefer. Last time he was over, I asked our repair guy what brand he liked and he recommended Whirlpool.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

DrCR
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:51 pm

Speed Queen, hands down. Whirlpool as the next option, though I've no experience wit the Korean options -- which iirc just got hit with a steep tariff. Run away from Miele.

Edit: There are front loader washer options from Speed Queen, but iirc they may be more on the commercial end of the spectrum than residential.

ludi
Darth Gerbil

Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:39 am

Based on everything I've read, our next unit will be a SpeedQueen when our current GE/Kenmore/Whatever dies. If you're not already familiar with the name, the tl;dr is that they build almost every coin-op laundromat model out there, and a lot of non coin-op models for the service industry. Basic, heavy duty, and reliable. And you generally can't buy them at Sears or Home Depot, you need to go online or to an independent appliance dealer.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:43 am

Thanks for the responses. Funny that all three of you say Speed Queen. SQ is the only brand that gets a recommendation. Front loaders and HE washers get the worst rap, especially Samsung. The big ones like Whirlpool and Maytag have twice as as many people complaining about them as giving positive reviews. Then every now and then someone will pipe in with a Speed Queen recommendation. It seems as though anyone that gets one loves it.

Speed Queen top loaders have two major hurdles in my estimation. Firstly, they cost 1/3 to 1/2 more than the top rated models from Whirlpool and Maytag ($500-$600 vs. $900-$1,000), and secondly, they are smaller: 3.2 cu ft vs. 4.7+ cu ft. Can anyone here with a similarly sized washer comment on how small 3.2 cu ft really is? My current washer is 4.7 cu ft and I like the size. I'm struggling with the size issue and whether or not the price up front is worth the almost sure hassle later on...

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:39 am

Having used both front loader and top loader, i wouldn't recommend top loader to anyone. They don't do good job in washing and also increase tangling decreases clothes life. Its been 2 years i am stuck with top loader, once my budget approves i will be back to front loader.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:35 am

We've been very happy with the Maytag "commercial" unit that we bought a couple years ago when our 10 year old one died. It's a no-frills, white, all metal, top-loading, non-HE unit. What we had the hardest time finding were one's that had pre-soak and also extra-rinse.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:39 am

I just bought a new washer and Dryer for the new house. (Last set was 15+ year old Whirlpool that was still running strong.)

I got a Maytag commercial set. The washer is MVWC565FW. Its a top load with agitator. It's very quiet and I love it. It also has a deep water wash cycle which is a one off since most washers these days are HE, meaning they use just enough water to barely get the job done. Which is why I would run very far away from a front loader. Most of the time with front loaders if you have heavily soiled clothes you must pre-soak them in a sink to get the heavy stuff off first then attempt to wash them and even then that doesn't do the job! Eff front loaders. If you do go for a front loader get one with a post-wash heater or drying cycle. This will dry the seals and help keep down the moldy smell and also dry small loads.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:52 am

FireGryphon wrote:
Speed Queen top loaders have two major hurdles in my estimation. Firstly, they cost 1/3 to 1/2 more than the top rated models from Whirlpool and Maytag ($500-$600 vs. $900-$1,000), and secondly, they are smaller: 3.2 cu ft vs. 4.7+ cu ft.

Yes, they do cost more, but the smaller capacity is less of an issue than you might think. Our Speed Queen seems to have a significantly shorter cycle time than our previous washer (which was a Whirlpool IIRC), so in terms of actual throughput I'd say it is pretty close. You can probably do 3 loads in a Speed Queen in the time it would take to do 2 in a "regular" machine. I guess that makes sense given that they are designed for commercial use.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:17 am

We got a new SpeedQueen top-loader when we got the house in 2013. Love it. The cycles are definitely shorter than any washer I'd used in the past, and the capacity is fine. One load = one round basket (filled evenly, not overloaded). I was worried about the dryer keeping up when we got it, but the SpeedQueen so thoroughly spins out the water that half the work is done before the clothes hit the dryer.

So smaller cycle might mean more loads, but from what I can tell the only way it's a real detriment is if you don't keep up with laundry. Even then, it takes the same amount of time (all fsking day) to do laundry but you will be busier with shorter cycle times. Our laundry is basically on a cycle - Mondays it's this, Saturdays it's that and the other, and so on.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:48 am

tanker27 wrote:
If you do go for a front loader get one with a post-wash heater or drying cycle. This will dry the seals and help keep down the moldy smell and also dry small loads.

We just leave the front hatch open on ours (a Samsung) and it does mostly okay. Sometimes I have to run a bleach cloth around the portion of the liquid tray where the fabric softener goes, to kill mold, and rarely it also needs a cleaning cycle done with some product specially meant for HE front loaders.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Anovoca
Silver subscriber
Gerbil XP

Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:14 am

One thing worth bearing in mind about the negative reviews for modern day washing machines has to do with HE more than build quality. Meeting those efficiency standards and cleaning highly soiled clothes is almost a miracle. I bought a front load Maytag 2017 model and I love it. It was DOA but the Maytag warranty covered all repair costs and it has worked fine ever since. I also have no kids and wash mostly stain free flannel and tshirts. For me, HE is more than enough, and for half of what I wear I can get away with just the steamfresh cycle in the dryer. if you are trying to get grass stains out of all your clothes and run 3 cycles of laundry a week, HE might sound like a great thing to save you money, but expect some problems getting as good of a clean cycle as your older -waterhoggish machine, without pre-treating your stains with shout or oxiclean.

If you decide you want HE but also robust cleaning and reliability, then yes, go with a speed queen, and understand what the extra cost is paying for.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:18 am

Anovoca wrote:
HE might sound like a great thing to save you money, but expect some problems getting as good of a clean cycle as your older -waterhoggish machine, without pre-treating your stains with shout or oxiclean.

We pay like $20/month for water. the cost savings for an HE is insignificant to our budget. Having to wash things multiple times more than offsets that cost.

ludi
Darth Gerbil

Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:31 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
Speed Queen top loaders have two major hurdles in my estimation. Firstly, they cost 1/3 to 1/2 more than the top rated models from Whirlpool and Maytag ($500-$600 vs. $900-$1,000), and secondly, they are smaller: 3.2 cu ft vs. 4.7+ cu ft. Can anyone here with a similarly sized washer comment on how small 3.2 cu ft really is? My current washer is 4.7 cu ft and I like the size. I'm struggling with the size issue and whether or not the price up front is worth the almost sure hassle later on...

The trade-off is that those large capacity units are handling a much larger mass. The difference between 3.2 and 4.7 cubic feet is about 12 gallons/90 pounds of water (or equivalent in water-soaked clothing). How do they include all that extra capacity and charge $300+ less than a commercial unit? By running it slower and using cheaper, less-durable parts. And then your clothes are also in the dryer longer to compensate for the slower spin.

My folks just replaced their 10yo high-capacity washer because the entire suspension was shot, which combined with the known wear-and-tear on the drivetrain meant it wasn't worth repairing even though physically, it looked almost new.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:14 am

There's a new wrinkle (heh) that I discovered: Speed Queen's new models for 2018 are very different than the older ones and are not as desirable. SQ fans seem to like the Maytag Commercial MVWP575GW. Any thoughts on this?

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite

Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:40 am

I have a pair of Kenmore units that have been extremely reliable. I bought them 2001 when I moved back to Baton Rouge, and they are still going strong. I think they are rebadged Whirlpools or Maytags, I'm not sure. They've been awesome. I'm hoping to get several more years out of them.
I wish I had gone to med school.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:20 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whirlpool ... jor_brands

Badged for different price points....essentially the same.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!