Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

My thoughts on the Prusa I3 MK3 3d printer kit

Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:53 pm

After I scribbled my John Hancock on the little tablet, DHL was nice enough to release this to me:

I unwrapped and unpacked it last night and am quite impressed already. Unfortunately I am out of town this weekend, so it will take a bit longer for me to get it up and running than I would like.

--SS
Last edited by SecretSquirrel on Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheEmrys

Re: I got a delivery last night...

Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:07 pm

Wow, you got a.... Photocopier? What is it?
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:14 pm

Kinda has the shape of an Antminer...

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:42 pm

TheEmrys wrote:
Wow, you got a.... Photocopier? What is it?

I'll give a hint later.... :wink:

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:57 pm

toki
Gerbil XP

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:08 pm

I didn't even know NZXT made headphone holders that big :lol:

The Egg

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:27 pm

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:44 pm

The Egg wrote:

Sad thing is, I'm going to have to go search and see if that is real, or a joke.... :D

*** edit *** So it's both real and fake at the same time. Well played sir. Well played.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:23 pm

I know what it is. But that isn't really surprising...

Happy printing! Assembly and calibration is a lot easier than it was a few years ago, the low-end guys have come a long way.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:24 pm

A 3D cheese printer? I want one!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

demolition
Gerbil First Class

Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:32 am

This is just a horrible product idea. I could think of a million (okay, maybe not literally) things that I would rather be able to print stuff on..

The big question here is - will it work with actual cheese? The yellow sheets on the pic looks like the cheap stuff you can get that looks like cheese but is made with palm oil and water in place of milk fat. In this country, they are not even allowed to label that stuff as cheese any longer. :-)

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:40 am

The boxes inside the box.

Got things partially unpacked.

Started putting it together last night. Got the Y axis, which is the main frame plus the actual axis mechanics, and about half the X axis done.

--SS

End User

Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:14 am

I'm groggy from getting up at 3am to pre-order a phone. Can you put up a URL to the product page so I don't have to think too hard?

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:31 am

End User wrote:
I'm groggy from getting up at 3am to pre-order a phone. Can you put up a URL to the product page so I don't have to think too hard?

https://www.prusa3d.com/original-prusa-i3-mk3/

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:22 am

Oh man, I'll be watching this thread. That's the exact printer I've had my eye on since the beginning of the year. It's probably a bit much for my first one, but I feel like it would be the most educational and give me the best chance for a good experience. Already eat all the gummi bears?

Dposcorp

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:28 am

I was expecting something the stork delivered.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:48 am

Dposcorp wrote:

That's a much bigger box and a whole lot more of them.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:02 am

drfish wrote:
Oh man, I'll be watching this thread. That's the exact printer I've had my eye on since the beginning of the year. It's probably a bit much for my first one, but I feel like it would be the most educational and give me the best chance for a good experience. Already eat all the gummi bears?

No. Points at which to eat the gummy bears are explicitly called out in the instructions. :D

I decided it was a good compromise between cheep Chinese knock offs and the high end guys. So many of the cheep units are clones of the early Prusa designs, I figured it would be good to a) go straight to the source and b) reward the guys who did the hard work. I've been looking at getting one ever since the Mk3 came out. My finances kept me from getting one sooner, so I didn't have to wait through the early delivery delays.

--SS

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:06 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Dposcorp wrote:

That's a much bigger box and a whole lot more of them.

I can say with pretty definite confidence that I won't get getting anything from the stork. I never wanted kids in the first place and "inherited" one when I got married. While I love her to death, I certainly wouldn't want another one. She's a sophomore in college and she's the reason I had to wait till now to pull the trigger on the printer. I shouldn't complain too much as we are able to pay for her college degree without borrowing money, but I am certainly looking forward to much freer cash flow in a few years.

--SS

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:25 am

SecretSquirrel wrote:
No. Points at which to eat the gummy bears are explicitly called out in the instructions. :D

LOL, I know, but I also know I would probably just mow them down instead of resisting. :)

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:52 am

I have a MK3! I assembled mine back in June, over the course of a couple days. The process is very clearly laid out, and everything went together perfectly. I print things with it a few times a week now, and it's never given me any trouble.

Edit: Oh, major user note: read the section in the manual about how to work with various filament types. I didn't do that before trying out TPE ("flex") filament, and printed directly onto the build plate rather than laying down the recommended layer of painter's tape first. I nearly damaged the plate surface getting the first print off, and from reading that's a really common occurrence.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:53 pm

8)

drfish wrote:
Oh man, I'll be watching this thread. That's the exact printer I've had my eye on since the beginning of the year..

+1

I'm still 1- 2 years off from this purchase, but whatever iteration of this printer is (at that time) is almost certainly the printer to get. :D

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:17 pm

Prusa mk3 is my standard recommendation for sub-$1000 FDM system. It's relatively cheap as these things go, not a fire hazard like the dirt-cheap Chinese clones, can be modified if so desired, and offers really great performance for what it is. I kinda want one (and a Lulzbot, mostly because of the name...) but I already have several personal FDM machines plus access to dozens of commericial grade systems so I'd not be able to do much with it.

If you have not done so already, I suggest you start learning how to use a CAD application. Downloading random junk from the internet gets very old very fast, and it's not additive manufacturing's strong suit anyway. I use Blender because I'm bat-crap crazy it was the best available tool at the time I started learning but there are other, more approachable ones out there too.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:44 pm

NovusBogus wrote:
If you have not done so already, I suggest you start learning how to use a CAD application. Downloading random junk from the internet gets very old very fast, and it's not additive manufacturing's strong suit anyway. I use Blender because I'm bat-crap crazy it was the best available tool at the time I started learning but there are other, more approachable ones out there too.

I looked at Blender and into learning it, but I already have a job. :P

I am just dipping my toes into designing models for my own use, and at least for now, I'm working in Tinkercad. I'm sure I'll run into its limits soon, but I need something fast and with training wheels to accommodate my limited amount of time and mental capacity.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:20 pm

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/ ... n-360.html

"Can I use Fusion 360 for free if I'm using it as a hobbyist and don't intend to sell what I make?

Yes! If you are an individual or group using Fusion 360 for non-commercial purposes, you qualify for the free license."

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:51 pm

You might check into "student" access to some. I have a copy of Catia because I was a student learning it and got it for either really, really cheap or free. It was a while ago.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:41 am

NovusBogus wrote:
Prusa mk3 is my standard recommendation for sub-$1000 FDM system. It's relatively cheap as these things go, not a fire hazard like the dirt-cheap Chinese clones, can be modified if so desired, and offers really great performance for what it is. I kinda want one (and a Lulzbot, mostly because of the name...) but I already have several personal FDM machines plus access to dozens of commericial grade systems so I'd not be able to do much with it.

While I'm certainly no expert, I'm been doing stuff with constructive solid geometry since the early 90s. CAD, for me, is mainly about learning the UI -- and no, I haven't really tried to tackle blender. Turning an object on screen into a physical object is new though.

--SS

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:59 am

I finished the Y axis last week, but haven't posted the picture yet.

Now I have :P

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:12 am

Last night I finished the X axis. Sorry for the poor focus...

The are two minor notes about the X axis. First the pulley has a screw that holds it in place. That screw fits in a recess in the x-end idler. The bottom of this recess has a lip that the screw head sits against. This lip is very thin and you can pull the screw head through very easily when tightening it down. Second, there are five square nuts that sit into traps in the X-carriage. These nuts arem't used until the E-axis step and have a tendency to fall out of their traps any time you move the X-axis assembly. I ended up threading some space screws through them while I finished the X-axis and the Z-axis.

Which brings us to the Z-axis.

All the parts, properly knolled -- sans the Z-axis motors and bearing rods.

And, the Z-axis assembled. At this point, the three primary axis are done and its starting to look a bit more like a 3d-printer.

With any luck, I'll have time to work on the E-axis tonight.

--SS

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:57 am

All the non electronic parts of the extruder assembly.

Putting the E-axis together has definitely been the most complex step so far. Not difficult, just lots of fiddly bits that you have to pay attention to. Took me a bit less than two hours to put it together.

Looks more and more like a 3d printer every day. The remaining construction stages are pretty straight forward. I'm hoping to get time to finish most of it tonight.