SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Re: My thoughts on the Prusa I3 MK3 3d printer kit

Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:38 am

just brew it! wrote:
Only if she sees the MSDS! :lol:

Or smells it....

To be fair to my wife, she has generally accepted my geekiness, though I do still get an eye-roll and shake of the head from time to time. Even she is starting to be intrigued by the printer. She wasn't really paying attention when I was doing the sample prints, but she stood and watched it for about five minutes yesterday, as it was printing wing panels. I think she described it as "pretty freaky". :lol:

On a technical note, the first three sections of the fuselage printed with no problems at all. Good adhesion and no warping at all.

--SS

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:33 pm

I should add that I have come across on other potential problem. To be fair, this is not specific to the Prusa I3 MK3, but is common across all open frame printers.

She has not yet tried to play with the printer, but the couple of times she has been in my hobby room while the printer was running, she has watched it very, very intently. I think the noises it makes in normal print mode are loud enough, and strange enough, that she doesn't want to approach it, despite it moving in very provocative ways. I haven't set it to stealth print mode yet, but I may try that to see if the change in sounds is enough to change her reaction.

I was planning on moving the printer down to my office, for a number of reasons, but my office is much less kitty-proof and I may need to make an enclosure before I move it.

--SS

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:39 pm

I've read that a properly constructed enclosure can often get you better prints also since it can help control temperature and humidity around the printer. Immunity from cat shenanigans is just an added bonus. :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:44 pm

I would think random cat hair would also interfere with the printing.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:04 pm

Now I'm picturing a print made with filament "reinforced" with cat hair... :P

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:05 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I would think random cat hair would also interfere with the printing.

..no, no - that's fiber reinforcement! :P

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:09 pm

I'm wondering how my cat (see "reviews" thread) can be in Texas and VT at the same time.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:18 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:

Oh... and the resin.... as has been pointed out, its some pretty nasty stuff. :lol:

--SS

yeah, toxic stuff (..and the cheaper the resin, the more toxic it probably is). Definitely needs ventilation to the outside (particularly with out-gassing during curing). Though, I've also heard that melting FDM filament can result in toxic fumes.

https://youtu.be/Gar2jcRlGTo?t=495

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:39 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:
To be fair to my wife, she has generally accepted my geekiness, though I do still get an eye-roll and shake of the head from time to time.

Same. And she's pretty geeky herself, just not about tech. (She shares my beer geekiness -- homebrewing, beer judge certification, etc...)

Tech-wise, her PC is an old Athlon X2 running Windows 7, she only listens to music on broadcast radio or from physical CDs, and she still uses an ancient LG feature phone with a slide-out keyboard! :lol:

With regards to pet hair, I can say from personal experience that it is rather difficult to keep a batch of homebrew completely free of dog hair if your dog is shedding. At least it is most likely to happen during the mash and boil stages, so any microbes that hitch a ride get killed by the boiling temperatures. After that, things are generally kept covered.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:20 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
I'm wondering how my cat (see "reviews" thread) can be in Texas and VT at the same time.

Schrödinger

Though... "entangled particles" has a much different meaning in the cat world. :lol: I will also say, I had the exact same thought when I was reading the "reviews" thread this morning.

--SS

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:27 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:
Schrödinger

Though... "entangled particles" has a much different meaning in the cat world. :lol: I will also say, I had the exact same thought when I was reading the "reviews" thread this morning.

Ah, but mine is ON the box, not IN the box.

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:30 pm

CScottG wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:

Oh... and the resin.... as has been pointed out, its some pretty nasty stuff. :lol:

--SS

yeah, toxic stuff (..and the cheaper the resin, the more toxic it probably is). Definitely needs ventilation to the outside (particularly with out-gassing during curing). Though, I've also heard that melting FDM filament can result in toxic fumes.

https://youtu.be/Gar2jcRlGTo?t=495

Some of the filaments (ABS) can definitely smell. My working assumption is that if they release fumes sufficient to smell, then, being a plastic, said fumes are not something you should inhale. This is not to say that if you can't smell it then it isn't toxic as well. The "current" major concern about PLA seems to be the ultra-fine/nano particles that may be released during printing.

--SS

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:31 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:
Schrödinger

Ah, but mine is ON the box, not IN the box.

Mine likes to alternate between IN and ON. It's like she can't decide on where she is... :wink:

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:44 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:
Mine likes to alternate between IN and ON. It's like she can't decide on where she is... :wink:

Yet cats seem to have an immunity to Heisenberg. For large portions of any day I can directly measure my cat's position and momentum without the measurement of one disturbing measurement of the other. That said, cats clearly obey the Pauli exclusion principle, as I've yet to see 2 cats share the same spin state.

Oh, to be OT: Does the filament smell resemble in any way "magic smoke"?

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:30 pm

Looks like a nice printer, the level of detail keeps getting better every time I look at 3D printers. The SLA prints especially so, incredible fidelity for a what is a relatively cheap DIY process.

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:54 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:

Yet cats seem to have an immunity to Heisenberg. For large portions of any day I can directly measure my cat's position and momentum without the measurement of one disturbing measurement of the other. That said, cats clearly obey the Pauli exclusion principle, as I've yet to see 2 cats share the same spin state.

Oh, to be OT: Does the filament smell resemble in any way "magic smoke"?

No idea what ABS smells like. PLA smells very mildly like popcorn. Seriously, when I walk in my hobby room that has had the door closed all day with the printer running, I get the slightest hint of what I would describe as popcorn. Now, it could be entirely psychological since PLA is made from fermented sugar, with corn starch being a common precursor. Still, I would not describe the PLA smell as anything approaching unpleasant.

*edit* -- The classic "magic smoke" smell is burning epoxy. Common IC packages are epoxy and FR4, a common PCB substrate, is epoxy impregnated fiber glass.

--SS

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:29 pm

just brew it! wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:
To be fair to my wife, she has generally accepted my geekiness, though I do still get an eye-roll and shake of the head from time to time.

Same. And she's pretty geeky herself, just not about tech. (She shares my beer geekiness -- homebrewing, beer judge certification, etc...)

Tech-wise, her PC is an old Athlon X2 running Windows 7, she only listens to music on broadcast radio or from physical CDs, and she still uses an ancient LG feature phone with a slide-out keyboard! :lol:

With regards to pet hair, I can say from personal experience that it is rather difficult to keep a batch of homebrew completely free of dog hair if your dog is shedding. At least it is most likely to happen during the mash and boil stages, so any microbes that hitch a ride get killed by the boiling temperatures. After that, things are generally kept covered.

My wife shares none of my geekiness. She's a kindergarten teacher. Smart phone yes, but beyond that, computers are tools. She likes ciders, but beer is iffy at best. Wines must be fruity and/or sweeter. We do share a love of cooking though. Her frequent statement is "I didn't know what I was getting into when I married you..." :D We are going on 15 years now...

Pet hair? Well acquainted. We've got two medium hare cats and two Cocker Spaniels. Hair balls collect in every corner of the house, regardless of how frequently we vacuum. Wouldn't trade it for anything though.

Back on topic, I'm reprinting one of the wing panels that warped. I sanded the PEI sheet with 1000 grit, cleaned it with denatured alcohol (vs the 70% isopropyl I was using), and lowered the live Z by 12 microns to get a better first layer squish. So far, there is no sign of the first layer separating from the bed and I'm about 90% done. I also switched from printing all four segments in the same print to just one segment.

--SS

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:16 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:
She likes ciders, but beer is iffy at best. Wines must be fruity and/or sweeter.

My kinda woman!

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:32 am

SecretSquirrel wrote:
Back on topic, I'm reprinting one of the wing panels that warped. I sanded the PEI sheet with 1000 grit, cleaned it with denatured alcohol (vs the 70% isopropyl I was using), and lowered the live Z by 12 microns to get a better first layer squish. So far, there is no sign of the first layer separating from the bed and I'm about 90% done. I also switched from printing all four segments in the same print to just one segment.

The wing panels are numbered 1 to 4, starting at the wing root. No separation when printing panel 2 of each wing. Once I popped panel 2 off the print bed and did a test fit. There is a slight bit of warping along the base of the panel. About one layers width from front to back. Nothing a few passes with a sanding bar doesn't fix right up.

Panel 1 still showed minor separation at the trailing edge. I could slide a piece of paper 1.5-2cm under the print. Placing the panel against a straight edge, it looks like 1-2 layers worth of warp across the base of the panel. Should still be correctable with a sanding bar, without too much issue.

Printing a single panel at a time has also removed all "blobbing". When printing all four panels at once, there is a long move from the end point of one layer, back to the starting point of the next. A bit a filament can ooze out of the extruder nozzle, just from gravity, and cause a blob at the layer starting point. Apparently, increasing the filament retraction can help reduce it if it is very bad, but may not eliminate it as even after pulling the filament back, there is some that is already melted in the extruder nozzle that can ooze. Compared to some pictures I have seen, mine were not at all bad and since doing single panel prints made them go away, I didn't muck with the printer settings.

While my printer is still nice and new and all the parts are fresh, I certainly haven't seen any of the finickiness that people have talked about with respect to 3D printers over the years. Yes, there is a learning curve and, yes, paying attention to details are important to getting quality prints, but I certainly haven't had any failures during 60+ hours of almost continuous printing.

--SS

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:43 am

First failed print. I don't count the warped wings as failed prints since other than the warping, the print itself was quite good. This is the failure:

Unfortunately, I wasn't watching it when it failed so I don't know what happened. This also happened to be the first print that I sliced myself. This part was printed with supports, though they may not strictly be required. The printer did not register any errors. I'm reprinting it now, with some adjusted settings -- no supports this time. It's actually a pretty good object for playing with print settings since it is complex, but doesn't take a huge amount of time to print and doesn't use a whole lot of filament.

The above was my first print I sliced. Next up were the blades for the display prop. I printed one by itself and then the remaining four blades together. I pretty much took the Slic3r defaults for the MK3 0.1mm detail settings. I don't have a picture of the single blade, but here is the four blade plate.

You can see some stringing in the pictures, as well as a seem up the trailing edge of a couple of the blades. There is also a bit of blobbing on the backside. The problems are worse on the multi blade plate, but also existed to some degree on the single blade. A light sanding cleaned up the single blade quite nice. I'll probably try tweaking some of the slicer setting and reprint these as well. They don't use a lot of filament, but take a long time to print -- about two hours per blade.

The next print was the two pieces of the display stand. This was printed with the MK3 "optimal" settings with no changes. They took about 8 hours to print and came out without any significant issues. There is a very slight warping of the parts, but nothing that causes problems.

At this point I'm leaving the realm of pre-fab gcode files, tailored to this printer, and entering the "its all my fault" realm. :lol:

--SS

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:25 am

Reading every post, thanks for the updates.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:33 pm

-the single blades are particularly impressive! 8)

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:50 pm

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:08 am

Uncanny, I just watched that yesterday. Tell me, has the online media that people reading this thread consume suddenly become universally sponsored by NordVPN? I swear, fully half of what I listen two or watch ran a NordVPN ad read this week.

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:54 am

wow that's really cool that you can print a flyable model, I initially thought it was just a display piece. Kinda surprised it's light enough, even with the skeletonization of the parts my 3d prints were still quite heavy (of the few I've done)

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:23 am

blitzy wrote:
wow that's really cool that you can print a flyable model, I initially thought it was just a display piece. Kinda surprised it's light enough, even with the skeletonization of the parts my 3d prints were still quite heavy (of the few I've done)

If I recall from looking at the model files and instructions (I believe this is the model that comes with the printer as one of the suggested prints), this prints with 0% infill, just shells. Would make it quite lightweight.

DragonDaddyBear
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:39 am

drfish wrote:
Uncanny, I just watched that yesterday. Tell me, has the online media that people reading this thread consume suddenly become universally sponsored by NordVPN? I swear, fully half of what I listen two or watch ran a NordVPN ad read this week.

Ah, the beauty of online trackers and targeted advertising. Remember, YOU are the product. They know how to find us nerds.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:58 am

DragonDaddyBear wrote:
drfish wrote:

Ah, the beauty of online trackers and targeted advertising. Remember, YOU are the product. They know how to find us nerds.

This is a bit beyond that, though. I'm not talking about banner ads, I'm talking about ad reads done internal to the content of the video/podcast that all seem to have been coordinated for release on the same week. I'm not saying that one doesn't feed the other, or that targeting isn't happening (clearly, they know their demographic) but what I've seen this week is above and beyond what I expect.

Back on topic, the tour video was sweet. They are a larger operation than I thought. I loved the "farm" with all their printers making parts for more printers.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:26 pm

drfish wrote:

I'm on an old build of chrome (49.0.2623.112 m)..with no youtube adds. :P

DragonDaddyBear
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:21 pm

Yeah, but they know what you watch and who to sponsor for your demographic.