Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Stumbled on a new project this weekend.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:23 am

So I was up visiting my daughter at college this weekend. In between fixing fridges and dryers and the like, I had to run to Walmart, Saturday morning. On the way, I happened to look down a side street and saw someone having a garage sale. Not unusual on a Saturday morning. The shape of something sitting out on the sidewalk caught my eye. One my way back, I stopped and ….

The cabinet has definitely seen better days.

But, it has two circuit boards, the mounted one looks to be nearly new.

The other, not so much...

The display is intact and looks to be in reasonably good shape, though I don't know about burn in.

I couldn't pass it up though. So, $100 later, it's sitting in my daughter's garage until I get get back up with a trailer and bring it home.

--SS

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Stumbled on a new project this weekend.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:31 am

Worst case, nothing works and you've got the perfect cabinet and hardware for an RPi emulator restomod. Win either way.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:19 pm

ludi wrote:
Worst case, nothing works and you've got the perfect cabinet and hardware for an RPi emulator restomod. Win either way.

The only thing that matter is the ROM contents. I have all the equipment to replace every chip on the board, if need. I probably have all the chips too. Actually, I might have to dig for a Z80... I probably even have the EPROM chips if I need to burn new ROMs. Not sure I have a computer that could drive my old programmer, but I think I still have my UV eraser.

--SS

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:43 pm

I'm pretty jelly right now. What are you going to do about the cabinets condition.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:15 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
I'm pretty jelly right now. What are you going to do about the cabinets condition.

I'm not entirely sure yet. I think some of if may have to do with the state of the electronics, and especially the monitor. If it turns out the monitor is in really good shape and the electronics work, then I'll probably go to a lot more effort to restore the cabinet.

--SS

videobits
Gerbil

Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:57 pm

Yes...some envy here as well. Great price for the cabinet alone as a starting point to a project.

Two comments: You might check with a shop that does vinyl wraps for cars and trucks. Duplicating the cabinet art should be fairly simple...just 4 colors it looks like.

And you probably should be thinking about just replacing those electrolytic capacitors on those boards. Likely problems due to heat and age. Through-hole components everywhere so it should be simple.

Good luck on your project.

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:35 pm

videobits wrote:
Yes...some envy here as well. Great price for the cabinet alone as a starting point to a project.

Two comments: You might check with a shop that does vinyl wraps for cars and trucks. Duplicating the cabinet art should be fairly simple...just 4 colors it looks like.

And you probably should be thinking about just replacing those electrolytic capacitors on those boards. Likely problems due to heat and age. Through-hole components everywhere so it should be simple.

Good luck on your project.

Checking all the caps is the first thing on my electronics list. Then it's going to be checking the power "supply". Depending, I may desolder the regulators and use my current controlled bench supplies for initial board power testing.

--SS

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:56 pm

videobits wrote:
You might check with a shop that does vinyl wraps for cars and trucks. Duplicating the cabinet art should be fairly simple...just 4 colors it looks like.

There are a number of places that will print vinyl decals or full side sheets for various video game cabinets. If the electronics don't work or I end up parting them out, I'll have a set for the Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga combo cabinet made and put an emulator in. If the electronics are good and the monitor are good then I might actually do stencils and properly repaint the cabinet as a full restoration. Regardless, there is going to be lots of work needed on the edges. They are pretty beat up.

--SS

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:04 pm

The patient has been transported home...

Finally got the chance to go pick up the Ms Pac-Man, as well as do some other handyman stuff at my daughter's house. Made for a long weekend. Unfortunately, I won't have the chance to work on the game much for a couple of weeks as I have some other stuff to do around the house, including finishing up getting the garage cleaned and organized. First step will be to get things cleaned up a bit.

--SS

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:09 pm

so cool! long time TR member, haven't post **** in years, cuz that's just the way life is.

frobozz alerted me to this thread, and me being a huge arcade hobbyist, i'm here!

nice find indeed secretsquirrel! over the past 5 years, I've amassed over 30 of these arcade refrigerators! :)

i'll muster up some photos and share with the class soon...
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:36 pm

thegleek wrote:
so cool! long time TR member, haven't post **** in years, cuz that's just the way life is.

frobozz alerted me to this thread, and me being a huge arcade hobbyist, i'm here!

nice find indeed secretsquirrel! over the past 5 years, I've amassed over 30 of these arcade refrigerators! :)

i'll muster up some photos and share with the class soon...

Don't suppose you have the combo Ms PacMan/Galaga, do you?

--SS

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:00 pm

Ah, Nostalgia. 8) Galaga was my favorite arcade game.. Pushed a lot of quarters into those machines in the early '80s. :D

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:54 am

CScottG wrote:
Ah, Nostalgia. 8) Galaga was my favorite arcade game.. Pushed a lot of quarters into those machines in the early '80s. :D

Tempest was mine. I'm never going to get bored of it. I've got the ROM via the Atari Vault, although it's never the same playing it on without a paddle.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:27 am

SecretSquirrel wrote:
Don't suppose you have the combo Ms PacMan/Galaga, do you?
--SS

i did. the pcb only. i gave it away for free this 2018 xmas for my secret santa gift. oh well.
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-