Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Stumbled on a new project this weekend.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:03 pm

Yeah, usually if you try to sand something that isn't dry yet it just gets all beady and gummy. Was the surface finish on the cabinet a bit uneven before you applied the primer? If the primer did a good job of sinking in, then I can see how you might get fibers breaking free after sanding like that without really causing any trouble. Anyway, If it all looks good, then it's nothing to worry about. :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:11 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Yeah, usually if you try to sand something that isn't dry yet it just gets all beady and gummy. Was the surface finish on the cabinet a bit uneven before you applied the primer? If the primer did a good job of sinking in, then I can see how you might get fibers breaking free after sanding like that without really causing any trouble. Anyway, If it all looks good, then it's nothing to worry about. :P

It is 35 year old plywood... :D I sanded it down pretty smooth, but there was still some grain left, and there was a bit of larger scale unevenness across the surface that I wouldn't be able to sand out without taking the top ply off in some places. We'll see how the second coat comes out, after I sand the rest of it. Only took me a bit over an hour to sand down the one side, to my liking.

--SS

Thagarr
Gerbil In Training

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:18 am

SecretSquirrel wrote:
I actually have a busted Ms Pac bootleg on the way. Someone on KLOV was replacing it with a stock board and let it go cheap. Couldn't resist. :D

Thanks for reminding me about KLOV, I hadn't bee there in years and lost bookmark! Several years ago I was trying to find a working Oscar game cabinet. Turns out that game is extremely rare with only 2 original known working cabinets in existence acording to KLOV. It is really quite a fun game and my best friend and I wasted many a roll of quarters playing it in a local convenience store back in the late 80's. I have it on MAME of course, but nothing compares to playing a game on the actual cabinet!

I have seen a few bootleg Oscar boards for sale on Ebay over the years, but I don't posses the best wood working or soldering skills, and spare time is, of course, is also an issue. This brilliant thread has rekindled that urge, and I may have to look into finally building my own MAME or RetroPi cabinet!

BerserkBen
Gerbil Elite

Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:48 am

The Egg wrote:
This has been one of my favorite threads on TR.

I agree. I think this is front page material.

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:41 am

So I'm writing off the first primer a failure. After over a week, it's still tacky to the touch. This goes beyond the normal blocking of latex paint. Something went wrong with the first coat. So now, I get to do some more of my favorite activity -- sanding! :roll:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:14 am

Bummer about the primer. Wonder what went wrong? If you're in TX (based on your forum location) one would think it's been warm enough to dry. :lol:

BerserkBen wrote:
The Egg wrote:
This has been one of my favorite threads on TR.

I agree. I think this is front page material.

On a site that people read.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:30 am

Sometimes you get a bad can, unfortunately. A friend of mine ended up doing three attempts on a jet ski hull thanks to bad paint (he ended up with 3 cans out of 5 being bad!).
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:33 am

For those eagerly awaiting my next attempt to prime the cabinet, you're going to have to wait a while I'm afraid. Life has intervened in a big way. My immediate family is fine, but I've got a close uncle in hospital and I've joined the care team rotation to help get some other family some rest. I'll be away from home for at least two weeks, maybe three. Then I've got two work trips at the end of October/beginning of November. So, fun projects are on hold for a bit.

Before this, I did actually start to sand down one side. It didn't go too well. Power sanding of any sort would just "melt" the paint. I don't know if it was actually melting or what, but it would glob and streak. Hand sanding worked ok, but would take forever. Started stripping it to see how it would do. Looks like it will come off fine, so I went and picked up enough stripper to take the cabinet back down to wood. The bag is still sitting on the garage floor where I put it when I got home....

--SS

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:16 am

Your uncle now has a thread of folks wishing him well. It's awesome that you are pitching in. Take care.