The left side is definitely nicer than the right. Priming the right side exposed spots that might need to be filled before the next layer of paint. I'll make that call after sanding.
Working on the cabinet is a bit more involved and takes some time to get moving and get cleaned up. Some of the little bits of time I've had have been spent working on the second board that was in the bottom of this cabinet when I got it.
As a reminder, this is what it looked like when I got it. Someone had attempted to convert it to a multi-pac game and did a poor job of it.
As a starting point, I removed all the hacks and repaired traces and the lifted leg on 7N -- no idea why they lifted that leg as they had already cut the trace coming from it. With a Ms Pac daughterboard and fresh set of ROMs, the board showed life, but the monitor wouldn't sync. There I left it for a few days.
When I came back I started probing signals but before getting very far in, I had to go do something else. When I came back and powered the board back up, it came to life and displayed the usual "no boot" screen of garbage, but the picture was solid. This should have been the first clue this was going to be a problem board.
After further probing, I found 13 of 7N floating, meaning none of the ROMS were ever getting a chip enable signal. This is where I figure out that not only had they lifted pin 13, but the trace was also cut. Repaired that cut and the board would start to boot, then show "failed" and reset. Some Googling implied this might be a bad 2114. Swapping the known good memory set from the other board resulted in a good boot. Working through all the pulled chips, I found one bad 2114.
I only have one Ms Pac daughter board at the moment, so I figured I'm burn a set of PacMan ROMs and install on this board so that it was functional and I wouldn't have to keep swapping the daughterboard back and forth.
Installed the PacMan ROM set and... a screen full of "no boot" garbage. Clue #2 this is a problem child. I figured I'd double check the ROM images in case one of the 2532s was bad, or I had someone mis-programmed image. All the ROMs checked out fine. Worse, when I plugged them back in, I no longer even got the screen of garbage. I got... nothing.
Kids: double check where pin 1 is.
So, in plugging the ROMs back in, I managed to plug 6E and 6F in backwards. Surprisingly, one of the two survived the ordeal. Beyond feeling dumb, I was rather pissed about toasting a 2532 EPROM. I was even more annoyed when I plugged the replacement ROM in (correctly this time), and found the board wouldn't sync with the monitor again.
I eventually traced the no sync to a bad 74LS161 at 2S. I didn't make a note at the time about what the failure scenario was. I don't knwo whether the backwards ROMs triggered the death, or if this chip was just slowly failing and was the cause of the initial lack of sync when I started troubleshooting this board or not. Regardless, replacing it resulted in a stable picture of garbage again.
After leaving it be for a while to take a break, I came back to start probing signals again. While probing around the clocking and CPU section, the board suddenly reset and booted right up. Remember -- problem child...
Anway, now that I had verified a working PacMan, time to start the rest of the rehab. Started by doing a cap kit. This board had not been treated well and while it seemed stable, doing the caps seemed to be a reasonable thing give how the ends of some of them looked -- not leaking, but definitely not good. I've got replacement ceramics on order too. It has at least one that is broken and the others will get replaced preemptively.
I figured I might burn a ROM set for a single board Ms Pac mod, using 6 2532s. The board already had the necessary traces cut. I wish it has been the no-serial number board that had been molested, but I figure if I could make this a good Ms Pac, I could use it in my system and make the other one available to someone down the road.
I carefully undid my repairs and put in place the appropriate mod -- a bit cleaner this time.
When I powered things back up, I was met with garbage again. I double and triple checked my work and found no problems. Time with the scope found that the watchdog reset was triggering. If the reset line pulses at 3.781Hz, this is the watchdog timer overflowing...
I've traced this as far as ~WDR not coming out of 7J pin 3. However it doesn't look like its 7J that has a problem. I have found that in probing around the CPU, especially if I let my finger touch a pin or three, the board will sometimes start to boot. Note that I have verified the CPU is good and I have also verified that the problem isn't the 285 custom.
Next step was to replace the CPU and 285 sockets.