Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: Stumbled on a new project this weekend.

Thu May 09, 2019 9:14 am

Many jobs ago we dealt with a system that had hundreds of boards (similar to blade servers) plugged into large rack-mounted backplanes. The manufacturer they contracted to build the boards had poor quality control, resulting in boards with bad solder joints which would work intermittently. SOP for figuring out which boards had issues was to run a massage vibrator across the exposed edges of all of the boards while the system was running a test workload. Any with bad solder joints would immediately crash or otherwise misbehave, and were pulled and reflowed.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu May 09, 2019 9:46 am

just brew it! wrote:
Many jobs ago we dealt with a system that had hundreds of boards (similar to blade servers) plugged into large rack-mounted backplanes. The manufacturer they contracted to build the boards had poor quality control, resulting in boards with bad solder joints which would work intermittently. SOP for figuring out which boards had issues was to run a massage vibrator across the exposed edges of all of the boards while the system was running a test workload. Any with bad solder joints would immediately crash or otherwise misbehave, and were pulled and reflowed.

Who provided the equipment? I hope you washed your hands afterwards.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu May 09, 2019 9:55 am

haha

SuperSpy
Gold subscriber

Thu May 09, 2019 12:00 pm

The Egg wrote:
I hope you washed your hands afterwards.

Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Sat May 11, 2019 9:37 am

just brew it! wrote:
SOP for figuring out which boards had issues was to run a massage vibrator across the exposed edges of all of the boards while the system was running a test workload.

Hitachi?
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat May 11, 2019 10:46 am

thegleek wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
SOP for figuring out which boards had issues was to run a massage vibrator across the exposed edges of all of the boards while the system was running a test workload.

Hitachi?

Yeah, pretty sure it was one of the "Magic Wand" models (or whatever they were called back then). IIRC the hardware engineer who came up with the idea would leave it sitting out on the workbench just to weird people out.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Mon May 13, 2019 11:33 am

Winner: best non-conventional IT tool.
Main rig: Ryzen 1600, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Mon May 13, 2019 11:54 am

MileageMayVary wrote:
Winner: best non-conventional IT tool.

"Hello, booking? I would like a one-way ticket to unemployment, with a layover at HR...yes, I'll hold."
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Mon May 13, 2019 3:45 pm

Something of a cross post from my 3d printing thread, but I'm making good progress on creating replacement plastic parts for the Pac Man style joystick. Originals on the right, reproductions on the left.

Printed from red nylon 6. I need to redo the actuator plate design (rectangular part) as I found that the internal walls were sloped at a 12deg angle when I was verifying dimensions of my repo against the original. Need to incorporate that slope.

Don't have pictures right off hand, but I pulled the t-moulding out of the cabinet. Luckily it wasn't glue anywhere and came right out.

--SS