Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Mr Bill
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

2007 Cobalt SS Supercharged Dreaded Ding Ding

Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:03 pm

To paraphrase I get these symptoms: while driving. Usually right after a mild bump... the dreaded “ding ding” sound followed by security light coming on dash, gauges go wonky (speedo, fuel and rpms drop to zero) Power Steering Loss notification comes and goes, sometimes loss of power steering and also the power brakes. I've had it to the dealer and to my mechanic a couple times. They can see the fault codes occured but cannot find the problem. I've done a bit of searching and there are a lot of youtube videos that suggest its a ground problem (e.g. 2006-08 Chevy Cobalt TCM FIX! Easy! BCM Problem, Connection issue).

So, I did this fix, the car runs OK briefly.

I decided to use my OBDII connector with bluetooth to the torque app on my cell phone to reset the code faults. Hooking up the connector and trying to link and the problem reoccured. But here is the interesting thing. There is a little module the size of a cell phone battery connected in to the wiring harness and taped against the harness right behind the OBDII connector. It looks like the tape is oozing with oily fluid. I think its the coming from the tape. The phone says there are two OBDII devices present! I think this little module might be one. My first thought is that its for talking to the key fob? My phone was trying to talk to it and when I forced it to forget this other device, the OBDII started working and the car stopped misbehaving.

So, my hypothesis is that this module or the connection to it, might be faulty and that this is causing my 'ding ding' symptoms. Any thoughts?
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro

BSandLies
Gerbil In Training

Re: 2007 Cobalt SS Supercharged Dreaded Ding Ding

Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:24 pm

Security system (keyfobs, etc.) shouldn't operate via a dongle attached to the OBD2 port. It is usually its own unit located somewhere in the dash or center console. The fact that your phone is seeing two OBD2 devices (bluetooth?) suggests that a previous owner installed an OBD2 scanner, it's been there the entire time you owned the car and it has developed a fault in it that causes a temporary short in the OBD2 system when the car hits bumps. Somehow that's shorting things out and causing systems to reset.

I have never had a car with more than one OBD2 port. That makes me think that your car has some kind of splitter or passthrough device. I would remove it and figure out what it is and whether it's necessary.

The goo coming out of the tape is usually just electrical tape that has gotten so hot that it sort of liquefies the adhesive.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:19 pm

BSandLies wrote:
Security system (keyfobs, etc.) shouldn't operate via a dongle attached to the OBD2 port. It is usually its own unit located somewhere in the dash or center console. The fact that your phone is seeing two OBD2 devices (bluetooth?) suggests that a previous owner installed an OBD2 scanner, it's been there the entire time you owned the car and it has developed a fault in it that causes a temporary short in the OBD2 system when the car hits bumps. Somehow that's shorting things out and causing systems to reset.

Sounds about right. A BT OBD2 scanner linked to a phone app is a cheap-and-cheerful way of collecting performance metrics from the vehicle while on the road. And also the first place to look for trouble if the installer didn't make a clean job of it.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Mr Bill
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:39 pm

Thanks for the input. I'll take it off and see what happens.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro

steelcity_ballin
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:03 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
To paraphrase I get these symptoms: while driving. Usually right after a mild bump... the dreaded “ding ding” sound followed by security light coming on dash, gauges go wonky (speedo, fuel and rpms drop to zero) Power Steering Loss notification comes and goes, sometimes loss of power steering and also the power brakes. I've had it to the dealer and to my mechanic a couple times. They can see the fault codes occured but cannot find the problem. I've done a bit of searching and there are a lot of youtube videos that suggest its a ground problem (e.g. 2006-08 Chevy Cobalt TCM FIX! Easy! BCM Problem, Connection issue).

So, I did this fix, the car runs OK briefly.

I decided to use my OBDII connector with bluetooth to the torque app on my cell phone to reset the code faults. Hooking up the connector and trying to link and the problem reoccured. But here is the interesting thing. There is a little module the size of a cell phone battery connected in to the wiring harness and taped against the harness right behind the OBDII connector. It looks like the tape is oozing with oily fluid. I think its the coming from the tape. The phone says there are two OBDII devices present! I think this little module might be one. My first thought is that its for talking to the key fob? My phone was trying to talk to it and when I forced it to forget this other device, the OBDII started working and the car stopped misbehaving.

So, my hypothesis is that this module or the connection to it, might be faulty and that this is causing my 'ding ding' symptoms. Any thoughts?

I had a normal Cobalt, base model years ago... I think it was an 06 maybe? Anyhow, I lost power one day coming home. A lot of people were complaining of the same symptoms. They had to do a mass fix for this, having to send my car in to the specialized dealer in the area equipped to handle this specific issue. Had something to do with the power steering column, but mine did the same as yours, total loss of power steers, all the electrical start acting janky, and I have to restart the car. They had sent me a warning in the mail that I failed to notice just am months prior.
Corsair 600T | ASUS P8P67 PRO | Intel 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | Asus 1080GTX | G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB | Corsair HX650 650W | Asus ROG Swift Gsync 27"

Waco
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:15 pm

Mine did this. They ended up replacing the entire electric steering assist under warranty. Never happened again.

IIRC there was a recall for it, but you're likely beyond the end date to have it done unless you find a sympathetic dealer.
Desktop: Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon | 6700K @ 4.4 | 16 GB | GTX Titan Xm | XSPC RX360 | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 2048 + 240 + LSI 9207-8i (128x8) SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

sconesy
Silver subscriber
Gerbil

Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:27 am

Sounds scary! I'm concerned about the lifetime of the electronics in newer vehicles. And the availability of people with the know-how to fix them - since in your case it sounds like the dealer told you to shove off.