Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

arunphilip
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Google shuts down Google+ after data leak

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:11 pm

Source: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... -it-quiet/

Google's post: https://www.blog.google/technology/safe ... ct-strobe/

Google exposed the private details of almost 500,000 Google+ users and then opted not to report the lapse, in part out of concern disclosure would trigger regulatory scrutiny and reputational damage, The Wall Street Journal reported Monday, citing people briefed on the matter and documents that discussed it. Shortly after the article was published, Google said it would close the Google+ social networking service to consumers.

The exposure was the result of a flaw in programming interfaces Google made available to developers of applications that interacted with users’ Google+ profiles, Google officials said in a post published after the WSJ report. From 2015 to March 2018, the APIs made it possible for developers to view profile information not marked as public, including full names, email addresses, birth dates, gender, profile photos, places lived, occupation, and relationship status. Data exposed didn’t include Google+ posts, messages, Google account data, phone numbers, or G Suite content. Some of the users affected included paying G Suite users.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Google shuts down Google+ after data leak

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:15 pm

Wasn't Google Plus kind of DOA anyway? I'm a social media reject in general, so I could be wrong, but it always seemed to me like the only one who cared about Google Plus was Google.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

arunphilip
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:49 pm

Yeah, the number of people who voluntarily signed up must be a small number.

But I do know that Google has been aggressive about G+ integration across YouTube, Picasa, etc. so it is likely people clicked through to G+ due to that. I'm not sure how much of the said personal data was populated in the G+ profile from the parent Google account.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:03 pm

Cynical, trolly, Bogus-is-in-the-mood translation: Google sold 500,000 Google+ users' data to an unsavory customer and is looking for a fall guy.

In other news, their response is stereotypical tech sector arrogance and is exactly why I don't trust any of those fools with data that I care about keeping. 'The cloud' is just a honeypot with good PR.

arunphilip
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:10 pm

From 2015 to March 2018, the APIs made it possible

Worth pointing out that March 2018 is just weeks before GPDR went live. Convenient much? Or did Google discover the leak as part of a 'preparing for GPDR' review?

NovusBogus wrote:
their response is stereotypical tech sector arrogance

Yeah, I thought with earlier breaches at FB, it was just Facebook's arrogance/chutzpah, and Google/Microsoft might be better. I'm now revising that opinion.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:44 pm

I've been on G+ since the beginning; there are some interesting people still there posting, though nowhere near as many as a year or so after it started. Can't say I'm surprised. Someone must have been waiting for an excuse to pull the plug and here it is.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:42 pm

I'm kind of a Google lifer, and G+ was just trash. The only thing I ever even found it useful for was 3rd party ROM support on Android phones. Seriously, there was just no content.

Good riddance. I hope those teams get to work on something that actually improves people's lives.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:45 am

The five remaining G-plus users would be disappointed, but they haven't logged into their accounts in months.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:47 am

They're expediting the shutdown thanks to ANOTHER security issue:

https://www.blog.google/technology/safe ... ogle-plus/

We’ve recently determined that some users were impacted by a software update introduced in November that contained a bug affecting a Google+ API. We discovered this bug as part of our standard and ongoing testing procedures and fixed it within a week of it being introduced. No third party compromised our systems, and we have no evidence that the app developers that inadvertently had this access for six days were aware of it or misused it in any way.

With the discovery of this new bug, we have decided to expedite the shut-down of all Google+ APIs; this will occur within the next 90 days. In addition, we have also decided to accelerate the sunsetting of consumer Google+ from August 2019 to April 2019. While we recognize there are implications for developers, we want to ensure the protection of our users.

Like...they just rolled out an update and made it worse.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:57 pm

At this point, why bother making any changes to public G+? Fork off the G Suite version and fiddle with that.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x