Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Bedbugs FTL

Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:23 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Like this?

Haha, I liked that song a lot. Reminds me of my island days chasing salad girls. Or was it the other way around?

This seems closest to what my wife gets:
https://www.amazon.com/Carrington-Farms ... op?ie=UTF8

Seriously, virgin coconut oil taken as needed has almost no downside. Cheaper and with better medicinal effects than pharma antibiotics and oral washes.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:59 am

trackerben wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Like this?

Haha, I liked that song a lot. Reminds me of my island days chasing salad girls. Or was it the other way around?

This seems closest to what my wife gets:
https://www.amazon.com/Carrington-Farms ... op?ie=UTF8

Seriously, virgin coconut oil taken as needed has almost no downside. Cheaper and with better medicinal effects than pharma antibiotics and oral washes.

Snake oil works way better.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Blink
Gerbil

Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:21 pm

Stayed in a Holiday Inn near Disney, noticed them before we left. I can't tell you how to solve all your problem. I will suggest that anything that can be put in the dryer without damaging it should be put there. If you live in an area where it's still sunny and warm, black trash bag things and leave them in the sun. Heat is the easiest way to be sure to kill them. Diatomaceous earth is pet safe, human safe, and clothing/cloth furniture safe. It should be used to supplement any treatment you may use. You can buy it in fairly large quantities at big box hardware stores. It's rather inexpensive.

*I see you already knew about DE. Sorry!
“If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—forever.”
― George Orwell, 1984

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:12 pm

I’ve been a couple places with bed bugs, and part of making sure I didn’t bring them back with me was putting clothing, shoes, bags, etc. into big contractor bags, dumping in some diatomaceous earth, sealing it (with triple bags and seals), shaking it around, and leaving it for a few weeks, then washing and drying everything in commercial dryers that got nice and hot. If the DE doesn’t kill them, the heat will.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

trackerben

Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:12 pm

Heiwashin wrote:

Don't take my word for it. Test it yourself, see what happens.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:41 pm

trackerben wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:

Don't take my word for it.

I wouldn't worry about that. :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

trackerben

Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:39 pm

Redocbew wrote:

I wouldn't worry about that. :P

Worry not, want not :)

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:02 pm

Big Data is scraping you.

Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

trackerben

Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:07 am

ludi wrote:
Big Data is scraping you.

Funny, I get ads for some 'Bee removal service'.

To Bee or not to Bee, that is the question ;)

TechieZero
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:48 am

Starfalcon wrote:
Well I just discovered I had bedbugs in my bed, no idea how they got there, but spent a lot of time killing them today. I had started getting marks on my legs in the last couple weeks and it had been getting more and more as time went on. I did some research online last night and went looking for them in my bed. Found a bunch nesting between my boxspring and frame, and prob killed 50 or so of the bastards. No idea where they came from as I had just changed the frame on my bed about 3-4 months ago and saw nothing then. Been looking at bedbug killers and it seems there are all sorts of types of them and, i read multiple reviews from people saying it worked great and other saying they do nothing.

I figured I would ask if anyone had any that worked for them, as I want to nip this in the bud before I have a serious problem. I have a cat so I need something that wont cause problems with her getting sick, but will make sure the bloodsuckers die. Already planning on getting the encasements for my matress and boxspring, but from what I read I will need to spray stuff to make sure they don't spread or come back. So hopefully someone has some advice.

It seems to me that beg bugs just appear suddenly! I regularly change my sheets but I got infested a few times, I think they come from my neighbors through ventilation (I live in a small apartment). Anyway, diatomaceous earth and flea control products might help at some point, don't forget good old Borax, but this works mostly with cockroaches. But there's 99% chance that you'll get rid of your old bed.

bfg-9000
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:11 am

This thread is so old that if OP had just sealed up his condo and moved to one of his vacation homes back then, he'd be about ready to move back next month because it only takes ~300 days without blood to starve the bugs without any special application of heat.

While they are now resistant to all approved insecticides, I should point out that even insecticides banned for indoor residential use will degrade on such time scales. The Sevin (carbaryl) mentioned in this thread has a 72-day half-life but only 3.2 days in the sun. Bayer Advanced (deltamethrin) has a 33-day half-life but photostable for 6 days. Malathion has a 17-day half-life but photodegrades in just 1.5 hours if not bound to dirt, suggesting you could even use a sunlamp to clear it from walls and floors. However while it isn't grampa's DDT, Ortho (bifenthrin) has a 250-day half-life and sunlight only drops this to 147 days.

After the City of Chicago was named the most bedbug infested city in the nation recently, the City Council passed an ordinance mandating a "duty to exterminate." Condo owners are required to immediately notify the condo association in writing, and the association is required to prepare a management plan + hire a professional.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:00 am

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/wild-t ... t-too-long

I don't even want to think about being on the receiving end of a fire extinguisher :o