Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Bedbugs FTL

Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:32 pm

SecretMaster wrote:
Any update on how the extermination process is going?

He didn't make it. He is now worshiping his new insect overlords.

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:31 pm

Depending on the area you live in there may be companies that use dogs to sniff out bed bugs. It may cost a few hundred dollars, but the dogs can find any location where the bugs are in a room. There are different dogs trained in different ways, some sniff out live bugs, some sniff out exoskeletons, so look into it as a way to target the the bugs efficiently.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Starfalcon
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:29 pm

Well after the purge where I killed a bunch I really have seen only a few of the bugs so the infestation doesnt seem to be so bad. But I am waiting to see as the eggs they lay take 2 weeks or so to hatch, and the small ones are very hard to see. Ive been sick so I havent had time to rip my place apart yet, but I still plan to go ahead with what I planned to do. Ive been checking my matress and box spring daily and really havent seen anything so far, but I think the bugs are somewhere else like the carpet or maybe under my nightstand.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:38 pm

Scatter the DE through the carpet around those areas, shred their little hides!
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:36 am

You could rent or borrow a multipurpose steam cleaner and blast away before spreading powder and traps. The vapors will enter the tiniest runs and cracks and instakill bed bugs and dust mites caught in the path. If you already have a clothes steamer with flexible hose and attachments, you could try using that first.

A canister model that superheats to 300F and outputs 'dry steam' like those from Dupray can be pricey. But the lower-moisture stream is less likely to harm unsealed surfaces, such as wood and laminate fixtures. Pressurized steam will disinfect trouble spots and can dislodge most grime and stains as well.

Doors and windows may need to be opened due to the humid conditions, though. Not recommended if pets will be littering and shedding stuff everywhere, the steam will muck it up gross.
Last edited by trackerben on Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:53 am

Starfalcon wrote:
Well after the purge where I killed a bunch I really have seen only a few of the bugs so the infestation doesnt seem to be so bad. But I am waiting to see as the eggs they lay take 2 weeks or so to hatch, and the small ones are very hard to see. Ive been sick so I havent had time to rip my place apart yet, but I still plan to go ahead with what I planned to do. Ive been checking my matress and box spring daily and really havent seen anything so far, but I think the bugs are somewhere else like the carpet or maybe under my nightstand.

Sticky mats under the feet. It will catch them before they can move between objects
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

farmpuma
Gold subscriber
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:24 am

The Advantage (from Bayer) spot and crevice flea spray I use says it also kills bedbugs. It works quite well on fleas and it should at $16.99 plus sales tax for a 24oz squeeze pump spray bottle from www.drsfostersmith.com. They also sell a three pack of foggers. I don't know if the foggers also kill bedbugs, but I imagine they do.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:08 am

Starfalcon
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:51 pm

farmpuma wrote:
The Advantage (from Bayer) spot and crevice flea spray I use says it also kills bedbugs. It works quite well on fleas and it should at $16.99 plus sales tax for a 24oz squeeze pump spray bottle from http://www.drsfostersmith.com. They also sell a three pack of foggers. I don't know if the foggers also kill bedbugs, but I imagine they do.

From all I read online, foggers do nothing for bedbugs, they are good at hiding in very small cracks and foggers wont really get in there and effect them. As for a lot of the sprays, they will kill bedbugs if you spray them directly, but wont kill them after you spray and it sits there, that's why they are so hard to get rid of. If you sprinkle 91 iso alcohol on them, that will kill them also, and that is a heck lot cheaper in bulk then most sprays.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:50 pm

Starfalcon wrote:
If you sprinkle 91 iso alcohol on them, that will kill them also, and that is a heck lot cheaper in bulk then most sprays.

Hmm.....speaking of which, I’ve occasionally wondered what happens to intestinal parasites and bloodsuckers when they feed on someone with exceptionally high blood alcohol. Wouldn’t getting blackout drunk probably kill tapeworms and such by alcohol poisoning?

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:39 pm

The Egg wrote:
Starfalcon wrote:
If you sprinkle 91 iso alcohol on them, that will kill them also, and that is a heck lot cheaper in bulk then most sprays.

Hmm.....speaking of which, I’ve occasionally wondered what happens to intestinal parasites and bloodsuckers when they feed on someone with exceptionally high blood alcohol. Wouldn’t getting blackout drunk probably kill tapeworms and such by alcohol poisoning?

IIRC most of the alcohol gets absorbed in your small intestine, but parasites tend to live further down (large intestine). So other than giving the tapeworm a mild buzz (and taking a few days off the service life of your liver) I don't think it's gonna accomplish much.

Giving yourself a booze enema might be more effective...? :o
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:04 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Quick route to fatal alcohol poisoning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_enema
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:24 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

If you're at the point where you've rationalized anal injection of alcohol to treat a tapeworm, you probably don't have much left to lose :P

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:25 pm

What about mosquitoes though? I imagine they probably hiccup while they’re flying, then veer off toward the side with the sound of a cartoon airplane plummeting towards earth, and then a tiny explosion upon impact.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:32 pm

Concentrations of alcohol in human blood (for drunk people) aren't high enough to have any impact on insects that bite you. You'd long be dead before you could reach a lethal (or even mild inebriation) concentration for insects.
Last edited by SecretMaster on Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:36 pm

SecretMaster wrote:
Concentrations of alcohol in human blood (for drunk people) aren't high enough to have any impact on insects that bite you. You'd long be dead before you could reach a lethal concentration for insects.

https://youtu.be/kBMXAoOnNL8
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:56 pm

ludi wrote:
SecretMaster wrote:
Concentrations of alcohol in human blood (for drunk people) aren't high enough to have any impact on insects that bite you. You'd long be dead before you could reach a lethal concentration for insects.

See?? This kinda stuff happens. Shows how much you know, SecretMaster. :P

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:00 pm

The Egg wrote:
ludi wrote:

Well that video would explain some of my bathroom experiences after going heavy on the hot sauce :lol:

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:02 am

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:
In May 2004, a 58-year-old machine shop owner of Lake Jackson, Texas, died after his wife administered an alcohol enema of sherry. In total, the man consumed two large bottles of sherry, containing about three liters of the alcohol.

Interesting definition of "consumed"...

SecretMaster wrote:
The Egg wrote:
ludi wrote:

Well that video would explain some of my bathroom experiences after going heavy on the hot sauce :lol:

Hey, maybe it would work for getting rid of tapeworm? :lol:

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:10 am

Butt chug responsibly.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

TheRazorsEdge
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:26 am

Starfalcon wrote:
My condo assoc is really really bad, that would not help with anything at all, in fact they would prob fine me for getting the bugs.

If the bed bugs are spreading throughout the facility, then exterminating your own bed bugs won't be a permanent solution.

When I had an infestation, I replaced the mattress and slicked the base of the bed frame so they couldn't get into the new one (bed bugs can't fly, they can only climb). Problem solved.

The heat method was Plan B. My system wouldn't go up that high, so I would have needed space heaters to do it.

My mattress was old and bug-stained, so I wanted to replace it anyway. If you want to keep yours, then I'd go high heat right away.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:33 am

Heiwashin wrote:
Butt chug responsibly.

A canonical oxymoron.

G8torbyte
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:14 am

Starfalcon wrote:
Bumper wrote:
Starfalcon wrote:
Well I did some more research and it seems the only thing that really works is the dust you can spread, it breaks down their carapaces and causes them to die. Short of hardcore chems that may or may not work and other eco friendly stuf that most likely wont work. I think Ill bag my matress and boxspring, and I plan to rip up the carpet and toss it, and then apply the dust around the room. Ill see how it goes and just watch for more bugs showing up.

this is an excellent plan. I bagged my stuff and spread diatomaceous earth everywhere. they eventually went away in the main bedroom after multiple washings and reapplications. of note we never could get rid of them in the spare bedroom and we ended up just locking it up and abandoning it for a year. They will die if they don't feed for a long time.

Yeah it really was hard to come up with a plan of action...just way too much contrary information out there, this just seemed the best solution to go with. It is good to see it worked for you, so I feel somewhat relieved now.

I used the diatomaceous earth dust to help get fleas out of my carpet after our pet dog brought some in from a trip. It worked as stated because the micron-sized particles get under the insect exoskeleton and dehydrates them to death. I think it would work similarly for bedbugs. The "food grade" version of the dust is naturally safe to use with indoor pets. Fleas disappeared shortly after applying. Only drawback is a lot of vacuuming aferwards with a HEPA filter to clean up the fine dust.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:49 am

The Egg wrote:
Starfalcon wrote:

I tried this with a bad cold in college, once. All it did was make me hungover and sick, with a cold!

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:08 pm

Buub wrote:
The Egg wrote:

I tried this with a bad cold in college, once. All it did was make me hungover and sick, with a cold!

I have anecdotal evidence that a shot of whiskey may help if you have a sore throat. Correlation is not causation and the data set is very small so I make no claims of scientific rigor; but it seems to work for me. Could very well be that it just helps me sleep better in spite of the pain, which speeds my recovery...

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:14 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Buub wrote:
The Egg wrote:

I have anecdotal evidence that a shot of whiskey may help if you have a sore throat. Correlation is not causation and the data set is very small so I make no claims of scientific rigor; but it seems to work for me. Could very well be that it just helps me sleep better in spite of the pain, which speeds my recovery...

I gargle deeply with alcohol based Listerine or the like. If it's a bacterial infection antiseptics will certainly have an effect if applied for a long enough time.
When drunk.....

trackerben

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:53 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Take virgin (cold-pressed) coconut oil for its antibacterial effect and comforting feel. It's the closest thing to a wonder medicinal treatment that I know of. A spoonful to the back of the throat should start soothing things quickly, after a few coughs at most.

I used to be rather prone to EENT issues until I began taking this organic promptly as needed. If you catch the initial itchiness early on, the condition could be resolved overnight.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:03 pm

trackerben wrote:
coconut oil

Like this?

Bobs_Your_Uncle
Gerbil

Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:19 am

Captain Ned wrote:
trackerben wrote:
coconut oil

Like this?

This one works much, much better!

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:30 pm

Don't remind me about bedbugs.

Had a horrible experience with them about 2 years ago in my apartment.

Took about a month and a half of heat treaments to finally nuke all those little bastards.
Last edited by AMD64Blondie on Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.