Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Bedbugs FTL

Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:47 am

Well I just discovered I had bedbugs in my bed, no idea how they got there, but spent a lot of time killing them today. I had started getting marks on my legs in the last couple weeks and it had been getting more and more as time went on. I did some research online last night and went looking for them in my bed. Found a bunch nesting between my boxspring and frame, and prob killed 50 or so of the bastards. No idea where they came from as I had just changed the frame on my bed about 3-4 months ago and saw nothing then. Been looking at bedbug killers and it seems there are all sorts of types of them and, i read multiple reviews from people saying it worked great and other saying they do nothing.

I figured I would ask if anyone had any that worked for them, as I want to nip this in the bud before I have a serious problem. I have a cat so I need something that wont cause problems with her getting sick, but will make sure the bloodsuckers die. Already planning on getting the encasements for my matress and boxspring, but from what I read I will need to spray stuff to make sure they don't spread or come back. So hopefully someone has some advice.
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex

wirerogue
Gerbil First Class

Re: Bedbugs FTL

Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:47 am

bedbugs are very difficult to get rid of. you will have to put your cat somewhere else while exterminating.

this is a very good resource http://www.doityourselfpestcontrol.com/

i would recommend one of their liquids that you mix yourself. They also sell kits.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:47 am

That sucks dude. Right now I'm going through a moderate flea infestation as a result of me taking in a stray kitten, and keeping on top of it is exhausting. I haven't ever dealt with bedbugs (thankfully). The silver lining in your situation is that it seems like the infestation is fairly recent, so they should only be confined to your bed/immediate surrounding area. Is your bedroom on carpet or wood flooring? I'm guessing replacing the whole set (frame/boxspring/mattress) is financially out of the question?

kvndoom
Silver subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:52 am

Had to fight these bastages around 2012 or 2013. Unfortunately we lost the bed... but we did win the war. And most likely they aren't just on your bed either. They can flatten their bodies to be barely thicker than a sheet of paper. They will hide behind the molding on your walls and other places you wouldn't imagine.

For me, nothing worked until I remembered how we used to powder our dogs with Sevin Dust for ticks and fleas back when I was a kid on a farm. Creepy critters basically just have to walk through it and eventually it will get in their bodies and kill them. So I bought a bunch from Lowes and put down dust on the sofas and chairs, even under the seat cushions. Also, it takes temperatures of 140 degrees or higher to kill them, so I cranked the water heater as high as it could go and we washed all sheets and clothes on hot/warm and full dryer heat. Shook Sevin dust along all the walls in all the rooms where they had a high probability of feeding (bedrooms, living rooms, anywhere with plush furniture or rugs).

It took a couple weeks of this process but they went away and we haven't seen them since. Good luck!
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

kvndoom
Silver subscriber

Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:56 am

SecretMaster wrote:
That sucks dude. Right now I'm going through a moderate flea infestation as a result of me taking in a stray kitten, and keeping on top of it is exhausting. I haven't ever dealt with bedbugs (thankfully). The silver lining in your situation is that it seems like the infestation is fairly recent, so they should only be confined to your bed/immediate surrounding area. Is your bedroom on carpet or wood flooring? I'm guessing replacing the whole set (frame/boxspring/mattress) is financially out of the question?

Have you tried the Seresto collar? It's pricey, but we had a really bad infestation last fall and those collars worked like a charm on our dogs. They last 6-8 months too which helps ease the financial.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:08 am

Thanks for the replies. I have already read the DIY pest control page, gave me a lot of good info. As for the flooring, it is carpet in my room. Also the frame is just a metal angle iron frame , so that shouldnt be an issue, and Id rather not replace the bed unless I have to as I just bought it 3 years ago and paid a lot of money for it. Im planning on going to home depot as a lot of places said they carry a lot of these bedbug sprays. Although all the reviews I read of the different ones had such a wide range from works great to did absolutely nothing waste of money. I am not sure what to try yet, have to do more research.
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:20 am

kvndoom wrote:
SecretMaster wrote:

Have you tried the Seresto collar? It's pricey, but we had a really bad infestation last fall and those collars worked like a charm on our dogs. They last 6-8 months too which helps ease the financial.

All pets (kitten, dog, and adult cat) are on Revolution or Frontline. I'm normally pretty skeptical of flea collars (both in terms of efficacy and pet-health), but the Seresto collar looks legit. I'll definitely consider it as I move along. The big issue is that we let the kitten have free reign of the garage for a week before taking him to the vet - he was pretty human shy and we wanted him to be a bit more comfortable around us. In retrospect I should have just donned gloves, grabbed the dude, and took him to the vet ASAP.

Starfalcon wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I have already read the DIY pest control page, gave me a lot of good info. As for the flooring, it is carpet in my room. Also the frame is just a metal angle iron frame , so that shouldnt be an issue, and Id rather not replace the bed unless I have to as I just bought it 3 years ago and paid a lot of money for it. Im planning on going to home depot as a lot of places said they carry a lot of these bedbug sprays. Although all the reviews I read of the different ones had such a wide range from works great to did absolutely nothing waste of money. I am not sure what to try yet, have to do more research.

I'm not sure if you've encountered this page, but I think this is fairly thorough in providing information https://nysipm.cornell.edu/whats-buggin ... ug-faqs/#8.
They don't give specific recommendations as to which brands/chemicals work, but they explain the different types of treatment and how they should be used. I also think kvndoom makes a great point about them not just being on the bed. I think it's appropriate to go nuclear in a situation like this; inspect not only your bed but the surrounding areas. I think if you're thorough in your inspection/cleaning/treatment, you can nip it in the bud before it gets out of hand. Again, it sounds like this is a fairly recent infestation so I think limiting it to the confines of your bedroom is reasonable.
Last edited by SecretMaster on Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:21 am

I say board the cat and try 3-4 different chemicals over the course of a couple days and hopefully one will work.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:22 am

Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:32 am

Starfalcon, do you live in an apartment or condo? If so, they are very likely elsewhere in the unit, and will re-infest. Unfortunately the only way to really deal with them at that stage is to have the landlord involved.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

kvndoom
Silver subscriber

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:33 am

just brew it! wrote:

I'll put even money on bedbugs and cockroaches surviving. :o

kvndoom
Silver subscriber

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:38 am

SecretMaster wrote:
All pets (kitten, dog, and adult cat) are on Revolution or Frontline. I'm normally pretty skeptical of flea collars (both in terms of efficacy and pet-health), but the Seresto collar looks legit. I'll definitely consider it as I move along. The big issue is that we let the kitten have free reign of the garage for a week before taking him to the vet - he was pretty human shy and we wanted him to be a bit more comfortable around us. In retrospect I should have just donned gloves, grabbed the dude, and took him to the vet ASAP.

We tried one of the skin medicines at first but one of our dogs (not sure which, since we crate them together) had a severe "digestive" reaction. As in mega-explosive diarrhea two nights in a row. That was foul. All over the other dogs, all over the crate, it was horrible. I'm glad your animals can tolerate it, because I wouldn't wish that on anyone. :oops:

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:40 am

ludi wrote:
Starfalcon, do you live in an apartment or condo? If so, they are very likely elsewhere in the unit, and will re-infest. Unfortunately the only way to really deal with them at that stage is to have the landlord involved.

I live in a condo I own, no landlord.

Krogoth
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:42 am

kvndoom wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I'll put even money on bedbugs and cockroaches surviving. :o

Extreme cold and heat ( <-10C : 50C+) for a significant duration (a couple of hours) kills bedbugs but both are problematic to do in a home/living space setting.

Nuclear fire and following winter will likely get rid of them. ;)
Ivy Bridge i5-3570K@4.0Ghz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GiB of PC3-12800, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-600 and Fractal Refined R4 (W). Kentsfield Q6600@3Ghz, HD 4850 2x2GiB PC2-6400, Gigabyte EP45-DS4P, OCZ Modstream 700W, and PC-7B.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:45 am

Starfalcon wrote:
ludi wrote:

HOA or property management company, then? Whoever owns/manages the land and shell needs to coordinate an extermination.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:50 am

Starfalcon wrote:

I'd hate to say this, but you really should contact your neighbors and tell them. The little bastards can travel and you might just be only forcing them next door with the extermination steps you are taking.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:52 am

My condo assoc is really really bad, that would not help with anything at all, in fact they would prob fine me for getting the bugs.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:01 am

Maybe the bugs are from all your old hardware :lol:

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:02 am

I did some more reading. More to your original question about which insecticides to buy/use, here are some things to consider:

http://labs.russell.wisc.edu/insectid/f ... edbugs.pdf
https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef636
http://pesthelpers.com/types/bed-bugs (by way of http://www.life.illinois.edu/entomology/extension.html)

It sounds like bed bugs are growing increasingly resistant to insecticides. More importantly, most of the store-bought insecticides are from the same group of insecticides. So it's possible that none of the stuff you get may be effective. Or maybe one type is, and another isn't. It honestly seems like it's a crapshoot/trial and error if you go that route. It also sounds like a professional exterminator has access to a wider arsenal of tools. If you're still situated in the Chicago metro area, I would consider contacting either the U-Illinois Entomology Extension, or the UW-Madison (http://labs.russell.wisc.edu/insectlab/ ... -j-liesch/). Either one might be able to provide additional insights.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:03 am

Starfalcon wrote:
My condo assoc is really really bad, that would not help with anything at all, in fact they would prob fine me for getting the bugs.

Assuming the units are all joined into a larger building, I'd be surprised to find your unit to be the only one affected. Bedbugs spread easily and are a real PITA to eliminate. The best way (and the one used quite often in hotels that have problems) is the high heat method.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:09 am

Starfalcon wrote:

In that case, what do you have by way of a city or county department of public health? You might be able to submit your complaint and have them come breathing down the condo assocation's collar while remaining anonymous.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:19 am

Might be easier to just burn the house down.

But really, get a bag vacuum, and vacuum everything a lot, A LOT. manual defeat by physical removal is truthfully the only thing you've got. That includes removing the infested possessions if need be. to my understanding the only chemical that does anything at all is ddt, and it's banned.

Other than that the most effective tool is heat. I recently found a single full size adult bedbug in my truck. It appeared to have just fell on my pillow after feeding. after my inspection revealed no indication of a colony I assumed it came from a visitor shortly before that and I did what's easy for my situation. I turned the heat in the truck on max on a summer day and left it.

The services I've seen that use heat treatment look extremely expensive do to the prep work required in a house.

Other than that, condos always have a risk of shared pest problems. Nothing you can do about that as long as you choose to live there.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:25 am

SecretMaster wrote:
I did some more reading. More to your original question about which insecticides to buy/use, here are some things to consider:

http://labs.russell.wisc.edu/insectid/f ... edbugs.pdf
https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef636
http://pesthelpers.com/types/bed-bugs (by way of http://www.life.illinois.edu/entomology/extension.html)

It sounds like bed bugs are growing increasingly resistant to insecticides. More importantly, most of the store-bought insecticides are from the same group of insecticides. So it's possible that none of the stuff you get may be effective. Or maybe one type is, and another isn't. It honestly seems like it's a crapshoot/trial and error if you go that route. It also sounds like a professional exterminator has access to a wider arsenal of tools. If you're still situated in the Chicago metro area, I would consider contacting either the U-Illinois Entomology Extension, or the UW-Madison (http://labs.russell.wisc.edu/insectlab/ ... -j-liesch/). Either one might be able to provide additional insights.

I complained like 10 years ago about the dangers of using preventative medicine and chemicals in various situations. Bed bugs are just one more indicator of the future of hardened, human selected, super bugs and bacteria.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:27 am

Yeah.....hate to say it, but unless you're willing to part with your PC hardware collection (or move it to a storage unit), anything short of sealing the place and cooking them with the heat method is probably hopeless.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:05 pm

I did some more poking around and saw things like strategically placed sticky mats, including under furniture feet. Pretty smart, that provides some isolation of the individual furniture aside from it's use and can act as an indicator of infestation locations.
When drunk.....

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:43 pm

Well I did some more research and it seems the only thing that really works is the dust you can spread, it breaks down their carapaces and causes them to die. Short of hardcore chems that may or may not work and other eco friendly stuf that most likely wont work. I think Ill bag my matress and boxspring, and I plan to rip up the carpet and toss it, and then apply the dust around the room. Ill see how it goes and just watch for more bugs showing up.

Bumper
Gerbil

Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:08 pm

Starfalcon wrote:
Well I did some more research and it seems the only thing that really works is the dust you can spread, it breaks down their carapaces and causes them to die. Short of hardcore chems that may or may not work and other eco friendly stuf that most likely wont work. I think Ill bag my matress and boxspring, and I plan to rip up the carpet and toss it, and then apply the dust around the room. Ill see how it goes and just watch for more bugs showing up.

this is an excellent plan. I bagged my stuff and spread diatomaceous earth everywhere. they eventually went away in the main bedroom after multiple washings and reapplications. of note we never could get rid of them in the spare bedroom and we ended up just locking it up and abandoning it for a year. They will die if they don't feed for a long time.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:11 pm

Bedbugs! Faster than Light! Coming soon to a theater near you!
(Just in time for Halloween!)
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:35 pm

Bumper wrote:
Starfalcon wrote:

this is an excellent plan. I bagged my stuff and spread diatomaceous earth everywhere. they eventually went away in the main bedroom after multiple washings and reapplications. of note we never could get rid of them in the spare bedroom and we ended up just locking it up and abandoning it for a year. They will die if they don't feed for a long time.

Yeah it really was hard to come up with a plan of action...just way too much contrary information out there, this just seemed the best solution to go with. It is good to see it worked for you, so I feel somewhat relieved now.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:21 am

Any update on how the extermination process is going?