Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Almost 20 years

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:54 am

just brew it! wrote:
The bad knee is too unstable to do that going down; I'll end up falling down the stairs and breaking my neck!

What happened to your knee? A question from a multiple knee surgery recipient.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:08 am

leor wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
The bad knee is too unstable to do that going down; I'll end up falling down the stairs and breaking my neck!

What happened to your knee? A question from a multiple knee surgery recipient.

Old injury. Tore it up years ago. Unfortunately I wasn't even doing anything exciting at the time; I was just shoveling snow. Slipped, fell, and twisted it the wrong way.

Most of the time it is just a minor annoyance, e.g. things can feel a little unstable when I'm carrying something heavy down a flight of stairs. Occasionally it'll act up; when that happens, taking ibuprofen generally gets it under control within a day or two.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:13 am

just brew it! wrote:
Old injury. Tore it up years ago. Unfortunately I wasn't even doing anything exciting at the time; I was just shoveling snow. Slipped, fell, and twisted it the wrong way.

Most of the time it is just a minor annoyance, e.g. things can feel a little unstable when I'm carrying something heavy down a flight of stairs. Occasionally it'll act up; when that happens, taking ibuprofen generally gets it under control within a day or two.

Blew mine playing basketball, blew almost everything you can think of and a couple of things I never heard of. Needed 2 surgeries and I pretty much couldn't walk for 2 years - fun times.

I take stairs 2 at a time, but the left leg is way weaker than the right (and always hurts). Never did 2 at a time going down even in teens and 20s, just never saw the point.

pikaporeon
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:43 am

Four pages and no cheese option?!

I started lurking around as a teenager trying to convince my parents/grandparents to buy me a Socket 939 rig and using TR's benchmarks as a guide for price/performance

... hasn't really changed much except where the money comes from.
I'm not a teenager any more and actually work in tech that's pretty cool I guess
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
i5-6600K@4.2ghz | R9 380X | 16 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB
Sempron 2650@1.45GHZ | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 10

G8torbyte
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:38 pm

pikaporeon wrote:
I started lurking around as a teenager trying to convince my parents/grandparents to buy me a Socket 939 rig and using TR's benchmarks as a guide for price/performance

Similarlry, I often came to TR for reference before I finally joined membership. Good 'ol socket 939, it was TR's review 12 years ago: https://techreport.com/review/9681/abit ... herboard/2
that convinced me to build an Abit/Athlon platform. It was a fun build for that time.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs and gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991
Current setups: X99 Command/Control Station and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:20 am

Wow! Has it been that long?

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:33 am

G8torbyte wrote:
pikaporeon wrote:

Similarlry, I often came to TR for reference before I finally joined membership. Good 'ol socket 939, it was TR's review 12 years ago: https://techreport.com/review/9681/abit ... herboard/2
that convinced me to build an Abit/Athlon platform. It was a fun build for that time.

Ahhh, I remember the days back before every motherboard was either charcoal gray or flat black. There were some really crazy color schemes in the early part of this century.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:49 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
G8torbyte wrote:
pikaporeon wrote:

Ahhh, I remember the days back before every motherboard was either charcoal gray or flat black. There were some really crazy color schemes in the early part of this century.

I loved my DFI LanParty boards.