Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Almost 20 years

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:54 am

just brew it! wrote:
The bad knee is too unstable to do that going down; I'll end up falling down the stairs and breaking my neck!

What happened to your knee? A question from a multiple knee surgery recipient.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:08 am

leor wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
The bad knee is too unstable to do that going down; I'll end up falling down the stairs and breaking my neck!

What happened to your knee? A question from a multiple knee surgery recipient.

Old injury. Tore it up years ago. Unfortunately I wasn't even doing anything exciting at the time; I was just shoveling snow. Slipped, fell, and twisted it the wrong way.

Most of the time it is just a minor annoyance, e.g. things can feel a little unstable when I'm carrying something heavy down a flight of stairs. Occasionally it'll act up; when that happens, taking ibuprofen generally gets it under control within a day or two.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:13 am

just brew it! wrote:
Old injury. Tore it up years ago. Unfortunately I wasn't even doing anything exciting at the time; I was just shoveling snow. Slipped, fell, and twisted it the wrong way.

Most of the time it is just a minor annoyance, e.g. things can feel a little unstable when I'm carrying something heavy down a flight of stairs. Occasionally it'll act up; when that happens, taking ibuprofen generally gets it under control within a day or two.

Blew mine playing basketball, blew almost everything you can think of and a couple of things I never heard of. Needed 2 surgeries and I pretty much couldn't walk for 2 years - fun times.

I take stairs 2 at a time, but the left leg is way weaker than the right (and always hurts). Never did 2 at a time going down even in teens and 20s, just never saw the point.

pikaporeon
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:43 am

Four pages and no cheese option?!

I started lurking around as a teenager trying to convince my parents/grandparents to buy me a Socket 939 rig and using TR's benchmarks as a guide for price/performance

... hasn't really changed much except where the money comes from.
I'm not a teenager any more and actually work in tech that's pretty cool I guess
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
i5-6600K@4.2ghz | R9 380X | 16 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB
Sempron 2650@1.45GHZ | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 10

G8torbyte
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:38 pm

pikaporeon wrote:
I started lurking around as a teenager trying to convince my parents/grandparents to buy me a Socket 939 rig and using TR's benchmarks as a guide for price/performance

Similarlry, I often came to TR for reference before I finally joined membership. Good 'ol socket 939, it was TR's review 12 years ago: https://techreport.com/review/9681/abit ... herboard/2
that convinced me to build an Abit/Athlon platform. It was a fun build for that time.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs and gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991
Current setups: X99 Command/Control Station and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:20 am

Wow! Has it been that long?

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:33 am

G8torbyte wrote:
pikaporeon wrote:

Similarlry, I often came to TR for reference before I finally joined membership. Good 'ol socket 939, it was TR's review 12 years ago: https://techreport.com/review/9681/abit ... herboard/2
that convinced me to build an Abit/Athlon platform. It was a fun build for that time.

Ahhh, I remember the days back before every motherboard was either charcoal gray or flat black. There were some really crazy color schemes in the early part of this century.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:49 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
G8torbyte wrote:
pikaporeon wrote:

Ahhh, I remember the days back before every motherboard was either charcoal gray or flat black. There were some really crazy color schemes in the early part of this century.

I loved my DFI LanParty boards.

End User
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:39 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I loved my DFI LanParty boards.

Whoa. That brings back memories. Memories of a TR gone by.

I joined back in 2004. Enthusiasm for PC builds is rare nowadays. TR is more of a social scene.

When was the last time Captain Ned built a PC?

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:42 am

I believe that Ned has CPUs that were manufactured on the same 14nm process that is the state of the semiconductor art at this very instant. He might even have driven all the way from Vermont to Ohio to get a particularly good deal on some of them. Building a new PC every year isn't what makes Ned a hoopy frood, anyway.
i7-9700K, H100i v2, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:31 pm

End User wrote:
When was the last time Captain Ned built a PC?

March 2015.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:47 pm

I miss when PCs required intelligence to build and configure, and when the games pushed the tech. Getting Unreal to run in 3D at 640x480 and being blown away by it, that's what I miss. It ain't fun anymore.
I'm not altogether on anyone's side, because no one is altogether on my side.

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:25 am

Back then computers were an enthusiast hobby. Now it's a commodity. It also grew much more back in the day. Now, well, you can't grow much larger than commodity status, so that makes it less exciting than the leaps and bounds of progress we remember.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:03 am

Vrock wrote:
I miss when PCs required intelligence to build and configure, and when the games pushed the tech. Getting Unreal to run in 3D at 640x480 and being blown away by it, that's what I miss. It ain't fun anymore.

FireGryphon wrote:
Back then computers were an enthusiast hobby. Now it's a commodity. It also grew much more back in the day. Now, well, you can't grow much larger than commodity status, so that makes it less exciting than the leaps and bounds of progress we remember.

I hear you; probably the most fun/excitement I had building a PC was before even the x86 PC era. This was back when it wasn't out of the ordinary to need a soldering iron, or even to hack together your own device driver. Of course things were also a lot simpler then; there were no BGA chips (so doing component-level work with a cheap Radio Shack iron was entirely feasible), and OSes were simple enough (hey, they had to fit in 64K of RAM with enough left over for applications!) that you could hack together and test a device driver in a couple of evenings.

I do still build my own PCs, but whereas a lot of the fun used to be in the tinkering and tweaking, now I generally just want something rock-solid stable that's reasonably affordable and performant. I guess another way to put that is that it is more about the destination than the journey now.

Software is where the action is these days. And the "maker" movement. Limitless possibilities for tinkering, and individual hobbyists can still make major contributions to the respective ecosystems.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:20 pm

Speaking of the bad old days, Alan Cox (the Linux hacker) is developing a Unix-like OS for 8- and 16-bit micros called Fuzix:

http://www.fuzix.org/
https://github.com/EtchedPixels/FUZIX/wiki
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:33 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I do still build my own PCs, but whereas a lot of the fun used to be in the tinkering and tweaking, now I generally just want something rock-solid stable that's reasonably affordable and performant.
I guess another way to I got a new PC last year, after my old 2600k actually stopped keeping up well with the games I play. And it's the first PC in several decades I haven't built myself. I figured the entusiast oriented shop that does it all day long would do it better then me that only do it once every comp, which was 6 years since last time… so yes, now days I just want stuff to work when it comes to a main machine if I don't have anything special I want to tinker for...

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:48 pm

Aphasia wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
I do still build my own PCs, but whereas a lot of the fun used to be in the tinkering and tweaking, now I generally just want something rock-solid stable that's reasonably affordable and performant.

I guess another way to I got a new PC last year, after my old 2600k actually stopped keeping up well with the games I play. And it's the first PC in several decades I haven't built myself. I figured the entusiast oriented shop that does it all day long would do it better then me that only do it once every comp, which was 6 years since last time… so yes, now days I just want stuff to work when it comes to a main machine if I don't have anything special I want to tinker for...

Yes, there's something to be said for that. But even though I don't do as much tinkering or tweaking as I used to (heck, I don't think I've overclocked anything in a decade or more), I still enjoy researching the tech and "window shopping" for parts between builds. The only pre-built PCs I have bought since the 1990s have been laptops; my last pre-built desktop was a Pentium Pro (which now resides in Starfalcon's collection).

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:25 pm

I still picked out all the parts I wanted and stuff, just that I let them put it together and get rid of all the packing materials. So in the end, i picked up 2 boxes, one with the computer and all left over tech cables and such in a custom box they deliver such in. Then a new monitor.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:52 pm

The years fly by, way too fast. I started visiting TR for my first (DIY) build in 2003, an old A64 and radeon 9800 pro with 256MB of vram lol. I still remember paying about $175 for a single stick of 512MB DDR400, then the mem manf's got caught for colluding and I got another same stick for about half that. Officially signed on years later, so almost 16 years for me coming here.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!