LoneWolf15
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Re: Almost 20 years

Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:16 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
LoneWolf15 wrote:
...HomeServerShow...

Any idea what Dave's up to these days? I wrote some articles for HSS back in the day and did a meetup with them awhile ago. I still have my EX470 sitting around doing nothing.

It has been a couple of years, but I think Dave is still doing it. I've met him, and Paul Braren (TinkerTry) and like them very much.

I went to one of the annual meetups in Indianapolis, made friends with them, JoeMiner, and Schoondoggy (I beta tested some of his gear, he even got me a T-shirt, he made them with pride). Then the next year I had to buy a car (2016) and couldn't go. Then, my wife had an injury in 2017, and shattered her shoulder and broke her arm in three places. Three hours of surgery, 32 titanium screws and assorted plates, and a partial joint replacement, and I couldn't go with our medical bills and ensuring she healed okay (she was off work 4 months).

I really need to go back; it's a great community. I believe he's still running the podcast. Those next two years, he reached out to me to see if I was coming, and I was really disappointed I couldn't go. I need to go back to it. It's got the flavor we have here, but with servers, NAS devices and a bit of networking, wireless and IoT.

I didn't write for them, but I published some FAQs and other items on the forum regarding HP servers (Microserver Gen8, ML310e Gen8/ML110/ML30 Gen9) that were well-received.
i9-9900K @4.8GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, 1TB WD Black, NEC 7200 DVDRW
2x Gigabyte GTX 1070 Founders Ed. SLI, Dell 2408WFP-HC

idchafee
Gold subscriber
His Holy Gerbilness

Re: Almost 20 years

Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:10 pm

Hance wrote:
My favorite memory was meeting LicketySplit in person, stayed and his place and went golfing with him multiple times. RIP :(

JediNinjaWizard pissed Damage off and got banned one night. He kept advocating the use of add blockers. Damaged changed his signature to irritating rash :lol: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29187

Holy crap, I'd forgotten all about that!
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!