Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Almost 20 years

Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:49 pm

cegras wrote:
10 years of TechReport - the same people arguing about intel and amd in the comments section.

10 years? I thought it was closer to 15 where AMD was strongly competitive. Noce to see them competitive again.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:52 am

TheEmrys wrote:
cegras wrote:
10 years of TechReport - the same people arguing about intel and amd in the comments section.

10 years? I thought it was closer to 15 where AMD was strongly competitive. Noce to see them competitive again.

The original Athlon was reasonably competitive at launch (platform/chipset glitches notwithstanding), and that goes back nearly 20 years. As you're well aware, they've gone in and out of being competitive a few times since then.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

The Egg

Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:17 am

I'm actually surprised by the number of kids roughly 16-22 who suddenly want to get into PC gaming. Not sure what the driving force is for this, but it's good to see I suppose.

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:20 am

K6-III was pretty good and competitive with Pentium. It wasn't until Pentium II that Intel started pulling away for a bit (yes Pentium Pro was a thing but it was basically the HEDT platform of the day).

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:24 am

The Egg wrote:
I'm actually surprised by the number of kids roughly 16-22 who suddenly want to get into PC gaming. Not sure what the driving force is for this, but it's good to see I suppose.

Appetite whetted by Minecraft?

The Egg

Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:01 am

just brew it! wrote:
The original Athlon was reasonably competitive at launch (platform/chipset glitches notwithstanding), and that goes back nearly 20 years. As you're well aware, they've gone in and out of being competitive a few times since then.

jihadjoe wrote:
K6-III was pretty good and competitive with Pentium. It wasn't until Pentium II that Intel started pulling away for a bit (yes Pentium Pro was a thing but it was basically the HEDT platform of the day).

Yeah...I built a number of K6's and original Athlons, but the chipsets kept me away for personal use until Nvidia got into the game with their nForce (which would've been early Athlon XP era). I had absolutely no love for VIA, SIS, ALi, et al. Fast-forward 20 years and I'm still leery of AMD chipsets due to Asmedia's involvement.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:08 am

ALi wasn't bad by the close of the Super 7 era. My Diamond/Micronics C200 was solid, and even supported low enough VCore to run the K6-x+ mobile chips. That was a great little system for its time.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:20 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
The Egg wrote:

Appetite whetted by Minecraft?

You could probably make an argument for original Java Minecraft being a factor, heh. What I've noticed is that the kids in my life are all about the stuff their PCs can do (gaming, streaming, programing, rendering, video editing, etc), but they aren't really excited about the PCs themselves. They just don't care about specs, and they don't geek out over performance improvements. It's weird. :-?
TR BBQ XV is over.

Krogoth
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:24 am

just brew it! wrote:
TheEmrys wrote:
cegras wrote:

K6-III units were also competitive at the time due to their L3 cache until Coppermine refresh but AMD had aforementioned K7 (Slot A) on the pipe.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-750M V2 and Fractal Define R4 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:32 am

drfish wrote:
You could probably make an argument for original Java Minecraft being a factor, heh. What I've noticed is that the kids in my life are all about the stuff their PCs can do (gaming, streaming, programing, rendering, video editing, etc), but they aren't really excited about the PCs themselves. They just don't care about specs, and they don't geek out over performance improvements. It's weird. :-?

It's almost like what they want to do is more important than the hardware that drives it. Shameful. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:41 am

I don't understand how they can disconnect those two things.
TR BBQ XV is over.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:54 am

drfish wrote:

Could it be that you're...

...you're...you're raising...

*gulp*

normal people???

:o :o :( :( :P
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Blahpony
Gerbil XP

Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:56 am

I remember going to a meet in Northern VA at a restaurant. I got there first. I had to say with a straight face "Reservation for United Gerbil Nation" (or some such, it's been a while).

There were a good amount of us there, including Kevin, who was in the area on business.

We also shot up the basement of a local office building with various guns. :D

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:57 am

drfish wrote:

And that's why we hang out here. To the vast majority of people a PC is an appliance, more akin to a TV or a washing machine. If it's too slow or stops working, you buy a new one. You don't need to understand how it works to do that (though it would enable you to make more educated purchasing decisions, even if you don't build your own).

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:07 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
drfish wrote:

Could it be that you're...

...you're...you're raising...

*gulp*

normal people???

:o :o :( :( :P

Haha, hey now, I'm not talking about my own kids. My 19 month old already skips ads on YouTube, she's the only one I'm fully "in control" of. My moto for her has been "Minecraft by two, redstone by three." We'll see how it goes.

JBI is right though, one man's passion is another man's "meh."
TR BBQ XV is over.

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:20 pm

meerkt wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:
3) leor’s bird problem (pics are still here!)

Except the grand finale. The the new forum software apparently censors filenames. :) (It's holyshi t!.jpg.)

Ha ha, I still have the pics, but one of the servers that was hosting the images is gone. If I can overcome the lazy bug, I'll post them to a new server and update.

Ahhhh 2630, my old friend... where I would cajole, berate, and ridicule to fire people up and push us into the top 10 in the world. At one point I had #1 production on the team and was top 50 in the world in total points before the GPU folding came in and made my opteron farm obsolete.

I still say u cheated, Fishy boy!

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:44 pm

leor wrote:

True story: I just this year threw out the letter from the president of my company where I had it in writing that it was all good for me to fold on the company PCs. Office got rearranged and I tossed 95% of the crap I'd accumulated since that era.

I think I peaked at like 42 in the world. Nowadays, while I still think the data is useful, I just can't get excited about the energy costs, heat, and component wear incurred by folding. I'll be forever grateful that team 2630 cemented my bond to TR overall though, I don't think I'd be hosting BBQs or writing for the site if that wasn't the case.
TR BBQ XV is over.

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:59 pm

drfish wrote:
True story: I just this year threw out the letter from the president of my company where I had it in writing that it was all good for me to fold on the company PCs. Office got rearranged and I tossed 95% of the crap I'd accumulated since that era.

I think I peaked at like 42 in the world. Nowadays, while I still think the data is useful, I just can't get excited about the energy costs, heat, and component wear incurred by folding. I'll be forever grateful that team 2630 cemented my bond to TR overall though, I don't think I'd be hosting BBQs or writing for the site if that wasn't the case.

I remember that boost well, I had the lead on you, then all of a sudden you hulk out, and it was basically a race to see if you would pass me by the deadline. At the time I was a network admin for a pretty small company that had 10-12 old ass Dells with P3s and low clocked P4s. At home I had a bunch of naked motherboards (one of which was a quad socket opteron system), and managing the power draw was a constant chore. At one point I blew the power in my whole building... managing those headless systems with my craptastic knowledge of Linux also set me back at a bit. I think I might have made it closer if they didn't keep going down, but if I recall correctly you had me beat with several days to spare.

I totally agree about the camaraderie, at one point Damage let me post a few articles on the front page recruiting for the team. The graphical signatures we used to come up with with real time stats were pretty badass.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:00 pm

drfish wrote:
leor wrote:

Frankenbot was quite fun every year! Especially the hardware swap we had going on the first few years. I'll admit that after GPU became a thing and I never saw any real-world benefits, I pretty much lost interest.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:07 pm

Ahh, yes... the glory days of the folding farm. I had motherboards running zip-tied into plastic storage crates, hanging from wire shelves in the closet, and laying on the concrete floor in the crawlspace. My home web server has been out of commission since I ditched the legacy DSL line (static IP) a couple of years back, so the pics I posted in the forums aren't currently accessible. Like Leor, I keep meaning to re-host them, but haven't gotten around to it. At least I own the domain name they were hosted under, so I won't need to go back and adjust all of the forum links once I get the domain re-hosted on a VPS.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:14 pm

Krogoth has a brother. He made quite the impression on the forums. Also thegleek drama and the subsequently-short-lived gleek forums.
Corsair 600T | ASUS P8P67 PRO | Intel 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | Asus 1080GTX | G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB | Corsair HX650 650W | Asus ROG Swift Gsync 27"

b3n113

Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:12 pm

Last edited by b3n113 on Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dposcorp
Silver subscriber

Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:18 pm

I am so old I thought I already posted in this thread. ( i had already posted in the Ars thread which I think confused my old ass brain)
Followed Damage over from Ars as well. Long live TR and the TR BBQ.

The Egg wrote:

Not sure about everyone else, but I never bought my kids consoles on purpose and played all our games on old PCs/Laptops, then added tablets and phones.....and yes, Minecraft on the PC was huge for my kids, as they would brag to all their friends who played minecraft on consoles about the cool mods they would download and install on the Java version.

Looks like i made the right decision.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/12/ ... -consoles/

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:13 pm

drfish wrote:
Haha, hey now, I'm not talking about my own kids. My 19 month old already skips ads on YouTube, she's the only one I'm fully "in control" of. My moto for her has been "Minecraft by two, redstone by three." We'll see how it goes.

That is exceptional. At 19 months we were more concerned with poisoning her brain so mine didn't get into any of that stuff until she was like 4 or 5.

Now I'm trying to push her along into thinking-person's games. She'd still rather Minecraft or Roblox online with friends. They're more fun than me, so I can't blame her. :lol:

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:03 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
drfish wrote:

That is exceptional. At 19 months we were more concerned with poisoning her brain so mine didn't get into any of that stuff until she was like 4 or 5.

Now I'm trying to push her along into thinking-person's games. She'd still rather Minecraft or Roblox online with friends. They're more fun than me, so I can't blame her. :lol:

I figure, what are children if not a big experiment? Our general thought process is "screen time" is just one of many options for things to do, it doesn't need to be placed on a pedestal or locked in a box, it's just a thing. If the tablet's batteries die while she's using it and we need to put it up for charging, she fusses for a bit and then goes over to put her Katamari plush into her basketball hoop, stack Duplo, work on her proto-somersaults, annoy the cat, roll anything-but-cars down her Little People ramp, ask for juice, collect and bring sissy her toys, crawl into her ball pit/stuffed animal-bed, run around with her "space helmet" on (Tupperware container), hits up her new play kitchen, or a dozen other things.

That said, of course I'd love it if she ends up liking the kind of things that I do and not thinking dad's a weirdo for inviting all his online nerd buddies over once a year to play. For now though, I think it's pretty cool that, through very little effort on our part, she has a damn good understanding of touch interfaces (tapping, dragging/dropping), solves puzzles, knows her colors (and can say them) and has a bunch of other skills YouTube and her kid's apps have the infinite time and patience to teach her that we don't. Regardless of her current proclivities, I'm very curious to see what kind of online community piques her interest down the road.
TR BBQ XV is over.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:46 am

drfish wrote:
I figure, what are children if not a big experiment? Our general thought process is "screen time" is just one of many options for things to do, it doesn't need to be placed on a pedestal or locked in a box, it's just a thing. If the tablet's batteries die while she's using it and we need to put it up for charging, she fusses for a bit and then goes over to put her Katamari plush into her basketball hoop, stack Duplo, work on her proto-somersaults, annoy the cat, roll anything-but-cars down her Little People ramp, ask for juice, collect and bring sissy her toys, crawl into her ball pit/stuffed animal-bed, run around with her "space helmet" on (Tupperware container), hits up her new play kitchen, or a dozen other things.

That said, of course I'd love it if she ends up liking the kind of things that I do and not thinking dad's a weirdo for inviting all his online nerd buddies over once a year to play. For now though, I think it's pretty cool that, through very little effort on our part, she has a damn good understanding of touch interfaces (tapping, dragging/dropping), solves puzzles, knows her colors (and can say them) and has a bunch of other skills YouTube and her kid's apps have the infinite time and patience to teach her that we don't. Regardless of her current proclivities, I'm very curious to see what kind of online community piques her interest down the road.

I didn't mean to say or imply that what we did was best. I've kind of changed my mind on the whole thing, and think of it more like you do. That it's just one more thing. I realized (after the fact) that me being in my room playing Nintendo as a kid wasn't any better or worse than my parents watching TV or whatever. None of it's terribly productive, but not every moment in your life needs to be productive.

I still want her to play games that require at least some problem-solving skills and understanding strategy. Even if it doesn't apply in the real world, I just want her to get into the habit of finding things that go together well. Her ice mage's spells pair nicely with that monster's weakness to ice elemental is a specific example of a couple of more general skills. Break things down into components, observe your surroundings, all that jazz.

Mr Bill
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:21 pm

ludi wrote:
Only at the 16y mark with TR, myself (by registration, anyway, I may have lurked earlier than that).. But my strongest memory was seeing the refugees from Aces Hardware flood in after De Gelas went to AnandTech and Brian Neal lost interest in keeping that site going. There's a few of us still kicking around here.
I was one of those refugees. I lurked around TR but mostly hung around at Aces, Ars Technica, and Lost Circuits. I asked permission of TR (and got it ;-)) to use the black green white color scheme when I started my own web page Oct 2001.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:27 pm

I do remember our founding days. Late nights with scott and I setting this place up, writing, working, caring.

YOU'RE ALL WELCOME.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:11 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
ludi wrote:
Only at the 16y mark with TR, myself (by registration, anyway, I may have lurked earlier than that).. But my strongest memory was seeing the refugees from Aces Hardware flood in after De Gelas went to AnandTech and Brian Neal lost interest in keeping that site going. There's a few of us still kicking around here.

I was one of those refugees. I lurked around TR but mostly hung around at Aces, Ars Technica, and Lost Circuits. I asked permission of TR (and got it ;-)) to use the black green white color scheme when I started my own web page Oct 2001.

I used to post at Ace's occasionally as well. Probably not enough to be considered a "refugee" though.

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:36 pm

drfish wrote:

The easiest way to get her into what you like is to make it forbidden/limited. Give her a little taste, but limit it to 30 minutes a day every other day, she will lose her mind over it ;-)