Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Re: Almost 20 years

Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:39 pm

leor wrote:
The easiest way to get her into what you like is to make it forbidden/limited. Give her a little taste, but limit it to 30 minutes a day every other day, she will lose her mind over it ;-)

You are forbidden to do school homework.

Didn't work for me either.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

leor
Gold subscriber
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:15 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Didn't work for me either.

Lol, the age range where that works is well before homework comes into the picture. And yeah, crappy not fun stuff probably won't work (not sure why that needed elucidating, but there it is).

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:31 am

Is there a time line of people who have met the banhammer??
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:38 pm

anotherengineer wrote:

I think half the entrants on that list would be thegleek, because I'm relatively sure he got two or three bans. I can only think of ZooTech and HowardDrake as banned members who weren't just creating accounts for spamming.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:45 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
anotherengineer wrote:

I think half the entrants on that list would be thegleek, because I'm relatively sure he got two or three bans. I can only think of ZooTech and HowardDrake as banned members who weren't just creating accounts for spamming.

l33t-gamer or whatever his name was. Scott had enough of him posting conspiracy theories in the article comments.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:49 pm

Oh, that's right. And gratuitous who would go through and clear the contents of all of his posts after a certain amount of time. it made threads unreadable.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:10 pm

Back when "Stomped" website went silent, I came here for gaming advice on hardware. been lurching around ever since.

Krogoth
Gerbil Elder

Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:37 am

anotherengineer wrote:

Shintai, Porkster for blatant troll-baiting/shilling. Cybert for doing all sorts of weird stuff and flaming back. I'm sure there are a few others here and there. The community has been relatively civilized compared to some other tech enthusiast websites.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-750M V2 and Fractal Define R4 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:49 am

We had a certifiably nuts cyberstalker about a decade ago. Took a while to get the situation under control because he kept using new e-mail addresses and proxies to create new accounts. I don't recall how much was revealed publicly so I'm not revealing the stalker's handle (to protect the stalkee's privacy).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

leor
Gold subscriber
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:05 am

just brew it! wrote:
We had a certifiably nuts cyberstalker about a decade ago. Took a while to get the situation under control because he kept using new e-mail addresses and proxies to create new accounts. I don't recall how much was revealed publicly so I'm not revealing the stalker's handle (to protect the stalkee's privacy).

I remember that dude... dying the height of the DYMT days!

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:50 pm

wasnt there a snakoil guy and some prime transformer guy also? and auxy?
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

Robotics
Gerbil

Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:47 am

Happy new years gerbils! Bring luck and happiness for all of us.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:10 am

anotherengineer wrote:
wasnt there a snakoil guy and some prime transformer guy also? and auxy?

auxy wasn’t banned that I remember.

Ryu Connor
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:51 am

derFunkenstein wrote:

Multiple bans.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:59 am

Ryu Connor wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Multiple bans.

R&P related? I don't remember seeing anything about her getting bans.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:49 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Was that the rando who'd create new throwaway accounts to send personal attacks in PMs?
Hakkaa päälle!

Ryu Connor
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:41 pm

bthylafh wrote:

R&P related? I don't remember seeing anything about her getting bans.

We generally don't announce bans.

Edit: As an aside, R&P is almost never a reason for a ban. That sub-forum has a unique ruleset.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:08 pm

bthylafh wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Was that the rando who'd create new throwaway accounts to send personal attacks in PMs?

No, that was a whole 'nother round of stupid.

simbant
Gerbil

Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:18 pm

what happened to Abrasion, and whm

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:13 pm

Pretty sure this thread has devolved. Here we were arguing at how good that conversations are. :lol:

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:45 pm

I came close to bans a few times, especially with that wrestling thread.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:09 pm

simbant wrote:

Whm just quit posting as far as I know. New theory, he was the stalker.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:37 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
simbant wrote:

Whm just quit posting as far as I know. New theory, he was the stalker.

He just quit posting. Nothing sinister.

farmpuma
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:25 am

sweatshopking wrote:
I do remember our founding days. Late nights with scott and I setting this place up, writing, working, caring.

YOU'RE ALL WELCOME.

Thank You both! We are all eternally grateful.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:38 am

just brew it! wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:
Just remember, folks, that this was among the most civilized places on the 'net back then which is why I and many of you chose to stay here. Yet the above is what the most civilized place looked like. Scary, huh? :P

Or maybe we're all just getting old...

We are getting older, old is a state of mind.
But as long as I still have to show ID when buying alcohol, I should be able to say I still look fairly young…. especially at just a few years short of double the legal age for it...

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:36 am

Aphasia wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:
Just remember, folks, that this was among the most civilized places on the 'net back then which is why I and many of you chose to stay here. Yet the above is what the most civilized place looked like. Scary, huh? :P

But as long as I still have to show ID when buying alcohol, I should be able to say I still look fairly young…. especially at just a few years short of double the legal age for it...

I'm a few years past double the legal age. And I was feeling it yesterday -- it was a brew day, and shuttling back and forth between the kitchen (brewing) and basement (where all the equipment is stored and where fermentation happens) carrying stuff up and down the stairs had my knee screaming for mercy. :(

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:01 am

just brew it! wrote:
Aphasia wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I'm a few years past double the legal age. And I was feeling it yesterday -- it was a brew day, and shuttling back and forth between the kitchen (brewing) and basement (where all the equipment is stored and where fermentation happens) carrying stuff up and down the stairs had my knee screaming for mercy. :(

I'm gonna hit 35 next month, and I still take the stairs 2 at a time, and insist on 1 trip from the car to my fridge on grocery days. I've gotten lazy the last few months with my workout regimen, but I always return. The biggest difference for me from 10 years or so ago when I started taking my physical health more seriously is that now I can't usually go into a workout cold, I have to warm up my joints. If I can promote anything that isn't technically working out but still has massive benefits it's this: https://www.defrancostraining.com/joe-d ... y-routine/ 15 minutes a day tops. Makes a big difference between when I do it and when I don't.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:13 am

steelcity_ballin wrote:
I'm gonna hit 35 next month, and I still take the stairs 2 at a time, and insist on 1 trip from the car to my fridge on grocery days.

Haha... I remember those days! On a good day, I'll still sometimes take stairs 2 at a time, but only going up. The bad knee is too unstable to do that going down; I'll end up falling down the stairs and breaking my neck!

bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:24 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:
I'm gonna hit 35 next month, and I still take the stairs 2 at a time, and insist on 1 trip from the car to my fridge on grocery days. I've gotten lazy the last few months with my workout regimen, but I always return. The biggest difference for me from 10 years or so ago when I started taking my physical health more seriously is that now I can't usually go into a workout cold, I have to warm up my joints. If I can promote anything that isn't technically working out but still has massive benefits it's this: https://www.defrancostraining.com/joe-d ... y-routine/ 15 minutes a day tops. Makes a big difference between when I do it and when I don't.

At 36, I see an analogous difference too. But for me it's not a pre-work out warm up that's increasingly important, but post-workout stretching / foam rolling / massage to avoid getting muscle tightness that just seems to linger if I'm not proactive.

Krogoth
Gerbil Elder

Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:04 pm

bitvector wrote:
steelcity_ballin wrote:

At 36, I see an analogous difference too. But for me it's not a pre-work out warm up that's increasingly important, but post-workout stretching / foam rolling / massage to avoid getting muscle tightness that just seems to linger if I'm not proactive.

For me, it takes longer for muscles to recover from a heavy workout and they are less tolerant to lactic acid build-up.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-750M V2 and Fractal Define R4 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B