Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: TR BBQ XVI 8/10/19 - Official Thread

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:50 pm

LoneWolf15 wrote:
Forge wrote:
zgirl - My daughter still waxes rhapsodical about the ribs I brought back last time, which considering her age and the number of years involved, is a pretty amazing endorsement.

Tell me you're actually coming this time.

Hey StarFalcon, btw; Does an Athlon 64 X2 5000+ bear any sentinemtal or vintage value to you? First .045 micron AMD cpu. If not, I figure it's a nice keychain.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess "yes", unless he has finally run out of space to store stuff. And a CPU chip is pretty small, so...

:wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:30 pm

Yeah, CPUs are very small, and very portable. Anything since ihs were introduced makes an awesome keychain, too.

I got some things I have to do with the bike (panniers and some sort of additional seat padding), but at least work/PTO is not in my way this year. As close as I can get to a promise.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

DragonDaddyBear
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:07 am

drfish wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
In attempts to fulfill one of Fish's desires, I've been trying to find thin-type glowsticks in a length between 2 inches (those failed miserably when we tried) and 8 inches (gets clogged in the cannon plumbing). I'm all ears for superior Google-fu, as everything I find in the 6 inch range be the fat ones with hooks, and unsuitable for potato insertion (from the potato's POV).

What if we try a different direction?

Could you paint them with glow in the dark paint? You could "charge" them up with a flashlight before sending them to their watery grave.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:21 am

Crap, wrong link!

I meant to share ones that were already glow in the dark: https://www.amazon.com/ACETECH-Airsoft- ... 07GWGG95F/

I've got a UV flashlight, so we could hit them with that first and then pour some down the barrel after the potato.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:46 am

DragonDaddyBear wrote:
drfish wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
In attempts to fulfill one of Fish's desires, I've been trying to find thin-type glowsticks in a length between 2 inches (those failed miserably when we tried) and 8 inches (gets clogged in the cannon plumbing). I'm all ears for superior Google-fu, as everything I find in the 6 inch range be the fat ones with hooks, and unsuitable for potato insertion (from the potato's POV).

What if we try a different direction?

Could you paint them with glow in the dark paint? You could "charge" them up with a flashlight before sending them to their watery grave.

Thats what my wife and I did with arrows while we were dating.

Starfalcon
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:30 pm

LoneWolf15 wrote:
Forge wrote:
zgirl - My daughter still waxes rhapsodical about the ribs I brought back last time, which considering her age and the number of years involved, is a pretty amazing endorsement.

Hey StarFalcon, btw; Does an Athlon 64 X2 5000+ bear any sentinemtal or vintage value to you? First .045 micron AMD cpu. If not, I figure it's a nice keychain.

Sure, I still have room left :D

Dposcorp
Silver subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:42 am

Starfalcon wrote:
LoneWolf15 wrote:
Forge wrote:

Sure, I still have room left :D

I think if someone was bringing an old data center to the BBQ, Starfalcon would still respond "Sure, I still have room left :D."

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:48 am

Dposcorp wrote:
I think if someone was bringing an old data center to the BBQ, Starfalcon would still respond "Sure, I still have room left :D."

LOL... we're removing a whole bunch of old gear from the DC at work. I don't think I am allowed to take any of it home though, so we won't get to test this theory. (Would be kind of tough to carry it home on the train anyway... I'd have to make a special trip downtown in my car.)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Mr. Robot
Gerbil

Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:34 pm

I expect to be in attendance again this year and plan to fulfill my niche of providing the upscale soft drinks.

I may also have a +1 this year, not confirmed yet but I'd say it's likely.

Looking forward to computer talk, good eats, and getting smoked in cornhole again. :roll:

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:03 pm

Forge wrote:

Wow! That is pretty crazy considering how long it has been. I will take that as a compliment.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:42 pm

I already know to whom I'm gifting the Wasson Cup this year (not that I've been a proper steward).
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:17 am

Thanks for your post in the other thread, Ned.

I want to take my cue from everyone here, because this has been on my mind as well and it seems especially important now, but I can't make the decision in a vacuum. A lot of crazy has gone down in the last few days but the BBQ is going to be exactly what it's always been and I'm looking forward to it now more than ever TBH. That said, the BBQ could be exactly what the new players need to be a part of in order to "get" the site. You guys know what I'm talking about, so I'll just pose the question, should I try to get John, John, Renee, and whoever else to come hang out with us? It's totally up to you guys, I understand either way.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:35 am

IMO the only way to get the new bosses to understand that TR is a community, not a commodity, is to get them to BBQ.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:01 am

I agree completely.

idchafee
Gold subscriber
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:31 am

I plan to come, probably no family without a lake :cry:
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:20 pm

idchafee wrote:
I plan to come, probably no family without a lake :cry:

We got plenty of lake, too much lake, take, we have lake. No beach, though.

I'm heading out there tomorrow to visit family and get some pictures. I'll post the one month warning post on the front page on Friday.

Dposcorp
Silver subscriber

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:49 pm

drfish wrote:
....................should I try to get John, John, Renee, and whoever else to come hang out with us? It's totally up to you guys, I understand either way.

Like all of you ive been around for a while, and this is the only site that does stuff like this. Definitively see if they can make it; I doubt they have worked with any other sites that do something like this.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:59 am

Let's talk tents. Last year, weather worries finally got me to have a tent setup out of an abundance of caution (as the CEOs say these days). It ended up being a pretty big hit even though we didn't need to use it for shelter from the rain. This year, the same "if it looks like it's going to rain I'll book it" logic applies, but I wonder if we should get it anyway? Was it popular enough? The same tent we got last year costs $320 to rent/have installed/taken down. There's no extra charge for delivery because the rental place is already coming to deliver the Bounce Castle that DragonDaddyBear so kindly sponsored.

If we need it for the weather, it's on me, it's my event after all and I need to protect it. However, if ~10 of you want to throw in ~$25-30, I can just book it in advance and not sweat it. Opinions?

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:33 am

Count me in for a donation rain or shine. Having additional places to get out of the sun was really nice.

Dposcorp
Silver subscriber

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:33 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Count me in for a donation rain or shine. Having additional places to get out of the sun was really nice.

Count me in as well for a few bucks..........im a big fan of insurance.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:54 pm

Yes, we have trophies:

Kids are getting medals again this year.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:01 pm

drfish wrote:
If we need it for the weather, it's on me, it's my event after all and I need to protect it. However, if ~10 of you want to throw in ~$25-30, I can just book it in advance and not sweat it. Opinions?

cuz i misplace things or forget them, what is your paypal email to send the financials into?
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:28 pm

I got all fancy and made a PayPal link. Not to discourage donations, but to keep things simpler, I'll just say that I'll get the tent no matter what happens. If we reach $320 I'll let everyone know. Thanks!

Dposcorp
Silver subscriber

Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:45 am

Thanks for the link; it took me all of 30 seconds to send you $20 for whatever you need it for.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:22 am

Thanks, man! And thank you to the others that have already pitched in. :)

Dposcorp
Silver subscriber

Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:28 am

drfish wrote:
Thanks, man! And thank you to the others that have already pitched in. :)

A no matter what you think, I did not post here to SHAME any other attendees into donating. <wink> <wink>

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:21 pm

This is mostly just a bump/reminder that I'd appreciate anyone who hasn't already confirmed that attendance status to let me know. We're getting close now, I'm mostly in coast mode since I'm taking the chill approach the BBQ again instead of making it a race to outdo myself like I used to. That said, I'm open to suggestions for whatever. :)

(I freaking wish Hot Threads was a thing so people would actually see this post, grumble, grumble)

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:23 pm

drfish wrote:
(I freaking wish Hot Threads was a thing so people would actually see this post, grumble, grumble)

Time for another main page post, then.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:45 pm

Getting close. I usually wait for a one week warning after the one month one. Probably should have done one at two weeks this year. Oh well.

I also usually do a couple posts about swag/prizes, but, uh, well, let's just say that I hope you're coming for the food and company this year. :x

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:53 pm

Any confirmed surprise attendees? :)