Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

BIF
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Decluttering in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:41 pm

It's time. It's long past time. :x :o I'm starting this thread because for me, success comes from asking questions.

One of my mantras is "clutter often masquerades as collections". I have a few of those I need to reduce or eliminate.

Here's the first one: Do any of you keep AC adapters around even after the original device is no longer present or functional? I can't remember ever being able to repurpose one of these, and I have to ask myself why I have a big box full of them. :-? And...can they be recycled?

And a related question: Do any of you keep old computer equipment or appliances around for any length of time?

I did at one time, but I found out that they don't always work again after being dormant for a few years. An embarrassing side-story...I tried to sell an old DVD+DVR and TV (separate components) at a garage sale about 3 years ago. The first lady asked me to power up the DVR. I said, "Sure!" Got an extension cord, plugged it into a known-working power socket in my garage, and... nothing. Oh, THAT's embarrassing! And then about an hour later, another lady asked about my TV; an old 30" Magnavox flat screen. Plugged it in, and... nothing!

Wow, two appliances DOA in the same day! I did check that wall socket again, just to be sure, and it was still good. I ended up recycling the DVR and I let the 2nd lady have the TV for free, and I even walked it to her SUV, which was filled to the top with...old TVs. Okay, that was a little creepy, but maybe she has a friend who likes to fix TVs?

So now I mostly don't keep electronics around after I'm done with them. That's the plan, anyway. Now, I have to figure out what to do with all these old cell phones and old laptop batteries...sheesh, where did all this junk come from? :o

chuckula
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Decluttering in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:44 pm

For many years I have fought the clutter.
For many years, I have lost.

But, slightly more on-topic: I generally don't keep wall-warts around if they don't have a device with them. The good news is that more & more devices are going to USB power where the wall warts can be used for multiple devices more easily.

I admit that I've kept computer junk around for too long (Core 2 Duo motherboard [with the chip still in it and the heatsink attached] I'm looking at you!) but I recommend finding a recycler that will take it from you instead of throwing it in the trash.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:08 pm

I usually keep the power brick in the same ziploc as the device (looking at you collection of old routers) what way I know what is what. It doesn’t hurt that I have an electronics store a block from my house that sells power bricks of every nature should I ever need (like I did for the Xbox hd-dvd external drive)

chuckula
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:10 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I usually keep the power brick in the same ziploc as the device (looking at you collection of old routers) what way I know what is what. It doesn’t hurt that I have an electronics store a block from my house that sells power bricks of every nature should I ever need (like I did for the Xbox hd-dvd external drive)

Rubber bands work well to keep device + brick together too.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60

BIF
Gold subscriber
Topic Author

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:30 pm

That's so funny Chuckula; I kept my own Core 2 Duo motherboard for about 6 years before I finally recycled it! Now after another mere 4 years or so, I'm finally getting rid of the motherboard, memory, and closed-loop water cooler that replaced the C2D system. So maybe I'm getting better? :P

All that stuff is in the box ready for the trip. I even found my old Sony Picturebook and spare batteries. The screen had emulsified and partially liquified while the unit stayed in storage (in my climate controlled laundry room, no less), yuck. But at least it wasn't liquidy when I touched it. I had to pull and break the hard drive in it, even though none of that stuff would probably even be readable today.

And truth be told, USACOMP2K3, I still have that collection of old routers (and DSL modems), but those will get recycled when my decluttering takes me into the laundry room where I keep the boxes of old computer equipment...er, the "categorized and filed" equipment, that is, which isn't the majority of computer equipment that can be found in nearly every room in my house. Right now I'm filling a box with old fans and stuff that might still work, but I'm only keeping the biggest fans. Anything tiny goes to the recycler.

DrCR
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:34 pm

Heh, I'm in the middle of a purge myself, and asking myself all the hard questions e.g. whether a binder edition of Falcon 4.0 is still worth keeping.

Seriously though, inevitability if don't check myself from being as aggressive as I now reactionarily tend to be, in the seemingly immediate future thereafter I'll end up having to spend $$$ I would not have otherwise.

chuckula, you'll be pleased to know the formerly yours GTX 770 is still trucking along, in active use, not collecting dust.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:38 pm

I emptied my two sheds after building a third. I have succeeded in organizing the tools, but the electronics still need to be gone through. It is an organized mess that needs to be ~75% thinned.

BIF
Gold subscriber
Topic Author

Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:38 pm

DrCR wrote:
Heh, I'm in the middle of a purge myself, and asking myself all the hard questions e.g. whether a binder edition of Falcon 4.0 is still worth keeping.
Oh sheesh, I thiink I still have one of those too. :o Does it still play?

Seriously though, inevitability if don't check myself from being as aggressive as I now reactionarily tend to be, in the seemingly immediate future thereafter I'll end up having to spend $$$ I would not have otherwise.
Not sure what you mean by this, but I find that the great majority of decluttering, for me at least, means that I need to give myself permission to give things away, recycle them, or put them into the trash. And I do mean the GREAT majority; like 85% plus.

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I emptied my two sheds after building a third. I have succeeded in organizing the tools, but the electronics still need to be gone through. It is an organized mess that needs to be ~75% thinned.
Well, I think this is a sign of good decluttering progress as long as the third shed doesn't have more than the cubic foot capacity of sheds 1 and 2 put together. And provided that you eventually remove sheds 1 and 2, of course. :lol:

Next Questions:
What do you do to manage things like owner's manuals and big purchase receipts/warranty information?

How long do you keep product boxes, for example a box for a computer motherboard or PSU, or say, the box for a new kitchen appliance? Do you do the same thing for huge boxes, such as those of big flat-screen TVs, grills, or exercise equipment?

For me, receipts will always be a problem. I'm terrible about saving the paper kinds unless they're from online purchases or like for Home Depot or Amazon, a copy arrives in my email inbox. I don't keep huge boxes (I will cut them down for use in the garage; they're great for keeping oil and chemicals from ending up on the floor), but the little ones (from a shaver, a router, a cooking tool, etc) tend to pile up until I decide to get after them like right now.

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:05 pm

BIF wrote:
Do any of you keep AC adapters around

And then, when I was given a router without its power brick, nothing in my collection matched.

Do any of you keep old computer equipment or appliances around for any length of time?

Appliances, only stuff I want to try to fix. PC gear is rarely broken, so some I try to give away, some I keep.

BIF wrote:
box for a computer motherboard or PSU

These are handy as storage boxes. But they're rare because I almost never buy new PC gear. :)

huge boxes, such as those of big flat-screen TVs

If there's enough storage room, sure. TVs are quite fragile.

BIF wrote:
What do you do to manage things like owner's manuals and big purchase receipts/warranty information?

That's the easy part, no? File in a folder/binder, or scan if you don't need a physical form and can't find a PDF.
Last edited by meerkt on Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DrCR
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:14 pm

BIF wrote:
DrCR wrote:
Not sure what you mean by this, but I find that the great majority of decluttering, for me at least, means that I need to give myself permission to give things away, recycle them, or put them into the trash. And I do mean the GREAT majority; like 85% plus.

I mean if I purge as readily as I'm now inclined (I find 'stuff' an encumbrance nowadays), I'm likely to be too aggressive and thereafter end up needing something I purged. I accordingly tend to stage e.g. maybes get put aside and later revisited (with the majority at that later time then being purged).

Re Falcon 4.0, I'm sure I could get it installed and running on a legacy box if I don't already have it installed on one. But realistically I'm never going to play it again nor something I'll ever want to share with the next generation, so it's getting the axe. Besides, iirc some company bought the IP and resold it with patches, so if it's still played in this era, I'd guess its probably from that product since iirc a lot of the community patches and addons where taken offline when the IP was purchased. I ever wanted to sim again, I'd probably pick up whatever latest offering from Eagle Dynamics.

chuckula
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:34 pm

DrCR wrote:

chuckula, you'll be pleased to know the formerly yours GTX 770 is still trucking along, in active use, not collecting dust.

W00t!!! I'm glad to hear it!

Since I sold off the GTX-1080 that replaced it (thanks mining boom), you have a substantially better graphics card than I do now :-P [Don't feel bad, I'm not gaming so it matters little].

SirReptitious
Gerbil In Training

Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:44 pm

So now I mostly don't keep electronics around after I'm done with them. That's the plan, anyway. Now, I have to figure out what to do with all these old cell phones and old laptop batteries...sheesh, where did all this junk come from? :o[/quote]
Bestbuy accepts most electronics items for recycling for free. I looked at their site again just now in case their policy had changed, and they now state they charge $25 for recycling monitors. It was free before. But for the items you mentioned, it should all be free.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:14 pm

I did a pretty major purge a few years ago, so there's much less cruft around here than there used to be. I do have the standard pile of old cables most of which I'll never use. I also have some paracord in there for some reason. I don't even remember why I bought it. I have a spare 8-port switch as well which I'll probably never need unless something dies. I kept the old NUC also even though I'll probably never use that again either. I tell myself that stuff doesn't count as cruft since it doesn't take up that much physical space.

I also have the box my current TV came in stuffed away in a closet. It's not even really what you'd call super-thin by today's standards, but the idea of moving and trying to pack that thing up again without having the box freaked me out enough to keep it. Smaller boxes I get rid of as soon as I'm sure whatever came in the box isn't DOA. If I was more into electronics I'd probably want to keep old power bricks so I could re-purpose them in some other project, but so far I haven't done that. Manuals get tossed pretty much immediately. I don't need no stinking manuals.

The house actually isn't so bad when it comes to clutter, but the woodshop is often a different story. There's all manners of anonymous, random crap in there. Usually it's around this time of year where I'll do a purge, and maybe take on a few shop projects to better organize things. That usually means raiding the scrap pile(building what I'm calling the Frankenbenches now), and bringing various project parts and other stuff home so it doesn't get in the way. The shop purge starts out more by redistributing the cruft than getting rid of it outright. Having more than one place to store cruft just tends to make it circulate from one place to another until I finally find a use for it or just toss it in the trash.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

G8torbyte
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:25 pm

BIF wrote:
It's time. It's long past time. :x :o I'm starting this thread because for me, success comes from asking questions.

One of my mantras is "clutter often masquerades as collections". I have a few of those I need to reduce or eliminate.

And a related question: Do any of you keep old computer equipment or appliances around for any length of time?

So now I mostly don't keep electronics around after I'm done with them. That's the plan, anyway. Now, I have to figure out what to do with all these old cell phones and old laptop batteries...sheesh, where did all this junk come from? :o

I tend to hold on to tech probably for too long. Especially PC hardware since I figure I might need it for rebuilds or helping friends/family/neighbors with upgrades and giving away the parts to them which I have often done. This is my basement PC building and bench testing area which my wife and kids refer to as my "mad scientist nerd cave" and it is getting too cluttered to move around easily:
On one of the shelves I still have P35, P45/G4x series, Z77/87/97 series and a few older AMD older boards. Some are the last of the Abit, DFI and Intel series boards and I've held for nostalgia but will I ever really use these again? I kept most of the items somewhat organized on shelves but more and more are ending up on the floor. I need to purge and de-clutter soon. I used to do this more frequently as a military member when new assignment orders came every 2,3 or 4 years it was moving time. I keep most of the original boxes and packaging for that reason when I packed valuable electronics and hauled it myself vs letting the moving company do it. Moving a household pretty much forces a good purge of stuff. Now that I've retired from active duty and work more permanently in civil service I'm "collecting" too much.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs and gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991
Current setups: X99 Command/Control Station and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

defaultluser
Gerbil

Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:55 pm

I used to have a clutter problem, until I bought my house ten years back.

I just got to the point where I couldn't fit my tech stuff in the closet I set aside for it, so I've been culling the herd for the last five years.

Old ISA and PCI cards from the 90s - tossed.

My Celeron 533A @ 800 on BH6 revision 1.0 with 256MB ram was eventually given to someone who maintains such old systems. I had fun flashing the firmware on the board to trick the voltage controller into going below 2.0v (not officially supported, but did work).

I really got my money's worth out of that old system. Firts I ad a Celeron 300a @450, then later added a 533A at 800. Board lasted me over a decade of active use, and nit was still running fine when I gave it away five years ago.

The Egg

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:45 am

BIF wrote:
Here's the first one: Do any of you keep AC adapters around even after the original device is no longer present or functional? I can't remember ever being able to repurpose one of these, and I have to ask myself why I have a big box full of them. :-? And...can they be recycled?

Yeah, these can be a big source of mess and clutter. Once they’re orphaned from the original device, the chances of you finding something with the exact connection, voltage, and polarity are slim to none. I dumped all of mine, aside from a couple 3-12v universals (which are a decent investment). It’s nice that alot of things are starting to standardize on USB, but that’s really only good in the ~5v range.

Best Buy will take nearly any small electronics for recycling at the service counter. Most of the time they don’t even glance in the bag though, so I’ve gotta wonder how much of it actually gets recycled....

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:54 am

My home office, the associated closet, and about half of the crawlspace is full of assorted electronics. Yes, a collection of wall wart power supplies is part of that. There are two extra microwaves, a plasma TV, and an unused freezer taking up space in the garage.

I probably have enough PC parts to assemble a half dozen functional systems, ranging in age from new (I have parts for a Ryzen build which I have not done yet) to ~20 years old (Super 7 era). There's also an IMSAI in the crawlspace somewhere.

There's also quite the assortment of home made fermented beverages in various stages of completion, in bottles, kegs, carboys, and buckets.

And 40+ years of collected LPs and CDs.

And the collection of old magazines (Byte, National Geographic, Scientific American, Zymurgy).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

The Egg

Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:35 am

chuckula wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I usually keep the power brick in the same ziploc as the device (looking at you collection of old routers) what way I know what is what.

Rubber bands work well to keep device + brick together too.

I always keep a jumbo box of rubber bands on hand. Also bought a labeler a couple years ago, and it’s made life alot easier. When I rewired the home theater setup last year, everything got a label, often on both ends of the cable. When I update my inventory spreadsheet, it will be getting heavy use again.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:25 am

I have a few spare AC adapters without devices but every one of them could power something I still have, should the need arise. Same voltage/current (or more)/polarity/dimensions. I just went through all that stuff. Got a couple of 100-packs of Velcro straps on Amazon for $10 each. I used all of one and part of another to wrap up every adapter, USB cable, and audio/video cable, and game controller I own.

It was worth it because nothing is tangled and it all fit into the box that one of my PC cases came in, along with some devices I still have and wanted to keep. I did throw out quite a bit when I did that.

My big project that needs tackling is a couple of bookshelves. I have one in particular where I set it up when we moved in (five and a half years ago) and have not touched a single book on it since. I might keep some but lots of those books need to go, since there’s more on the shelf than can fit standing upright. Books on top of books and I don’t want most of them. :lol:

Also, getting rid of clothes that don’t fit right. Stuff that is now two sizes bigger than what I currently wear needs to go.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:44 am

BIF wrote:
lol nah bruv no one here does this
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:48 am

BIF wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Well, I think this is a sign of good decluttering progress as long as the third shed doesn't have more than the cubic foot capacity of sheds 1 and 2 put together. And provided that you eventually remove sheds 1 and 2, of course. :lol:

Well not removing the two 8x10 sheds. One will be converted to yard tools like the mower and wheelbarrow that we’re just stored outside as well as storing the raw lumber. The second shed will be entirely shelved out for storing all the tools and supplies etc. the third shed which is 10x14 will be actually where I work, but will only store the large tools (drill press, table saw, radial arm saw, planer) in addition to the work benches. My done also has a corner of that for his own bench and his tools.

BIF
Gold subscriber
Topic Author

Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:26 am

SirReptitious wrote:
Bestbuy accepts most electronics items for recycling for free. I looked at their site again just now in case their policy had changed, and they now state they charge $25 for recycling monitors. It was free before. But for the items you mentioned, it should all be free.
Good to know, thanks!

Redocbew wrote:
...I also have the box my current TV came in stuffed away in a closet. It's not even really what you'd call super-thin by today's standards, but the idea of moving and trying to pack that thing up again without having the box freaked me out enough to keep it....
Yes, I still have my 52" TV box too, and it is probably about 8+ years old now. Mine is migratory, and currently moves from one side of the garage to the other. Same reason for me; it would be frightening to move it, even though I don't plan to move anytime soon. :-? I should probably cut it down by now, because the only place the TV would conceivably get moved to is from my greatroom to a bedroom. Or out to the curb (or Best Buy? ;) when it's finally kaput.

G8torbyte wrote:
...I kept most of the items somewhat organized on shelves but more and more are ending up on the floor. I need to purge and de-clutter soon. I used to do this more frequently as a military member when new assignment orders came every 2,3 or 4 years it was moving time. I keep most of the original boxes and packaging for that reason when I packed valuable electronics and hauled it myself vs letting the moving company do it. Moving a household pretty much forces a good purge of stuff. Now that I've retired from active duty and work more permanently in civil service I'm "collecting" too much.
I've often wondered if retired military members have these struggles too, or if they benefit from their training and discipline in the service; thanks for sharing. I also struggle with putting stuff on the floor. It's so easy to do, but then when my "collections" of stuff start to flow onto the floor, that's usually a good sign to me that I need to take stock and purge. Trouble is, I don't always listen to my own good advice. :(

defaultluser wrote:
I used to have a clutter problem, until I bought my house ten years back.

I just got to the point where I couldn't fit my tech stuff in the closet I set aside for it, so I've been culling the herd for the last five years.
This is the best way, really.

The Egg wrote:
Best Buy will take nearly any small electronics for recycling at the service counter. Most of the time they don’t even glance in the bag though, so I’ve gotta wonder how much of it actually gets recycled....
Best Buy would have a world of PR hurt if it ever came out that they were involved in a fraudulent or fake recycling plan. They probably would also be dinged hard if they did look in the bag and reject stuff, even if it were stuff that SHOULD be rejected. Sometimes customers are dumb about stuff, and they're proud to put it on display for the world. I'll bet Best Buy customer service people are under orders just to take everything and let somebody else sort it out behind closed doors. No bad Yelp reviews, no bad Tweets.

just brew it! wrote:
...There's also quite the assortment of home made fermented beverages in various stages of completion, in bottles, kegs, carboys, and buckets.
I don't know about all that other stuff, but beermaking projects are not clutter! :P

...And 40+ years of collected LPs and CDs.

And the collection of old magazines (Byte, National Geographic, Scientific American, Zymurgy).
This one is a rat's nest for me:

I have 4 boxes of LPs in a back closet. I haven't played any of them in 30 years. I also have about 700-800 music CDs, which I also don't play, since most of them have been ripped into iTunes.

I struggle with the idea of getting rid of CDs that I've ripped. Copyright and right vs. wrong issues that I haven't yet worked out in my conscience. And one day when I finally build a movie media server, I'll have that same ethical question for my movie collection. I really am starting to despise the idea of keeping any discs around in my house, but I don't want to be giving anybody money for streaming services.

Magazines are their own problem for me. I keep magazines WAY too long; sometimes for 2-3 years. I'm getting better about discarding computer and firearms magazines, because of the currency of the content. Now I get rid of them within 6 months or so after having read them. It's the home style and artsy magazines that I have trouble getting rid of; there's that whole creative thing going on there. And magazines with cooking recopies go into the kitchen, never to come back out. At least I go back into the cooking mags and use those from time to time. :)

derFunkenstein wrote:
...My big project that needs tackling is a couple of bookshelves. I have one in particular where I set it up when we moved in (five and a half years ago) and have not touched a single book on it since. I might keep some but lots of those books need to go, since there’s more on the shelf than can fit standing upright. Books on top of books and I don’t want most of them. :lol:
I used to have a book shelf that was 8 feet tall and about 16 feet wide. It was never enough room.

But in all that time, I started getting ebooks more often and getting rid of books that were no longer current. Who needs books on Oracle 9? Who needs books on TrueSpace, or the version of Quicken from 2001? Most of my old books just went to my local library in several donations of multiple boxes each. That's also when I really reduced my magazine collection by about 90%; mostly by way of recycling them.

Today, I have two bookshelves each about 3 feet wide by 4 feet tall; so I've reduced by about 80% total. I still have my old IBM/370 assembly language book from my bachelor degree studies. That one I keep for nostalgia, because I no longer code in my job, and if I did, it sure wouldn't be assembler. :P

Also, getting rid of clothes that don’t fit right. Stuff that is now two sizes bigger than what I currently wear needs to go.
Just before Thanksgiving, I was in my master br closet thinking that it was way too hard to find a pair of jeans that fit me. So I went through ALL of my jeans, pulling out anything that was too small or too old or out of style (was there a day when I actually bought Jordache jeans? For shame!) to give to Goodwill. I quickly decided I needed to get a bigger box.

When I finally closed the (bigger) box and put it into the car for the trip to Goodwill, I counted them. 52 pairs of jeans! No wonder I couldn't find anything to wear!

I do still have my ties...probably about 65 of those. I still wear a shirt and tie from time to time, and I still wear even some of my oldest ties from 1987 all the way up to those I bought just a couple years ago, so I'm not ready to cull my ties just yet.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:39 am

BIF wrote:
Just before Thanksgiving, I was in my master br closet thinking that it was way too hard to find a pair of jeans that fit me. So I went through ALL of my jeans, pulling out anything that was too small or too old or out of style (was there a day when I actually bought Jordache jeans? For shame!) to give to Goodwill. I quickly decided I needed to get a bigger box.

When I finally closed the (bigger) box and put it into the car for the trip to Goodwill, I counted them. 52 pairs of jeans! No wonder I couldn't find anything to wear!

I do still have my ties...probably about 65 of those. I still wear a shirt and tie from time to time, and I still wear even some of my oldest ties from 1987 all the way up to those I bought just a couple years ago, so I'm not ready to cull my ties just yet.

FIFTY-TWO PAIR OF JEANS, BIF? FIFTY-TWO?
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:12 pm

BIF wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
...There's also quite the assortment of home made fermented beverages in various stages of completion, in bottles, kegs, carboys, and buckets.

I don't know about all that other stuff, but beermaking projects are not clutter! :P

They are when you start tripping over them because they are a major contributing factor to the general mess in the basement!

BIF wrote:
I have 4 boxes of LPs in a back closet. I haven't played any of them in 30 years. I also have about 700-800 music CDs, which I also don't play, since most of them have been ripped into iTunes.

I struggle with the idea of getting rid of CDs that I've ripped. Copyright and right vs. wrong issues that I haven't yet worked out in my conscience. And one day when I finally build a movie media server, I'll have that same ethical question for my movie collection. I really am starting to despise the idea of keeping any discs around in my house, but I don't want to be giving anybody money for streaming services.

I figure as long as I listen to the rips, I am ethically obligated to not sell off the physical media. The only stuff I've gotten rid of has been duplicates from when my wife and I got married and merged our music collections.

BIF wrote:
Magazines are their own problem for me. I keep magazines WAY too long; sometimes for 2-3 years. I'm getting better about discarding computer and firearms magazines, because of the currency of the content. Now I get rid of them within 6 months or so after having read them. It's the home style and artsy magazines that I have trouble getting rid of; there's that whole creative thing going on there. And magazines with cooking recopies go into the kitchen, never to come back out. At least I go back into the cooking mags and use those from time to time. :)

The problem with the old issues of Byte is that they long ago crossed from "not useful any more" to "potential collector's item" status, so I am reluctant to get rid of them! :lol:

BIF wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
...My big project that needs tackling is a couple of bookshelves. I have one in particular where I set it up when we moved in (five and a half years ago) and have not touched a single book on it since. I might keep some but lots of those books need to go, since there’s more on the shelf than can fit standing upright. Books on top of books and I don’t want most of them. :lol:

I used to have a book shelf that was 8 feet tall and about 16 feet wide. It was never enough room.

I am staring at the bookshelf in the corner of my office right now. There hasn't been a path to that set of shelves for at least half a decade (piles of crap in the way). The stuff on the top shelf appears to be even older -- couple of boxes for Socket AM2 motherboards, and underneath those a couple of unmarked cardboard boxes I suspect may contain floppy disks.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:32 pm

For my cd’s and dvd’s I pht them in binders after I rip them and toss the original cases. I highly recommend these(we have three)

Artisan 240 Disc Black Faux Leather DVD Album for 120 Liner Notes & Title Cover Page Capacity Using Metal Ring Binder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F2U5JS/re ... tCb7Y1NA59

For cd’s and the kids Movies I don’t keep the insert. I just use these:

AmazonBasics Nylon CD/DVD Binder... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DIHVMEA?re ... b_ap_share

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:39 pm

BIF wrote:
I have 4 boxes of LPs in a back closet. I haven't played any of them in 30 years.

Bring them to BBQ 2019 and we can haggle.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:42 pm

I don't think I've owned 52 pairs of jeans in my adult life :o

After 2 moves in a year, I'm significantly decluttered and happier about it.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

G8torbyte
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:58 pm

DancinJack wrote:
BIF wrote:

FIFTY-TWO PAIR OF JEANS, BIF? FIFTY-TWO?

There's 52 weeks in a year so he had that covered :wink:
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs and gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991
Current setups: X99 Command/Control Station and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:46 pm

BIF wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

But in all that time, I started getting ebooks more often and getting rid of books that were no longer current. Who needs books on Oracle 9? Who needs books on TrueSpace, or the version of Quicken from 2001? Most of my old books just went to my local library in several donations of multiple boxes each. That's also when I really reduced my magazine collection by about 90%; mostly by way of recycling them.

That's the kind of garbage that's on my shelves (which for the record are only 72" tall and 30" wide), too. The book I used to take the A+ exam in 2001 and a couple of books I used to study for some Microsoft cert exams for Windows XP are probably the biggest offenders. Lots of cookbooks, too. I should scan the recipes I want (since I have a scanner) and dump the books via donation.

BTW, based on this thread, you might be a candidate for Hoarders. :lol: :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

BIF
Gold subscriber
Topic Author

Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:32 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
...Lots of cookbooks, too. I should scan the recipes I want (since I have a scanner) and dump the books via donation.
I keep promising myself I'll scan recipes, but I never ever do that. I haven't even done that for one single recipe! So now I just try to get these main things out of every recipe that I cook:

1. What kind and size of meat, fish, or poultry did I use?
    2. Given the cooking method (oven, grill, fry pan, dutch oven, "other"), what was the temperature and cooking time needed for the meat?
    3. What kind and size of veggies or potatoes did I use?
    4. What was the temperature and cooking time needed for the veggies?
    5. For "big pot" or "single pan" recipes, does the meat need to go onto the heat first, or the veggies, and is there a temperature change needed partway through the cooking?

Usually if I cook something from a recipe a couple times and I think I can get 4 of those 5 things right, then I can actually throw away the recipe.

BTW, based on this thread, you might be a candidate for Hoarders. :lol: :lol:

Hah! Never saw it. I'm sure it's fake reality TV and I don't get television, mostly because Hollywood media is so toxic and I'm unwilling to watch people debase themselves. And I sure wouldn't do it to myself, either. I much prefer to share my struggles in my own way, so that they may help myself and others through conversation and self analysis.

And really, who needs a producer trying to amp up the dumbest drama for ratings when the problem is no more complicated than the fact that we need to man up a little more often and just throw some stuff away?