Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

chuckula
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Chuckula's Cheesy Sauce Recipe

Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:27 pm

This is a very imprecise but generally workable recipe for making a sous vide cheese sauce that's quite good for use in mac-n-cheese or other recipes (cheesy scalloped potatoes is one example).

If you don't know what sous vide is, it's pretty cool but I won't fully explain it in this post. I suggest you start here: https://www.cooksillustrated.com/articl ... -explained

There's a million more websites & youtube videos that can explain it in further detail too.

Ingredients [units are intentionally vague unless specified and you can scale as needed]!

Cheese: 12 - 16 oz, preferably extra sharp cheddar and you can mix in other types as you like (experimentation is great!)

Milk: 1 cup, although you can use less or more depending on the consistency you want (The moo quantity is inversely related to the thickness)

Spices [the melting salts are important for getting it ultra smooth]:
1 Tsp sodium citrate melting salt [Tsp means tea spoon here (smaller), not table spoon (larger)]
1/2 Tsp sodium hexametaphosphate melting salt.
1 Tsp regular salt
Black pepper to taste

Mac-n-Cheese specific ingrediants:
Butter (1/2 stick) [Sour cream will probably work OK too... never tried it personally, just an idea]
Mustard powder to taste

Equipment

1. The sous vide circulator & container for water bath
2. Plastic bag large enough to be used for the sous vide process, I recommend vacuum-sealed bags.
3. Knife & measuring cups as needed for measuring & prepping ingredients.
4. A blender for the final step.

Preparation:

1. Get your sous vide water bath temp: 167F (75C)
If you don't have a sous vide machine, I recommend a Prescott Pentium IV or a 5000 series GeForce

2. Chop cheese into small pieces or shred (make lots of surface area for heating & mixing).

3. Chop butter into small pieces too.

4. Place all ingredients in plastic bag and seal (I recommend vacuum sealing). Manipulate the bag to make sure everything mixes together, and especially making the spices dissolve as much as practical. You can even mix the spices in the milk in a measuring cup prior to adding to the bag.

5. Put the bag in the sous vide water bath for 15 - 20 minutes. It can probably go half an hour without issues, but unlike other sous vide recipes, longer is not necessarily better due to the breakdown of dairy in heat. After heating, the cheese is generally gloppy melted but prior to blending you will not have a fully mixed sauce.

6. Take the bag out, (careful, it's hot), cut the top enough to enable pouring, and pour the full contents into your blender. Be sure to get melted cheese and potentially any extra melting salts into the blender. Then blend it on up (it won't take too long) and you'll get an extremely smooth and real cheese sauce that will have great flavor.

My recipe is adapted from this one for Nacho Cheese, which is also quite good (different spices & some jalapenos along with potentially a different cheese choice are the biggest difference)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaMH-2P4bnA
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Re: Chuckula's Cheesy Sauce Recipe

Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:16 am

Serve with chips (preferably Intel).

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:12 am

A sous vide water bath is also excellent for maintaining fermentation temperature of beer when using oddball high temperature strains of brewers yeast: https://omegayeast.com/yeast/norwegian-ales/voss-kveik

Enables you to ferment the beer out in as little as a couple of days. TBH I've used my sous vide for fermenting beer as much as I have used it to cook food! :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Mr Bill
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:42 pm

Thanks Chuckula! I will give this a try.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:48 pm

Chucky's Cheese?

kvndoom
Silver subscriber

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:57 pm

The Egg wrote:
Chucky's Cheese?

Funnily, I just learned this week that the chain was founded by the founder of Atari.

I don't think "Rick Rat's Pizza" would have gotten much market penetration though. :oops:
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

The Egg

Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:15 pm

kvndoom wrote:
The Egg wrote:
Chucky's Cheese?

Funnily, I just learned this week that the chain was founded by the founder of Atari.

I don't think "Rick Rat's Pizza" would have gotten much market penetration though. :oops:

I still think of them as Showbiz Pizza. The animatronics always gave me the paradoxical feeling of high interest/curiosity and being creeped out at the same time.

chuckula
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:20 pm

The Egg wrote:
kvndoom wrote:
The Egg wrote:
Chucky's Cheese?

I still think of them as Showbiz Pizza. The animatronics always gave me the paradoxical feeling of high interest/curiosity and being creeped out at the same time.

I still remember my 5th birthday at Showbiz Pizza!
Animatronic band + Star Wars* cockpit arcade game FTW!

* It was such a simple time that the game was literally just called Star Wars. No need for colon and subtitle. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wa ... video_game)
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60

DPete27
Silver subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:56 pm

You need both kinds of melting salts? Dang, I thought I'd only need one.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

chuckula
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:34 pm

DPete27 wrote:
You need both kinds of melting salts? Dang, I thought I'd only need one.

You can use just one. This is just my recipe. A larger amount of either one works.

DPete27
Silver subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:18 pm

Which is better?
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:57 pm

chuckula wrote:

* It was such a simple time that the game was literally just called Star Wars. No need for colon and subtitle. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wa ... video_game)

Ah, that explains much, given that I was of legal drinking age when that game came out. I'd love to have that cabinet (sit-down only) in the house, but prices on ones that actually work and haven't blown out the monitor are Powerball-only.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

DragonDaddyBear
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:04 pm

I vote Chuckula brings this to the next BBQ!

chuckula
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:10 pm

DragonDaddyBear wrote:
I vote Chuckula brings this to the next BBQ!

I've never been able to go, but I did send thread rippers to one as prizes once.

(No really I did. There were literal thread rippers)

But if I go, I promise to bring some or even try to make it on-site.

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:07 am

I've always been a bit scared to use a sous vide for actual steak because it might not kill all the tiny stuff, but using it for mac n cheese sounds interesting!

DragonDaddyBear
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:51 am

chuckula wrote:
I've never been able to go...

The last two years I've used it as a vacation opportunity and an excuse for a very extended motorcycle ride. Totally worth it if you can attend.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 am

jihadjoe wrote:
I've always been a bit scared to use a sous vide for actual steak because it might not kill all the tiny stuff, but using it for mac n cheese sounds interesting!

Pffft... risk of E coli infection from beef is overblown. Sure, it can happen (with dire consequences), but I've been eating medium rare burgers for at least half of my life and i'm still here, so how risky can it be?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

The Egg

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:44 am

just brew it! wrote:
jihadjoe wrote:

Pffft... risk of E coli infection from beef is overblown. Sure, it can happen (with dire consequences), but I've been eating medium rare burgers for at least half of my life and i'm still here, so how risky can it be?

I'd be more concerned about parasites and such. Seen too many scary TV shows. I once had Steak Tartare (not knowing what it was), and it had me anxious for a bit.

The Egg

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:47 am

Captain Ned wrote:
chuckula wrote:

Ah, that explains much, given that I was of legal drinking age when that game came out. I'd love to have that cabinet (sit-down only) in the house, but prices on ones that actually work and haven't blown out the monitor are Powerball-only.

Never played it, unfortunately. The Galloping Ghost arcade is very close to me though, and according to their website, they have one.

superjawes
Gold subscriber

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:48 am

just brew it! wrote:
jihadjoe wrote:

IIRC, the "safe to eat" temperatures recommended by the FDA are based on relatively short cooking times (counting in minutes). The (relatively) lower temperatures used in sous vide will still kill all bacteria so long as you leave it in there long enough (hours). I've even seen a sous vide recipe for "safe to eat" cookie dough where you effectively pasteurize the eggs without cooking them.

Also, the dangerous bacteria found in steaks (or any solid beef cut) is only going to be on the surface, but you cover that by salting the meat before cooking and searing it before serving.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

cynan
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:54 am

superjawes wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
jihadjoe wrote:

IIRC, the "safe to eat" temperatures recommended by the FDA are based on relatively short cooking times (counting in minutes). The (relatively) lower temperatures used in sous vide will still kill all bacteria so long as you leave it in there long enough (hours). I've even seen a sous vide recipe for "safe to eat" cookie dough where you effectively pasteurize the eggs without cooking them.

Also, the dangerous bacteria found in steaks (or any solid beef cut) is only going to be on the surface, but you cover that by salting the meat before cooking and searing it before serving.

Also, many sous vide steak protocols involve flash searing and, at least for whole meat, the vast majority of bacteria is likely to be on the outside.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:59 am

As long as it hasn't been "mechanically tenderized" where it pushes those surface bacteria deep in to the meat.