Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

hiki
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Toms Hardware going down to the bin can

Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:05 pm

Toms hardware is suppressing comments on his articles. That's the typical attitude of websites oriented to put propaganda on their readers, not willing to deal with criticism.

It's unfortunate. Probably the consequence of being purchased by Purch. So sad. I don't have an alternative source for benchmark data, and his GPU and CPU hierarchy table...

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Toms Hardware going down to the bin can

Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:55 pm

People have been saying this for 15 years. I find all my needed info here. Quit there and H about the same time.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:00 pm

I actually thought that quality of the articles at Tom's had improved in the past decade. I don't visit there very often. It was even longer ago that Kyle banned me from the [H], and I have only been back there following links from TR.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:32 pm

Tom’s Hardware hasn’t been a reliable source of information for 15 years easy, maybe 20. Haven’t been there in ages. If you hadn’t posted here I may not have remembered it existed :lol:

All I remember from Tom’s Is a video where they smoked a bunch of CPUs, and a series of pics with hot chicks dressed like Santa holding computer hardware. Actual reviews? That’s why I’m here.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:21 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
I actually thought that quality of the articles at Tom's had improved in the past decade. I don't visit there very often. It was even longer ago that Kyle banned me from the [H], and I have only been back there following links from TR.

THG now operates more like a bunch of independent writers who publish under the THG umbrella. Some authors are excellent with in-depth testing and correlate with every other independent review on the web. Other articles are trash/sponsored/lies/shallow.

It's reasonably obvious which articles to avoid like the plague, but with so many other places to get impartial reviews, the blanket advice to avoid it altogether seems wise.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:24 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:

Heh, most would consider a ban from [H] a badge of honor my friend. Wear that with pride ! :)
AMD Ryzen R5 2600x, Asus Prime x470 Pro, Sapphire Nitro Fury 4GB, HP EX920 512GB NVMe SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 4TB WD Red HDD, Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Win 10 Pro

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:57 am

It's hard to any lower in quality than it was for a while. They were trash after they got bought out. They've gotten better but still can't hold a candle to TR. And are they not owned by the same company that now owns Anandtech?

This just reminds me that TR is independent and how happy I am to support it.

fomamok
Gerbil In Training

Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:19 am

unfortunately tech report doesn't have Tomshardware GPU and CPU hierarchy, and the comparative performance, periodically updated, which allows making this type of chart:

(I'm not allowed to post links)

i.imgur.com/tiCDKVK.png

i.imgur.com/jb59uEr.png

And, most important, this combined chart

i.imgur.com/pG2ifr9.png
Last edited by fomamok on Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:26 am

DragonDaddyBear wrote:
It's hard to any lower in quality than it was for a while. They were trash after they got bought out. They've gotten better but still can't hold a candle to TR. And are they not owned by the same company that now owns Anandtech?

This just reminds me that TR is independent and how happy I am to support it.

Has THG done more than 5 reviews this year?

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:27 am

I actually went back to Toms for their forums. With their new forum/comments update, it seems forum traffic has decreased slightly, but still much more busy than TR forums (even if 75% of it is stuff people could easily google in 30 seconds or find in a System Guide).

I wouldn't say their old forum software was good, but the new one is a downgrade. I HATE the 3-5 second delay from clicking anything in the forum until the site actually responds.

I do like the GPU/CPU hierarchy tables.
I also like that they test a lot of GPUs (through a few generations) in their reviews. Makes it easier than having to string together 3-5 TR scatter plots.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:58 am

Maybe you guys should take another look. Tom's has been putting out some really great reviews over the past few years. Really, really detailed power analysis on a few big items over that time. They're very much better than they used to be. Ignore the BS, just use the data.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:14 pm

I don't get this thread. It was much more appropriate in 2005 when they were legitimately terrible. These days they're my second source for info. And really, a primary source on a lot of things.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:35 pm

THG isn't nearly as bad since the typical suspects have gone onto greener pastures. These days, it is about on par with Anand. THG has the resources to do more extensive comparisons and tests on various platforms.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:51 pm

Bad design and poor performance is enough for me to take a pass. I don't know about the actual content.

The THG forums I find bad both in design and content. While Anandtech's forum upgrade was in actuality a downgrade, it's still nowhere as bad as THG.

DPete27 wrote:
still much more busy than TR forums

A disadvantage in many cases. A whole bunch of everchanging random people and brief throwaway discussions (usually a stretch to call them "discussions").
In Small+ to Medium- forums there's time for threads to stay visible and active, and you can recognize people.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:03 pm

meerkt wrote:
Bad design and poor performance is enough for me to take a pass. I don't know about the actual content.

I will endorse this wholeheartedly. The site design is so awful. However, people should really look at their reviews. Seriously, they're not bad.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:17 pm

E.g., I just love vertical space being taken by static elements:

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:51 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I don't get this thread. It was much more appropriate in 2005 when they were legitimately terrible. These days they're my second source for info. And really, a primary source on a lot of things.

I don't really visit there so I don't know the quality of comments before, but there have been places that disabled comments because regular posters were either cancerous themselves or couldn't stop themselves from crapping up a thread by continually responding to trolls. Anyone familiar with their fora who can comment?
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Rand
Gerbil

Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:51 pm

I find that THG has actually improved the last 5yrs or so. It's just incredibly inconsistent. There are tons of outright garbage published, but you can find some genuinely excellent writing there. Their PSU reviews are quality stuff for example.
The sites UI is just so painfully abysmal and advert packed that it's rarely worth visiting to actually look through and find the good stuff. I have no idea about suppressing comments, but given the sheer amount of advertorials published it wouldn't surprise me if they get a ton of negative commentary. (Incidentally, if we're talking about censoring criticism HardOCP does that worse then anyone imo)

THG is a site to visit when you're linked to one of their excellent articles, not a site to be visited regularly.
Last edited by Rand on Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:21 pm

bthylafh wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

I don't really visit there so I don't know the quality of comments before, but there have been places that disabled comments because regular posters were either cancerous themselves or couldn't stop themselves from crapping up a thread by continually responding to trolls. Anyone familiar with their fora who can comment?

I'm not registered for comments or forum there so I have done well to avoid them. It's quite possible that the community sections are pus pockets. I was talking strictly about the long-form content. TR has a lot of reviews, but it has a lot of gaps, so I needed to fill a void. No RTX 2060 review, for example. Nothing on 9th-generation CPUs outside of the 9900K and some results for the 9700K. Lower-end CPUs and graphics cards are lacking here, and Tom's gets all that stuff.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:29 pm

Rand wrote:
I find that THG has actually improved the last 5yrs or so. It's just incredibly inconsistent. There are tons of outright published, but you can find some genuinely excellent writing there. Their PSU reviews are quality stuff for example.
The sites UI is just so painfully abysmal and advert packed that it's rarely worth visiting to actually look through and find the good stuff. I have no idea about suppressing comments, but given the sheer amount of advertorials published it wouldn't surprise me if they get a ton of negative commentary. (Incidentally, if we're talking about censoring criticism HardOCP does that worse then anyone imo)

THG is a site to visit when you're linked to one of their excellent articles, not a site to be visited regularly.

this could not be more spot on with my thoughts (read: these facts).

ls_milkyway
Gerbil In Training

Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:38 am

Hi Everyone!

i had worst experience at TH ....what I found and concluded: most of the TH members are gang of selfish/private system builders who are only there to post their (or company's) ADS.
Worst part is that they are RUDE (they will indirectly insult you by using double meaning words if you do not agree with them....and more worse is .....if you try to hit them back indirectly/directly....they will bring in their high ranked friends ...i.e. biased moderators)......try to push you psychologically (by bringing in their friends to favor their posts on a topic) towards their selfish motives.....this certainly defeats sole purpose of a healthy forum i.e. to share your ideas & knowledge with an objective to sharpen your practical skills.

Finally, most worst part is ....if somehow (with all your efforts) you are able to prove ......that all of them are wrong........they will try to convince you that TH users can be anyone and are not linked to TH anyway....they will also discredit other web links (of well reputed brand/ companies) as garbage and can even remove those links...later without your knowledge in order to hide their carelessness or selfish motives.

Here is the opinion of member of outervision.

Hi,

This is not the first time some of the TH users bash our calculator. Frankly I'm not surprised as there is a number of pcpartpicker "supporters/advertisers" on TH that will discard anything but their own interests. TH often deletes posts that contain links to our PSU calculator but surely promotes pcpartpicker. Wonder why?

Our PSU calculator adds additional 50W to the load value. Also, the premise of the calculation is based on ALL components being under 100% load which happens rarely but still does is specific cases. I doubt the user you are referring to was able to 100% load all of his/her components.

Btw, we worked closely with scientists from Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory on their gaming power consumption project and they found our calculator to be very accurate.

Best Regards,
Axel

Also have a look at this TH thread:
forums.tomshardware.com/threads/will-my-psu-enough.3664864/#post-22088567