Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Ad mining

Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:18 pm

It just came to my attention that websites using java script miners to generate cash while you're on the site is a thing.

I've been thinking about some of the details involved. Unless you're aware of it, they can use as many resources as they want and you would never know or just think the site is slow. Unlike normal ads which are mostly annoying, this is directly consuming the viewers power for revenue. People with more capable power hungry systems will essentially pay more to use these sorts of sites. They are still blockable but it's not as obvious whether or not that's working.

Careful consideration needs to be given to leaving tabs open if you aren't sure of whether or not they're using your resources now.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: Ad mining

Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:27 pm

This has actually been a thing for a few years now. Reputable sites make an effort to block them, but a few still slip through occasionally.

I do keep an eye on CPU usage on my home desktop. If I notice the browser consuming lots of CPU, I close tabs until the issue goes away (or just nuke the entire browser process if I don't have tabs open that I care about).

On laptops, the fan ramping up and/or excessive battery drain is a big clue that something is amiss.

I figure most of the time it is probably just badly coded web pages and ads... but I wouldn't be surprised if I've inadvertently run a few of these miner scripts for short periods of time.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:44 pm

thinking back i've had issues with game stutter with my browser open in the background although i can't remember which sites. I'd guess i've spent some diesel and alternator time for them unwittingly.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:57 pm

It's not uncommon for the payload of some malware to contain a miner also. I've even heard of non-PC devices like standalone media encoders targeted by miners.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Yan
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:40 pm

These sites use the CPU or GPU to mine. I think most of us would notice if the CPU or GPU usage suddenly went to 100 %, if only because of the noise from the fans.

You can try running an actual mining program to see what happens. You notice. ;-)

synthtel2
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:54 pm

I would guess most of them won't go to 100% just because it does draw too much attention.

DrDominodog51
Gerbil Elite

Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:50 am

Another forum I frequent was hacked ~1 year ago and had one these JavaScript miners put on it. The admins removed the miner, but the miner was promptly reinstalled. I forget what specific forum software was being run, but I remember that it was proprietary and the version was nearly a decade out of support.

The admins ended up having to migrate to a completely different forum software. Over a decade of old and valuable forum links were broken from this transition. :cry:
A10-7850K; GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16 GB of 2400MHz DDR3, 500 GB Team Group L5 SSD