Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Karate championship -- what's up with the gloves?

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:42 pm

I'm watching martial arts championships from years gone by -- karate, kung fu, and taekwondo specifically -- and it seems that some time in the 2000s the sport changed from fighters going at it au natural, to wearing protective covers on their hands and feet. Why is that? Why not just fight without props? I can't seem to google my way to an answer and thought maybe someone here would know the history and reason.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Karate championship -- what's up with the gloves?

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:38 am

Probably to avoid minor scratches and injuries from contaminating the floor with blood, which would require nanny-state cleanup squads to interrupt the flow of the tournament. These days it's all about advertising revenue and the less appealing the end result is to TV broadcasters, the less money comes in from sponsors.

Other sports have had rule-changes to make them more appealing for TV, so it's nothing new.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:01 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
Probably to avoid minor scratches and injuries from contaminating the floor with blood, which would require nanny-state cleanup squads to interrupt the flow of the tournament. These days it's all about advertising revenue and the less appealing the end result is to TV broadcasters, the less money comes in from sponsors.

Other sports have had rule-changes to make them more appealing for TV, so it's nothing new.

Basically this. The idea is to avoid injuries to the hands and feet, and also to try and minimize injuries to the face. Tournament sparring is also a huge draw for kids, and parents tend to balk at seeing their kids bloodied up in a match.

Ironically, all of that padding can actually be very counter-productive especially for children. You avoid cuts and busted knuckles - but at the same time you significantly increase the amount of force that people are willing to trade; and you increase the amount of rotational force that can be applied to the head. That is, the padding can sort of "catch" on the head and force it to turn, much more so than a bare fist would; and the rotation of the skull is actually more dangerous over time than the cuts and bruises you're avoiding with the pads. It's even worse when they wear those padded helmets.

It's the same reason that MMA is ultimately safer than boxing... people get blooded up a lot more, and maybe break a bone or tear something... but boxers end up with brain damage. The gloves allow them to punch much harder, and transfer a lot more of that energy to the brain.

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:17 pm

You don't need gloves to be The Best [wait for it] Around!
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.