Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

chuckula
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

2 TILs about our pal Jeff Kampman

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:09 am

So two interesting tidbits from listening to chirping birds:

1. Our pal Jeff is going to be doing a podcast with Ashraf Eassa, who is a well-known industry analyst. That should be fun and I'd like to know more details.

2. Jeff has taken the plunge into sous vide cooking! AWESOME!
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: 2 TILs about our pal Jeff Kampman

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:52 am

chuckula wrote:

Is it wrong that I've used my sous vide as much for beer fermenting (with newly discovered high temperature yeast strains) as I have for cooking food? :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Concupiscence
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:09 am

just brew it! wrote:
chuckula wrote:

Is it wrong that I've used my sous vide as much for beer fermenting (with newly discovered high temperature yeast strains) as I have for cooking food? :lol:

Wrong? Brew, that is *brilliant.*
Work: Core i9 7940x, 32 gigs RAM, Vega 56, Windows 10 Pro
Play: Ryzen 7 1700, 16 gigs RAM, GTX Titan Xm, Ubuntu 18.04
Why?: Phenom X3 B75, 4 gigs RAM, GTX 760, Xubuntu 18.04

chuckula
Gold subscriber
Topic Author

Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:13 am

just brew it! wrote:
chuckula wrote:

Normally I'd say yes. But when your handle is Just Brew It! then I would expect nothing less!
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:20 pm

Sous vide as a hobby or as a career??
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:08 am

anotherengineer wrote:

why not both?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:17 am

just brew it! wrote:
chuckula wrote:

Amazing, and here I've been using mine to test heat sinks like a fool!
TR BBQ XVI is happening 8/10/19.

Rand
Gold subscriber
Gerbil

Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:12 am

I'm not usually one for podcasts but Ashraf Eassa has always come across as very intelligent and well informed, so seeing him do one with Jeff Kampman could be interesting.

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:16 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
anotherengineer wrote:

why not both?

I believe there is some 6 michelin tire chef in vegas somewhere that sous vides steaks in butter then throws them on a grill to finish. Not sure if it has any merit to it. I think cooking has a massive amount of anecdotal "knowledge" in it. Though, it certainly can't be that bad!!!

Arvald
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:40 am

just brew it! wrote:
chuckula wrote:

Interested in hearing your views.
I did a root beer porter with Hornindale Kveik (from Escarpment Labs) and it is just finished carbonating. Fermented out in under 2 days :o

chuckula
Gold subscriber
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:42 am

shaq_mobile wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
anotherengineer wrote:

why not both?

I believe there is some 6 michelin tire chef in vegas somewhere that sous vides steaks in butter then throws them on a grill to finish. Not sure if it has any merit to it. I think cooking has a massive amount of anecdotal "knowledge" in it. Though, it certainly can't be that bad!!!

Look up the "sous vide everything" channel on YouTube. Not a Michelin star chef, but very entertaining and he makes some awesome looking food.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:45 am

shaq_mobile wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
anotherengineer wrote:

why not both?

I haven't tried it, but I've wondered about sous vide confit, bag of oil and food being warmed by circulating water. Seems like a good idea.
TR BBQ XVI is happening 8/10/19.

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:02 pm

yeah i guess my main concern would be the fat bonding with any flavor in the meat. ive seen a few youtube channels try sous vide in butter, and they said it came out tasting less like the original meat. but if you took a lean, cheap cut, then overseasoned the butter, i'm sure itd be fine. i think sous vide'ing steaks is not exactly the purpose, right? dry steaks arent usually an issue if you are doing a good enough job.

i guess you could try and make a brown sauce with the leftover butter and try to reincorporate the flavor. i mean as long as you arent par boiling, there's always a solution. ;)

chuckula
Gold subscriber
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:08 pm

shaq_mobile wrote:
yeah i guess my main concern would be the fat bonding with any flavor in the meat. ive seen a few youtube channels try sous vide in butter, and they said it came out tasting less like the original meat. but if you took a lean, cheap cut, then overseasoned the butter, i'm sure itd be fine. i think sous vide'ing steaks is not exactly the purpose, right? dry steaks arent usually an issue if you are doing a good enough job.

i guess you could try and make a brown sauce with the leftover butter and try to reincorporate the flavor. i mean as long as you arent par boiling, there's always a solution. ;)

I've heard similar things. Part of it might be that the relatively short cook times for a steak done conventionally only allows the butter to brown on the exterior, but the protracted sous vide process allows for too much interaction between the butter and the meat.

Another point that the experts know when it comes to meat: It will come out of the sous vide cooked but looking pretty awful. The post sous vide browning process is critical to giving the meat the look & external texture you want.

superjawes

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:20 pm

I've also seen the "add butter with steak in sous vide" resulting in "worse" flavor, and that's because your greatest boost to a steak's flavor comes from the salt. Heck, that's basically all a good steakhouse does, keep the meat in a salty, dry environment for many days. It's basically a process to decrease the moisture content of the meat, resulting in higher relative concentrations of salt, fat, and protein.

With sous vide, adding butter (or any fat) to the bag means that your salt is diffusing into the meat AND the fat, meaning less salt content in the steak's interior, resulting in less tenderization and flavor. On top of that, you generally want the added fat content to brown up (oh, sweet maillard), which can't happen in the cooler, watery sous vide.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:25 pm

Since the heat is relatively low I'm LESS concerned about eating from heated plastic, though it still wouldn't be my favorite thing. Glass jars more my angle

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:21 pm

shaq_mobile wrote:
Not sure if it has any merit to it. I think cooking has a massive amount of anecdotal "knowledge" in it.
Savory dishes are art. Pastry is science. Watch Alton Brown on Good Eats If you’re craving more of the science that explains why chefs do what they do.
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2410, RK-9000BR, MX518

SecretSquirrel

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:14 pm

The main reasoning for cooking a steak sous vide is you can easily get the entire steak to the level of perfect doneness, whatever you consider perfect. No having to worry about rare in the middle and well done around the edge. The down side, as mentioned is that they come out looking less than appetizing. Some time ago, I saw an Adam Savage video, testing different methods for searing a steak that had been cooked sous vide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB1x0O-bhrw

--SS

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:54 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
shaq_mobile wrote:
Not sure if it has any merit to it. I think cooking has a massive amount of anecdotal "knowledge" in it.
Savory dishes are art. Pastry is science. Watch Alton Brown on Good Eats If you’re craving more of the science that explains why chefs do what they do.

If you've been places I've been and eaten things I've eaten, chicken strips and salad with no dressing is kingly!!
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:07 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Pastry is science.

And Bravetart is a worthy teacher.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:09 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
shaq_mobile wrote:

Yeah I have years of cooks illustrated and Alton Brown is great. I was mostly referring to how often I hear wildly conflicting information.