Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Re: No... not him! Don't tell me they got him too!

Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:37 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Yeah, "not going away" could mean a lot of things. I'm trying to avoid an R&P tangent here, but I very much believe that it's extremely important for in-depth, empirical analysis to continue and be publicly available even if it's not popular or entertaining for "most people". It would be a detriment to the advancement of technology in general for this kind of information to be sequestered away into some kind of technical library not available to the general public. Yes, of course there is no such thing as an "independent" chip architect, and it's difficult these days even in the field of software to create a large, complex application as a hobby by yourself. However, if I hadn't read Hannibal's articles on Ars Technica years ago, and come here to dig into the dirty details of how all this stuff works, then I might not have become an engineer myself. I doubt very much that I'm alone in that way.

I'm hoping there's some middle ground that provides a way to make that happen.
You have a point here. I read these reviews to try and get a feel for how the tech of the review item is arranged to get the performance it achieves. I remember how exciting it was to put my first SCSI CDROM drive in a PC back in the days of 12K dial up modems and it was just stunning how quickly you could search a CD for data, or install a program from a CD. I had read all about how SCSI differed from IDE but that was the first time I got to see it. Reading reviews about these devices is what drove me to buy the new stuff and see for myself. What a mess SCSI arrays were, the cables were more expensive than the drives, and then SATA made it all easy. There was VESA bus, then AGP, then PCI then 64-bit PCI and then PCIe. Then SSD's came on the scene. PSU's went from big amps at 3-5V to bigger wattage at 12V. I followed an article at Burning Issues so I could link two PSU's together to run both my overclocked AMD MP board and the 20 plus drives and peripherals I had in the box. What draws people to read tech articles is finding out how things work to deliver the performance. And, then you want one.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:38 am

It's a pity to see all the old school tech sites in such decline. They have all been such great resources over the years but times have changed. I've certainly noticed changes in my own browsing habits over time. I think largely the need for such detailed benchmarks has waned because of technology becoming so commoditized, technology has sort of plateaued to a bit of a sweet spot where maintstream stuff is pretty good, and there are diminishing returns in the improvements brought by new generations of products. I don't find myself wanting to learn all the nit picky details over every product launch anymore, except maybe the big generation changes like major GPU / CPU releases. The rate of new hardware releases for tech is still very high but each one seems to be less noteworthy than in the past. Back in the day there were more differences between brands and products and generations, these days cards are based off reference designs and a lot of the product innovation has been done, so even for cases, coolers and other related bits and pieces there's just less new interesting stuff happening overall, or maybe we are just so used to seeing rapid change it's not that surprising anymore.

My main reason for visiting tech sites these days is to just keep up with general news and happenings, to answer questions like "when are new OLED monitors going to be available?", or other anticipated major innovations. To hear of major shifts in technology, or the stand out products and trends. Or for looking up reviews to understand which product is currently best in class, or if there are several similar competing products which are the best options, and their ups and downs. I rarely read very much detail about product architecture or technicalities anymore, I just look for an easy summary, and a heads up over any potential gotchas. Don't get me wrong, I still do try to understand what is the best thing for my needs, and what is best out of currently available products, but I definitely spend less time reading the deep technical writeups that TR is known for, not because their quality has changed, but just the overall market has changed, and probably to a point my own personal interests have changed. Younger readers are also probably less common, since the starting point for technology has changed.. a lot of stuff is probably taken for granted these days.

We seem to be living in a sort of race to the bottom environment where clickbaity content like Linus seems to be successful, where it really shouldn't be (it's a great pity that something like that is more successful than quality content like TR). But I guess we have to remember that TR readers are a tiny minority of the population who are already clued up much more than most would be regarding tech, so the click baity stuff just comes across as transparent and tacky to us, whereas for most people its like a sparkling fish hook that catches their attention. Personally I find video review is an annoying format because it's much harder to skim through, unless a video has been indexed well with timestamps for key info. I find video is more suited as a complimentary extension to the written form, but it varies between products. Some things are more tactile / aesthetic and a visual review is essential to get a good understanding, e.g. stuff like computer cases. Whereas CPU and GPU reviews, sure an overview of the layout / cooling is useful but generally performance data / text is a more concise way to cover the info.

It's a very challenging situation for a site like TR to be in, since to be competitive you essentially have to be ahead of the curve in some way. e.g. providing greater insight on products, or somehow have a better lead on breaking news, trends and tech.. Which is easier said than done in todays environment when other sites will just end up repeating your news / articles soon after posting. It's very hard to have a reason for visitors to favour your site / content over the many other channels of tech news coverage out there. I don't really have any great ideas on what to do, I assume if there were easy answers sites like [H] wouldn't be winding up mothballed. In the meantime I guess the safest approach would be to hedge bets, and try to drive in some new traffic through mediums like video, which seems to be very popular with the masses. Though it doesn't have to replace TRs in depth content on the important product releases. Hopefully some kind of workable balance can be found.

sconesy
Gerbil

Mon May 06, 2019 8:16 pm

"I find video is more suited as a complimentary extension to the written form"

Couldn't agree more. Unfortunately more and more written sites are Future plc these days.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Tue May 07, 2019 10:47 am

I don't understand the rise in popularity of video reviews. I don't have time or desire to watch a video, I just want to be able to see how a piece of hardware performs as quickly as possible.

I just need to see point form what the test bench is, and a series of graphs of comparative performance across multiple games / software so that I can inform myself quickly.

TR has done a great job of filling that format with meat for those who want to know more and I'd like to see more of the same for years to come!
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Wed May 08, 2019 3:19 am

^^ Absolutely ^^
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 08, 2019 7:02 am

Prestige Worldwide wrote:
I don't understand the rise in popularity of video reviews. I don't have time or desire to watch a video, I just want to be able to see how a piece of hardware performs as quickly as possible.

I just need to see point form what the test bench is, and a series of graphs of comparative performance across multiple games / software so that I can inform myself quickly.

TR has done a great job of filling that format with meat for those who want to know more and I'd like to see more of the same for years to come!

In a world where our minutes to rest are becoming increasingly difficult to find being able to multitask is helpful. I can't read TR while I do dishes.

Another point I think we miss is the younger generation prefers it. If that's where the consumers are then that's where the content is made. Written word, in my opinion, is still an art form that gives a unique sense of enjoyment over video. It's a skill that's diminished in the modern world of bloggers as journalists. Alas, I'll point to my statement above. Finding time to sit, read, digest a well written article is just hard to do these days, let alone write a quality piece (or comment).

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun May 19, 2019 4:28 pm

I think techreport would be a really good merge for wirecutter/sweethome. The thoroughness of each blends well, and the editorial style is simple and great. The monetization is also key, as wirecutter/sweethome is funded from sales ads.

tu2thepoo
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun May 19, 2019 4:46 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:
I think techreport would be a really good merge for wirecutter/sweethome. The thoroughness of each blends well, and the editorial style is simple and great. The monetization is also key, as wirecutter/sweethome is funded from sales ads.

Slight correction - the Wirecutter doesn’t run ads, they funded by affiliate links. The two sites got folded into one (just Wirecutter) a few months after NYT purchased the company.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:17 am

So Seth is gone?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:37 am

meerkt wrote:
So Seth is gone?

Here's the drfish post I referenced on the front page.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=121878&start=120#p1402869

The truth is we're doing everything we can to keep the site going, but basically everybody who writes here has another job. To my knowledge nobody is working on this thing full-time right now.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:25 am

chuckula wrote:
drfish wrote:
Is it wrong that my first thought was, hmm, I wonder if I can get Kyle/Intel to sponsor the TR BBQ this year?

Seriously though, this is yet another bad sign for the type of content we know and love.

While I'm not a personal fan of Kyle I'm hoping this is just an elaborate prank.

I'm not personal fans of Kyle and (at one point) Steve either, but I'm going to say it isn't, and I agree with Fish. Independent content sites are dying bit by bit, (IMO) aided in part by the years of stagnation of Intel products when there was no competition from AMD. If technology doesn't grow at a minimum expected pace, there isn't enough interesting things and content to report about and review. Or it means having to find additional fields to look at like smartphones, which are now stagnating as well (I predict a number of cell news/review sites doing similar things in the next few years).

I remember having Kyle publish some work I did testing Celeron 566-to-800MHz overclocks, and a Duron 600MHz overclock to 1GHz back in the day. I liked a lot of work the site did, even if I had differences of opinion on some things. They also brought power supply reviews up a huge notch in quality to all sites except for JonnyGuru (which had already raised the bar considerably themselves).
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:28 am

Waco wrote:
tanker27 wrote:
I remember a certain poster in the early days of the [H] forums, who didn't shy away from who she was and her "profession" at the time. Really threw me on who really identified as geek. 8)

My memory is a little fuzzy, but I do recall an adult film star back in the day on there. Is that who you're referring to?

Yep, Asia Carerra was a gamer and hardware enthusiast, who considered herself a geek. She was very personable too
Last edited by LoneWolf15 on Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:44 am

Ikepuska wrote:
DancinJack wrote:
Thanks, Facebook! (and others, but FB is probably the biggest offender IMO)

Honestly I think it's more likely YT and maybe twitch or Instagram. Linus Tech Tips and other 'influencers' are getting the advertising dollars because it moves units, especially the high margin ones.

I know I'm responding to old posts, but I agree. YouTube is handling a lot of hardware now. Linus is one of them, GamersNexus is another. YouTube allows for a lot of appealing visuals, and so if someone can narrate well and clearly along with presenting gear and results in a visual way, it really appeals.

I've only just begun watching some of those recently. But I miss a lot of places that were so great, not even the big sites. Bit-tech.net and LegitReviews still do some things, JonnyGuru, StorageReview, all excellent in their fields, but it's really hard to keep the lights on these days for a lot of sites, and it's really unfortunate.

When I'm back this afternoon, I'll have to do a modification on my subscription here; I hope more people see the need for truly independent review sites. They make a big difference.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:55 pm

Well looks like Kyle is no longer at intel, he posted a thread that with his son fighting off leukemia he just couldn't move to cali and had to leave the company. He was asked if he had plans to open the [H] back up, he said he will have to see how things shake out.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:01 pm

LoneWolf15 wrote:
Waco wrote:
tanker27 wrote:
I remember a certain poster in the early days of the [H] forums, who didn't shy away from who she was and her "profession" at the time. Really threw me on who really identified as geek. 8)

My memory is a little fuzzy, but I do recall an adult film star back in the day on there. Is that who you're referring to?

Yep, Asia Carerra was a gamer and hardware enthusiast, who considered herself a geek. She was very personable too

At first I thought you were talking about Tia Carrere from Wayne's World and I got really confused.

Starfalcon wrote:
Well looks like Kyle is no longer at intel, he posted a thread that with his son fighting off leukemia he just couldn't move to cali and had to leave the company. He was asked if he had plans to open the [H] back up, he said he will have to see how things shake out.

Oh, man. That's awful. :(
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Redocbew

Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:08 pm

A "Director of Community Engagement" couldn't have worked remotely? I smell politics at work.

Being required to travel, and just not having the time I can see as being a real problem though. Hope it all works out for him.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:31 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Here's the drfish post I referenced on the front page.

Thanks. I must've forgotten the "offer he couldn't refuse" part.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:28 pm

I've been hanging around TR since 2003 or so and have seen a lot of changes in that time. Maybe its just because I am a lot older now but computer tech just isn't as exciting as it was back then. "Back in the day" when computers were so much slower a hundred mhz gain in processor clock speed gave a difference you could feel. Now with our multi core, multi ghz machines there just is as much of a need to upgrade computers. A basic Wally World computer is "good enough" for a large portion of the people. I am thinking about upgrading computers right now, my current system has a AMD 8320 in it. Its been "good enough" for 6+ years. I think the good enough mentality like I have is partly to blame. Only reason I am considering an upgrade is to speed up editing 4k video.

As far as video reviews go, no thanks. I would rather read the information I want, doesn't matter if its about computers, news, that fancy new radio control airplane I am lusting over or a new recipe. I like text.

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:12 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
LoneWolf15 wrote:
Waco wrote:

At first I thought you were talking about Tia Carrere from Wayne's World and I got really confused.

Starfalcon wrote:

Oh, man. That's awful. :(

Asia Carerra is her adult film name. The Carerra was based off of a time when Tia Carrere was fairly popular (both Wayne's World and Kat in the PC Game "Critical Path", among other things). She was a gamer and PC enthusiast as well, thus her ties to ]H[ardOCP.

As for Kyle, I am saddened to hear about his son. Nobody deserves to go through this, and a parent shouldn't have to either. I hope things work out.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:27 pm

LoneWolf15 wrote:
Asia Carerra is her adult film name. The Carerra was based off of a time when Tia Carrere was fairly popular (both Wayne's World and Kat in the PC Game "Critical Path", among other things). She was a gamer and PC enthusiast as well, thus her ties to ]H[ardOCP.

So it's the same person? The things I miss out on for not watching the porn industry, I guess. :lol:

liquidsquid

Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:02 pm

In a similar vein, I have gotten back into enthusiast photography, and noticing a trend of cell phones taking large chunks out of the market. Add insult to injury, and it appears Huawei has paid posters to go into the SP review site and post overly generous reviews of the camera module to promote sales and generate excitement. Fake news if you will. Clever, legal, and annoying as hell. It is causing a lot of friction, and frankly it dilutes the quality of the forums to the point of not wanting to bother. Glad it doesn't happen here.

With that said, I am a cheap bastard. My main method of donating to TR has been to purchase from NewEgg through the links provided, and occasionally click on ads. I should really subscribe, but based on my family's current financial situation, it just cannot happen right now. I hope things improve, but so far it has been several months of nothing but unemployment.

One of the primary reasons I believe sites like this are in decline, is the dearth of gaming-ready systems that are more than adequate to run amazing games, like the XBox. In addition to what others have already mentioned, nothing Nirvana worthy has been released in a long time.

Frankly, I haven't been gaming much at all, no time for it. My son is perfectly happy with an XBox, that's where all his friends are. My main 4-5yo i5 machine is more than fast enough for both my engineering and photo processing needs. I probably wont upgrade until it dies, not to get a 10%-20% performance increase single-threaded.

That is the other problem, most machines are more than fast enough for almost all tasks, More cores don't help many mainstream users unless encoding or very specific games. Even mid-range graphics cards are more than adequate for even the latest titles. We are stagnated, and I don't foresee that ending any time soon.

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:21 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
LoneWolf15 wrote:

So it's the same person? The things I miss out on for not watching the porn industry, I guess. :lol:

Tia Carrere (Wayne's World era photo) (EDIT: They are not the same, I meant to say Asia Carerra chose the Carerra based off of Tia Carrere's popularity)

Asia Carerra (SFW, also a photo of the same era)

I knew of her and probably saw a random post or two by her (possibly the result of one of their articles); I never talked to her myself -nor did I peruse her films.
One other note...back then, HardOCP published two pictures of her wearing one of their T-shirts. One was G-rated....Let's just say the other one was hard-R. I can believe they did it in one way; on the other hand, I'm still surprised.
Last edited by LoneWolf15 on Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:58 pm

Early 2000s porn and actresses, neat.

So let’s just say I have a feeling that TR is gonna have a resurgence. That feeling might be fueled by stuff and things, but let’s work backwards from the idea that that’s not the case.

I think if we stay the course good things will happen, we all want a strong TR, and in the words of Month Python, they’re net dead yet.

They might even go for a walk...

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:04 pm

leor wrote:

As long as you haven't signed a liver donation card.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:19 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
leor wrote:

As long as you haven't signed a liver donation card.

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving, revolving at nine hundred miles an hour,
That's nineteen miles a second, here or there so it is reckoned, `round a Sun that is the source of all our power...

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:15 am

LoneWolf15 wrote:
`round a Sun that is the source of all our power..

Heh.

Our uranium comes from a supernova of an entirely different star, well before our star even existed.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:49 am

LoneWolf15 wrote:
One other note...back then, HardOCP published two pictures of her wearing one of their T-shirts. One was G-rated....Let's just say the other one was hard-R. I can believe they did it in one way; on the other hand, I'm still surprised.

Closest TR ever got to something like that was this: https://techreport.com/review/6860/zalm ... r-cooler/8
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:23 pm

just brew it! wrote:
LoneWolf15 wrote:

Closest TR ever got to something like that was this: https://techreport.com/review/6860/zalm ... r-cooler/8

Lol.

Honestly, I'm glad TR didn't do it that way. I expected it from HardOCP at the time, and even they did only one.

Completely different culture than here. And I *like* the culture here.

Rand
Gerbil

Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:30 pm

Let's just skip the t-shirts and have all the TR contributors pose topless. We can vote on them.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:47 pm

Rand wrote:
Let's just skip the t-shirts and have all the TR contributors pose topless. We can vote on them.

Oh dear. You know not of which you speak. Go peruse some old BBQ tbreads to grok my fears.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.