Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: No... not him! Don't tell me they got him too!

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:44 am

I think a TR "Platinum" subscription should be in order, something that's like double the average to get an ad-free browsing experience. Lots of folks are already blocking ads, so I have to think TR would stand to make something on such a sub. But maybe not.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

SuperSpy
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:22 am

I'll be honest, I let my subscription lapse last week when I thought about it and I couldn't remember the last time I had read an article on TR vs just jumping directly to the forums.

After seeing this thread, however, I'm more than happy to toss 50 bux at the cause if there's a plan for the future.

I am a little surprised at the hosting costs. Morphine mentioned hosting TR on a few Linode instances, and I know there are extra costs involved like certificates and domain renewals, but $600/mo buys a _lot_ of Linode power. Am I underestimating the hit rate of a website like TR?
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:23 am

SuperSpy wrote:
I am a little surprised at the hosting costs. Morphine mentioned hosting TR on a few Linode instances, and I know there are extra costs involved like certificates and domain renewals, but $600/mo buys a _lot_ of Linode power. Am I underestimating the hit rate of a website like TR?

Maybe that includes cloud file storage and database storage for all the behind-the-scenes info?

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:48 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Would there be value in community-submitted results? For simple benchmarks (especially those like the recent Cinebench that is literally a single-button run), if there was an easy way for community members to submit their own results, then the reviewer could choose which community results to show in the reviews against the product in question. This could also help with the hardware purchasing costs potentially.

The problem I see with this is that I don't think this would show off what makes TR's work distinctive. Frame-time data is difficult to collate without the right tools and TR's tools are not publically available, even if the benchmarks themselves are. I do like the idea of community moderated reviews from the forums somehow getting promoted to the front page under the right circumstances. That could be something interesting to play with.

Ikepuska wrote:
I know TR has the Macronis discount for subscribers, but as I was ruminating about this thread last night I thought about the 'fundraiser' that Ars had, which included a yubikey. Now I don't know relative viewership or economies of scale but to be completely honest, a few articles about 2fa security, followed by the offer for a yubikey with a ++ subscription really changed my mind on a sub to ars. And of course once subbed it's a lot easier to just let the auto-renew do its thing. I was wondering if a similar approach might work here. Honestly I'd seen some sites do other drives for subs before, but I've never seen one with such an apparently positive response as that one.

At this point in time, there's no one available to manage something like what you're suggesting, even if something could be lined up. Those of us contributing to the site are essentially tapped out already, heh. This thread and the link pointing to it from Shortbread coming up later today are probably as much of a fundraiser as we're going to get.

derFunkenstein wrote:
I think a TR "Platinum" subscription should be in order, something that's like double the average to get an ad-free browsing experience. Lots of folks are already blocking ads, so I have to think TR would stand to make something on such a sub. But maybe not.

All I can respond to this with is the same line that's been shared before, TR doesn't want to trade one source of income for another. I personally have mixed feelings about that stance, but it's unlikely to change in a timeframe that can make a difference. I'm biased, but I truly believe that TR's ads are basically the least obtrusive ones that can be found online. Beyond that, all we can ask is that the folks who do block ads please consider a sub in place of them.

SuperSpy wrote:

Thank you! The $600/mo is not just hosting, that's also redundant backups, podcast storage, Google services, and other administrative fees for running the business. It's literally everything that allows TR to function except payroll, hardware, and travel.

leor
Gold subscriber
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:14 am

A friend of mine is a writer, and while he doesn't have the deep hardware background you might be looking for, he does build his own computers. Maybe there's some kind of fit that can be engineered here.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:51 am

drfish wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

All I can respond to this with is the same line that's been shared before, TR doesn't want to trade one source of income for another. I personally have mixed feelings about that stance, but it's unlikely to change in a timeframe that can make a difference. I'm biased, but I truly believe that TR's ads are basically the least obtrusive ones that can be found online. Beyond that, all we can ask is that the folks who do block ads please consider a sub in place of them.

I get that, I just don't think it's a trade. Lots of folks (not me) are blocking TR's (and everyone else's) ads. I see it as a net boost. But I get what you're saying. I tried to make it more than the ad revenue for an individual user. I can't imagine a single person generates $73.60 a year in ad revenues, and if they did, then a couple thousand unique visitors should have TR set. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:23 pm

I don't think TR is going to improve its presence unless someone media-savvy can come onboard and at least resurrect the podcast, if not introduce some video review features. Get face-to-face (or at least microphone to microphone) with various industry figures and publish a few minutes or ten, do a tutorial walk-through of hardware, etc. Doesn't have to replace the quality articles but really should be there as a supplement. Us grumpy old-timers like our print media but the action (and ad hits, and subscribers) are in the A/V space.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:39 pm

I'm firmly against the idea of TR doing video reviews on YouTube or something similar (I hate watching, I can read far faster than I can watch a video). That said...if it is what would keep TR alive I'm all for it. 100% all in.

As far as I'm concerned this is one of the last bastions of independent reviews. I know the content has suffered due to various clauses that some manufacturers place on reviews, and it's basically impossible to get the hardware you need if you don't agree to them (and you certainly don't get it pre-launch if you're getting them from other channels). It's just unfortunate that the entire industry is moving towards reviews that are essentially paid advertisements without any real deep analysis or objective conclusions. :(
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

DragonDaddyBear
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:38 pm

I agree that a future, more diverse media strategy is the future. I think a multiple media format is a good option. That said, they wouldn't be the only site doing both if they went that route.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:40 pm

Waco wrote:
I'm firmly against the idea of TR doing video reviews on YouTube or something similar (I hate watching, I can read far faster than I can watch a video). That said...if it is what would keep TR alive I'm all for it. 100% all in.

I've scripted and recorded enough e-learning vids at work to know that making videos in the first place is a big ask, but I think they have to do it, and do it in a way that doesn't remove the written review. Write the review and then talk to the camera about it, superimposing charts, and take some sexy panning shots of the device on the test bench. Shoot the video while tests are running. It might help and it might not, but I have to think more is better in these cases.

And yes, I know this isn't an original idea, but I don't see another way.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:42 pm

yeah, whether die-hards like it or not, the typical TR longform can't really be the only thing going on here if TR wants to survive unless there are some wealthy gerbils that want to make TR a consistent presence, and even then, TR would still not get the chances some others get because I doubt the reviewers/editors would sacrifice their objectivity for review samples. Just a **** situation.

Doesn't mean you can't find some middle ground. Video might be it, I don't know for sure, but something needs to change it appears.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Jeff Kampman
TR Staff

Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:58 pm

[DISCLAIMER: I do not represent The Tech Report, and none of this post is autobiographical unless otherwise noted, nor should it be read as a statement regarding The Tech Report's past, present or future specifically]

It's deceptively easy from the outside to say "do this, do that, and do the other, and TR will be saved." The problem is to add more content, or explore new platforms, you fundamentally need to hire more people to buy the time and attention needed to let those new ideas flourish. Otherwise you burn out your existing talent and lessen the quality of everything you're trying to do. Good people cost a lot of money, as you may well be aware if you're a person with a job yourself, and lots of good people cost an absolute crapton of money.

Money is in fact the lifeblood of any business, and drfish has already noted that there ain't much of it to go around in the written/longform PC hardware journalism space any more. Money also buys you time to pivot, and when you're short on money, you're also way short on time to formulate real, sustainable business plans, rather than throwing Hail Marys in the last seconds of the fourth quarter and seeing what gets caught. As drfish has already sort of said, the vicious cycle is that without money, media outlets can't hire people. Without people, the content river dries up, and readers leave. Without readership, selling ads becomes that much more difficult, and that assumes companies even want to buy ad space on your site to begin with when most people are blocking ads and directing their attention to YouTube and Twitch. With shrinking revenues, you can't retain staff, and on and on it goes until you can't stay afloat any more. Worse, this is like a chronic disease with progressive effects. You can't just spend some money, snap your fingers, and say "I have a successful and healthy website again."

It's seriously heartening to see the TR community asking how to help and throwing around ideas about taking up the testing mantle (you really are the best and brightest community on the 'net and I miss writing for you all). The unfortunate and sobering part is that people with lucrative day jobs and the wherewithal to donate large swaths of their spare time and the use of thousands of dollars (if not tens of thousands of dollars) of specialized equipment to the cause are exceedingly rare if not nonexistent. They are certainly not the foundation of a sustainable business, because they can't devote their full attention to the crazy, irregular and often long hours required to do this work. Remember that if you're trying to compete with established pros in this space, you have to have production values, too, and that's just to try and scrape out a foothold against numerous experienced people who have already been doing multimedia production for years and years. Cameras, lights, and AV gear all cost eye-popping amounts of money, not to mention set design and set dressing.

I don't mean to dampen the enthusiasm for community hardware testing, but I will testify from firsthand knowledge that even with the amount of automation we did behind the scenes, testing CPUs and graphics cards "the TR way" and writing the accompanying article(s) consumes well in excess of a 40-hour work week. It's not something you can do in your spare time if timeliness is the goal (and timeliness is important if you want access to manufacturer samples). Reviews are never as straightforward to plan as charting out something like "10 graphics cards, 10 games, three runs each and I'm done," either. Stuff breaks, you goof settings, data gets munched. Sometimes your test system betrays you and you have to retest everything.

This is easy for one person to do full time if you are single, have no kids, and have no life or responsibilities outside of a burning passion for hardware testing. It is not and cannot be a hobby if you care about producing trustworthy data that lets you cover products at the level TR readers have come to expect. I say all this only because it's probably one of many things that would have to change if readers started throwing together test systems and writing about it.

I don't know what the future of TR holds -- that's for others to chart at this point -- but it would really help if some gerbils would go out, win the lottery, and write some really big checks to start with.

[DISCLAIMER: I do not represent The Tech Report, and none of this is autobiographical unless otherwise noted, nor should it be read as a statement regarding The Tech Report's past, present or future specifically]

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:04 pm

I knew it was a big ask. :p

And yes, people cost a lot, but if you don't have content, you won't get visitors. The content has certainly slowed greatly. I can't imagine the page impressions are what they were a year ago, or even 6-8 months ago. And without impressions there's no ads being shown. I get it, really, but I don't see how TR exists in 2020 without doing something different in 2019.

Jeff Kampman
TR Staff

Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:09 pm

OK, so who pays? That is, at the end of the day, the mile-high question mark behind which lies sustainability. And to be clear, this is an industry-wide question for all of media, not just The Tech Report or PC hardware more broadly.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:14 pm

I dunno. I sent Adam an FB (yes I reactivated my account, but it was expedient) message volunteering. Worst that'll happen is he'll decline. It's not a work-related conflict if I don't get paid. Even if it's just for a while.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:21 pm

The way I see it, the video aspect isn't going to be realistic for a while. This is just me talking, but I figure video production is something than can happen with your 3rd, or MAYBE 2nd full time hire. Did TR miss the boat on video? Sure, I don't think anyone would argue otherwise, but it's not because of ignorance, it was just a matter of passion.

We like old-school longform, that's where our audience is, but it's not where the money is anymore. Do you try to force something like video to work when you're not passionate about it (or don't have the time, even if you are)? So far, the answer has obviously been "no."

Things are going to change one way or the other, it's just a question of timing and direction. Those details I don't know.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:23 pm

I don't understand why the podcast died. I can't imagine it was due to costs; I was just doing it for the fun of it.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:45 pm

Time is money. :-?

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:03 pm

I wish there was more I could do to help out, but I'm not sure what that would be. Y'all already have a web developer, and like most small business owners I have a hard enough time keeping my **** together as it is. :lol:

Plus, I probably just disqualified myself from any kind of writing gig by using "y'all". Hmm...
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

MOSFET
Gerbil XP

Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:36 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Plus, I probably just disqualified myself from any kind of writing gig by using "y'all". Hmm...

As far as I'm concerned, y'all is proper second person plural. :)
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:52 pm

I would like TR to remain viable. I can probably convince my lab owner (me :D ) to become a corporate sponsor if you have such a catagory.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:54 pm

It's a tough situation we find ourselves in, and I'm not really sure what the future holds for TR. As somebody who periodically writes pro-bono for TR i totally recognize that there is a ton of work that goes into this site which separates it from simply a collection of blogs on tech. It's a big job to produce high quality, well edited, and useful information. I don't know what the solution is, and right now i have zero time to write, but we, as a community, need to figure out what we want and whether what TR does is worth us paying for.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:58 pm

MOSFET wrote:
Redocbew wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, y'all is proper second person plural. :)
Agreed, its too darned useful not to be. :D
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:01 pm

Jeff Kampman wrote:
I don't mean to dampen the enthusiasm for community hardware testing, but I will testify from firsthand knowledge that even with the amount of automation we did behind the scenes, testing CPUs and graphics cards "the TR way" and writing the accompanying article(s) consumes well in excess of a 40-hour work week. It's not something you can do in your spare time if timeliness is the goal (and timeliness is important if you want access to manufacturer samples). Reviews are never as straightforward to plan as charting out something like "10 graphics cards, 10 games, three runs each and I'm done," either. Stuff breaks, you goof settings, data gets munched. Sometimes your test system betrays you and you have to retest everything.

I will second this 10000%. As a prior reviewer (and my wife as well) it's amazing how quickly your time can be sucked up doing reviews even when it's a straightforward review of a simple product. Between taking photos, testing/benchmarking, hardware teardown/building, dismantling for board shots, editing photos, writing something that isn't as dry as the desert, etc...it all adds up exceedingly fast.

Even with two people in the house splitting up the workload trying to get something together that was readable, well tested, and polished under a tight release deadline was often a nightmare.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

chuckula
Gold subscriber
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:08 pm

Thanks for adding to the thread Jeff!
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:58 pm

K-L-Waster wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:
One model TR could try is having some core volunteer staff to run the backend and be EiC, but have all content produced by established community members, i.e. those of us who have been around for a while and clearly aren’t shills.

But who decides who isn't a shill? For example, if you asked Chuckula, Krogoth, Captain Ned, JustBrewIt, Anotherengineer, Chrispy, Glorious, auxy,Waco, sweatshopking, and Doomguy who the shills are, you're going to get wildly divergent answers.

Indeed. I think I'd be more concerned with trolls than shills.

Time is money and people are money. A lot of community events around here are done by volunteers, typically people with experience and lots of time, and dedication, which ironically enough is often recent retirees, it's too bad TR can't find a few of these people.

I'd love to volunteer for TR, but like Jeff mentioned, kids, a shift-working wife, old beeter car, 35yr old home with nothing ever done to it, I just don't have time, heck I haven't even watched tv in about 4+ years, maybe more and last movie I seen (excluding kids movies) was the hobbit. As for the shill/fanboy part, once you're over 40 you really stop caring about team A, B, C, D, etc. and more about what do I get for my $.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

NovusBogus
Silver subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:11 pm

Yeah...I'd love to pitch in with more than just a sub but I'm about 35 years away from retirement and don't have time for more than the occasional long-ish informational forum post.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:22 pm

Hmm I did not notice a TR gtx 1660 review. I see this site reviewed 4 of them, I don't know if they bought them, or if they were donated for review. https://www.techpowerup.com/

Did TR even get a 1660 for review?
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

continuum
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:48 am

Does TR even have anyone to do GPU reviews? :-/

Just donated a few extra bucks... not much but I hope it helps?

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:02 am

Mr Bill wrote:
I would like TR to remain viable. I can probably convince my lab owner (me :D ) to become a corporate sponsor if you have such a catagory.

Please reach out to Adam if you are so inclined, maybe you can work something out. :)

Waco wrote:
...Between taking photos, testing/benchmarking, hardware teardown/building, dismantling for board shots, editing photos, writing something that isn't as dry as the desert, etc...it all adds up exceedingly fast.

It's crazy. No spoilers, but I've been picking away at this year's April Fool's story for months (shhh) and even with a page of notes, photos, videos, and benchmarks already mostly completed, I'm staring at the 10 days I have remaining to write and polish and wishing I had more time. Right after that, I need to start turning my home solar project into something readable. I'm super excited about it, but damn, it feels like I won't have that done any earlier than probably late May or early June. And BTW, if I wasn't volunteering, the kind of story I have planned would NEVER happen. There's no ROI for something like it, even though I expect it to be something that people will be very excited to read. How tragic is that?

anotherengineer wrote:
Did TR even get a 1660 for review?

Nope.

continuum wrote:
Does TR even have anyone to do GPU reviews? :-/

Just donated a few extra bucks... not much but I hope it helps?

Not yet. Thank you!