Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

moose17145
Silver subscriber
Gerbil

Re: No... not him! Don't tell me they got him too!

Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:44 am

I feel like I am essentially in the same boat and NovusBogus. Other than pitching the few spare bucks I have, I am not sure what else I am even able to contribute.

I really hope this site stays afloat! I have been here since it was tech-report.com (notice the hyphen in the name). By far and large, this is the site that more or less taught me how to build my first computer back when I was a sophomore back in high school back in 2003. Heck I even remember sending (I think it was Scott) a few direct e-mails asking questions about graphics cards using the "contact the author" links that existed. I am sure he was wondering "who is this idiot?!?" That idiot was a moronic high schooler who knew next to nothing about computer hardware who has since managed to start a budding career in the IT Security field. I truly do not think I would be where I am without this website which helped foster my interest in technology.

The testing methodology on this site, along with the long form articles are something I have always enjoyed and feel has been a cut above the rest. Naturally, I too have noticed many of the things others have mentioned as of late (slowing of articles, the site not even getting review samples, etc), and it has had me concerned, but I was hoping it was just a transitory thing from people having left, new people coming in, and roles being transferred and new people getting up to speed. I did not realize things behind the scenes were this bad. I am not really sure what my point was in this post other than to convey how much I feel that this little corner of the internet has affected me, and to state that if there is something I (and the other readers of TR) are able to do other than throw money at you (which clearly many of us have already done or are doing), then please let us know! But right now it sounds like money may be the one thing you need more than anything else. After all, money buys time, and time buys options.
Core 2 Quad Q9400, 4GB DDR2 Ram, X-Fi XtremeMusic, GeForce 8800 GTX, and Windows XP Pro. Why? Because old games are the best games!

Wirko
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:05 pm

So, the average contribution went up significantly in the last couple days, it was $36.01 when this thread started and is $38.42 now. That's good, I guess. Here are my dollars (well, they were euros where I last saw them), do something good with them, I know you will.

For me, TR is the only site in English where I care to leave an occasional comment, and my language skills would be much more rusty without it. That's an added value on top of what many other gerbils said here, and I certainly hope I can continue doing so for a long time to come.

MOSFET
Gold subscriber
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:34 pm

Thanks continuum! There is still more interesting stuff happening here rather than at StorageReview (for now)!
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

Arbiter Odie
Gerbil

Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:41 pm

Do you folks have a dedicated advertiser/finance guy? If not, you may want to take a hard look at that.
Intel E3 1246 (essentially a 4770k) - Asrock C226ws - 32GB ECC ram - Saphire RX580 (undervolted) - Vertex 4, 120GB - 2x Toshiba, 4TB - Hitachi, 4TB

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:59 pm

Arbiter Odie wrote:
Do you folks have a dedicated advertiser/finance guy? If not, you may want to take a hard look at that.

The highly intelligent Adam is and has always been the biz guy. He’s also now the site owner.

https://techreport.com/aboutus.x

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:13 pm

I don’t like youtube reviews myself and I never understood the appeal compared to the standard reviews. But it was obvious that’s where things were going and where the money was. It’s not like TR had to nuke all their articles and redirect the URL to their youtube page, but they also weren’t going to get anywhere doing it as an afterthought.

Before the TR podcast was even a thing, members made impassioned pleas for them to get on the bandwagon. While TR said they didn’t see ROI in it, I’m sure availability of time played a role too.

I don’t know, I think that’s what I find the most frustrating. TR has consistently resisted emerging delivery methods for their content until it was a “me too” move and then didn’t take it seriously. Since they missed the boat, I’m guessing they then didn’t see huge success in these approaches once they tried them and saw no reason to pursue it aggressively given their budget or time. Without knowing the details, this was probably the best approach too with being so late to the party. Maybe TR realized the necessity for having a certain type of personality drive these alternative medias and in all the years of searching and job postings they just never had anyone worthy apply (obviously I'm being facetious).

It has been like watching Microsoft try to break into a well established markets, except without the deep pockets.

TR needs lots of money to re-emerge? Great, do something like a kickstarter with a well thought out business plan on a way to keep what made TR so great while breaking into new media. You can have my money then, not because I want anything to do with the other types of media, but because you aren’t going to thrive doing it the same way you were before.
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.

BIF
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:07 pm

I see that somebody nipped my $350 subscription by a dollar. That's good; it's a start! Maybe this could be the start of a new game: Out-donate BIF and knock him off of the top 10. I'm up for a little competition if others are... :P 8)

Starfalcon
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:48 pm

I was on there for a little while too, it's good to not see myself there anymore as it means people have been helping out TR now with a vengance.
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil XP

Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:13 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Waco wrote:
I'm firmly against the idea of TR doing video reviews on YouTube or something similar (I hate watching, I can read far faster than I can watch a video). That said...if it is what would keep TR alive I'm all for it. 100% all in.

I've scripted and recorded enough e-learning vids at work to know that making videos in the first place is a big ask, but I think they have to do it, and do it in a way that doesn't remove the written review. Write the review and then talk to the camera about it, superimposing charts, and take some sexy panning shots of the device on the test bench. Shoot the video while tests are running. It might help and it might not, but I have to think more is better in these cases.

And yes, I know this isn't an original idea, but I don't see another way.

Seconded. This man deserves a beer!

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil XP

Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:21 am

Another idea is to create a database of all past and future hardware review scores so anything can be compared. Then regularly post videos comparing the latest and greatest hardware with that from a few years ago and commentng on it. That has the potential to be popular.

And normal reviews having videos or animated gifs showing hardware from different angles and the accompanying accessories etc.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:10 am

Anandtech already does that, and to do it right you have to normalize application and driver versions. As soon as a game gets an update or one of your targeted games gets a driver bump, you've gotta re-test. That's incredibly labor-intensive, and it'd definitely be a "me too" sort of thing when another site has been doing it for years.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:19 am

drfish wrote:
not just hosting, that's also redundant backups, podcast storage, Google services, and other administrative fees for running the business.

I'm curious, what kind of Google services?

Wonders
Gold subscriber
Gerbil

Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:48 pm

I like that Jeff's comments are focused on the big picture.

Eventually, someone will do something like Labdoor for PC hardware, because there is a perpetual, structural gap in the market:
https://labdoor.com/about/business-model

Will that be TR? Who knows.

I was first drawn here long ago (years before creating an account) because of the trustworthy benchmarking. Stayed for the entertaining prose and analysis. Killed time reading the news.

But it starts and ends with the benchmarking.
Maybe as some others have suggested, TR can go "underground": We pool funds to support bare "numbers only" benchmarking of new GPUs and CPUs in the forums, and if we behave nicely then pros such as Kampman may stop by to offer a pointed comment or two (just to keep the rest of us from leaping to mad conclusions).

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:57 pm

The Egg wrote:
Rand wrote:
I'm taking this as an indication I should probably be upping my subscription to TechReport. We're running low on big enthusiast sites worth caring about, I really don't want to see TR die off too :(

Yeap. If you're like me and you spend a decent amount of time here but don't like dealing with advertisements, it's only fair that you throw TR a few bucks by subscribing.

Asia Carerra if I'm not mistaken. She's long since retired, not even sure she was still 'active' at the time. Smart lady all around.
Corsair 600T | ASUS P8P67 PRO | Intel 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | Asus 1080GTX | G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB | Corsair HX650 650W | Asus ROG Swift Gsync 27"

leor
Gold subscriber
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:40 pm

BIF wrote:
I see that somebody nipped my $350 subscription by a dollar. That's good; it's a start! Maybe this could be the start of a new game: Out-donate BIF and knock him off of the top 10. I'm up for a little competition if others are... :P 8)

I'm your huckleberry.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil XP

Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:38 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Anandtech already does that, and to do it right you have to normalize application and driver versions. As soon as a game gets an update or one of your targeted games gets a driver bump, you've gotta re-test. That's incredibly labor-intensive, and it'd definitely be a "me too" sort of thing when another site has been doing it for years.

That could easily be circumvented by indicating the different driver/game/application versions used along with a disclaimer stating that performance might differ across different versions. There's no need to be so thorough. Old products are old. They can remain in the database with the old version benchmarks. They would just be sort of a reference point to show just how fast the latest and greatest is. And it won't be a "me too" thing coz I know that the bright minds at TR will add some of their unique sauce to make it completely original and fun to use. Anandtech, as excellent as their in-depth reviews are, can be a tad boring to read. Sometimes, we just want to know in as few words as possible why product A is better than product B. I don't always wanna read 10 pages or more to arrive at a conclusion.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:18 pm

Well that's a great idea: do something someone else already does but do it worse. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

blazer_123
Gerbil

Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:35 pm

This is a very depressing thread :(

TechReport has been one of my favorite techsites over the past ~12 years. Long time lurker, occasional poster. I'd always come here for initial reviews. Especially due to the marginal take on framerates for GPU testing.

Full disclaimer: I'm not a subscriber and I block the ads. I have ordered numerous items using the deal links and hope some pennies are made that way.

I guess the reason I'm posting is because it's been so hard to get to techreport over the last 6 months. Every time I type in 'tech', Chrome tries to direct me to every site EXCEPT techreport. I like to type the first several letters in and then go down the list --- anything to use a keyboard over a mouse. Chrome wants me to go to Techspot, and won't even show techreport. It wasn't until i bookmarked it that techreport would come up [3rd or 4th down] after typing 'tech'. Plus, the more this happens, the more Chrome just thinks I don't want to go to techreport at all.

This means I've spent a lot of time on TechSpot and other aggregate sites with 'tech' somewhere in the name when I originally wanted to go to techreport. The same story can be said about using Google to find techreport articles.

It just seems like death by a million papercuts.

Edit: Everyone at TR should be very proud at trying to resist cutting corners and moving to flashy but vapid delivery. Every hardware review site I've seen do this has put out garbage. It works better in a video game format (IGN just reads their written reviews while showing video of the game), but even those sites tend to pander to whatever the hardware/software suppliers make them do.

codedivine
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:53 pm

Another one bites the dust. Slowly many of the original founders of enthusiast sites are leaving due to financial reasons. TR (Scott), Anandtech (Anand), PCPer (Ryan Shrout) and now HardOCP (Kyle). Anandtech so far has managed to do the best and I think that's partially because they recognized and latched on to the rise of mobile early. They are one of the few who are doing very detailed hardware analysis for smartphones in addition to traditional PC which drives viewers and ad dollars. The sites that only focused on PC hit harder times. (Full disclosure: I wrote some articles for Anandtech many years back. I never had any access into the biz side though).

About the community contributed content, I would love to contribute but I work for a hardware vendor now so conflict of interest and corporate policy prevents me from doing so. I suspect many other readers are in the same boat.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:10 am

No dust has been bitten yet. Please don't make the mistake of assuming the worst just because TR is opening up a bit and sharing some details that are typically not public knowledge. With a bit more income and a seasoned replacement for Jeff we'd be in as good of a spot as we've been in since Scott left, and there's been tons of great content produced since then. The heads-up I'm giving in this thread, approved by Adam but not solicited by him, is just an attempt make sure that everyone is on the same page and knows the stakes. I can't help with securing advertising dollars (PC hardware brands don't pay for 1st person Litter Robot reviews) but, as a longtime pillar of the community, I'm going to do my best to motivate everyone to pitch in. That starts with the hard truth of the situation, TR needs your help.

There's no pivot to YouTube coming, no scheme to offer anything than what TR has already honed itself for. The remaining TR crew wants to keep doing what TR's been doing, we think that's what our core audience wants too. That's not what advertisers want to pay for anymore, though. And increasingly, that's not what vendors want to supply hardware for either. This is just my opinion, but I think the community is the best way forward. So, simply, you guys need to know the details and decide for yourselves what to do from there.

Look at it this way, there are probably at least hundreds of folks on Twitch with enough $5/mo subs to have more revenue than TR. I don't begrudge them for their success in the slightest, but damn, it stings a little that a site with a well-regarded nearly 20 year history, and hundreds of thousands of unique visitors per month, can't even keep up with a mid-tier streamer. Hell, my own $50/year sub to TR works out to less than the $5/mo I support a couple streamers with. :o

meerkt wrote:
drfish wrote:
not just hosting, that's also redundant backups, podcast storage, Google services, and other administrative fees for running the business.

I'm curious, what kind of Google services?

Honestly, I'm not sure, but I don't expect there's much cost attached.
TR BBQ XVI is happening 8/10/19.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:13 am

WHY DOES ANYONE PAY STREAMERS ANYTHING I DON'T UNDERSTAND

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:24 am

drfish wrote:
The Egg wrote:
What are the top expenditures for a site like TR? Maybe there's a gerbil or two with connections who could get them vip pricing on hosting, or something of that sort?
Hardware costs are also a problem, essentially it's impossible to run the business if we're not supplied with hardware to test. The ROI on purchasing hardware to review just isn't there. I'm not going to name names, but it's not hard to see that some companies don't supply hardware like they used to. That means less reviews, which means less views, and ultimately, less income, and fewer writers. It's a vicious cycle.

This stands out to me as an expenditure which shouldn't exist. As one of the few legitimate hardware review sites left, it's a bit ridiculous that hardware vendor(s) would stop sending review samples. I wonder if there is some way for the TR community to apply pressure, but in a civil and well-spoken manner. Maybe something like a letter from the community with signatures reminding them of our history, etc.

Waco
Gold subscriber

Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:20 am

The Egg wrote:
This stands out to me as an expenditure which shouldn't exist. As one of the few legitimate hardware review sites left, it's a bit ridiculous that hardware vendor(s) would stop sending review samples. I wonder if there is some way for the TR community to apply pressure, but in a civil and well-spoken manner. Maybe something like a letter from the community with signatures reminding them of our history, etc.

I'm not sure many manufacturers really care. It's sad, but they'd rather not have objective reviews if they could help it. They'd much rather send hardware to reviewers who agree to never give them a bad review. :(

That said - it's worth a shot!
Desktop: Z170A | 6700K @ 4.4 | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB NVME + 2 TB SATA + LSI (128x8) RAID 0
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:55 am

You could try it, but it's unlikely to be successful. Nvidia has no reason to send them. People will buy regardless. Intel has no reason to send them. People will buy regardless. Amd sending them is tricky. Unless they have a clear winner over Intel they'd rather not have a bunch of negative reviews if they could help it. There isn't enough competition anymore to encourage companies to be as open as we would like.

leor
Gold subscriber
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:34 am

drfish wrote:
There's no pivot to YouTube coming, no scheme to offer anything than what TR has already honed itself for. The remaining TR crew wants to keep doing what TR's been doing, we think that's what our core audience wants too. That's not what advertisers want to pay for anymore, though. And increasingly, that's not what vendors want to supply hardware for either. This is just my opinion, but I think the community is the best way forward. So, simply, you guys need to know the details and decide for yourselves what to do from there.

I hope you guys are open to revisiting this decision. I work as an Agile Transformation consultant for fortune 100 enterprises and the main message we say over and over again to senior execs is, "no company no matter how large is immune to disruption." Not that TR has ever been large, but when the market pulls the rug out from under you, you either have to adapt or you die. This doesn't necessarily mean any of the suggestions in this thread per se, but some kind of a sustainable model that doesn't rely solely on a model that's already proven to have failed (if the subscription model was going to be indefinitely sustainable, it would have happened by now) would be a step in the right direction.

As the current #1 subscriber and someone who's had TR as their homepage for the last 20 years (and doesn't block ads here, what's wrong with you people, white list ffs!), I hope this is taken in its intended constructive spirit. The best way to predict what will happen tomorrow is by looking at what happened yesterday assuming you're taking similar actions, hopefully this little push for revenue fed in some cash, but let's brainstorm something that can be self sustaining and also aligns with TR's values, ya?

techguy
Gerbil XP

Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:10 pm

Convert wrote:
I don’t like youtube reviews myself and I never understood the appeal compared to the standard reviews. But it was obvious that’s where things were going and where the money was. It’s not like TR had to nuke all their articles and redirect the URL to their youtube page, but they also weren’t going to get anywhere doing it as an afterthought.

Before the TR podcast was even a thing, members made impassioned pleas for them to get on the bandwagon. While TR said they didn’t see ROI in it, I’m sure availability of time played a role too.

I don’t know, I think that’s what I find the most frustrating. TR has consistently resisted emerging delivery methods for their content until it was a “me too” move and then didn’t take it seriously. Since they missed the boat, I’m guessing they then didn’t see huge success in these approaches once they tried them and saw no reason to pursue it aggressively given their budget or time. Without knowing the details, this was probably the best approach too with being so late to the party. Maybe TR realized the necessity for having a certain type of personality drive these alternative medias and in all the years of searching and job postings they just never had anyone worthy apply (obviously I'm being facetious).

It has been like watching Microsoft try to break into a well established markets, except without the deep pockets.

TR needs lots of money to re-emerge? Great, do something like a kickstarter with a well thought out business plan on a way to keep what made TR so great while breaking into new media. You can have my money then, not because I want anything to do with the other types of media, but because you aren’t going to thrive doing it the same way you were before.

I can play a youtube review/news piece from e.g. Gamers Nexus on my phone while I do stuff around the house/get ready for work/work on my media server etc. Can't say the same about the written word.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:15 pm

I'm on TR throughout the day most days. However I do enjoy watching LTT about 50% for technical info/news and 50% entertainment. It's a different medium. I don't know that one is better than the other. I like them both.

Bomber
Gerbil XP

Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:56 pm

I was also taken aback by the news about [H]. For the longest time it and TR have been my go to for enthusiast news. Anand and Tom selling off their sites ruined them for me. They have not been "right" since then. Kyle has repeatedly pointed out this is not an elaborate April Fool's joke, but I definitely hope that isn't the case. While he could be an ass at times and I didn't always agree with his decisions, he was a great resource for all kinds of enthusiast details and did a lot of journalistic digging on various things over the years. Hopefully his plans for the forums go as intended. That is a good community for the most part.

All that said, it's not too surprising that TR is also feeling the burn. Thank you Fish for the updates. I hope that a solution can be found to make costs and income more agreeable. With the community we have here, even as little as I contribute (extreme introvert lurker here lol), it would be missed if it went away. If any more transparency about things comes up, and I can help, I'm in if i can.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:13 pm

leor wrote:
drfish wrote:

I hope you guys are open to revisiting this decision. I work as an Agile Transformation consultant for fortune 100 enterprises and the main message we say over and over again to senior execs is, "no company no matter how large is immune to disruption." Not that TR has ever been large, but when the market pulls the rug out from under you, you either have to adapt or you die. This doesn't necessarily mean any of the suggestions in this thread per se, but some kind of a sustainable model that doesn't rely solely on a model that's already proven to have failed (if the subscription model was going to be indefinitely sustainable, it would have happened by now) would be a step in the right direction.

As the current #1 subscriber and someone who's had TR as their homepage for the last 20 years (and doesn't block ads here, what's wrong with you people, white list ffs!), I hope this is taken in its intended constructive spirit. The best way to predict what will happen tomorrow is by looking at what happened yesterday assuming you're taking similar actions, hopefully this little push for revenue fed in some cash, but let's brainstorm something that can be self sustaining and also aligns with TR's values, ya?

Quoted For Truth. I've also been here a long time and like what TR currently does, but if that's all it ever does or has the vision to do, it won't be here in two years. Everything shared so far about the state of the industry generally, and TR in particular, is pretty much screaming "rocks ahead."
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:38 pm

leor wrote:

I agree with you 100%. I'm also trying to be realistic about what is immediately feasible and, from my perspective, any kind of site reboot is unlikely under the current regime. To date, my understanding is that the subscription option has been a nice bit of supplemental income, but it's still significantly less than the constantly shrinking pool of advertising and referral revenue. My intention with speaking openly here (and remember helping TR costs me money, I have nothing to gain other than hopefully preserving the community that I love) is to let people know that subs will need to be a lot more than just a little bit of extra income to make a difference. I figure that hasn't been spelled out in black in white so far and that maybe now that it is, people will consider them more seriously instead of thinking "well, one sub can't matter that much." It absolutely does. That's the transformation I'm looking for and the one that I don't think has been advertised clearly enough until now. Previously, the motivation for subbing was just to get a few perks. Going forward, in my opinion, the "reward" is the survival of the site, period. That's as clear as I can make it.

I know this is a tough sell without a full-time reviewer currently in house, and I know that we've waited too long to spell this out for everyone. I just got let off the leash though, so, I'm putting it out there for everyone to read as soon as I was allowed to. It's tough, I can't make any promises about anything. I'm also trying hard to make sure this isn't coming across as begging for cash. That's not the point. The point is only to share the reality of the situation with everyone and then see what happens when people are fully informed.

As for brainstorming, I'm all for it. We're short on manpower and time, though. Makes it tricky. That's why I'm leading with the facts I know. Adam's cooking up some plans of his own, I want to buy him more time to work them out or maybe alleviate the need for his plans altogether.
TR BBQ XVI is happening 8/10/19.