Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Original Star Wars 4K HDR release (SPECULATION)

Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:45 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarsspecul ... next_year/

Come November this year, prepare to drooooooooooooooooool.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Original Star Wars 4K HDR release (SPECULATION)

Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:57 am

But it will probably be the edited version, not the cinema one. :)

Besides Harmy's Despecialized Edition which is 720p (I think enough for an old film of this sort?), there's a newer 4K fan film scan called 4K77.
Last edited by meerkt on Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:26 am

I'm willing to wager it'll have more edits to make it fit within the new trilogy. Just how the edits with the special editions were mainly done to make the original trilogy fit more with the prequels.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:31 am

There's also the Team Negative 1 scan of a 35mm film print found in Spain.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:41 pm

Krogoth wrote:
I'm willing to wager it'll have more edits to make it fit within the new trilogy. Just how the edits with the special editions were mainly done to make the original trilogy fit more with the prequels.

George Lucas wanted to retell the stories of the original movies to better fit with his new direction that he wanted to take Star Wars. Disney just wants to make money. I really doubt that Disney will do the stuff that Lucas did that made the fans upset, there's just no financial incentive, just as there was no financial incentive for Lucas.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

toki
Gerbil XP

Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:28 pm

what upsets me, mainly for Jedi is that Lucas completely changed the ending!

BIF

Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:56 pm

toki wrote:
what upsets me, mainly for Jedi is that Lucas completely changed the ending!
I thought Disney just laid off all their Jedi.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:28 pm

I'd pay good money for even a regular 720p/1080p version of the theatrical cuts. Unfortunately, Disney purportedly promised Lucas they wouldn't ever sell a "Han shot first" version. I don't even care about that particular scene very much, it's all the disjointed CGI and airbrushing that breaks the atmosphere. OTOH, if the Evil Empire of franchise entertainment 'altered the deal' on a creative it wouldn't exactly be the first time.

At some point I'll probably have to break my moratorium on pie ratting if I ever want to see a decent version again.

Gyromancer
Gerbil

Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:48 pm

I highly recommend Harmy's Despecialized Editions for those looking for the original, unedited movies in fairly good quality.
Because people were people, and if there was one thing you could count on, it was that some of them would be weird. Or rather that all of them would be weird when circumstances happened to align with their own individual brand of insanity.

TheEmrys

Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:00 pm

I am just glad I have them on my lovely analog RCA video discs. I do wish they were widescreen though.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:03 pm

I have the Collector's Edition LaserDisc set. I'm pretty sure it's widescreen.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:05 pm

You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:56 pm

Very interesting information...I'd heard of the Harmy cut but not 4K77 or Negative 1. A proper frame-by-frame restoration of a 35mm reel is a truly fascinating concept.

The dark irony of all of this is that Lucas himself went before Congress in the late 80s to protest the colorization of old B&W films, stating that to alter the negatives was an unconscionable assault on Western culture. Ten years later he proudly declared that he'd altered the negatives for his hyper-colorized "Special Edition" release. Needless to say I am not gonna feel an ounce of remorse if certain things get downloaded from certain communication protocols in the near future. Bootleg albums ride again! 8)

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:28 am

No Thank you I'll stick with Harmy's. Well that is until Disney+ is released.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Bauxite
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:21 am

No interest in the ruined editions.

Fortunately for cultural history, the Harmy editions are well-distributed across the globe. Probably the only versions that will matter 100s of years in the future, the irony is deep indeed.
TR RIP 7/7/2019

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:28 am

A coworker tracked down the 4K non-DNR and the 4K DNR versions of this. We previewed the DNR version this morning on a 4K Samsung 27" monitor, and I am more than pleased with the quality of this. Yes, it's a 4K scan of a "release print," meaning that is a 4th generation analog element, but there is still a ton of detail there. I would say that although there is probably less overall detail than can be seen in the Blu-ray from the Special Edition (sourced from original camera negative (OCN) scans), there is more than adequate detail, and the color timing is probably the closest one is going to see in this day and age to what was projected theatrically in the late 70s.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:38 am

If I'm not mistaken, the 35mm print used for the Team Negative 1 1080p scan (a/k/a the Silver Screen Edition) is the same print rescanned for the 4K77 project.

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:08 am

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
Krogoth wrote:

George Lucas wanted to retell the stories of the original movies to better fit with his new direction that he wanted to take Star Wars. Disney just wants to make money. I really doubt that Disney will do the stuff that Lucas did that made the fans upset, there's just no financial incentive, just as there was no financial incentive for Lucas.

I believe there was some financial incentive for some changes, like Han/Greedo's shooting match, in order to avoid PG13
(the rating didn't exist in 77)
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

liquidsquid

Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:12 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:

As do I. in the lovely black box.
However, when I went to play it on my decent LCD HT projection screen...
1. Wow has technology moved ahead. CRT television resolution on a beast of a screen is too much crap to bear.
2. My drive started slipping in my dinosaur-aged player. Uh-oh. Its toast. Not worth fixing other than for nostalgia. I have a sizable collection of LD that I wont bother with as some are duplicates of movies, like Aliens, which are so much better as re-issued Blue Ray I was given or purchased. For less money today than they cost back in the late 90's.

So the box sits there waiting for some determined purist to offer me some cash for it.

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:22 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, the 35mm print used for the Team Negative 1 1080p scan (a/k/a the Silver Screen Edition) is the same print rescanned for the 4K77 project.

That is correct, based on my reading. I'm amazed that they were able to get this done and on such a limited budget. I would love to know who (and how) they talked into lending them a 4K film scanner! I'm sure someone "knew someone in the industry," as networking, across all professions/hobbies, gets you into many doors that would otherwise remain closed. However, with the super-touchy digital police/copyright world in which we live, I can't imagine it being easy to convince someone, with access to said scanner, to allow a hobbyist or group of hobbyists, to scan in a release print of a film with such a history of big names/deep pockets behind the copyrights, etc.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:03 pm

liquidsquid wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:

As do I. in the lovely black box.
However, when I went to play it on my decent LCD HT projection screen...
1. Wow has technology moved ahead. CRT television resolution on a beast of a screen is too much crap to bear.
2. My drive started slipping in my dinosaur-aged player. Uh-oh. Its toast. Not worth fixing other than for nostalgia. I have a sizable collection of LD that I wont bother with as some are duplicates of movies, like Aliens, which are so much better as re-issued Blue Ray I was given or purchased. For less money today than they cost back in the late 90's.

So the box sits there waiting for some determined purist to offer me some cash for it.

Agreed on all counts. I bought my LD player when I found the Trilogy for $5 in great condition. I've acquired another 20 or so movies that I wanted from a vintage standpoint. I've tried to watch a few and wow they are dated. Especially the audio.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:24 pm

Pagey wrote:
That is correct, based on my reading. I'm amazed that they were able to get this done and on such a limited budget. I would love to know who (and how) they talked into lending them a 4K film scanner! I'm sure someone "knew someone in the industry," as networking, across all professions/hobbies, gets you into many doors that would otherwise remain closed. However, with the super-touchy digital police/copyright world in which we live, I can't imagine it being easy to convince someone, with access to said scanner, to allow a hobbyist or group of hobbyists, to scan in a release print of a film with such a history of big names/deep pockets behind the copyrights, etc.

I would be FAR from shocked to find that "someone in the industry" is fully appreciative and supportive of the fan-based efforts to bring the one true ANH into the modern era. My guess (and it's strictly same) is that the TN1 release wouldn't have happened without such support.

toki
Gerbil XP

Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:56 pm

Topher Grace even did some edits to Star Wars. He only showed it to his friends apparently.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:47 pm

liquidsquid wrote:
My LD drive started slipping in my dinosaur-aged player. Uh-oh. Its toast. Not worth fixing other than for nostalgia.
It's a rubber drive belt. The fix is easy and cheap if you do it yourself.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:16 pm

Negative 1 claims that they built their own 4K scan rig with a DSLR. It has been done a lot at the hobby level, and so very plausible that someone with video production experience could make a pro grade version.

The more interesting question to me is where the 35mm came from. Last I checked those aren't like picking up Halloween candy, especially one as old and controversial as this, so if I was looking for insider involvement that's where I would start.

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:19 am

NovusBogus wrote:
Negative 1 claims that they built their own 4K scan rig with a DSLR. It has been done a lot at the hobby level, and so very plausible that someone with video production experience could make a pro grade version.

The more interesting question to me is where the 35mm came from. Last I checked those aren't like picking up Halloween candy, especially one as old and controversial as this, so if I was looking for insider involvement that's where I would start.

Ah, that makes sense. I hadn't read enough of the background to get that piece of info. A coworker grew up with his family running a small, local drive-in theater. Despite what every policies were in place at the time, he said it was not uncommon for release prints to remain on site, never sent back/asked for/picked up by whomever did the distribution. In fact, his dad would often do a personal "movie night" for my coworker and his friends, showing the release print of whatever they were into at the time, often long after the theatrical run of the film was over.

Regardless of how TN1 accomplished this, I remain both awed and grateful.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:34 am

Guaranteed:

It will come out, the kids will love it, the purists will hate it, and your wives won't care. :D
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:23 am

I grabbed the 4k77 version and watched it. Its maybe a tad bit better than Harmy's visually. (Yes I watched it in 4K) I did find that the Dolby Sound they used was far better than Harmy's. I don't know what they sourced their audio from but it was real clear and balanced correctly. In Harmy's there's are a few trouble spots with surround sound.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:48 am

NovusBogus wrote:

The only clue I've seen publicly disclosed is that the dialogue track on the print is in Spanish, meaning that all of the sound in TN1/4K77 has come from other sources.

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:53 am

Captain Ned wrote:
NovusBogus wrote:

The only clue I've seen publicly disclosed is that the dialogue track on the print is in Spanish, meaning that all of the sound in TN1/4K77 has come from other sources.

The MediaInfo tool from MediaArea.net shows DTS-MA, so I wonder if they used the audio from the official Blu-ray?