we are the BORG, you will be assimilated ..eventually:

Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:07 am

https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-brain-co ... -gdc-2019/

-can you imagine eye-tracking with this, and FACEBOOK! :o

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Re: we are the BORG, you will be assimilated ..eventually:

Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:23 am

Ocz was years ahead with this I guess. I used to wear the ocz NIA to play left 4 dead but mostly used the facial muscle detectors.

The primary thing that happened, I eventually stopped carrying molotovs in expert games out of fear I would sneeze and kill the entire party.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

NovusBogus
Silver subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:55 pm

Interesting, but it probably won't take off. Hardware usually takes more than two iterations to get it right, which is a big problem problem for Valve.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:19 pm

-probably not Valve.. no real "vested interest" there.

This is probably one of those things that will be forgotten again and again, until it isn't.

Eye-tracking will be available long before this is developed for reliable results - because it's directly useful for limiting several aspects of hardware requirements. And you can be sure that add-tracking at some point will integrate eye-tracking.

The "kicker" to this is when they start altering the adds (based on literal views) and "seeing" your mental response in real-time, and then craft the adds to specifically alter your brain chemistry: to give you a high that ensures you'll hit "buy". I wonder what kind of fines the EU will hand out for that? :lol:

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:23 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
..The primary thing that happened, I eventually stopped carrying molotovs in expert games out of fear I would sneeze and kill the entire party.

Ah the plight of the early-adopter. :P

I think the military had similar fears with their drone pilots ..or at least the bad press that could result from something like that.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:15 pm

Isn't there a lot of "training" involved just to get the BCI to work properly? I assume this was really more of a "what if" talk than Valve announcing an actual product that they intend to be working on, but it seems like anyone who wants to use this for gaming needs to find a way around the training period first.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:59 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Isn't there a lot of "training" involved just to get the BCI to work properly? I assume this was really more of a "what if" talk than Valve announcing an actual product that they intend to be working on, but it seems like anyone who wants to use this for gaming needs to find a way around the training period first.

I was thinking about this and how it shut down a lot of the Nia value. My thinking is that training should be integrated into normal computer use with something like audio cues to let you know you've reached a threshold in a reading. That integrated effortless learning reduces the boredom factor.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.