Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

I have the best wife ever!!!!

Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:43 pm

This evening's conversation:

Me: "Honey, I think I found a pinball machine..."
Wife: "Really? Why haven't you bought it?"
Me: "Well...."
Wife: "Quit waffling and just by the **mn pinball machine! We been wanting one."
Me: "Well... Ok."

:o

So, I have the best wife ever, and tomorrow we are going to go look at a pinball machine to buy.

:lol:

--SS

chuckula
Gold subscriber

Re: I have the best wife ever!!!!

Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:02 pm

She's a Pinball Wizard there has to be a twist.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:06 pm

chuckula wrote:

She had always thought it was a "neat" idea, but she went to the Texas Pinball Festival with me and definitely had fun!

--SS

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:18 pm

Cheating on Ms. PacMan eh?
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:43 pm

DPete27 wrote:

Heh. My first thought too. :)
TR BBQ XVI is happening 8/10/19.

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:06 pm

drfish wrote:
DPete27 wrote:

Heh. My first thought too. :)

Maybe just a little? Actually, one of the things I've missed since I tore Ms Pac Man down was having a game to "tale a 10-15 minute break" with. When I'm fed up with work or stress out with life, being able to take a short break with something that requires attention and focus, but not deep thought, is quite nice.

We are getting a Data East "Secret Service". Well, assuming it lives up to the sellers description, that is what we are getting.

--SS

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:52 pm

And i came here wondering exactly how your wifi is so much better than mine. :-?
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

NovusBogus
Silver subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:11 am

SecretSquirrel wrote:
chuckula wrote:

She had always thought it was a "neat" idea, but she went to the Texas Pinball Festival with me and definitely had fun!

--SS

If you ever visit Las Vegas, be sure to check out the pinball museum. It's off strip and not corporate, run by some guy who's gonzo for both pinball and the Salvation Army. I am not a pinball guy, but I've been there a couple of times for company events (in better times Makerbot hosted CES parties there). Huge number of machines, mostly from the 60s and 70s.

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:15 pm

Picked it up today.

Just fits in our Durango, with the back box folded down.

Getting it put back together in the garage for the time being.

Has all new control boards in it.

The play field is in good shape with just a few small wear spots. The plastics are generally in good shape as well. There is a clear piece over the ramp at the top left that needs a bit of attention, but it's functional. Note that the gray rectangles are foam surrounds for the scoring displays that fell of in transport.
http://www.kovarindustries.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG_20190414_171741581.jpg

Really is some impressive electro-mechanical magic in these things.

Got it all together, generally leveled, and playable.

This machine is in perfectly playable condition, but it does show some wear. It needs a good cleaning. The legs need to be replaced. The cabinet shows some "abuse" signs, though the side art is in excellent condition. I'll probably make some minor repairs here and there, but I don't know if I'll ever do a real restoration on it.

Star Brood
Gerbil First Class

Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:07 pm

Honestly my thought process when I see people able to buy new PC gear all the time: how are their wives allowing this to go on?

A pinball machine would certainly push my downstairs neighbors over the edge. My 2 kids run around and scream plenty without me adding extra noise.

No, I'm not jealous of your circumstances that allow you to have fun. I'm just amazed that it's possible.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:21 am

I am telling you man there is glitch in the matrix, woman behaving this way isn't possible. :roll:

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:41 am

Star Brood wrote:
Honestly my thought process when I see people able to buy new PC gear all the time: how are their wives allowing this to go on?

A pinball machine would certainly push my downstairs neighbors over the edge. My 2 kids run around and scream plenty without me adding extra noise.

No, I'm not jealous of your circumstances that allow you to have fun. I'm just amazed that it's possible.

I did my time as an upstairs neighbor in an apartment complex. I was the middle floor in a three floor unit. I was lucky in that I never had any serious problems above me or complaints below me. I did worry about movies from time to time since I'm sure you could have head the subwoofer downstairs. This was before I had kids though. And once again, I am without kids. The daughter is off in college. My wife and I both work waaayyyy to much and are starting to realize that maybe a little bit fun time is a good idea now.

Your time will come. :)

--SS

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:42 am

Jigar wrote:
I am telling you man there is glitch in the matrix, woman behaving this way isn't possible. :roll:

My wife is a kindergarten teacher. She puts up with my nerdiness/geekiness and I put up with her teacherness. Works out just fine in the end. :D

--SS

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:06 am

SecretSquirrel wrote:
We are getting a Data East "Secret Service". Well, assuming it lives up to the sellers description, that is what we are getting. --SS

congratz on the pickup!

you gave us full disclosure on the ms pac ($100), but have not given us the same justice for this 1988 Data East Secret Service find!

The 2018 Mr. Pinball price guide values this game at $1,025+.

Pinside (#1 website and authority of the entire pinball hobby) values this game at around $1,020-1,180.
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-

DragonDaddyBear
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:24 am

Super stoked to see that. Congrats. I'll have to disagree with you on the best wife part, though ;)

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:37 am

I think you are going to see a very big jump in 2019. If you look at the Pinside marketplace ads for 2019 and 2018 the prices are way up. I paid $1500 for it. I might have over paid just a hair, but I don't think by much. It has a completely brand new board set and power supply and full LEDs across the playfield and most of the back glass lights. As I noted, there are some rough spots on the cabinet, but nothing that impacts the artwork that is even really visible.

I need to look at the ball shooter a bit. There is a bit of play in it and it feels a little grabby. I'm guess the bushing probably needs to be replaced. It also seems a bit on the weak side. May be due to the bushing and/or it needs a new spring. Neither of those are expensive fixes. And it needs a new set of legs. One of them looks like it had something run over it. Its still vertical and stable, but doesn't look the best. All the leg levelers are pretty funky. One of them is completely seized. The inside of the legs is starting to show rust spots coming through the chrome plate in places. I don't have to replace them, but probably will. Other than that? I'm not planning of doing anything else any time soon.

So, once I replace stuff, the total cost will be about $1600.

--SS

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:38 am

DragonDaddyBear wrote:
Super stoked to see that. Congrats. I'll have to disagree with you on the best wife part, though ;)

Glad to see someone else has the best wife ever too. :lol:

--SS

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:47 am

SecretSquirrel wrote:
I paid $1500 for it. I might have over paid just a hair, but I don't think by much.

To be clear, I'm completely fine with what I paid for it, so by that definition I paid exactly what it was worth. Could I have found one cheaper, maybe. But, being able to drive 45 minutes, see and play the game, and bring it home and have it up an playing before dinner is definitely worth a lot to me.

--SS

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:54 am

SecretSquirrel wrote:
To be clear, I'm completely fine with what I paid for it, so by that definition I paid exactly what it was worth.
Could I have found one cheaper, maybe. But, being able to drive 45 minutes, see and play the game, and bring it home and have it up an playing before dinner is definitely worth a lot to me.

you paid exactly what any one of those pinball games would have been listed for. that's the thing with price guides (physical or live website data), it's just a means of getting what any unit should cost as a base measure.
so you know a working mint original Medieval Madness from 1997 is worth around $8000-9000, but in reality, they will sell for $10-12k+ all day, errday. the original version is 10x better than the reproduction models.

the only way you'd pay below price guide/pinside pricing on a game like secret service for around $500-1000 is if the game is in shoddy condition, a lot of playfield wear, non-working, missing pcb's, water damage, and more.

at the very least, if the seller doesn't know the pricing on the game you could land a good deal, but that's the equivalent of getting struck by lightning or winning the lotto.
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:10 am

SecretSquirrel wrote:
chuckula wrote:

--SS

Are you talking about the one in Frisco? I went a few years ago and loved it. It was pricey to get in, but unlimited pinball on all those machines made it worth it.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:36 am

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:
chuckula wrote:

--SS

Are you talking about the one in Frisco? I went a few years ago and loved it. It was pricey to get in, but unlimited pinball on all those machines made it worth it.

Yep, that one. The whole family went. It seems pricey until you spend 7 hours playing pinball and arcade games. $5/hr is pretty cheap for entertainment. Can't go to a movie for anything close. We are already planning to go next year. I might even go as an exhibitor. Though I'd likely only take Ms Pac Man.

--SS

Ikepuska
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:15 am

I have to agree that having a conversation with your wife like that is amazing, and I'm really jealous of that pinball machine. I don't have the room for a pinball machine yet, but I've been wanting to see if I can get a CRT cabinet set up with hyperspin on it. But getting a good CRT that can handle a lot of games well is quite hard, and then setting it up in a custom cab is not exactly trivial. I've had all to do just getting the garage setup for doing soldering and heatgun stuff to maintain old equipment. My goal is to be able to maintain my stuff, both old and new electronics but it's not particularly cheap, so I'm going to have to piecemeal the project.
Of course I shouldn't complain, because while I don't think I live in the land of great finds on electronics hardware and stuff, my luck with classic car parts and even whole working cars has been much better.

On that topic do you have any recommendations other than a new hakko soldering station for doing motherboards and pcbs? The number of knockoffs and unsafe options out there are paranoia inducing.

This thread also reminded me of the fact that I also have the best wife ever, so might as well share to brag about how lucky I am to have her.
I've been deployed most of the last 7 years (home for a total of 13 months in that period). I'm also a book nut. So between my last two deployments I found out that my favorite author was re releasing his biggest series in signed leather bound editions.
The kicker was that he had been for a couple of years, so I missed out on most of the first batch. When I found out, I talked to my wife about it, but since I was getting ready to go out the door, she promised to keep buying the ones that were coming out, and we'd discuss the rest when I got home.

Fast forward, and I get home on Thanksgiving. Lo and behold, there are the books that had come out since I left, so I happily drooled over then and then put them in my book shelf.
Then on Christmas I open my box, and totally flip. My wife had, in total secret, bought all the missing books by scouring the internet and even driving around to distant stores to get copies. She even used relatives credit cards and accounts to do the ordering just in case I saw a stray transaction.
Now understand, this wasn't a minor effort this was hours and hours of work and driving across 4 states, and she still won't tell me what was spent other than that it was north of 5k.
And that is my best wife ever story.

WaltC
Gerbil

Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:12 am

SecretSquirrel wrote:
This evening's conversation:

Me: "Honey, I think I found a pinball machine..."
Wife: "Really? Why haven't you bought it?"
Me: "Well...."
Wife: "Quit waffling and just by the **mn pinball machine! We been wanting one."
Me: "Well... Ok."

:o

So, I have the best wife ever, and tomorrow we are going to go look at a pinball machine to buy.

:lol:

--SS

I have a similar situation! Thank Goodness. She never objects to my "necessary" computer-related expenditures *cough*....Congrats! :D

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:53 pm

Ikepuska wrote:
On that topic do you have any recommendations other than a new hakko soldering station for doing motherboards and pcbs? The number of knockoffs and unsafe options out there are paranoia inducing.

I actually have a $70 "chinese" soldering station from Amazon. Has both iron and air. I picked up a $10-$20 set of various air tips and a $10 set of iron tips. I wouldn't necessarily use it in a commercial setting, but for home hobby use, it's great. I share a link, but the product page doesn't exist on amazon any more. :roll:

It it quite similar to this one. Note, I have no idea if the one I linked to is any good. I just picked the first on that looked similar to mine, as an example.

--SS

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:03 pm

To tie this acquisition into something a bit closer to TR territory, I'm going to have to do something about the cooling fan. It's loud. Not high pitched, graphics card, blower kind of loud. It's a large, probably AC fan in the bottom of the cabinet and it has a very distinct rushing "whoosh" to it. It's not really noticeable when playing the game, but in a quiet room, or even the garage, you hear it.

--SS

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:08 pm

Noctua? Is there 12V in there somewhere?

Waco
Gold subscriber

Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:09 pm

My wife does the same for me buying car parts. I think it's just a function of talking about [insert subject here] for too long and her being finally convinced I actually want whatever it is I'm going on about. It's a pretty good filter to keep me from getting stupid things I haven't thought through well enough.

The trouble I have is convincing her to actually spend money on her hobbies!
Desktop: Z170A | 6700K @ 4.4 | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB NVME + 2 TB SATA + LSI (128x8) RAID 0
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

DragonDaddyBear
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:36 pm

Waco wrote:

At least yours has a hobby. My wife could use a hobby but she is too engrossed in parenthood. It's bad enough that we are actually looking at moving to a new state to try a fresh start, hoping for a mental reset.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:37 pm

You sound just like our relationship. What I usually end up doing is buying what I know she doesn’t want and let her take it back and get what she wants instead. That way she’s not spending money but is instead just substituting.

Waco
Gold subscriber

Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:37 pm

DragonDaddyBear wrote:
Waco wrote:

At least yours has a hobby. My wife could use a hobby but she is too engrossed in parenthood. It's bad enough that we are actually looking at moving to a new state to try a fresh start, hoping for a mental reset.

We don't have kids and both have jobs - so she needs a hobby (or a few) to stay sane!
Desktop: Z170A | 6700K @ 4.4 | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB NVME + 2 TB SATA + LSI (128x8) RAID 0
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS