Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Re: Change in Plans - I would like to *Replace* my faded American Flag

Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:33 am

ludi wrote:
Chrispy_ wrote:
As a non-American, what's wrong with throwing a worn-out flag into the trash?

Ever since US v. Eichman, nothing legally. But unless someone is actively making a point against the flag, most people will follow the proper disposal procedures per Captain Ned's link.

Most people will show respect for the American flag because it’s a symbol of the freedoms they hold dear. Like anything else, if you cherish and revere it, you maintain it. Some disagree and like to show indifference or even disrespect for the flag. It takes all types.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:46 pm

Thank you for the link to Gettysburg Flags. It sounds like they may be making just about the best these days.

And thank you all for the conversation about the proper care for our symbol of freedom. I absolutely will retire my flag correctly and with honor.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:10 pm

The official Boy Scout method as practiced and recommended by national, is to respectfully disassemble the flag, so that it no longer is a US flag, before burning the components. Specifically the stripes are turned into strips and the field can optionally have the stars cut out, picked out, or otherwise defaced.

Personally, I would separate the field (blue w/stars) from the stripes, and optionally separate the stripes, depending on material used, time allowed, etc. By flag code, you can burn the entire thing together, as long as it's respectfully done.

Also, it's not every BSA troop that disposes of flags, but many do. Feel free to contact and ask.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:43 am

just brew it! wrote:
On a related note, It really bugs me when I see someone flying a beat up, half-shredded flag from the back of their pickup truck. Flying the flag is supposed to be a sign of respect; by flying a flag that is falling apart you are doing the complete opposite.

The flag I fly out front of my house usually lasts until it has frayed a decent bit. To me that adds character and even a sign of respect. I'm not flying it to look good or and won't replace it immediately just because it may not fit my "perfect house with a a white picket fence". I find a slightly aged one has much more character and has a deeper meaning that elevates it beyond a decoration.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:50 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
On a related note, It really bugs me when I see someone flying a beat up, half-shredded flag from the back of their pickup truck. Flying the flag is supposed to be a sign of respect; by flying a flag that is falling apart you are doing the complete opposite.

The flag I fly out front of my house usually lasts until it has frayed a decent bit. To me that adds character and even a sign of respect. I'm not flying it to look good or and won't replace it immediately just because it may not fit my "perfect house with a a white picket fence". I find a slightly aged one has much more character and has a deeper meaning that elevates it beyond a decoration.

There's a difference between "slightly aged" and "half-shredded, with chunks missing and loose pieces flailing around" though.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:33 am

Yup. I had to shame the local parks & rec director into switching out a flag the city was flying because it'd gotten so ripped up. I don't care if they do fly it, but at least have a little respect.

I don't see "slightly ratty" as being a sign of respect, personally... but I also don't see wearing the flag printed on your clothing as respectful either, so I'm empirically in the minority around my town.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:45 am

chuckula wrote:
The Boy Scouts used to do proper flag retirement ceremonies when I was in them... but I make no guarantees that occurs anymore.

An American Legion or VFW post probably performs the retirement ceremonies or at least can direct you to the right people.

I asked a friend of mine who is a Boy Scout leader, and he said they'll still do it.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:13 pm

bthylafh wrote:
Yup. I had to shame the local parks & rec director into switching out a flag the city was flying because it'd gotten so ripped up. I don't care if they do fly it, but at least have a little respect.

I don't see "slightly ratty" as being a sign of respect, personally... but I also don't see wearing the flag printed on your clothing as respectful either, so I'm empirically in the minority around my town.
I have shamed my employer's building manager into changing out the flag. We fly a rather huge one, and although they usually have at least one in reserves, it's GOTTA be expensive.

I will however, wear a t-shirt with a flag image on it. I also have a US Flag leather jacket. I just don't see that as disrespectful in the slightest, as long as it is depicted in an honorable way.